Gryffindor Common Room

Options

Replies

• Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For V-day I let my creativity loose in the kitchen and came up with some super yummy chocolate cupcakes with a marshmellow glaze. I made some with a cherry filling and some with a strawberry filling, both of which have 99 calories a piece. I also made some with a chocolate pudding filling that have 100 calories a piece. Pure heaven with out all of the guilt!

yummy!
  • Honeybee511
    Options
    I hope everytone is having a good week! I have a SIMilation lab for school. It's with these "smart " manequins that are able to talk, cry, you can get vital signs off of them, lung sounds, etc. They are going to give us a senario and we have to work through what we would do to help him/her. I am excited!!!

I am having a pretty good week food wise (except for the box of chocolated for vday, oops!) I just love them sweets!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    First, I updated the Gryffindor Blog with the spreadsheet link and tips: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/the-guide-to-being-a-successful-gryffindor-144313

Second, here are the February Week 4 challenges:

WEEK 4:
    (Starting after check-in between 2/17-2/20
    and ending with check-in between 2/24-2/27)

OWL (exercise): Cross-over Crunches! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihSmBvM3tw4&feature=youtu.be

Each day you reach your daily goal you earn 5 OWLs, you earn 3 OWLs for reaching half way to your goal, and 1 OWL for trying but not reaching half way.
    NEWT (food): Sodium! Track your sodium for the week (if you don't already) and try to stay under 1500mg each day.

5 NEWTs for every day you stay under 1500mg, 3 NEWTs for every day you stay under 2000mg but you're not under 1500mg, and 1 NEWT for every day you stay under 2500mg but you're not under 2000mg.
    SPEW: Earn 1 point every time you post something encouraging or motivating or how your day is going in the Common Room (ANYTHING BUT A CHECK-IN POST COUNTS TOWARD YOUR SPEWs).
    Up to 5 points possible per day, 35 points possible for the week.
    ***Remember to double check the dates for this challenge! Don't start early and lessen your progress for the current week!

And here in the blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/february-gryffindor-owls-newts-201348
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    CW: 179.5
    HPs: 120
    Newts:15

My new check-in day is Saturday since today is my first official Spike day and they will continue to be on Saturdays. Then after Spike I will gain some weight, so I can't weigh in on Mondays anymore. Saw a bit of a loss today. Honestly, I'm not really celebrating unless it sticks. If I'm still down next Saturday, then I'll celebrate (but being the week after my very first Spike I'm wondering if it will stick or if it will take a few weeks to really see results).

Hope everyone has a restful weekend!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Sodium's going to be interesting, I do track it anyway, but don't usually manage to get it that low - great idea Bron! :)
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Griffs!

I haven't gotten on the scale in a while, but I am scared to :( I know I've been eating what I shouldn't and I haven't been logging any calories. It certainly doesn't help when my husband says he likes me better as I am (eating whatever and drinking everyday with him) then the dieting version of myself (counting calories and eating less) ;_; I don't like not fitting in my clothes, or seeing the fat rolls or the extra jiggle my body has :( I can't make 2 meals so he can have fatty stuff and I can have healthy stuff, I dunno what to do ;_; I love that he excepts me and loves me as I am, but I am miserable feeling and looking fat, and not seeing any progress and I know its because of me not working out or eating right as to why there is no loss.

Anyone have any suggestions or something that might help me get back on track?
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Griffs!

I haven't gotten on the scale in a while, but I am scared to :( I know I've been eating what I shouldn't and I haven't been logging any calories. It certainly doesn't help when my husband says he likes me better as I am (eating whatever and drinking everyday with him) then the dieting version of myself (counting calories and eating less) ;_; I don't like not fitting in my clothes, or seeing the fat rolls or the extra jiggle my body has :( I can't make 2 meals so he can have fatty stuff and I can have healthy stuff, I dunno what to do ;_; I love that he excepts me and loves me as I am, but I am miserable feeling and looking fat, and not seeing any progress and I know its because of me not working out or eating right as to why there is no loss.

Have you tried explaining how you feel and why you want to get in shape/lose weight? Some people have a hard time thinking of this as a lifestyle change instead of a diet and that will throw them off. My hubby was like that for quite a while until I was able to explain to him how much better I feel when I'm on track and either losing or staying steady vs. gaining.

Hope that helps!
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    CW: 163.2lbs - finally got a new scale. Not sure if the massive gain is due to the scale or eating crappy. Prolly both :grumble:
    NEWTs: 0
    OWLs: 0
    HPs: 1087
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    CW: 163.2lbs - finally got a new scale. Not sure if the massive gain is due to the scale or eating crappy. Prolly both :grumble:
    NEWTs: 0
    OWLs: 0
    HPs: 1087

I wouldn't sweat it until you get a few weigh ins on the new scale so you can see :)

Don't forget to also log your numbers on the spreadsheet! The link is here in the Common Room.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Good afternoon Griffs!

Well, I bet that's frustrating! I don't think you should even consider just sticking to the 'old you' if it doesn't make YOU happy. It won't be worth it.

That being said, if he doesn't want to eat healthy with you, maybe you can compromise. Maybe you can do what I do and have Fun Food Friday (or whatever day works for you). Have a day or even just one meal on one day a week where you eat something you've been craving that's not necessarily good for you. Or try to make healthier versions of the things he likes to eat for during the week and have the real thing on the weekends (with lots of workouts for you)?

I think there just has to be a point where he will compromise with you, or it's just not fair. Maybe HE can be responsible for feeding himself if he doesn't want to eat what you make? There's SO many meals that I almost prefer over junk food after getting used to not having junk every single day. Healthy eating doesn't have to mean boring at all. Maybe you can try to show him that?

Keep us posted on this and I'm sure we can give you more ideas or support!
  • Nekoashi
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the advice! I've got a find a good way of explaining why I want to lose weight without getting emotional or whiny about it (its hard for me, I am just a big cry baby ;_; lol) He likes it when I smile because the scale weight went down, or when I am happy something fits a tiny tiny bit better, so he can see loosing weight is making me feel better about myself. He knows I am trying hard and I can easily brought back to my old habits, but doesn't see that he's a big part of why I end up going back to my old ways LOL. I certainly don't mean to make things boring with healthier food and calorie counting :(

I've noticed that when we have 2 days in a row of fatty foods, it snow balls into more of it, so maybe designating 1 day will be good for us, I like the idea of it being a Friday :P and as the weather warms up, fruit will be in season, extra yummy, and pretty affordable.

We did make some baby steps when we went to the store today, we got more stuff for sandwiches and talked about making some healthy food in our crockpot next week :) I know microwave dinners are high in salt, but for the lazier days I now I have some lean cuisine and smart right (whatever the brand name is) that are pretty low in calories for a microwave dinner and maybe they'll deter me from ordering a pizza or opening up a bag of potato chips and eating all of them for a meal... yeah I've done that before, so embarrassing LOL
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the advice! I've got a find a good way of explaining why I want to lose weight without getting emotional or whiny about it (its hard for me, I am just a big cry baby ;_; lol) He likes it when I smile because the scale weight went down, or when I am happy something fits a tiny tiny bit better, so he can see loosing weight is making me feel better about myself. He knows I am trying hard and I can easily brought back to my old habits, but doesn't see that he's a big part of why I end up going back to my old ways LOL. I certainly don't mean to make things boring with healthier food and calorie counting :(

I've noticed that when we have 2 days in a row of fatty foods, it snow balls into more of it, so maybe designating 1 day will be good for us, I like the idea of it being a Friday :P and as the weather warms up, fruit will be in season, extra yummy, and pretty affordable.

We did make some baby steps when we went to the store today, we got more stuff for sandwiches and talked about making some healthy food in our crockpot next week :) I know microwave dinners are high in salt, but for the lazier days I now I have some lean cuisine and smart right (whatever the brand name is) that are pretty low in calories for a microwave dinner and maybe they'll deter me from ordering a pizza or opening up a bag of potato chips and eating all of them for a meal... yeah I've done that before, so embarrassing LOL

I think those are great first steps! I wouldn't worry about the sodium in those meals right now if it means you're not pigging out on worse things. It's still a better option :) Just remember you can still have things you love, but in moderation. You can't expect to be perfect all the time or you'll get burnt out. I learned that the hard way!
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Checked in and updated for this week.
  • Honeybee511
    Options
    Good morning! I checked in! No loss for me this week. :( I tend to do really bad over the weekend since I work every weekend and don't have time to go to the gym and then eat like crap. I feel like I cant get over the 160 mark and it is driving me INSANE! I sabatoge myself every time! I got to 159 the other day, then I stuffed my face and gained it back! Its so frustrating! Sorry, vent over.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    A whopping huge 120lb today, partly due to overeating because I'm on holiday and losing all sense of self control, but also partly (I hope!!) due to TOM! :bigsmile:

Jetlag and my birthday might mess up next week, but I'll try not to go nuts!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Good morning! I checked in! No loss for me this week. :( I tend to do really bad over the weekend since I work every weekend and don't have time to go to the gym and then eat like crap. I feel like I cant get over the 160 mark and it is driving me INSANE! I sabatoge myself every time! I got to 159 the other day, then I stuffed my face and gained it back! Its so frustrating! Sorry, vent over.

Maybe you can try to prepare some meals and/or snacks ahead of time during the week? Then even when you don't have time to make good food, you can grab it? I don't blame you for being frustrated. It's hard to keep it together when you're busy!
  • Nekoashi
    Options
    Good afternoon! checked in on our awesome google spread sheet. Weighed in and I'm 169.5! finally out of the 170's!!! :bigsmile: I hope everyone has had a great Monday and has an awesome week planned! :smile:
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    good afternoon my fellow gryffindors!! hope you are all having a great day, its half way through the week and i hope you are all setting acheivable goals but reaching higher than where you set them!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    A whopping huge 120lb today, partly due to overeating because I'm on holiday and losing all sense of self control, but also partly (I hope!!) due to TOM! :bigsmile:

Jetlag and my birthday might mess up next week, but I'll try not to go nuts!
    Home at last, and down to 118.4 this morning, looks like it was TOM that took me back up over my target weight (119lb), fingers firmly crossed!

Been working out a recipe for Tom Yum soup today, made a bowl at lunchtime and another for dinner - the good news is that I've cracked it and it's delicious, the bad news is, it's TWICE as much sodium as I'd usually have, so sorry about that fellow Gryffindors... :embarassed:

Hope everyone's having a good week and enjoying the challenges. :smile:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    In case you've not peeked into the Great Hall to see the January results...WE WON THE QUIDDITCH CUP!

Congrats, Gryffs! You're all so wonderful!

You make me proud. :)