Stage 2

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    (....this from the girl who can't do push-ups from the ground!)

Although, today I continued to work on the "hundred pushups" program and I did 4 - 4 - 3 - 3 (all in PERFECT form and all FROM THE GROUND!)
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to peek at this thread and see what I'm getting into when I start Stage 2 next week! Any advice from those of you who've already done a few workouts??
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think you'll LOVE it, DarkAngel! (I did.)

I'll be sorry to leave it...particularly since I've read through the Stage 3 thread and the DREADED BODY MATRIX shows up in that Stage!!

Aaaaaggghhhhhh.....but, I get to go to Hawaii, FIRST, before starting Stage 3. I think, by the time I'm doing Stage 3, a TON of people will be into that Stage (or maybe even in-and-out of it).

With only 8 (total) work-outs in each of the remaining stages, you can see how you start REALLY ZIPPING ALONG!

I'm doing my last A work-out in Stage 2, today!

:cry:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I had a kind-of crappy workout, today.

:sad:

I already posted it on the "Daily Chat Thread", so you can read it overthere.

Anyway, that was my last "A" work-out and, despite my intentions going in, I didn't set any (noteworthy) PR's or anything.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I finally read through this entire thread. I did my Stage 2, Workout A1 yesterday and I LOVED it. Am I the only one who likes it? I'm thinking maybe I liked it so much because it was my first workout with my new weights. I did all of Stage 1 with adjustable-weight dumbbells and I think I wasn't squatting NEARLY enough weight. (I had to stop at 60 lb. because I couldn't lift the dumbbells up over my shoulders at a heavier weight.) I thought the front squat/push press was a lot of fun. I thought I would start with 60 lb. (since that was the last weight I squatted), but it was a joke. I could easily squat the 60 lb., but I couldn't press it! Ha! I dropped back to just the bar and it was great.....The squats were super-easy but the push press part gave a GREAT burn.

I'm a little nervous about doing the B workouts because it sounds like a lot of you don't like all the ab work. I like to keep my heart rate up while lifting, so I'm thinking workout B might not be my cup of tea.

Anyway, I'm happy to be in Stage 2 and look forward to progressing even more. :drinker:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I liked Stage 2. In fact, I was trying to figure out a way to get a couple more Stage 2 work-outs in, before Hawaii, but it just isn't going to work out that way. Which is fine. I also feel like my body is in need of "rest".

I sucked at my cardio, today....and I feel like if I have to lift my hands over my head, for any other reason today, I won't be able to!

And, all that pounding has exacerbated my heel (again!). Sheesh....it's been 4 months and I hope, to heck, it heals in Hawaii because nothing else is really working.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I want to go back to Hawaii... I loved it. My avatar picture was taken after we hiked Diamond Head, we shared a Hawaiian Ice. Have a great time Beeps.

Instead, I will start Stage 2 on Wednesday. I took about 10 days off in between Stage 1 and Stage 2. I was having some pain in my knees and wrist. I discovered that I was using my knees too much in the squat and I have had wrist issues in the past. It flares up with too many push-up, I was doing 3 sets of 12 on the floor. I am looking forward to Wednesday :)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello all!!! I did A1 and B1 this weekend (Fri and Sun) I love the change. I find the ab workouts pretty easy. I had to modify some exercises since I am working out at home. So for the lat pulldown and the horizontal wood chop I am using bands. I am afraid it wont get too challenging as the time goes by...any others working out at home and using bands? Everything else was fine using DB. I too have adjustable DB. Oh, and I dont have an incline bench so I did the cuban exercise leaning my chest on the ball. I used 5 lb DB I thought it was pretty challenging...maybe is time for me to buy an incline bench. I've always wanted to have one at the house. I know eventually I would need to workout at the gym but so far so good...:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Better - I think that is VERY COOL that the photo for your avatar was taken at Diamond Head!! Nice!

alf - I'm glad you are enjoying Stage 2.

I'll be back at it on Wednesday.
  • silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ~ Beeps, I hope you have a great time in Hawaii! ~

I did B2 today (I keep ending up only managing to go twice a week, not three times, so it is a bit slow going). I was feeling pretty crap going into the gym and just wanted to make it through the workout, and so not to worried about pushing myself to up the weights. . .

I added 5kg to my deadlift, though I am still 5kg below what I was doing in stage 1 - I find the wide grip hard on my hands and am worried about dropping the whole thing!

The under handed lat pull down feels like a much nicer move to me than the wide-grip one, though again, I have stepped down from the top weight I was using in stage one.

The squats and lunges weren't too bad. Actually the lunges seemed too easy and then I realised I wasn't bringing the weight of my torso back when stepping back (must have been really leaning forward without noticing)

Cuban snatch: I *still* don't feel like I can get full Range Of Motion - I grabbed 5kg dumbbells for workout 1, and went even lighter with 3kg today. I'm not sure whether to drop the weight further, or just perserve with 3kg next time?? I don't think I'm getting them right up to my ears. . .

Anyway I feel much better after my workout than I did before hand, so that is a good thing :-)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    silver, it sounds like you are progressing - and that's always key. I'm not sure if the cuban snatch has my grip at my ears, either....but, I'm moving the weight as far as my range of motion allows (maybe it's a range of motion, thing??).

I need a work-out SOOOOOOOOOOO badly.....I can feel the stress coursing through my body and that's NOT a good thing. Today I'm doing cardio because I have to burn off the stress - I'll return to weights, tomorrow.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Before I start this stage could I ask how long does the actual workout take you guys? That's not including the warm up or cool down?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was meticulous with timing rests on stage 2 and averaged 45-50 minutes on workout A, not counting warm-up and cool-down. Workout B was closer to 70 minutes, with the intervals.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think jarrett has it right....I did all of my work-outs in less than one hour, but I had to super-set the ab work in "B" in order to cut down the length of time. And, that actually included my warm-up (although the hour didn't include much of a cool-down or a stretch.)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Oh balls, it's gonna be really hard to get these in my life. I do not have that long to get them into a day (on my work days). I work 12-13 hour days. I will need to do these on the days I work. The gym is half an hour away from me as well.
    I'll find a way. I need to find a way. I am literally gonna have to plan my day to the second. :laugh:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit, Venom...and I just noticed you have bats in your belfry. Brilliant!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    thankyou, I like your commitment. Seriously. I had to re-tool my days, too. I start work earlier, I leave work later, and I race to the gym over my lunch-hour. But, I've been doing it for 7-8 weeks, now, and it feels like it was ALWAYS this way. (Also, I'm doing my HIIT on my off-days....so, I know Stage 3 brings the dreaded "body matrix" into the NROL4W program and I simply will NOT be able to manage those on my lifting days.)

I'm here to support your commitment. Yep, shuffling and managing time (to the minute!) might be the order of the day - but the results will be 100% WORTH ALL THAT EFFORT!
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    The workouts are much longer :(
    I don't observe the rest periods at all for the core part at the end of workout B. I just go ahead and do em back to back. I do much harder core workouts back to back in body balance and pilates anyway. In fact I may just skip that part if I'm doing pilates the next day, then I can follow up the pilates with the HIIT.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just did Stage 2; 1A yesterday.... those squat presses were killer! I felt like I was taking a step backwards when I had to start with lower weights than what i was squatting in Stage 1, but I totally see why its necessary. Loved the cable wood chops too... I can definitely feel my muscles today but I'm not overly sore (maybe that will kick in tomorrow?) so I'm looking forward to increasing the weights on everything. Overall I really liked each of the new exercises.....

....except the static lunge :grumble: Seriously hating on the lunges... lol
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    it's funny....in Stage 1, I really hated the lunges, but now I like them. I think they are easier on my back, then squats/deadlifts, but they work the same "lower body" area that I'm UBER-concerned about!

It is my last Stage 2 work-out, today. "B" will be done in a couple of hours and then I'll mourn.

:(

I'm not going to start Stage 3 until I get back from Hawaii. So, I'm meeting with my PT on Friday and Monday to do some "interim" work-outs. Plus, I'm getting the caliper test on Friday, although I'm not sure "why", since it's not supposed to be very reliable. I should probably just wait and do the underwater weighing when I'm closer to "goal".