1235»

Replies

• methodless
    Options
    I think my last post got deleted and I don't want to retype it

but in summary

Yes Strength Training
    Am Trying to lose weight

Was 184 this morning, looking to be 160-170.
    I'm not as fat as my weight as I am already carrying just under 140 lbs of muscle
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Methodless--no one called you fat and you shouldn't call yourself fat either. Be kind to yourself!!

Jillybean--way to go!! Baby steps!!
  • methodless
    Options
    Progress: I netted just over 1100 calories yesterday - I expected a little more to be honest, but again, didn't starve myself :)
    Options
    Progress: I netted just over 1100 calories yesterday - I expected a little more to be honest, but again, didn't starve myself :)

1100 NET calories? really? that IS starving yourself.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Hey man, progress is progress! Keep it up! :)
    Options
    best of luck to you all--i don't think this group is for me.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

Well yay for progress! But don't kid yourself, that's still starving yourself, just not quite to the same extreme.
  • methodless
    Options
    Net is after workouts right?

I ate well over 1500 to begin with
  • methodless
    Options

I hope this isn't because of me
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options

Hey Love, remember we all have slightly different reasons we're here for. It's totally up to you of course, but we're not just here to support people struggling on the eating side of things... That's not the camp I fall into either. Plus you have some pretty great wisdom to offer. I don't know, I can't quite seem to communicate properly what I'm trying to say to you.
  • methodless
    Options
    Time for the weekend, no working out and no worrying about calories :)
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Got seriously enlightened this weekend in my running coach certification class. In regards both to under eating and overtraining, and obviously how to coach others as well. I am VERY excited and overwhelmed by all the knowledge, but before I try and help others, I need to first fix my own training philosophy. I go far too hard for far too many of my runs, so I'm going to cut it back and see what happens.

How's everyone doing on this fine Monday (err Tuesday for you New Zealanders)?
  • methodless
    Options
    I ate WAY too many calories on Saturday (well over 3000)

But no gym on Friday Saturday or Sunday - so I was able to stay away

Now I have to fight the guilt and temptation to make up for it this week.
    I'm already planning my day around a 1000+ calorie workout though...
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Feeling like a whale. Huge and horrible. Why on earth should I be eating more just to gain weight?!!! ARrrrr I know, I know.

I'm considering giving up Pump for a while, just while I try and get this aerobic system back on track and starting to work properly. As I'm reading through this book, in the section about aerobic dysfunction it says that if you've got it bad, and you're trying to sort it, you need to stop all anaerobic work altogether for a while. And Pump, and any kind of weight training, is anaerobic. I really like it, and I like the strength it's given me, but maybe the break would do me some good. Just focus on easy running, walking, and maybe some pilates or yoga type stuff.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Method - So you undereat/overtrain during the week so you can overeat and rest on the weekends? Is that your philosophy...or am I assuming something?!

Nita - Yeahhh. Don't you love the "bloat" that comes along with eating more than you feel like you should. I feel like a giant fat kid a lot of the time, clearly I am not and neither are you. Mental battles suck sometimes! I had no idea weight lifting was anaerobic? I don't lift super heavy (mostly I can't afford to keep buying heavier weights) but my HR also doesn't get up super high and I don't struggle to breathe like I do with running. Hmm. I'm not dropping any strength training from my routine right now.

Ahh man, just found this (on Wiki, but it has reputable sources):
    Strength training exercise is primarily anaerobic.[41] Even while training at a lower intensity (training loads of ~20-RM), anaerobic glycolysis is still the major source of power, although aerobic metabolism makes a small contribution.[42] Weight training is commonly perceived as anaerobic exercise, because one of the more common goals is to increase strength by lifting heavy weights. Other goals such as rehabilitation, weight loss, body shaping, and bodybuilding often use lower weights, adding aerobic character to the exercise.

Except in the extremes, a muscle will fire fibres of both the aerobic or anaerobic types on any given exercise, in varying ratio depending on the load on the intensity of the contraction.[7] This is known as the energy system continuum. At higher loads, the muscle will recruit all muscle fibres possible, both anaerobic ("fast-twitch") and aerobic ("slow-twitch"), in order to generate the most force. However, at maximum load, the anaerobic processes contract so forcefully that the aerobic fibers are completely shut out, and all work is done by the anaerobic processes. Because the anaerobic muscle fibre uses its fuel faster than the blood and intracellular restorative cycles can resupply it, the maximum number of repetitions is limited.[43] In the aerobic regime, the blood and intracellular processes can maintain a supply of fuel and oxygen, and continual repetition of the motion will not cause the muscle to fail.

Circuit weight training is a form of exercise that uses a number of weight training exercise sets separated by short intervals. The cardiovascular effort to recover from each set serves a function similar to an aerobic exercise, but this is not the same as saying that a weight training set is itself an aerobic process. {/quote]
  • methodless
    Options
    That's not my "philosophy"
    I just have a crazy weekend schedule and I don't eat as healthy.
    I certainly drink way more calories throughout the weekend and I don't have time to workout

But yes, because I overtrain and "undereat" throughout the week, I feel less guilty about the 2nd cookie or the 3rd glass of juice or the 4th slice of pizza.

I am not genuinely trying to undereat throughout the week, I am genuinely full on the calories I eat, I started overtraining out of frustration because nothing I did was taking the weight off, 600 calories of cardio a day and for 2 years I lost nothing - in fact ended up gaining.

Now I am eating less calories by having lower carb foods and still overtraining - but mainly because I have the physical ability to and it is still part of my routine.

However, I am in a bad stretch of 5 days, I am too busy at work to go to the gym for long enough. I'm itching to do a massive make-up workout
  • Dangerdat
    Dangerdat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took a week off to rest. Life is good. My body thanked me.

HAD MY FIRST BEER IN FIVE MONTHS AND THEN ATE MORE PEANUT BUTTER, HOLLA!
  • methodless
    Options
    Grrrrr!
    No time at the gym today either

I'm actually slightly over my calories today, but I am planning a very long date with the elliptical tomorrow
  • methodless
    Options
    I guess on average I didn't overtrain :)

Over the last 7 days, I am only 402 calories under my goals, which means I should have lost 1.1 lbs this week :)