Progress so far

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Up 1.2 lbs again this week :(

Still lifting weights but I'm getting discouraged by the lack of change of scale.

Tape measure says waist is -1", but the first time I measured wasn't in the morning either (but this time was) so it might not be "real".

Mifflin BMR = 1463
    Start weight last week = 170.6
    Daily goals calories = 1800
    Avg cals = 1752
    Avg exercise = 296
    Net above BMR = -2

Ending weight 171.8

So, since knuckling down on this effort 6 weeks ago (starting out at 171.4 lbs), no progress (other than a possible waist measurement change depending on bloat).

Feeling pretty down :cry:
    Avg Net cals = 1456 (but I'm sure it's a little higher in actuality due to things like fro-yo toppings, etc. that are impossible to measure accurately).

Well, to gain real 1 lb weight, as in fat, you would have to be 3500 calories, or 500 daily, above your maintenance level, on avg.
    You are probably eating at 500 under your current maintenance level, so you would have to be eating about 1000 extra cal's over 1800 to be gaining real weight.

Now, to gain 1lb of energy stores as in glucose and water, just 500 extra cal's of storage would be 1lb. That can be the difference of several days of intense cardio and not enough carbs to top of storage, resulting in a low reading, or high reading if you did get topped off compared to before.
    Muscles also get better at doing this storage once they start getting used in a manner that needs it.
    Your weight lifting has probably not add muscle, perhaps barely, since you need a free 600 cal to create muscle, so that means a free 600 more from fat, which means you can't toe the line to your BMR for real muscle gain.
    But the muscle you are training will get better at storage.

You might try the bodyfat% calc, and then plug that into BMR, to see what that estimated BMR is, more accurate, and might tell you if really undercutting it.
    Another measurement best done morning after rest day, though today is ok before your next workout.

Covert Bailey is more accurate and consistent - http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    Plug figure in here - http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_bmr.html

How does that BMR figure compare to Mifflin? Mifflin based on avg ratio BF/LBM, if you are getting more muscle, or still way less, the figure could be off.

And I'll bet waist measurement is good, unless last measurement was after a heavy workout.
  • heybales
    Options
    Feeling pretty down :cry:
    Avg Net cals = 1456 (but I'm sure it's a little higher in actuality due to things like fro-yo toppings, etc. that are impossible to measure accurately).

I'm really sorry it's so slow right now, maybe other things are going on.

But just to encourage you, I think I saw your comment on one of those threads about eating more and successes, and one of the simple methods was TDEE estimate - 20%. Now, not the spreadsheet TDEE estimate, because that is underestimated easily.

So your 5 workouts a week, with BMR 1463 x 1.55 = 2268 x 0.8 = 1814.

Look at that, right there about. And as your Net above BMR shows, right about there.
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that was too close, considering working out 5 x weekly. And might need to be a tad higher.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to just start eating more without slowly working up? I went from 1400 cals to about 2300 per day (i'm trying to maintain and fix my metabolism before losing) in the course of about 3 weeks rather than stretching it out over a longer pwriod of time. Ive been undereating and netting around 1000 cals since 2006.
    I want to fix things, not just gain weight... This is my maintenance level according to my body media fit.
    Any input?
  • heybales
    Options
    Is it ok to just start eating more without slowly working up? I went from 1400 cals to about 2300 per day (i'm trying to maintain and fix my metabolism before losing) in the course of about 3 weeks rather than stretching it out over a longer pwriod of time. Ive been undereating and netting around 1000 cals since 2006.
    I want to fix things, not just gain weight... This is my maintenance level according to my body media fit.
    Any input?

So if metabolism really is running that slow, your true maintenance level is really much lower, so 2300 could be over your current maintenance level by some amount. And if you eat above maintenance level, well, it is stored as fat unless used for other things.

To work out if that is the case, take the multiplier that is used to determine your current maintenance level based on current weight estimated BMR.

2300 / current BMR = multiplier.
    Current truer BMR 1000 x multiplier = more correct daily maintenance right now.

That's a surplus of whatever cal's a day. Of course, your metabolism should start rising, so it will be diminishing surplus.

What you could do during this time of BMR rising - weights. You build muscle with surplus calories, especially make it decent protein.
    And lift weights smartly but like crazy. 4 or 5 days a week, alternate upper and lower body so you truly get recovery time for the extra cals to be put to use.
    And one day of long calm cardio, to use all that new muscle with something fat burning. I'd start after a rest day with the cardio, then 2 weight sessions, 1 rest, 2 weights.

if you are loving some cardio routine now, like biking or running, and want to get stronger in that, replace 2 weights days with a good HIIT routine and followup day recovery routine. That'll build muscle at least for what you are enjoying.
  • wordpainter09
    Options
    Thanks. I actually do both - lift 2 to 3 days per week and do five days of cardio- total about 20 miles per week. My Bmr is supposedly 1422. Cw 135, height 5'5".
    From your calculations, divide 2300/1422 and multiply that by 1000? Will do. Im pretty used to eating by now:smile:
    But im guessing youre right, at last weigh in have already gained almost 5 lbs in 4 weeks! Heard this is normal for someone with a screwed up metabolism to gain but I dont want it to go forever!
  • wordpainter09
    Options
    Wow that only lets me eat 1600... With my workout levels Id be netting under my BMR at that rate which isnt good... Im not afraid of some weight gain if its temp/ for the cause of metabolism repair. Just not sure how much is normal.
    Ive been eating at least 2000 for about 3 weeks now.
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow that only lets me eat 1600... With my workout levels Id be netting under my BMR at that rate which isnt good... Im not afraid of some weight gain if its temp/ for the cause of metabolism repair. Just not sure how much is normal.
    Ive been eating at least 2000 for about 3 weeks now.

oh, that's great already! probably saw the max of it then. So for awhile you were at maintenance 1600. But that has probably been coming up this whole time.

And most likely 3lb of that was glucose stores finally being topped off, which carries water with it too.

So if NETTING at 2000 normally now, appears metabolism has probably risen to over 1200.

And you may have fun seeing what true metabolism could be based on your workouts giving you more muscle than average lady.
    www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
  • wordpainter09
    Options
    Thanks!! I hope this actually works... and I really hope it's over 1200 by now :P
    I love weights! They rock :)

I don't have a tape measure at the moment but I'll use this link when I have one on me.
  • heybales
    Options
    Progress Week 8

Current BMR = 1740 (Katch BF% is 1850)
    Goal calories = 2430

Average calorie intake per day = 2509
    Average Exercise burn per day = 523
    Average Net Calories = 1986
    Net above BMR - 246 (136 if using Katch BMR)

Weight lost this week = 0.4 lbs

Only had time for waist measurement - down 0.75" from last week.

Daily intake higher than expected because I added extra hour on Sat bike ride.
    Also did massive weight routine for me on Sun/Mon, and legs still so sore, I know retaining water, so might have been more weight loss if not for that.

And on 4/9, a total rest week eating about BMR 1900.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Weekly update:

Start 171.8 lbs
    BMR: 1473

Avg food: 1846
    Avg exercise: 207
    Avg Net: 1639
    Net over BMR: 168

End: 171.2 lbs
    "loss" = .6

Not sure what to make of it. Is it a real loss for the week? Yesterday morning the scale said 172.4
    Still lifting weights. No spinning. Measurements same.
  • powermom52
    Options
    Thank you I appreciate the guidance in both to unstick my being stuck and posting. Thanks I'll follow your advice.

powermom52
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Here are my results so far following this method:
    Week 1 1.2 pounds lost
    Week 2 1.4 pounds lost
    Week 3 1.4 pounds lost
    Week 4 1 pounds lost
    Week 5 0.4 pounds lost
    Week 6 0.2 pounds lost
    Week 7 0 pounds lost
    Week 8 1.8 pounds lost
    Week 9 0.2 pounds lost

Total 7.6 pounds lost....less than 1# per week. I am 28 pounds from my goal weight.

Week 9 Check:

Start Weight date 3/27/12
    Start BMR 1388
    Food Exercise Net
    Tues, March 27 1796 685 1111
    Wed, March 28 1680 300 1380
    Thurs, March 29 1761 500 1261
    Friday, March 30 1566 270 1296
    Sat, March 31 1749 0 1749
    Sunday, April 01 1495 402 1093
    Monday, April 02 1654 415 1239

Weekly totals 11701 2572 9129
    Daily average 1672 367 1304

End Weight -0.2
    End BMR 1387
    Net above BMR -83

I'm glad it's still heading in the right direction and I love not starving myself, but would like to see the scale move faster. Any advice?
  • heybales
    Options
    Weekly totals 11701 2572 9129
    Daily average 1672 367 1304

End Weight -0.2
    End BMR 1387
    Net above BMR -83

I'm glad it's still heading in the right direction and I love not starving myself, but would like to see the scale move faster. Any advice?

Usually net below your BMR? I know just a little, but for working out everyday, should be about 100-200 above.

And/or make a rest day. Really, if body can't recover from workouts, they weren't that effective. Now, you may be having pretty gentle workouts, low intensity, like Moderate level in the activity calc. In which case it would be better to take a rest day, and make the workout the day before more intense.

I know I'm talking about body improvement here, but that rest day will also allow some fat burning without stress of a workout.
    I agree, you could be at 1lb or more easily a week.
    But like me, focus is on exercise right now. You've seen my progress, just measurements getting better.
    So I have a whole week next week in school and homework, so no exercise at all. I'm going to make it a complete 7 days too. Just need a break, and eat slightly above BMR.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know if its pure coincidence or some sort of universe-influenced event, but since I stopped weighing myself daily (always did it for the sake of it) on a challenge from a friend on MFP, my weight seems to have actually started to come down. *knock wood knock wood knock wood knock wood *

2 Fridays ago, I weighed in at 61.2kg
    Last friday, same thing - sweet, I'm maintaining a new low.
    Today: 61kg

Haven't taken measurements yet, but will on Monday (or sunday, if I don't get to the gym tomorrow).

I haven't changed anything major in my diet, and still eating at around 1700, which is pretty much spot on what I should be eating based on bf% (without bf%, site tells me I should be eating closer to 1800/1900).
  • heybales
    Options
    2 Fridays ago, I weighed in at 61.2kg
    Last friday, same thing - sweet, I'm maintaining a new low.
    Today: 61kg

Haven't taken measurements yet, but will on Monday (or sunday, if I don't get to the gym tomorrow).

I haven't changed anything major in my diet, and still eating at around 1700, which is pretty much spot on what I should be eating based on bf% (without bf%, site tells me I should be eating closer to 1800/1900).

Good to hear.
    Problem using existing BF% stat with future weight if you are using the website instead of the spreadsheet.
    Future weight with less lbs but with current higher BF%, means less lean body mass for future you, which is not the case.
    So you could enter in future desired BF% with future weight.

Either way, the spreadsheet weekly spot check should show you NET'ing above your current BF% BMR by a small but decent amount.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Usually net below your BMR? I know just a little, but for working out everyday, should be about 100-200 above.

And/or make a rest day. Really, if body can't recover from workouts, they weren't that effective. Now, you may be having pretty gentle workouts, low intensity, like Moderate level in the activity calc. In which case it would be better to take a rest day, and make the workout the day before more intense.

I know I'm talking about body improvement here, but that rest day will also allow some fat burning without stress of a workout.
    I agree, you could be at 1lb or more easily a week.
    But like me, focus is on exercise right now. You've seen my progress, just measurements getting better.
    So I have a whole week next week in school and homework, so no exercise at all. I'm going to make it a complete 7 days too. Just need a break, and eat slightly above BMR.

Yes, I am almost always below my BMR....BMR is 1388 and the only day I was above it was my rest day - Saturday. I always get at least one rest day in each week. This week, I've had two because I was tired and knew I needed them. :-) I did do measurements at the beginning of March and was happy with the progress YTD - and I've noticed my clothes fitting better, or being too big.

So, you think I should be eating slightly more each day that I workout - between 1900 and 2000 instead of my usual 1800, even though it'll put me in the red? I'm willing to try.....
  • salxtai
    Options
    So you could enter in future desired BF% with future weight.

Either way, the spreadsheet weekly spot check should show you NET'ing above your current BF% BMR by a small but decent amount.

Can't remember if I ended up working it out with desired future BF% - I'll give it a go

.... and I have to confess I haven't used the spreadsheet to do weekly spot checks... :embarassed: Maybe I should?

Addit: forgot to add, I tried the dress on I wore for the previous cohort's graduation ball back in Sept of 2011, and its too loose now. Great - now I have to go buy a dress (I hate buying dresses, haha. I look horrible in them) :tongue:
  • heybales
    Options
    Yes, I am almost always below my BMR....BMR is 1388 and the only day I was above it was my rest day - Saturday. I always get at least one rest day in each week. This week, I've had two because I was tired and knew I needed them. :-) I did do measurements at the beginning of March and was happy with the progress YTD - and I've noticed my clothes fitting better, or being too big.

So, you think I should be eating slightly more each day that I workout - between 1900 and 2000 instead of my usual 1800, even though it'll put me in the red? I'm willing to try.....

So if the activity calculator is loaded correctly, then it may be you need to just increase goal by at least 100 per day, every day. It appears on avg that should put you over BMR.

So you will still have days netting under BMR, but the rest days and lighter workout days is the balance.
    But overall, does appear a tad higher would not hurt.
    Remember if you add a workout or time to a workout compared to what was planned in activity calculator, you eat some extra. May appear in red that day by nice even 200 - 400 say. I know for me, and that's why I put it into the revised spreadsheet, 30 min is about 215, 60 min is 430. I'll spread that much extra over 2 days. And if I miss a workout, same deficit, again spread out over 2 days perhaps. Actually, now with longer bike rides, I think if I add an hour on Sat, I'll just drop 30 min from 2 other workouts during the week. Though it does make it easy to have dinner out on Sat night with 400 extra! ah ha.
  • salxtai
    Options
    Okay, so these are the comparisons I get.

Using ideal weight (12hrs rest, 12 v light):
    BMR 1415
    Activity: 354
    Total cal: 1769

Using ideal weight + 19% BF (12hrs rest, 12 v light):
    BMR 1420
    Activity: 355
    Total Cal: 1775

Spreadsheet (sedentary activity):
    BMR 1337
    Activity: 374
    Total Cal: 1711

Seems 1700 is about right then.
  • heybales
    Options
    Okay, so these are the comparisons I get.

Using ideal weight (12hrs rest, 12 v light):
    BMR 1415
    Activity: 354
    Total cal: 1769

Using ideal weight + 19% BF (12hrs rest, 12 v light):
    BMR 1420
    Activity: 355
    Total Cal: 1775

Spreadsheet (sedentary activity):
    BMR 1337
    Activity: 374
    Total Cal: 1711

Seems 1700 is about right then.

Yep, if your BF% is about avg for age/weight/height, there isn't much difference.

The spreadsheet uses the more current/accurate Mifflin BMR, hence it being lower. In which case, your BF% estimate is better.
    so better to stick to that calc.

Forgot you were doing exercise eat-back., but you still might benefit from doing 100 more to push over your BMR.