Getting Started

Options

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ok I am so confused, I have read the book and looked on here. What routine am I suppose to be following. I understand I start at stage 1 but do I do all of A (squats) all workouts or just 1,2 ? Do I do A then B1 on the same day, Im lost. Someone please write this in crayon so I get it. I must have missed something. thanks

You do workout A, take a day off, then do workout B, take a day off, then do workout A again. Keep alternating. Clear it up for ya?

Im sorry I usually get things very easy but for some reason Im not getting this. So I do all of work out A on one day. Squats, push ups, seated row, step ups, prone jackknife all workouts 1-8? Is that right?

Just to add: the work outs are laid out weird in the book. You will see that next to Workout 1,2 it shows 2 sets of 15 reps and then it goes down to 12 reps on Workout 3,4 then 10 on Workout 5,6. That is to show you that on the first 2 times you do work out A (aka Workout 1 and 2) you will do the set of squats (not all the squats in that section) 2 times for 15 reps then move on to the next exercise.

So you will alternate A and B 8 times for a total of 16 workouts in Stage 1.

Hope this makes since. It totally confused me too!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ok I am so confused, I have read the book and looked on here. What routine am I suppose to be following. I understand I start at stage 1 but do I do all of A (squats) all workouts or just 1,2 ? Do I do A then B1 on the same day, Im lost. Someone please write this in crayon so I get it. I must have missed something. thanks

You do workout A, take a day off, then do workout B, take a day off, then do workout A again. Keep alternating. Clear it up for ya?

Im sorry I usually get things very easy but for some reason Im not getting this. So I do all of work out A on one day. Squats, push ups, seated row, step ups, prone jackknife all workouts 1-8? Is that right?

Just to add: the work outs are laid out weird in the book. You will see that next to Workout 1,2 it shows 2 sets of 15 reps and then it goes down to 12 reps on Workout 3,4 then 10 on Workout 5,6. That is to show you that on the first 2 times you do work out A (aka Workout 1 and 2) you will do the set of squats (not all the squats in that section) 2 times for 15 reps then move on to the next exercise.

So you will alternate A and B 8 times for a total of 16 workouts in Stage 1.

Hope this makes since. It totally confused me too!

OMG I must be confusing myself or something. So what does the workout 1,2 workout 3,4 and so on mean? Is the mon wed fri? Like I do all of workout 1's on mon, workout 2's on wed and workout 3's on friday? If so what about 4-8? I must be an idiot. lol
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

OMG I must be confusing myself or something. So what does the workout 1,2 workout 3,4 and so on mean? Is the mon wed fri? Like I do all of workout 1's on mon, workout 2's on wed and workout 3's on friday? If so what about 4-8? I must be an idiot. lol

Yes...
    :flowerforyou: and you are not an idiot... we all go through this confusion.:huh:
  • thomassd1969
    Options

Yes...
    :flowerforyou: and you are not an idiot... we all go through this confusion.:huh:

Ok awesome, so what about 4-8 when are those done?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Yes...

Ok awesome, so what about 4-8 when are those done?

Workout A is 1
    Workout B is 2
    Workout A is 3
    Workout B is 4
    Workout A is 5
    Workout B is 6
    Workout A is 7
    Workout B is 8

Workout 3 reduces reps from 15 to 12 -- so that's the only change for 3,4. Workout 5 reduces reps from 12 to 10 but adds another set (so instead of twice, you have 3).
  • thomassd1969
    Options
    ok thanks so much. I run tonight so I will start workouts tomorrow night.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am beginning week 3. Thoughts so far:

I recently started doing squats with the smith machine. It's a little strange at first but I can lift SO much more because I'm not using my weak arms.

I have NOT been paying attention to the number of reps. I have been trying to do all 15, even when I raise the weights. Which I have doing, slightly, every week. Sometimes I can't make all 15 - I remember the part in the book that says not to sacrifice form for reps.

I used a seated row machine for the first time last night....I like it better than using dumbells (I keep staring at the cable machine, trying to figure out how to use it :blushing: )
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah but most importantly! I upped my cals to 1776 (based on the formula, minus 300). Lifting makes me eat more, and I don't usually make that number (cause I go OVER) but not a whole lot, I'm not bent out of shape about it.

I keep waiting and hoping that one week, I'll step on the scale and weight will be GONE. Like the last time I upped my cals (beforse I started this program). The scale has gone up about 3 1/2 lbs since April 20th. It sucks.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah but most importantly! I upped my cals to 1776 (based on the formula, minus 300). Lifting makes me eat more, and I don't usually make that number (cause I go OVER) but not a whole lot, I'm not bent out of shape about it.

I keep waiting and hoping that one week, I'll step on the scale and weight will be GONE. Like the last time I upped my cals (beforse I started this program). The scale has gone up about 3 1/2 lbs since April 20th. It sucks.

I upped mine to 1700 about 2.5 weeks ago. On workout days, I add back about 200 calories because I don't trust that I'm burning the exact amount. I've gained about a lb AND I feel bloated or flabby or ...something other than skinny. BUT, I'm going to stick with it. It could be my mind playing games since I'm not walking around starving everyday.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I thought I had this all figured out, now I am not so sure

Workout A:

Squats
    Push ups
    Rows
    Step ups
    Jackknife

Workout B

Dead lifts
    Shoulder Press
    Wide grip pulldown
    Dumbbell lunges
    Exercise Ball Crunches

Is that correct?

Start at 15 reps for 2 times, then decrease by two after every two times. So by the time I hit my final weeks I am doing 8 reps at higher a weight. The opposite for ABS where I increase the reps.

Do I have this right?
  • zukkiz
    Options
    Bump
  • biogirl2011
    biogirl2011 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about measurements and photos. I'm defintiely going to do that before I start. I'm trying to read most of the book before I start. Should be ready to go in a week!!!
  • savvy85
    savvy85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started NROL4W on Monday :-) I read the book from cover to cover, and I'm EXCITED! I've learnt a lot, and I loved the comedy value in the book, hahaha. I really like that it's got some good recipes in there... I only wish it had more....

I was wondering if anyone's got any recommended nutritional books out there with some dietry plans appropriate to this lifting?
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I thought I had this all figured out, now I am not so sure

Workout A:

Squats
    Push ups
    Rows
    Step ups
    Jackknife

Workout B

Dead lifts
    Shoulder Press
    Wide grip pulldown
    Dumbbell lunges
    Exercise Ball Crunches

Is that correct?

Start at 15 reps for 2 times, then decrease by two after every two times. So by the time I hit my final weeks I am doing 8 reps at higher a weight. The opposite for ABS where I increase the reps.

Do I have this right?
    Read the post from 05/01 in this thread from cpa1898. It helped me figure it out.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cpa8198. Sorry.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Copied from another site :) It helped me. That initial confusion is universal... LOL

Stage 1

Week 1
    Mon. Workout A –
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise A
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise B1
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise B2
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise C1
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise C2
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    You are now finished with Monday's Workout A, go relax for the rest of the day!

Wed. Workout B –
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Done with Wednesday's Workout B...

Fri. Workout A –
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Done with Friday's Workout A...You have now completed your first week of workouts. The second week would then start with Workout B, as outlined below. I won't go any further at this point. You can continue the formula.

Hi, thanks for posting this. Which website is this from?

Thanks a lot!
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to walk into the gym with my printed workout spreadsheet, plus photocopies of the moves for STage 1, put them in front of the poor unsuspecting trainee instructor who was expecting to design a workout for me and say 'this is what I want you to show me'.

And it was easy. It was late evening so there were few people in the gym, they have a great new weight room downstairs (sadly the lat-pulldown machine is upstairs), and he showed me everything I needed without passing judgement.

no excuses left now!!!!!!

have taken measurements and just photos left to take and we're off!!!

How is it working for you????
  • zukkiz
    Options
    Got it, it's what I have been doing. The lettering before each exercise got me confused.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having a hard time meeting the suggested calories? I was eating at about 1300-500 gross and was pretty satisfied. I'm having a hard hitting my suggested minimum of 1700 calories net.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    With the training log, why does it only go up to workout 4 for each thing, when its my understand I do each workout 8 times? I think I am missing something