Getting Started

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Never mind I am just going to make my training log like the first one in the book but with 8 workouts instead of 4, just makes more sense.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having a hard time meeting the suggested calories? I was eating at about 1300-500 gross and was pretty satisfied. I'm having a hard hitting my suggested minimum of 1700 calories net.

When did you up them? I had a hard time the first week, now, 1700 is a struggle. Now, the 150g of protein is a different story!
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in this group. I met with a trainer this morning to go over all the equipment and proper form etc. so I can start this program. I guess it never occurred to me to check and see that my gym has a squat rack before I signed up. The only thing they have is a Smith Machine and from what I've heard it's not the greatest thing to use.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do instead? Should I just use dumbells for my squats or should I go ahead and use the smith machine?

Thank you! :)
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @jnh17 - I upped them on Monday, the first day I started. I have noticed that I have been a lot hungrier this weekend, so maybe I was concerned too soon. :smile:

@rielyn - I'm new to the program too, so I'm no expert, but from what I understand the Smith machine was made for squats so it can't be all bad. However, because of the way it works it does give you a very different kind of squat. That is the only machine my gym has as well, and since I want to get the benefits of having to balance the weight (one of the disadvantages of the Smith machine) I use dumbbells. I've seen that a lot of people are doing this. Some hold the weights to their sides, others put them on their shoulders. Someone else recommended the "Goblet squat". I have tried both the weights at my sides and the goblet method. I haven't decided which on to stick with. Hope this helps. And welcome!
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Just did my first workout and i'm pretty happy with the way it went. The amount of weights I chose to use for each exercise seemed to be about right which I was pleasently surprised with, I expected a lot of trial and error to figure out where to start. But I started with squats with 6 kg of weights ( not including bar as i'm not sure of its weight), bent over rows with the same, 60 degree pushups, and step ups with 5kg dumbbells not including the bars, will try up it all a bit next time. The jackknives didn't really feel like they were working my abs as much as the ab exercises I am used to, but i'm guessing the balancing must be good for your core.
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of questions, I'm sorry!

Isopure Zero - Wow, lots of protein! How does it taste? I'm drinking ON 100% Whey Chocolate from Costco, and it's not bad, but less than half that protein.

Is there a good resource for indentifying machines? Like pictures of different types of the same kind of exercise?

Squats - In the book, it instructs to step away from the squat rack. The rack I found at my gym is fixed, so there is no moving away. Is this not as good? Also, the bar was only 15 lbs, not 45. If I find a non-fixed rack, someone earlier in the thread said that the squat rack is to help if you go too heavy and can't go up, you can put it on the rack. Do you walk backwards to do that, or stick closer if you're unsure?

For the seated row, I couldn't find anything that looked like the picture. I found bars that could attach to something, but nothing to attach them to. There is an overhead row machine (it's above instead of between your feet, and I think the seat is higher?), so I used that, but I don't think it's the same motion. There are also row machines with the seat that moves back and forth - is that what I'm supposed to use, or a better option than the overhead one?

Push-ups hurt my wrists - is that a strength thing that will improve if I push through it, or something I should be careful about and try to prevent?

Prone jack-knife - Seemed really easy. Is a bigger ball harder than a smaller ball?

Weight - when I use dumbbells, do I log per hand weight or total weight? When I use a barbell, do I include the weight of the bar, or only the plates?

I'm enrolled in a class for a couple more months at my gym, but really want to add more lifting in now. I'm really confused about what category of exercise my current stuff falls under. On "Cardio Night" we work out on the treadmills, but the emphasis is on incline resistance intervals rather than speed or endurance and we mix in a lot of squats, lunges, and core work (plank, swiss ball stuff) without additional weight. On our "Weight Night" we use free motion weight machines to do a variety of presses and curls and I try to push the weight I use. We also do more core stuff on those nights. Then on Saturdays, more cardio, and LOTS of squats, lunges, wall sits and core exercises. Each class is an hour long.

What I'm thinking is something like this:

Sunday pm - NROL, by the book
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - NROL (maybe I could do 1 less set if I get too fatigued?) & 60 Minutes "Cardio Night"
    Wednesday - Rest or Yoga/stretching option
    Thursday - 60 Minutes "Weight Night"
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday am - 60 minutes Gym Class

Does this look like a reasonable exercise load?
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of questions, I'm sorry!

Isopure Zero - Wow, lots of protein! How does it taste? I'm drinking ON 100% Whey Chocolate from Costco, and it's not bad, but less than half that protein.

It's basically just 2 shakes (they just call it one serving). It actually tastes really good BUT it has completely NOT agreed with my stomach! And I have NEVER ever had an issue with anything I've ever consumed so this is surprising. Of course I bought the huge tub of the stuff but I'm going to try and space the serving out (1 in the morning, one at night) to see if this helps.

Squats - In the book, it instructs to step away from the squat rack. The rack I found at my gym is fixed, so there is no moving away. Is this not as good? Also, the bar was only 15 lbs, not 45. If I find a non-fixed rack, someone earlier in the thread said that the squat rack is to help if you go too heavy and can't go up, you can put it on the rack. Do you walk backwards to do that, or stick closer if you're unsure?

I didn't see where it said step away from the squat rack (the treadmill, yes)? You HAVE to use a squat rack if you're lifing -- even getting the olympic bar behind your head without one is awkward. You're talking about a Smith Machine. If all else fails, you can do a goblet squat (youtube it).

For the seated row, I couldn't find anything that looked like the picture. I found bars that could attach to something, but nothing to attach them to. There is an overhead row machine (it's above instead of between your feet, and I think the seat is higher?), so I used that, but I don't think it's the same motion. There are also row machines with the seat that moves back and forth - is that what I'm supposed to use, or a better option than the overhead one?

No to both the above. The seated row is done from piece of cable equipment. You'll fasten the handle bar to a ring attached to the weight and sit on a bench attached to the piece of equipment. If your gym doesn't have one, 1. it sucks! and 2. do a bent over row with dumbbells.

Push-ups hurt my wrists - is that a strength thing that will improve if I push through it, or something I should be careful about and try to prevent?

Are you elevated or doing real pushups?

Prone jack-knife - Seemed really easy. Is a bigger ball harder than a smaller ball?

They get harder. Just do more reps till you can't do them anymore.

Weight - when I use dumbbells, do I log per hand weight or total weight? When I use a barbell, do I include the weight of the bar, or only the plates?

It's YOUR log, so log in a way that will confuse you the least. I log per hand for dumbbells. Always include the barbell weight.

I'm enrolled in a class for a couple more months at my gym, but really want to add more lifting in now. I'm really confused about what category of exercise my current stuff falls under. On "Cardio Night" we work out on the treadmills, but the emphasis is on incline resistance intervals rather than speed or endurance and we mix in a lot of squats, lunges, and core work (plank, swiss ball stuff) without additional weight. On our "Weight Night" we use free motion weight machines to do a variety of presses and curls and I try to push the weight I use. We also do more core stuff on those nights. Then on Saturdays, more cardio, and LOTS of squats, lunges, wall sits and core exercises. Each class is an hour long.

What I'm thinking is something like this:

Sunday pm - NROL, by the book
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - NROL (maybe I could do 1 less set if I get too fatigued?) & 60 Minutes "Cardio Night"
    Wednesday - Rest or Yoga/stretching option
    Thursday - 60 Minutes "Weight Night"
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday am - 60 minutes Gym Class

Does this look like a reasonable exercise load?

I don't know about that 60 minute gym class before your NROL on Sunday. You can see how you feel, but I personally would cut it out for sure. The one on Thursday should be okay since you're basically replacing your 3rd NROL workout of the week with it.

• obsidianwings
    Options
    Was surprised with my core ache yesterday when the jackknives felt so mild compared to exercises I usually do, so very happy. Core feels better today, but my legs still ache, looking forward to doing workout B this afternoon.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have just bought NROLFW and am hoping to finish reading this weekend and start on Monday! Am so excited!

I used to do more weights before i had the kids which seems like a lifetime ago but am feeling reasonably happy about going in and tackling the exercises…but im really nervous about the calories, according to the book I should be eating around 1900 for maintenance so 1600cals a day for weight loss on my non workout days and then upping that on the days I lift? Has anyone else gained weight while doing this programme…I currently eat about 1340 on the days I don’t exercise and even on that im just maintaining my weight at the moment? Can anyone give me some reassurance that im not going to blow up like a balloon if I add in all the extra cals??
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for posting this. Which website is this from?

http://www.jpfitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Sorry... I didn't see this question until now :smile:
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have just bought NROLFW and am hoping to finish reading this weekend and start on Monday! Am so excited!

I used to do more weights before i had the kids which seems like a lifetime ago but am feeling reasonably happy about going in and tackling the exercises…but im really nervous about the calories, according to the book I should be eating around 1900 for maintenance so 1600cals a day for weight loss on my non workout days and then upping that on the days I lift? Has anyone else gained weight while doing this programme…I currently eat about 1340 on the days I don’t exercise and even on that im just maintaining my weight at the moment? Can anyone give me some reassurance that im not going to blow up like a balloon if I add in all the extra cals??

Welcome to the club :flowerforyou:

I was nervous about the calories too. I haven't gained weight... I haven't lost either... but my clothes fit better. I started almost three weeks ago and last week and earlier this week, I could not eat enough. I was constantly hungry... and I was eating everything in sight (junk and all) :noway: so I think you will "grow" into those calories. The hunger attacks have subsided finally and still no weight gain. Yay!
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much - i guess its just scary since trying to loose weight to enter a number into MFP that MFP says i need to be on to GAIN weight!

am going to be brave and take the plunge though...just looked at the book and recalculated so from today will be on 1650 for a 300cal deficit on non workout days - scarey stuff!!
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I was on 1200 calorie diet so I was nervous about putting mine up as well, but I have just completed my first week and i'm surprisingly ravenous so I assume it burns alot. I am keeping in mind that my BMI is lower than 18 though, and i had to use the calculation for a BMI of 18-24 as there wasn't one for lower, so if I start looking podgy I am going to scale back the calories a bit personally. I'm not going to weigh anymore of course, I should really take my ticker down.

I feel great after completing week one, can't wait till monday :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This thread is a great help, thanks!!
  • annra
    annra Posts: 12
    Options
    I am starting today and I am so excited about it. My first day to fallow NROL4W. Yesterday, when I did my usual gym hour I saw my PT, we had brief chat and I gave him a book and said, be ready for tomorrow, this is what I like to do and you have to walk me through of it. So we will see!

Good luck for me.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple spreadsheets that might help with logging as well as calorie requirements.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-TDRKd192c1A1Mkk

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-bUNJVGJJaXhvVFE
  • stacygb
    stacygb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the book from Amazon with overnight shipping! LOL I am really excited to start!
  • rayahmarie333
    rayahmarie333 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm new to MFP (3 weeks today). I've had the book for a couple of months but haven't started the workout. I got confused with how to do it and became overwhelmed with some of the exercises that I'd need to do. (I've read through previous posts and now have a good understanding of the workout. Thank you for the info!) I have osteoarthritus in both knees and some WEIGHTLESS exercises tend to hurt after a couple of sets. Sometimes going up and down the stairs in my house is painful. Are any of you doing this workout and have knee problems? If so, do you modify any of the exercises (or substitute any)? Any advice/suggestions would be grately appreciated.

(As you can see, I joined months ago but never used the site. Now I'm logging in every day!)
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am starting this program next week - I have downloaded the book on my ipad and will read it this weekend.

I have been a runner for the past 2 years and it helped me lose 50 pounds, but I CANNOT get the last 17 pounds off so I am hoping this program will help.

I am running my first half marathon this Sunday, so I figured I would then take Monday off as a rest day and then start the program on Tuesday.

I have been reading thru these posts and they have been very helpful.

Thank you all so much
    Future weight lifter :smile:

Claudette