DIABLO 3!!!

Options

Replies

• TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you've ever played Gauntlet, I would describe D3 as a bit like that. You pick a character and then go off to kill waves of enemies and eventually a boss. You get more and more powerful as you go. You can see videos of it on Youtube to get a better idea of get a Guest Pass of a friend.
  • TimWilkinson101
    Options
    You can't download the client Tim?

I could have, but that would have taken a while and cost me £45. I managed to get hold of the last forgotten copy (under the counter) in my local supermarket for £32 today, so I am much happier with that. Also all the problems people were having put me off rushing to get it. PLus I like reading the manuals and imagining what it will be like :)
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I did enjoy Torchlight, which was a blatant copy of DiabloII with better graphics... Hard not to see the resemblance between the two, though! D3 does it MUCH MUCH better, however...

Can't wait to actually be able to play!! Got my Monk up to level 9 last night before the servers crashed... Liking Monk so far
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    So question - is it worth me trying to free up space on my laptop? I've not really played any online games since Everquest first released, but I am looking for a good MMO to try, something not too difficult to learn would be great

Diablo isn't really an MMO, it's an action RPG. If you're looking for something more like World of Warcraft, you should check out some of the Free-To-Play MMOs that are out there.

There are a bunch on Steam, I would check there first probably. http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Massively Multiplayer/

Guild Wars 2 is also coming out here in probably June or July, it's an MMO, but won't have any monthly fees once you buy the game. There's a pretty good bit of hype over it.

so more like a D&D type game - I play Torchlight on Xbox and well, let's just say I retired a couple of characters - so in those lines?

Yep, exactly. Torchlight is actually made by some of the guys who worked on Diablo 1/2 at Blizzard, then broke off into their own company. Their names even show up in the credits for Diablo 3, lol.

Torchlight and Diablo are pretty much the bookends of the action RPG genre.
  • Genem30
    Options
    I did enjoy Torchlight, which was a blatant copy of DiabloII with better graphics... Hard not to see the resemblance between the two, though! D3 does it MUCH MUCH better, however...

Can't wait to actually be able to play!! Got my Monk up to level 9 last night before the servers crashed... Liking Monk so far

I got my Torchlight 2 beta key last night, looking forward to checking it out.

I leveled a Barbarian up to 12 and a Monk up to 4. The level of polish on Diablo 3 is crazy, it'll be nice once they have the back end server stuff up to the same level.
  • jstur14
    jstur14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Enjoying the little bit I got to play yesterday (Wizard), hoping to play a lot more today :)

Feel free to add me to play if you want

xT1m3x#1286

Normally will probably just be chugging away by myself but dont mind a companion
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    So question - is it worth me trying to free up space on my laptop? I've not really played any online games since Everquest first released, but I am looking for a good MMO to try, something not too difficult to learn would be great

Diablo is not an MMO. It is an action RPG type game that reminds you a lot of a _much_ more advanced version of the old Zelda type games. The game is played online, however it is entirely campaign based. You don't encounter other players in your travels like you would in an MMO. However, people on your friends list can join you in your game at any point. It's pretty cool being in the middle of a dungeon in what you thought was a one player campaign when your friend appears out of nowhere and jumps in to fight alongside you.

The game is _extremely_ simple to play. The replay value comes entirely from the fact that the map layouts are totally randomized for each individual player. If I were to help you through the first part of your quest, the map would have a totally different layout than it did for me, so there's always exploring done each time around. There's no real map to memorize the layout of since it's created from scratch by an AI for each individual.
  • Ryan_Bullock
    Options
    I finally get to play at lunchtime, provided the servers are up! So excited. Only 52 minutes to go.

Oooh! 51 mins to go!
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I beat the story on Normal difficulty last night. I really enjoyed my first play through! I'm playing a barb which I'm enjoying thoroughly. Gonna take a stab at Nightmare tonight after work (provided the servers are up - *fingers crossed*).
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Playing the game through as demon hunter right now. Reached level 10. The game seems stupidly easy to the point of having no challenge whatsoever. I cleared out the first dungeon doing nothing but spamming my basic attacks. I'm depending on the social experience if playing with my friends to keep it fun.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to add me to their friends list send me a PM here
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Character name - Chicagozon
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Just installed and up to lvl 3 ... interesting so far. Definitely looking forward to more socialization.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm up to level 11 with my monk. I haven't had any disconnect or error 37 issues. Maybe I'm just lucky. I am being patient and only have water with me. I don't have any kind of snacks or food at my keyboard.
  • TimWilkinson101
    Options
    Played this last night.

I was a little dismayed that you couldnt even instal the game without being connected to the internet. I then hit a few 3007 errors which seemed to be down to trying my battlenet ID as my login (it should be your full email address and not the ID). I was then in a queue for a minute or so..nothing major, but a little irritating that it took me about an hour to log in from getting home.

Playing the game I was surprised you couldnt customise the look of the 5 chars you can play, probably spent too much time in MMO's. I got into it anyway and was led through the starting area by a series of mini guides. However, these mini guides miss out some fairly important things like Z to zoom and Shift to stand still while firing. Its worth spending time in the options menus to learn what everything does and put on Tool tips and elective mode.

The game was amazingly similar to Diablo 2 I felt... and that led me to being very underwhelmed. I was expecting more from the hype and 12 years . What I had a real problem with was that I was happily getting into the game when everything stopped working. I could run around but not fire or pick up anything. THis lasted almost 2 minutes and I nearly gave up before the game lurched back into life and I had to fend off a load of mobs that had appeared in the interim. For a SINGLE player game this was very poor. This happened again (much shorter) later on a couple more times. I never died, but its certainly frustrating and immersion breaking.

Game over all is pretty good. Just as you are getting used to it and settling down, it throws a new skill or mob or treasure at you. The random nature of the mobs and drops make it always a bit nerve wracking as you meet a new wave and then see an "elite" amongst them. THe elite means a chance of better loot, but also of a better death.... no that I've got anywhere near dying so far. Must be my "magic pants" I'm now wearing.

One thing that I thought was surprisingly lacking was a clear narrative. Maybe that id just me, but I felt not a lot of thought had gone into the plot and it was not much better than the sort of thing you see in an mmo. I.e. Go to X to find out about Y. X says before I can help you with Y you must do Z for me which hasnt anything much to do with the main plot, but will kill some time. It just doesnt feel very "epic" at the moment. I assume it will build though. I didnt like entering the basement of two buildings (the only two I entered so far) and finding they had exactly the same layout. I thought that was lazy and could have been done differently to make me think it was a bit less random. As it is one identical room in each sucked a bit. I'm also concerned that some people have already finished it and all there appears to be after that is play it again at a higher level. Hopefully the replay value is there. THis weekend will tell I guess and if nothing else, it will keep me out the pub.

I fancy trying other chars (currently on Witch doctor who got better when I discovered the zombie dogs), and may find one I love to bits. Remapping keys might also help. Sound is really good. The drip rate of new "stuff" is currently exactly right and its nice seeing my mates and their achievements and whispering to them.. though it would be nice to be able to use voice chat with them or filter chat. Maybe you can or will in the end.

Oh and keep hold of blue and yellow items it appears you can turn them into useful items later on (store them in your vault outside the pub - which is account wide btw).

Early days, but it was enjoyable (lag aside) and I will play it again and I did enjoy it. It did make me feel a little like a kid again... well a 20 year old. I think I better spend some time with my lass tonight though or I may find I dont have a lass when I emerge from Diablo.

AngeleDei#2505 apparently :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This game is awesome.

The only part I'm a bit confused/concerned with is the grouping aspect. Seems like if I join a friend who isn't as far along, my progress is permanently back-peddled. Does anyone know exactly how this works and if it still happens when you complete a full act?

(Ex: I complete act 1 and go into act 2, I go back to act 1 to help a friend in his private game. Am I then permanently in act 1 when I leave that game?).
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Having issues with the social aspect. It seems like I'm the only person I know who has a job or doesn't have gobs of free time, so everyone I play with gains 10+ levels a day. I come home from work at night and the people I grouped with last night are now into the next act, 10+ levels higher than they were last night. Am I the only person playing Diablo 3 who has a full time job and only plays for a couple hours a day? It ruins the social aspect of the game for me when you don't have a consistent group of people you can play with.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Having issues with the social aspect. It seems like I'm the only person I know who has a job or doesn't have gobs of free time, so everyone I play with gains 10+ levels a day. I come home from work at night and the people I grouped with last night are now into the next act, 10+ levels higher than they were last night. Am I the only person playing Diablo 3 who has a full time job and only plays for a couple hours a day? It ruins the social aspect of the game for me when you don't have a consistent group of people you can play with.

I too work full time and only dedicate 1-2 hours. not everyday either. I haven't even bothered grouping with others yet. Just me and the NPC fellows.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    So I am cleaning up some hard drive space on my laptop, but - and please don't hurt me, I'm not a computer person - can I run it straight from an external hard drive?
  • Genem30
    Options
    Spent about 2 hours playing Diablo 3 last night and another couple of hours playing through the Torchlight 2 beta. Torchlight 2 seems really promising, I might give the edge to Diablo 3 because of the backstory and lore, because I have no idea what any of that is in the Torchlight universe, but the gameplay, enemies, leveling, etc. in Torchlight 2 is all excellent and super polished as well. Plus, Relic is holding onto the attribute point allocation stuff, which I like. Diablo 3 almost seems too simplified at this point.

At the end of the day, both games come across as awesome additions to the action RPG genre, I'm definitely looking forward to Torchlight 2 coming out so I can play through the full game.