Hufflepuff Common Room

Replies

• carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Thanks to Suzie and BeeJ for posting challenges already! Remember we have another week of our current challenges before they will start. I will repost them closer to when we will start the challenges!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Thanks to a marathon of step yesterday (mostly to make up for a very cal-costly lunch out to celebrate a co-worker getting a new position AND a wedding reception today) ........ I am now 80% Up Everest.

Near as I can figure, I only need about 5 more 30 min sessions to reach the summit.

This is the first day in two full weeks when my breakfast hasn't met the "15-20% range". It was under so that I could "bank more" towards the reception-dinner tonight.

Carolinagirl7 - great to hear that the courses are behind you, and hope the weather there is as nice as it is here!
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    yo yo yo, sorry I'm not good at keeping up with the forum.
    Glad to see Amber back and that most people seem to be getting on well.
    I might just be one of the dullest people around because I can't think of anything much to share :indifferent:
    I would like to do a zombie run - it sounds fun and messy.

The other night I had to deal with a spider (it was by my bed) and I did what I thought was kill it, poked it to see if it was dead and then put it in the bin. In the morning I thought I'd get it out of the bin and feed it to the venus flytrap...but the spider was gone! Either I didn't kill it or there's a zombie spider in my house!
  • carolinagirl7
    Perfect weather for a race today. The pool was only 73 degrees, and my muscles all contracted including my lungs, had to go back to single breath for all of my swim. My bike ride was hilly, and lots of sharp turns. I am kind of glad I didn't ride the course before the race, because I would have been highly discouraged come race day...Every time I would gain some momentum, I would have to turn...I slipped my chain mile 6, thanks to the volunteer who held my bike and derailleur so I could get it back on...then mile 7...the evil twin hill of Sprunt Street. I had to walk my bike up the hill...but I made it through. The 2 mile walk was a breeze compared to bike ride. This how I spent 1:42:34 of my day (do you believe the top finisher finished in 50:34!!!) . Initially upset with how the race went, I realized I experienced a lot of "firsts" with this race, and the fact I finished, makes me a much stronger person and athlete. Rambling Rose Raleigh 2013 here I come... I hope everyone else had a great weekend!
  • BMcC9
    I am on Day 55 now :flowerforyou: to me!! :bigsmile: Surprisingly, 5 of my Friends are all having anniversaries of varying lengths today too :huh:

Today has mostly been spent chillaxin', finishing reading one book and starting another. Mostly outside either on the deck or under the tree in the front yard. The exercising will happen after supper.

The wedding I was as yesterday was amazing (inside a Ukrainian Catholic Shrine - so both the architecture/environment and the traditions were different from anything I had seen before. And the bride is vegan, so the reception meal wasn't exactly what I expected either. But there was lots of good music to dance to (a surprisingly large proportion of the new stuff was the play list from my boot camp class) and enough of it to work up a sweat - so I figure I came close to breaking even, even if there were more cals going in my mouth than there normally would. (no real dinner per se, but a "candy bar" and the chocolate wedding cake with fondant coating)
  • Molly_Louise
    Molly_Louise Posts: 503
    Welcome back Amber! It's great to "see" you again. How have you been?

Queeda, I noticed you'd been logging on the spreadsheet. I hope the 3 of you are well and are enjoying your new life in UAE. I look forward to hearing all about your adventures whenever you're back online.

Karen, it sounds like a hard race! Well done for finishing and in such a great time too. The bike part of it sounds especially hard, but you made it! You must be so pleased with yourself despite your initial upset and you deserve to be pleased since you did so well -- go you!

Sorry I've been quiet this week, it's been yet another stressful one but the end is finally in sight -- Friday!! As of 2.30pm on Friday I won't be at sixth form anymore which I am excited about, but it'll be a sad day too as it is the end of an era. Two girls from my class of 11 are going traveling, one to Australia and one to New Zealand. Neither of them have intentions of returning to the UK any time soon and especially not to our town and since I move away in just a few months, it's unlikely I'll ever see them again. I don't have sixth form on Monday, which is technically today since it's gone midnight now, nor on Wednesday so just three days to go until it's all over.

Thursday is my 19th birthday! My class and I are going out for a meal to celebrate our leaving as well as my birthday and that night I am going out for dinner with my mum and step dad, so I am expecting a big gain this week! I finally had the chance to weigh in today, I am up 1.5lbs but it isn't anywhere as bad as I had thought it would be which was nice! I am really hoping my step dad will have my bike fixed for the weekend, I can't wait to get out cycling and shift this excess weight.

It's almost 12.30am here so I really need to head off to bed. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
  • BMcC9
    YYAAAYYY ME!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I posted a 1.3 pound loss this week! :huh: :huh: Yup. more than a pound despite the back to back special event meals :noway:

There may be something to this "Last Ditch Workout" strategy after all. I wonder what would happen, if I applied it to a "normal intake all week" week?

Good thing I am not fanatical by nature (cats aren't) more of a "moderation in all things, including moderation" gal. And given two special event meals back to back - lack of moderation in exercise was called for and justified. But not as a general rule!
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    I've been a bit lousy for posting this week, sorry everyone.

Congrats BeeJ on the loss! That's amazing! Perhaps though too the extra meals helped reset your metabolism a bit too? Sometimes when people stall/plateau I see people recommending eating more/or eating normally for a week or two and that's supposed to help, with the intention that it resets metabolism/throws it off. Whatever the reason, that's great!

Molly, I hope you have a terrific birthday and that your bike gets fixed.

Just wondering, what are the OWLs and NEWTs for this week though. On the spreadsheet it has them but on this thread I see mentions of a jump rope thing and sugars?
  • Molly_Louise
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, Moe.

Regarding the OWL and NEWT challenges -- the challenges posted on the spreadsheet are the correct ones for the week. The challenges kindly posted in the common room by Suzie and BeeJ are going to start on June 3rd. Just a reminder that after this week, we have a week off of inter-house competition. The dates for the week off are Sunday May 27th through to Sunday June 3rd. In this week I will post the new spreadsheet along with the challenges (which we already know, see above) and starting weights for the month will be accepted between Friday 1st June and Monday June 4th.

I weighed in this morning because I forgot I had weighed in yesterday -- silly me! :laugh: Though I have lost 1lb since yesterday, remarkably, which I have logged in the spreadsheet because today is the final day for weighing in and I feel as if it should count. Looking at our averages for both house points and weight loss, we're doing great so far so well done to everyone. Last weeks results have not been posted yet, sadly, but in case you did not know Bronwen our current Headmistress stepped down from her position and handed it over to Kelly, a member of Ravenclaw. I imagine the delay in results is down to the transition between Bron leaving and Kelly taking over.

Did you all have a nice weekend? Next weekend here in the UK is the Jubilee -- the celebration of our Queen reigning for 60 years. There will be a lot of celebrations across the country and within my town, so I am sure it'll be something great to be a part of. With the Olympics and the Jubilee, England/UK really do have a lot to celebrate soon!
  • BMcC9

Congrats BeeJ on the loss! That's amazing! Perhaps though too the extra meals helped reset your metabolism a bit too? Sometimes when people stall/plateau I see people recommending eating more/or eating normally for a week or two and that's supposed to help, with the intention that it resets metabolism/throws it off. Whatever the reason, that's great!

I think that part of Hufflepuff not getting to see much change in my numbers in past weeks had to do with the special events being on a Saturday, and not enough time before Sunday weigh-in to make up for it -- MFP guestimates my BMR at just under 1350, and recommends 1200 net cals per day to eat. I do my best to end up with 350-390 of the original 1200 left by supper, and try to end up and just enough on the Right Side (above 1200) to avoid the "you may be triggering starvation mode" message. If I have to eat a bigger yoghut / cereal / fruit evening snack to get there - so be it - but that is usually only when I have somehow missed my am and pm snacks.

Since I have been averaging 3.5 or so pounds per month since starting Boot Camp in Jan. I am probably doing ok. I will know for sure on Thurs when the monthly Weights and Measures / Fit Test happens.

The Boot Camp Instructor has also mentioned the concept of 1 Cheat Meal (note: MEAL ..... not DAY) per week to throw your metabolism a curve on occasion. It has to work harder to deal with the unexpected. You just aren't supposed to make it more than the single meal, one time in the whole week. AND only if your general eating is stable enough / healthy enough that you aren't going to trigger a binge. If that were a danger, better to stick with the all-round healthy eating.
  • skinnysuzie
    skinnysuzie Posts: 169 Member
    Well, I am really far behind...haven't even put stats on spreadsheet for last week yet, hope to get caught up tonight. Had an incredibly busy weekend, didn't even completely journal for two days I think,,,blahhhh!!!! So will change that today....we all have days and weeks like that but persistance is key so tonight....it's a date....Toe is finally feeling better, went to Zumba last night and no pain, 8 ) have a great day everyone.
  • BMcC9
    Breakfast on track - good size for lunch and pm snack - DRAT! with no am snack (or snack content) I am going to be making a post-dinner snack to bring my total cal level to minium of where they need to be!

Either that, or another cup of coffee, which I don't particularly want to do ..... HOLD THE PHONE!! I can do a scoop of VegeGreen in water! That adds cals, and all of a very healthy type!

Crisis averted!
  • BMcC9
    Who knew??? Aparantly, after a heavy-duty work out (boot camp class or equivalent) I am supposed to feed my muscles with something like 200 cals worth of fruit and yoghurt smoothy or something like that.

Maybe I do have to do some "eat more to weigh less" on heavy-duty exercise nights :huh: ... maybe that is part of what has been holding me back. Lets see what the results are at the end of the week.
  • skinnysuzie
    Perfect weather for a race today. The pool was only 73 degrees, and my muscles all contracted including my lungs, had to go back to single breath for all of my swim. My bike ride was hilly, and lots of sharp turns. I am kind of glad I didn't ride the course before the race, because I would have been highly discouraged come race day...Every time I would gain some momentum, I would have to turn...I slipped my chain mile 6, thanks to the volunteer who held my bike and derailleur so I could get it back on...then mile 7...the evil twin hill of Sprunt Street. I had to walk my bike up the hill...but I made it through. The 2 mile walk was a breeze compared to bike ride. This how I spent 1:42:34 of my day (do you believe the top finisher finished in 50:34!!!) . Initially upset with how the race went, I realized I experienced a lot of "firsts" with this race, and the fact I finished, makes me a much stronger person and athlete. Rambling Rose Raleigh 2013 here I come... I hope everyone else had a great weekend!

Proud of you girl!! GREAT JOB!!!! Would love to do a triathalon someday.
  • skinnysuzie
    Ok, I am really late putting in last weeks stats, I went to the spreadsheet and it looks like they are already there. Did the dates change when the spread sheet was redone? I have stats starting the 5/13 week to enter, but there are stats in the tabs already. I know I have entered two weeks worth of data, so is the date at the beginning of the week, really the date the week ends? Sorry I am confused. Can someone please help me?
  • keyboardwench
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, Moe.

Regarding the OWL and NEWT challenges -- the challenges posted on the spreadsheet are the correct ones for the week. The challenges kindly posted in the common room by Suzie and BeeJ are going to start on June 3rd. Just a reminder that after this week, we have a week off of inter-house competition. The dates for the week off are Sunday May 27th through to Sunday June 3rd. In this week I will post the new spreadsheet along with the challenges (which we already know, see above) and starting weights for the month will be accepted between Friday 1st June and Monday June 4th.

Oh okay, gotcha! Still quite the newbie, wasn't sure how it was working but that totally makes sense. Thanks :3
    I think that part of Hufflepuff not getting to see much change in my numbers in past weeks had to do with the special events being on a Saturday, and not enough time before Sunday weigh-in to make up for it -- MFP guestimates my BMR at just under 1350, and recommends 1200 net cals per day to eat. I do my best to end up with 350-390 of the original 1200 left by supper, and try to end up and just enough on the Right Side (above 1200) to avoid the "you may be triggering starvation mode" message. If I have to eat a bigger yoghut / cereal / fruit evening snack to get there - so be it - but that is usually only when I have somehow missed my am and pm snacks.

Since I have been averaging 3.5 or so pounds per month since starting Boot Camp in Jan. I am probably doing ok. I will know for sure on Thurs when the monthly Weights and Measures / Fit Test happens.

The Boot Camp Instructor has also mentioned the concept of 1 Cheat Meal (note: MEAL ..... not DAY) per week to throw your metabolism a curve on occasion. It has to work harder to deal with the unexpected. You just aren't supposed to make it more than the single meal, one time in the whole week. AND only if your general eating is stable enough / healthy enough that you aren't going to trigger a binge. If that were a danger, better to stick with the all-round healthy eating.

That's a great average, ahh that's awesome! That's not just probably okay, that's great. Honestly I've had months where it didn't move at all (mainly because I gained all my old habits back) so that steady rate is great.

Reasonable, totally agree with the one cheat meal a day vs the day. One meal is not as crazy as a day, too much bad stuff could be consumed in a day. I know I couldn't personally handle a true cheat meal even because I do have that history of binges and meh, my eating isn't perfect anyways and I don't object to the odd random treat.

However just in case... I was sort of talking about the different level of calories (more then normal) for long plateaus - where people have been doing the same thing for months and not seeing results in the last month and that's seen as an attempt to restore things. Bah I'm not even sure how to explain it. XD
    Who knew??? Aparantly, after a heavy-duty work out (boot camp class or equivalent) I am supposed to feed my muscles with something like 200 cals worth of fruit and yoghurt smoothy or something like that.

Maybe I do have to do some "eat more to weigh less" on heavy-duty exercise nights :huh: ... maybe that is part of what has been holding me back. Lets see what the results are at the end of the week.

Haha, yep, that's totally a good idea! Something needs to maintain those muscles, strengthen them, and repair any damage. Food truly is fuel! Protein is definitely a good thing to have after a work out, I typically go for a Greek yogurt smoothie with a half cup of chocolate milk and all the fruits XD I'd have one right now if half the house wasn't asleep.

Here's some other ideas/information about that if it helps! Everyone should be aware of this kind of thing because we need to take proper care of our bodies. [/lame psa lol]
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/541910-do-i-need-to-eat-a-post-workout-meal/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/103484-post-workout-foods/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/213669-the-best-pre-post-workout-foods/
  • carolinagirl7
    Ok, I am really late putting in last weeks stats, I went to the spreadsheet and it looks like they are already there. Did the dates change when the spread sheet was redone? I have stats starting the 5/13 week to enter, but there are stats in the tabs already. I know I have entered two weeks worth of data, so is the date at the beginning of the week, really the date the week ends? Sorry I am confused. Can someone please help me?

I think you are on the right track. If you have entered 2 weeks of data, 5/7 and 5/14 weeks should be complete already. The date in the spreadsheet is the weigh in date which falls at the end of the week. So a weight from around 5/21 would be entered at the end of a week, while the owls and newts are filled in during the week. It looks as if you have your weight entered correctly (congrats on the loss this week by the way!). If you look over to the week of 5/28, yo will see Molly and I started to fill it out for the week, and when we weigh in this weekend, we fill fill in the date for 5/28.

Hope this makes sense...Fellow Hufflepuffs, feel free to jump in with further advice and clarification...these spreadsheets are not not my strong point!
  • carolinagirl7
    Another Wed is upon us. Where does the time go? Thunderstorm woke me up, enjoying listening to it rain now.

BeeJ Totally agree with the refueling after workouts...I usually eat breakfast after working out, and really try to add a greek yogurt to whatever I eat in the mornings to add protein. Also, feeding your body before workouts is important with carbs and some protein. Moe posted some good articles. I get sick to my stomach if I eat too much BEFORE working out, so almond butter works for me. I do notice a difference in my workouts on days I forget my almond butter before working out.
    I like the concept of cheat meals vs days, it may be a next step for me.

Moe thanks for posting articles, some great information. I have finally begin to accept that "my excess" exercise calories really should be spent on fueling workouts, instead of just eating junk because you exercised...ahhhh but that is no fun is it!! There is a sports nutrition lecture I am going to try to make next week at my gym.

Suzie Glad to hear the toe is better and you can resume zumba. I like the diversity of triathlons. I can't believe I am doing them now (and enjoy them no less). I got hooked by completing an indoor version of a triathlon that many gyms (at least in this area) will hold, a good place to start.

Molly Happy birthday this week and Good luck with graduation this week, it sounds as if you have a lot of fun stuff planned this week and weekend. It is always sad to have friends move away. Technology today is amazing to keep in touch (though I agree not the same is visiting in person). Last year I totally reconnected with a group from college I hadn't seen or heard from in almost 20 years. It was amazing, it was like we were never apart, and now we are keeping up regularly on facebook
  • skinnysuzie
    Thanks Carolina, I think I was doing the stats in the wrong week, so will catch up tonight.

I just want to say WOW, what a great NEWT challenge, I had no idea about my sugar intake. I tried to stay away from 'junk' sugar, but really didn't care if it was in the form of healthy foods, and I have found I am over or very close to being over my daily alottment of sugars just with my breakfast, usually 2 Activia lights with some fruit. Will have to try adjusting this over the next couple of weeks. Have a great day all.
  • BMcC9

Haha, yep, that's totally a good idea! Something needs to maintain those muscles, strengthen them, and repair any damage. Food truly is fuel! Protein is definitely a good thing to have after a work out, I typically go for a Greek yogurt smoothie with a half cup of chocolate milk and all the fruits XD I'd have one right now if half the house wasn't asleep.

Here's some other ideas/information about that if it helps! Everyone should be aware of this kind of thing because we need to take proper care of our bodies. [/lame psa lol]
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/541910-do-i-need-to-eat-a-post-workout-meal/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/103484-post-workout-foods/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/213669-the-best-pre-post-workout-foods/

I will be doing some reading at lunchtime!
  • BMcC9
    I read the articles, and picked up some Absolute Isolate Protein (unflavoured - thought about the Chocolate Flavour .... but turned to the 0 sugar version instead :bigsmile: ) that I mixed with 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk plus a touch of vanila extract and cinnamon for flavour. With a slice of whole wheat toast on the side.

One question to anyone with any idea ... if one is to have "protein plus carb after workout" ... do they mean "sugar-from-fruit" carb or "whole-grain-toast" carb? Should i keep with the toast, or add berries to the drink?
  • BMcC9
    Just back from the Boot Camp 4 wk Weigh&Measures .....

Ta DAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! I am down 5 pounds over 4 weeks :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: / 8.6 pounds over 8 weeks :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: / a whopping 15.4 pounds since the beginning of January :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Looking back at the difference between January inches and current inches in 8 different points and the total inches. also fantastic no mater which way you slice it. And it's not quite the end of the month yet!

Fyi, one more 30 minute session (tomorrow) will put me At The Top Of Mount Everest ... then I will be switching out much (but not all) of the step bench for interval wind sprints, which my boot camp leader says is THE most fat-burning return on your cardio investment. Even better than spending longer at a steady pace.
  • carolinagirl7
    Great job BeeJ Your success is inspiring! I think the preferred carb is bread/grains, but I have seen several suggestions for smoothies as a post workout snack that ate based with fruit/yogurt/milk and protein powder. The important thing is to eat something healthy after a workout!

Finally going to see Wicked tomorrow. I have been looking forward to it for months. The remainder of the weekend will be spent being lazy, pool time, no real set plans for the Memorial day weekend. Anyone else have plans for the long weekend??
  • BMcC9
    Finally going to see Wicked tomorrow. I have been looking forward to it for months.

I've read the book, and I hear the show is AMAZING!!!! Looking forward to details!

We in Canada had our Long Weekend last week. Attended a wedding and did some planing of "purr-enials" :wink:

And by the way, today is my 60th day on MFP - and I haven't misses a login yet! (no where near your record, but then I haven't been at it as long :laugh: )
  • skinnysuzie
    Happy Memorial Day Weekend to my fellow American Huffies, for those living across the pond, this is a holiday weekend for us WhooHooo, we have a three day weekend (some of us --me--get an extra day off work on Monday ) and this is the official start of our summer here. And Mother Nature has cooperated nicely, as it is going to be a beautiful weekend.

Somehow I got confused with the challenges, I had thought they changed and when I went on the spreadsheet I saw that some of them were the same 8 / ....well hopefully with Carolina's help I have it clear now. I am going to chalk it up to being absent for a while Heeheee.

My daughter is doing better, nausea is letting up a bit and she is able to eat again, she had lost 18 lbs and she was tiny to start with. She was hospitalized for 4 days for IV nutrition plus IV meds for nausea, went home with an iv pump to get medication continuously at home, but hopefully the worst is behind her...and she does have a cute little babies bump 8 ) ( stomach is still smaller than mine, but I am working on that)..... any how, hope you don't mind this update....I find myself wanting to show complete stranger the ultrasound picture of the babies. Have a great weekend everyone. see you tomorrow.
  • Molly_Louise
    Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in days, what a week I've had! I had a great birthday, so thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. I got a lot of great things and I was able to spend the day with some close friends and family, plus we had amazing weather too which made things even better. Though, the fact that my best friends (one of which traveled 85 miles specifically to surprise me) turned up at my house with a cake and presents really made my day. I cried! Haha. I wasn't expecting to see either of them as we'd arranged to do something in the week so I was overwhelmed. I've eaten so much cake plus I went out for dinner twice so I am not looking forward to what will inevitably be a gain tomorrow. But I have now finished sixth form forever so I am really really happy about that!! :D

I had work today and it was awful. The country is currently experiencing a heatwave, or what should probably be regular weather for this time of year but given it always rains here, a heatwave and so conveniently our air conditioning broke meaning it was 30 degrees Celsius in my department and it was awful! Of course, no customers were in the shop either due to the weather (and the fact they have sense. Who'd want to go shopping when you can enjoy the sun?!) so it was a boring day but it could have been worse!

Tomorrow is the start of an 'off week'. Karen and I have not arranged challenges for this week so for now I am going to say that we will continue with the previous challenges for the next 7 days. Of course, you are welcome to create your own challenges and share them if you'd like, but we are not competing as a house or with the other houses so you don't have to and can give yourself a complete week off if you'd like! :)

How are you all doing? :)
  • BMcC9
    I've been switching out my winter / summer wardrobes and seeing what fits now / is too big (donate) or still too small (repack)
  • skinnysuzie
    So no challenges for this week, well I will continue with my own personal challenges then, to snack healthy, and to exercise at least 4 times per week. I would like it to be everyday, and am working towards that, but am happy when I get more days in than not.
    I did have a weight loss this week, was really pleased with that as I had 2 parties last weekend. I also have two parties next weekend (a wedding and retirement party) and a holiday weekend in between. Oh, I love summer because of all the fresh fruits and veggies, makes it easier to eat healthy, but on the other hand..parties..parties...get togethers...makes it more challenging. I plan on weighing less at the end of the summer though.....so will not let myself indulge mindlessly 8 )

Molly --happy belated birthday, that was sooo nice of your friends to surprise you.

Have a great day everyone.
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Hello! I am alive in the UAE. My elliptical was delivered today! I was SO happy about having it at my fingertips. I did 9 miles. Not as much endurance as I had built up 3 months ago before I left the USA, but still awesome. I am still losing weight, but I honestly thinks its because it's so hot here that I am just sweating it all off! I will be back to the good ole US of A in July for vacation. Can't wait to see my family. We are headed to Mexico! I haven't caught up with any other post, but I wanted to say hello. It's way past my bed time in the UAE. I need to enter grades and get ready for bed.
    Lots of Hufflepuff Love,
    Queeda
  • keyboardwench
    Sorry for the lack activity on here. This week has been busy as I've started a new job and I still have summer school on top of that. Just added all my NEWTs, OWLs, and exercise minutes to the spreadsheet though, that's all caught up.

Hope everyone's doing well and that any Yanks on here are enjoying their Memorial Day Weekend.

Too tired to write more XD
This discussion has been closed.