Don't make this blunder....

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for this. It's been over TWELVE WEEKS for me with NOOOO movement AT ALL. Ugggggh. I was getting ready to write a really b*tchy post, but glad I stumbled on yours first. I'm up 5-6 pounds from when I started this in March. I went from 1400/1500 calories to 1800/1900, and have had NO CHANGE in measurements. At least my clothes still fit, but this stagnancy is freakin' killing me. I'm doing everything I should be, but NO GO. I even got an Omron body fat analyzer, and have the same darn body fat % since I was last measured in Nov. 11. Guess I just should have done straight TDEE calories from the get go, huh? Well, this weekend sure helped me on a diet break, that's for sure. LOL.

Is there a post on this group for those of us that this program doesn't seem to be working well? I mean, theoretically the 15% cut should be working, and clearly it's not. Is it really as simple as eating at TDEE? How long do you eat at TDEE before cutting again?

I hear you...it is such a frustrating process but I totally believe in it...it just seems like so much common sense to me now that I understand it.

I really do think it just may be a simple as being brave enough to go to full tdee and fully reset your metabolism. If you check out the videos Kiki (I believe it's her video) talks about doing her reset for over three months and then starting her cut. (or maybe she mentioned it in a post...I've done so much reading etc I can't remember where anything is! lol)

Anyways, hers and Lucia's example are certainly the ones we should be going by and yet I'm starting to realize that many of us tried to take a short cut (most of us completely unknowingly) by eating at tdee -15% and now wonder why it's not working...:huh:

I'd honestly say that before anyone even considers throwing in the towel to make sure they fully reset their metabolism (eat at tdee for 8 weeks at least (more if you wish)) before cutting to tdee -15%. Make sure your numbers are accurate, be honest to yourself about everything...don't underestimate your activity or overestimate your food....measure everything, get a hrm (or body media fit or the like). This process just makes SENSE. We just have to get it right! And being that its such a new group, new concept we are all kinda learning as we go...
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for this. It's been over TWELVE WEEKS for me with NOOOO movement AT ALL. Ugggggh. I was getting ready to write a really b*tchy post, but glad I stumbled on yours first. I'm up 5-6 pounds from when I started this in March. I went from 1400/1500 calories to 1800/1900, and have had NO CHANGE in measurements. At least my clothes still fit, but this stagnancy is freakin' killing me. I'm doing everything I should be, but NO GO. I even got an Omron body fat analyzer, and have the same darn body fat % since I was last measured in Nov. 11. Guess I just should have done straight TDEE calories from the get go, huh? Well, this weekend sure helped me on a diet break, that's for sure. LOL.

Is there a post on this group for those of us that this program doesn't seem to be working well? I mean, theoretically the 15% cut should be working, and clearly it's not. Is it really as simple as eating at TDEE? How long do you eat at TDEE before cutting again?

I hear you...it is such a frustrating process but I totally believe in it...it just seems like so much common sense to me now that I understand it.

I really do think it just may be a simple as being brave enough to go to full tdee and fully reset your metabolism. If you check out the videos Kiki (I believe it's her video) talks about doing her reset for over three months and then starting her cut. (or maybe she mentioned it in a post...I've done so much reading etc I can't remember where anything is! lol)

Anyways, hers and Lucia's example are certainly the ones we should be going by and yet I'm starting to realize that many of us tried to take a short cut (most of us completely unknowingly) by eating at tdee -15% and now wonder why it's not working...:huh:

I'd honestly say that before anyone even considers throwing in the towel to make sure they fully reset their metabolism (eat at tdee for 8 weeks at least (more if you wish)) before cutting to tdee -15%. Make sure your numbers are accurate, be honest to yourself about everything...don't underestimate your activity or overestimate your food....measure everything, get a hrm (or body media fit or the like). This process just makes SENSE. We just have to get it right! And being that its such a new group, new concept we are all kinda learning as we go...

I have been doing everything, per protocol of this group: Eating 40/30/30, netting BMR, using Scooby for my numbers. I'm running 3x week training for a half-marathon. I've only been lifting 1-2 times a week, so I know it's not water retention for that, because I'm not lifting enough right now. When running season winds down, I'll up the lifting, and get serious about it at least 3x week. In the beginning of 2012, I had stalled at eating 1400/1500 for over three months. I thought upping to 1800/1900 would do the trick, but instead I've gained 5 pounds and have continued being stalled. Everybody says to throw out the scale, but the simple fact is that my measurements haven't changed either. Having a hard time believing my metabolism is so screwed up. I'm frightened to jump up to TDEE, because my head/heart can't take gaining another 5 pounds because of it.
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have done it, I have set my goal to my TDEE and am going to give it a try. When I first started upping my cals about a month ago it was so scary or go up to 1800. Somehow I missed the part about resetting metabolism and eating at TDEE, I just saw 'eat at 'TDEE-15%' so I did that. Even if I had seen the parts about resetting metabolism and eating at TDEE (for me 2106) I don't know if I would have had the courage to jump that high anyways lol.so here I go, I'm jumping lol....sccared but determined to get rid of that last 10 lbs. It's too bad summer is coming and I may be gaining weight but by fall I should have this under control and be the healthiest I've been in years. I do 45 minutes of exercise 4 or 5 times a week (Jillian Micheals and my elliptical) and walk my dog daily. The extra cals are scary but with the nicer weather I can be a bit more active and maybe I won't gain alot during the reset. Wish me luck!
  • jyska
    Options

I have been doing everything, per protocol of this group: Eating 40/30/30, netting BMR, using Scooby for my numbers. I'm running 3x week training for a half-marathon. I've only been lifting 1-2 times a week, so I know it's not water retention for that, because I'm not lifting enough right now. When running season winds down, I'll up the lifting, and get serious about it at least 3x week. In the beginning of 2012, I had stalled at eating 1400/1500 for over three months. I thought upping to 1800/1900 would do the trick, but instead I've gained 5 pounds and have continued being stalled. Everybody says to throw out the scale, but the simple fact is that my measurements haven't changed either. Having a hard time believing my metabolism is so screwed up. I'm frightened to jump up to TDEE, because my head/heart can't take gaining another 5 pounds because of it.

*HUGS* I know it's hard to even consider gaining one more pound...I feel the same way. It sounds like you had the same response I did (up 5 pounds and stabilized there. Even my inches went up a bit and stabilized.) If you aren't ready mentally to do a full reset and accept the gains that might come with it, you may need to work up to that yet. But...if you think you can do it and stick to it....I encourage you to do so. I know if I didn't attempt this reset I would wonder for the rest of my life if I sold myself short and that would just kill me inside...more so than gaining a few more pounds will.

We are here to support you, but really think about that reset if you are finding that tdee - 15% isn't working for you. Don't sell yourself short, but make sure you are emotionally and mentally ready for it when you start.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Im beginning to think I am in the same boat.. 10 weeks and basically havent changed..But I honestly dont know if I can handle another 8 weeks of gaining to eat more

My only problem is how I calculate my TDEE... If I use the basic Scooby calculator it tells me TDEE is 2800. If I use the one with the BF% from the Calvert calculator, TDEE is 2600

One is up only 200 cals from where I am now, the other being 400... No idea which one is "right"
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow - there are so many of us. I went straight to TDEE-15 also. I've decided to do a maintenance week, but now I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat and need to do a full reset. I've never done that. And it's true - everything seems to be grinding to a halt. It's scary to think of going up - especially since I've made decent progress. I definitely wouldn't want to put on anything that's come off. But if I get the number right, I shouldn't. That's the scary part for me. I *think* I should be at 2400 calories for maintenance - a bit higher probably once I'm back into running (bum pinky toe right now - on forced break).

So it sounds like there is a group of us that need to do this. Would it be easier for us to do this together - perhaps have a running thread to check in and stay accountable to the reset. I know that I will want to cheat and go back to the cut as soon as possible. Anyone else feel that way?
  • jyska
    Options
    Im beginning to think I am in the same boat.. 10 weeks and basically havent changed..But I honestly dont know if I can handle another 8 weeks of gaining to eat more

My only problem is how I calculate my TDEE... If I use the basic Scooby calculator it tells me TDEE is 2800. If I use the one with the BF% from the Calvert calculator, TDEE is 2600

One is up only 200 cals from where I am now, the other being 400... No idea which one is "right"

Calculating accurately is such a hard thing isn't it? In all honesty, I don't really know the answer to your question except that if you have the money (and are in a location that supports it) get a Body Media Fit. I finally got one myself a week ago cause the numbers were driving me CRAZY!! I need to know they are as accurate as possible! hehe Now, with the BMF, I know (within a small percentage of error) what my TDEE is. Having the BMF is about as accurate as I can get. So, I'm just taking a 7 day reading of my daily tdee's, dividing by 7 to get my mean average and using that as my weekly tdee. I found so far that it works out pretty close to the basic scooby calculator but I want to do a second week of normal routine to make sure (this past week was a bit off routine)
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    oh geez, I missed this step also. I upped my cals beginning of May and have been losing/gaining the same 1-2kg for the last month. :sad:
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately a Fitbit or Body media is definitely not in the budget..
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Marking to read later at length. I hope with the constant binges (because yout ell me I'm done with carbs for the day then i will surely binge and say whatever) I've been doing after a day of getting to my goal I have already basically done the reset. Just tired of all this logging. :( I want to be "normal" again. I decided to take a break (have the last 3 days) and eat when my body tells me to. I have been eating healthy too and still excercising consistantly. I'll see I guess, it anythign ti feels good mentally right now. Hubbie likes me not measuring every little ounce. :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I would love to get a BMF, but yeah - not in the budget right now!
  • jyska
    Options

:cry: Well, like I said, it seems to work out for me pretty close to the basic scooby calculator (within about 50 cals) so far. If you like, you can message me in a week and ask me how it compared once I've put in a full normal week of exercise? I plan to do it again then anyways....then maybe it will give you a bit more info to work with?
  • jyska
    Options
    oh geez, I missed this step also. I upped my cals beginning of May and have been losing/gaining the same 1-2kg for the last month. :sad:

:cry: *hugs* well, look at the bright side- you are only about 4 weeks in compared to my 8....AND it's never too late to give that reset a whirl on the dance floor!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Ya I hear you on this one. Mine is such a wild swing from a BF Calc method like Katch-McCardle compared to the Jeor method (basic scooby).

I am getting my BF professionally measured this week. I may also have my BMR/RMR tested as well so I know i have an accurate as method as possible.

I havent been posting much about it, as I dont want to confuse anyone lol
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Where are you getting al of that tested? I have personal trainers at my gym, but I dont know what they will do for someone who isnt a client of theirs, and Im certainly not in a position to pay for one...

I am going to try and up my cals for a bit and see what happens.. Im beyond frustrated at what is going on and I need for something to finally give and work.. Im *This* close to going back down to 1500 cals a day and I HATE that feeling
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you think i should do a full reset, knowing htat I am up 7lbs when upping from 1500-1800 for about 2 months, and not knowing if it has stabilized there? I know this is the hardest thing but I just want reassruance that this will work as in my weight might even go up 12 lbs total, but i will lose that and more...

I am kind of in raynn1's situation where I am so close to going back down to 1500 calories...

ive also been EXTREMELY tired lately, and ravenously hungry on some days, which from reading posts, is a sign that tell me its working but measurements and scale says otherwise...
  • annalistic
    annalistic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm resetting too - today was day one. And I did my big bike ride for a 1200 calorie burn. That meant I had to eat back every stinking calorie to even get close to NET BMR today. Drank lots of milk and looks like I'll make it with room for a Fruit Loop Martini later. I love to eat, so that's no problem at all. Now I'm off to friend each and every one of you so we can all support each other for the next 8 weeks. Good luck to all of you!
  • jyska
    Options
    Do you think i should do a full reset, knowing htat I am up 7lbs when upping from 1500-1800 for about 2 months, and not knowing if it has stabilized there? I know this is the hardest thing but I just want reassruance that this will work as in my weight might even go up 12 lbs total, but i will lose that and more...

I am kind of in raynn1's situation where I am so close to going back down to 1500 calories...

ive also been EXTREMELY tired lately, and ravenously hungry on some days, which from reading posts, is a sign that tell me its working but measurements and scale says otherwise...

I understand your fears. I too have seen signs that this is working but with no movement on the scale or inches (except up). I personally believe that is because it IS working to some degree...I'm raising my metabolism for sure...just not enough yet. As I said earlier in this post, I would be very sad to see anyone give up on this before trying a full reset. It just makes sense to me that it would be a vitally important part of the process and the fact that I'm stalled out after gaining weight the past 8 weeks simply tells me that I didn't 'finish what I started'. I need to reset, not just bandaid.

I think that if I lowered my calories right now, I would see some success in weight loss but ONLY because I just finished raising my metabolism to the Cut Value. I haven't fixed anything, just moved the line up.

I cannot give you any promises that this will work - I'm still a work in progress myself...only Kiki and Lucia's testimonies are proof of this right now (because they've gone through the entire process). But I can promise you that I FULLY BELIEVE IN THIS GAME PLAN. The facts are all lined up...they make sense. Besides, I already know that Low Cal Dieting is a trap...why on earth would I go back there before giving this a full whirl?

The reset is your decision, but personally I say go for it. You'd only be selling yourself (and this process) short if you don't give it a full tryout. It might not be a pretty 8 weeks for us, but I believe they are necessary.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting al of that tested? I have personal trainers at my gym, but I dont know what they will do for someone who isnt a client of theirs, and Im certainly not in a position to pay for one...

I am going to try and up my cals for a bit and see what happens.. Im beyond frustrated at what is going on and I need for something to finally give and work.. Im *This* close to going back down to 1500 cals a day and I HATE that feeling

So far I have had one done via calipers by a personal trainer, and I am getting the immersion tank done at a local LifestyleRX. its attached to Valley Health Care and they have a health/nutrition department. I think they are charging 75 bucks.