TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So, been eating 20% below my TDEE for a couple weeks now. No changes from the previous level of 1350. Except that I feel stuffed all the time. Blech. When I first made the change, my body reacted with extreme hunger and thirst. It's leveled off some, except for that feeling of being stuffed all the time....

Hey! So you havent lost or gained anything when you upped your calories? Thats a good sign, if you were getting too many calories you would be gaining weight :)

What are you number right now? and how many days a week are you exercising (what type).

Mike
    I'm shooting for 1750 calories a day. It's hard to do (unless I eat crap)! Even eating something 5 x a day! That includes 2 protein shakes, or one shake and one bar/cookie.

My goal is 1750 too. My diary is open - you're welcome to check it out to see if it helps.
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So, been eating 20% below my TDEE for a couple weeks now. No changes from the previous level of 1350. Except that I feel stuffed all the time. Blech. When I first made the change, my body reacted with extreme hunger and thirst. It's leveled off some, except for that feeling of being stuffed all the time....

Hey! So you havent lost or gained anything when you upped your calories? Thats a good sign, if you were getting too many calories you would be gaining weight :)

What are you number right now? and how many days a week are you exercising (what type).

Mike
    I'm shooting for 1750 calories a day. It's hard to do (unless I eat crap)! Even eating something 5 x a day! That includes 2 protein shakes, or one shake and one bar/cookie.

My goal is 1750 too. My diary is open - you're welcome to check it out to see if it helps.

Thanks! I will.
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, Angelina. We're not too different. I am just so used to eating only 1300-1400 calories a day, that 1750 or so seems a lot. How much do you exercise? I try to stay in the "very active" category, but weeks like this, when I have to take care of my Mom, I get much less. Just so frustrated!
  • HK38
    HK38 Posts: 14
    Options
    This is an interesting topic - I lost 25lb consistently and constantly using MFP =- then plateaued.

Been working out 4 times a week (weights) and the other days cardio....

Im gonna try this and see what happens
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, Angelina. We're not too different. I am just so used to eating only 1300-1400 calories a day, that 1750 or so seems a lot. How much do you exercise? I try to stay in the "very active" category, but weeks like this, when I have to take care of my Mom, I get much less. Just so frustrated!

I've used the 3-5 hours moderate level in the Scooby website and a 15% cut. Is that the site you got your numbers from? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I do a mix of elliptical, stationery bike, walking and 30 Day Shred. I have a day or 2 off each week.

I did struggle at first to eat the calories. One of my MFP friends commented that she couldn't last from breakfast until lunch without a snack after looking at my diary. I was finding that it was a chore to eat all the calories at night purely because I hadn't eaten enough in the day. It took a week or two but with the increase in calories and the snacks, my body has become used to it and I NEED to feed it :laugh:

I wonder if it would be an idea to drop down in the activity category AND the amount of exercise so that it covers the times you care for your mum and you can eat at a consistent number?
  • sharpei65
    sharpei65 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    new thread bumped!

I'm two days in with increased calories and already feeling healthier and a 1lb down..lol
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    Okay, so I am brand new to this idea of eating more to weigh less... it's hard when even dietitians recommend eating below your bmr to lose weight... conflicting messages, yikes.

Anyway, I calculated my TDEE and BMR with the scooby website and my 15% cut number is 1850. Unless I burn more than 450 calories in exercise, I do not log it, right? BUT, if I burn 300 calories and do not log it, I would have to eat 1700 calories minimally to meet my BMR NET... therefore, always eating 1850 calories, every single day, even days I don't exercise is probably best, right? I think that's my only question... I eat at 1850 even on days I have no activity... right?

It's tough eating so much.... what percentage does it have to be "clean" eating? I mean, I won't completely veg out on bad foods, but I do like some junk food.... and it's really hard to eat healthy foods in large portions like that... haha. ;)

EDIT: Should I lower my protein macro to 25% if at 30% I'd be eating more grams than I weigh? I weigh 128 and at 25% I'd be eating 116 grams, and at 30% I'd be eating 136 grams... Which would be better?
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My TDEE - 15% is 1881 calories........My BMR is 1428 calories.

Today I'm sitting at a litle over 1500 which is above my BMR but under my TDEE. I havent worked out today at all and quite frankly I've been sitting around all day except for going to the grocery store ealier.

I am under my calories by about 300 but over in sugar grams and will be over in fat grams soon and it's 8pm and I have to eat my "treat" that I previously tracked.

My question is: Should I eat the extra 300 calories tonight to get to the 1881 and go over in sugar and fat grams or should I just call it a night and end at the 1500 which is under my TDEE but still above my BMR?

Thanks again friends!!! :happy:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Today I'm sitting at a litle over 1500 which is above my BMR but under my TDEE. I havent worked out today at all and quite frankly I've been sitting around all day except for going to the grocery store ealier.

I am under my calories by about 300 but over in sugar grams and will be over in fat grams soon and it's 8pm and I have to eat my "treat" that I previously tracked.

My question is: Should I eat the extra 300 calories tonight to get to the 1881 and go over in sugar and fat grams or should I just call it a night and end at the 1500 which is under my TDEE but still above my BMR?

Its up to you . I generally try and hit my calorie goal regardless of what I do/where my macros are. But as long as you are not netting below your BMR for one day, its not gonna be an issue.

If its just one day, maybe go for the treat :)
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options

Its up to you . I generally try and hit my calorie goal regardless of what I do/where my macros are. But as long as you are not netting below your BMR for one day, its not gonna be an issue.

I think I just might :) Thanks!

Another ? for anyone: Do you think it matters when/what time of day you eat your calories??? I've heard so many different things about this topic...........close the kitchen at 8pm, dont eat anything after dinner, dont eat anything 2 hours prior to bedtime, or some say it doesnt matter what time you eat at night... calories in are calories in and doesnt matter....What is your opinion???
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options

I think I just might :) Thanks!

Another ? for anyone: Do you think it matters when/what time of day you eat your calories??? I've heard so many different things about this topic...........close the kitchen at 8pm, dont eat anything after dinner, dont eat anything 2 hours prior to bedtime, or some say it doesnt matter what time you eat at night... calories in are calories in and doesnt matter....What is your opinion???

As a rule of thumb, I think the "kitchen is closed at 8" rule is for people who are prone to unhealthy late night snacking. Honestly, I don't think it matters what time you eat, people lead different lives and don't fall into the standard category of sleeping from 10pm-6am or any night time variation. It just matters that you get the right amount of calories in - whether it be 1200 or 2500, depending on "diet" of choice.... just my two cents.
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    OK i am interested in this whole philosophy. From all the different calculators, my TDEE is 2626. My BMR is 1694.
    SO i should be eating 2100 calories per day??
    That seems SO high!
    I have been set at 1500 for a while now, losing slowly though. Do ya'll think if i set it at 1800, i'd be better off?

Thanks!
  • yaelks
    yaelks Posts: 1
    Options
    hi everyone! i'm trying to figure out what my activity level would be considered (so i can properly calculate my bmr/tdee etc).

i work a desk job, but i walk at least 20-30 minutes a day to and from work/with my dog. i also do bodyweight/hiit workouts 5-6 days a week (approx 20-30 minutes each).

would that be a light or moderate activity level?

thanks so much - this concept is new, but very exciting to me!

cheers :).
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    OK i am interested in this whole philosophy. From all the different calculators, my TDEE is 2626. My BMR is 1694.
    That seems SO high!
    I have been set at 1500 for a while now, losing slowly though. Do ya'll think if i set it at 1800, i'd be better off?

Thanks!

what do you have your activity level set to? How long have you been at 1500 calories?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    hi everyone! i'm trying to figure out what my activity level would be considered (so i can properly calculate my bmr/tdee etc).

i work a desk job, but i walk at least 20-30 minutes a day to and from work/with my dog. i also do bodyweight/hiit workouts 5-6 days a week (approx 20-30 minutes each).

would that be a light or moderate activity level?

thanks so much - this concept is new, but very exciting to me!

cheers :).

Hello!

You are definitely in the moderate activity level, towards the top end of it!
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That seems SO high!

Thanks!

what do you have your activity level set to? How long have you been at 1500 calories?

I am set on Moderate. I stay pretty active and exercise atleast 4 times/wk. I guess i have been on 1500 for a few months now.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    That seems SO high!

Thanks!

I am set on Moderate. I stay pretty active and exercise atleast 4 times/wk. I guess i have been on 1500 for a few months now.

I would definitely bump your calories up to your TDEE -15% target. You can do it slowly (100 calorie bump every 7 days) or you can just pull the bandaid off and hit 2100 from the get go. Its up to you.

You think 2100 is alot ? hehe.. When I am eating at maintenance I am eat 3500+ calories in 1 day :) Thats tough! Plus my weight only goes down :)

It can seem daunting at first for sure...just eat a lot of full fat foods, calorie dense foods (avacados anyone?)
  • latysh
    latysh Posts: 29
    Options
    So right now I have used the link and here are my results.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1566
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 2154
    Daily calories based on goal in step 1723

I only exersice one a week (sometimes twice) for about an hour. Mostly cardio + 10 min of mashines.

Does this mean I must eat 1566 cal a day to keep loosing weight ????

This just makes no sence as MFP sets my calories at 1200!!!
    I have been going at 1200 for about 2 month, lost 16lb but now been at same weight for over 3-4 weeks. I have 25 pounds to loose still.

Please help me!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump -
  • latysh
    latysh Posts: 29
    Options
    Anyone ?