Getting Started

Options

Replies

• Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just started this week, Monday did Stage 1 Workout A but I didnt feel like I was lifting heavy enough... felt fine Tuesday morning, but by Wednesday morning it felt like someone took a knife to my quads :noway:. For some strange reason, it takes me 36-48 hours to feel soreness. Wednesday I was more ambitious with the weights, and I think I finally got to a place where im lifting heavy enough on most exercises (sometimes I couldn't even finish the reps on the second set). Scared to see how I feel tomorrow, but excited to see my body start to change :happy:
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump (picking up the book tomorrow)
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Really glad to find this group. So far I have lost 33lbs with better eating and exercise, but now want to focus on dropping my body fat a few percentage points, so I am going for weights.

I've started reading the book but about to go on a beach holiday, so will study it whilst I am away and come back ready to start in earnest. I was eyeing up the weights section of my gym last night and felt very intimidated and didn't know what to do, so I think I will be going for a one to one with my bootcamp trainer to go through all the exercises that I don't already know how to do to get my confidence up about how to do it. I was too unsure about how to use the big bars, so I just went for dumbells to have a go at some squats.

Thanks for all the good info here!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Just started reading the book last night, and hoping to get started soon. I've been lifting a bit in this great circuit training class I take 2x/week, and have increased weights there. But I'm sure this will be MUCH different for me. Hoping this'll help me keep off those last 5 lbs.
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have had the book a couple of weeks but finally picked it up this morning and read it cover to cover!!!

I'm a bit nervous at slashing my workouts as I currently exercise for around 6hrs over 4-5 days. Stage 1 will take about 20mins.... thats only 60mins a week.

I'm meeting with a trainer tomo to discuss it and make sure I can use all the equipment properly (the squat rack has only been seen from afar!)

I want to nail this without undoing the work done so far!

Great tips/advice on this thread though!!
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, I've read the book, printed off my worksheets, re-capped on the exercises for today so... I better get on with it! Wish me luck on my first session!
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    So I'm about to start the program (tomorrow! and the next workout will hopefully be Monday). My concern is this: I will be working out in the weight room of my building. I'll be alone down there most likely. I won't have anyone to check my form and I'll need to teach myself how to use the machines. Has anyone else done this with absolutely no help (no trainers, gym staff, husbands, etc.)? Am I going to be doing something dangerous? There are mirrors around so I can check my form that way...
  • got2beefit
    Options
    yes andreabrights....I am doing it right now. all by myself (no trainer, no gym staff, no husband and no mirrors i know not good...well they will be going up soon). I have a home gym..I am in stage 1 repeat in the final 2 weeks. I have to repeat it since in the beginning i didn't follow it consistently and i figured I will get more practice getting the right posture. after I finished stage 1 i read the book again and realized I did not have the right posture for some of the exercise throughout the whole stage...so I had to repeat it plus it made me that much more motivated. can't wait to move on to stage 2. I have already seeing my body change...for good.

good luck mariepaul. you can do it.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today! I've been putting it off for a couple of "reasons" - legit, but in the long run, excuses. I, like you, got2besxy, have a home workout center, with bench bars, weight plates and dumbbells. So I"m starting tonight when I get home from work.

Any other middle agers out there starting or just started? I am 60 years young (I have no idea how that happened either!)
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the book today and I'm thinking about giving it a try.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I have been stalking and reading the book. Just printed out logs for Stage 1 and am meeting with my trainer tomorrow am to get a form check on everything. Wish me luck.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this would help anyone but it is helping me. I just started Stage 1 this week (loving it so far) and I was having trouble remembering proper form for each exercise. So, I created a spreadsheet (really i just added to someone else's). It has the workouts on one side and I took sample pics of all of the workouts (Stage 1 Workout A & B) with descriptions and printed them on the other side.

I can send anyone the spreadsheet if you would like it. It has helped me when I don't remember proper form or what the exercise i just look on the back of my workout log and it's all there.
  • Traceyrohrer
    Traceyrohrer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Would you mind sending it to me. email edited for privacy
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Would you mind sending it to me. email edited for privacy

I emailed it to you! :smile:
  • danielle5243
    danielle5243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I ordered the book a couple days ago and I am really anxious to get it! zgdsmith would you please send me the spread sheet! I want to get as much prepared as I can so that I can get started ASAP! email edited for privacy
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    hello, everyone! I am 40yrs old and have lost 25 lbs since December. I have seen several convincing sucess stories on MFP about lifting heavy. I read the book and started last Thursday. So far I love it, but I am struggling with the prone jack knife. (I'm sure its a comical sight to behold), although I've read enough of your posts to understand I will be a "pro" at those before it is all done.
    Thank goodness!

What does everyone else do on their rest days? I am really finding myself just itching to go in and lift, but I don't want to cause injuries. I did not realize I would be hooked so quickly!
  • allybeee
    allybeee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hi guys,

Iv had this book for about 3 months now, unfortunately around the time i also damaged my achilles, in both legs. I have been unable to do much because of that. I have been given the ok from my physio to start exercising as long as it is no impact, biking /cross trainer ok, pilates ok and anything classed as eccentric ( lengthening not shortening of the muscle) advised to stay away from lunges, but anything else should be ok.

Can anyone advise me from their experience whether it would be ok to start doing this, or should i wait until it is healed completely? whether there is anything i should avoid in stage 1 and possible substitutes for them? thanks i would love to get going feeling very frustrated doing nothing and i know my usual HIIT workout i not possible at all right now

:) thanks

PS i would also love the spreadsheet email edited for privacy, thanks
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am planning to start tomorrow :) very nervous & very new to lifting! I do have a question.... In stage 1, which squays do u do? The book has different types?!

=) Brandi
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this would help anyone but it is helping me. I just started Stage 1 this week (loving it so far) and I was having trouble remembering proper form for each exercise. So, I created a spreadsheet (really i just added to someone else's). It has the workouts on one side and I took sample pics of all of the workouts (Stage 1 Workout A & B) with descriptions and printed them on the other side.

I can send anyone the spreadsheet if you would like it. It has helped me when I don't remember proper form or what the exercise i just look on the back of my workout log and it's all there.

Can you send it to me please! I'm starting tomorrow!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am planning to start tomorrow :) very nervous & very new to lifting! I do have a question.... In stage 1, which squays do u do? The book has different types?!

=) Brandi

That depends on what equipment you have available. Ideally, barbell squats using a squat rack. You can lift huge amounts of weight (no not right now) and have the best effect. Check out mehdi from stronglifts.com. That guy squats something like 350 to 400 pounds I think and he's not muscle bound. But he uses a squat rack all the time.

I workout at home, and tho I have a bench, there's no room for me to squat from it, so I use dumbbells. I started with goblet squats - holding a dumbbell in both hands at midsection and focusing on form. I need heavier weight now so I'm switching to 2 dumbbells held at my shoulders to be a close to barbell squats as possible, but I'm going to have to get to the gym soon to be able to effectively increase my weight.