Stage 1

Options

Replies

• epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was doing much on Monday with my dinky little 8lb dumbbells, but holy cow are my quads sore today!!! I'm going to have to warm those suckers up good before I start B1 today. What are some tips on dealing with the soreness? I'm sure it's just going to get worse as I move up in weight.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're only just starting to work out, you should expect some soreness - it eases off as your body gets used to it. Even though I've been moving my weights up every week, I am nowhere near as sore as I was for the first few days. Try taking a hot bath and doing extra stretches after your workouts.

@TheFunBun - I think I prefer deadlifts, if only because the amount of weight makes me feel like a badass!

Doing workout 4B tonight!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was doing much on Monday with my dinky little 8lb dumbbells, but holy cow are my quads sore today!!! I'm going to have to warm those suckers up good before I start B1 today. What are some tips on dealing with the soreness? I'm sure it's just going to get worse as I move up in weight.

Soreness seems to get better after the first 2 exercises. Then if I up my weights too much I get sore again.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options

When I started lifting again, I MADE myself start yoga two days a week. (and yes, I HATE yoga!) but it does help with soreness for me. It may be worth a try!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first B workout and my legs are DONE! They were shaking uncontrollably doing those last few lunges! I'm totally hooked! Now for a peanut butter and banana protein shake. :)
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Same here, B1 completed today. Those lunges are BRUTAL! But imagine how great we're gonna feel in a few weeks when 15 lunges seem easy:wink:
  • justjen0117
    Options

When I started lifting again, I MADE myself start yoga two days a week. (and yes, I HATE yoga!) but it does help with soreness for me. It may be worth a try!

I have a foam roller that I use. it hurts but it definitely helps with the second day soreness.
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 B7 today!
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Finished 6B today, 4 more workouts and then on to stage 2!! Love love love this program. My weight is not moving but my body is definitely changing, can't wait to take pics and measurements at the end of the stage.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Start of Program

Squats: BW (I was doing it with a trainer and it was almost as if he was against me doing barbell. So I said I will do it my way next time).
    Pushups: Regular for 1st set and second set 45. I did a 3rd set at 45 degree as well (waiting for Seated Row)
    Seated Row: 70lbs
    Step-up: 10lbs each hand
    Prone Jackknife: BW for 15

Deadlift: 50lbs (was working on form at this point and not weight)
    Dumbbell shoulder press: 25 lbs each hand (50lbs) x 3 sets ( I was waiting on the lat pulldown)
    Lat Pulldown: 100lbs
    Lungs: 25lbs per hand (50lbs)
    Swiss ball Crunch: BW
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I second the yoga! I have done Yoga before but after my lifting session I felt GREAT. Give it a shot.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm starting 5A I think tomorrow. It is when the sets move to 3 for each exercise. So does that mean I'll do squat, squat, squat, push ups, seated row, push ups, seated row, push ups, seated row, step ups, jacknife, step ups, jack knife, step ups, jack knife?

Just making sure. And one other question - does one set of the step ups mean both legs - or does each leg count as one set? I've been doing one set with right leg, one set with left and counting that as One set. Is that right?

Thank you! :)

Sherry
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm starting 5A I think tomorrow. It is when the sets move to 3 for each exercise. So does that mean I'll do squat, squat, squat, push ups, seated row, push ups, seated row, push ups, seated row, step ups, jacknife, step ups, jack knife, step ups, jack knife?

Just making sure. And one other question - does one set of the step ups mean both legs - or does each leg count as one set? I've been doing one set with right leg, one set with left and counting that as One set. Is that right?

Sherry

Definitely work each leg a set as you've been doing. And yes about the sets order. I think. Hehe.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Sherry
    I'm doing 5A tomorrow too! Pretty sure you're right about the sets, and one set of step-ups does mean doing it on both legs.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just started on Monday, and was supposed to do 1B yesterday, and then today, but I am still SOOOO sore! Hopefully I'll be better recovered tomorrow and I'll still be on target with 2 workouts/wk, although I'd really prefer to do 3. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yay - someone on my schedule! :) Thank you for the replies, I thought so but I wanted to check and be sure. I go tonight to the gym for 5A - so hopefully I will be able to move tomorrow. Haha...

Sherry
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just started on Monday, and was supposed to do 1B yesterday, and then today, but I am still SOOOO sore! Hopefully I'll be better recovered tomorrow and I'll still be on target with 2 workouts/wk, although I'd really prefer to do 3. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes, I have been super sore, especially after lunge day. I found that doing some 'other' moving activities on my off days helps with the stiffness - yoga for sure, but even Zumba helps me to burn off the lactic acid build up. Even if I am a little sore, i still do the workout on my scheduled days as the lifting itself helps with the soreness too.

To the rest of you, KEEP it up! You are rocking this.

I will be taking a medical break from this for a while, so I'll lurk and try to be supportive. Guess I'm come back to Stage 1 and start over if the break is too long. In the meantime, I am going to work on my pushups like it is my job!
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, I have just completed my first Workout A1 and I really enjoyed it (once i had located everything at the gym!). I found the push-ups the hardest and just about managed 15 reps at 45-60 degree angle. I'd never done jackknifes before so that was interesting positioning myself on the ball. I'd hardly say I was ladylike or graceful on my first attempt lol They really work though don't they? Not sure how much I will ache yet because I have been doing some strength training at the gym for about six weeks - especially barbell squats. Not looking forward to the lunges in the next one.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Yes, I have been super sore, especially after lunge day. I found that doing some 'other' moving activities on my off days helps with the stiffness - yoga for sure, but even Zumba helps me to burn off the lactic acid build up. Even if I am a little sore, i still do the workout on my scheduled days as the lifting itself helps with the soreness too.

Thanks! I guess I just need to woman up :) I'm actually going to try to go today after work and before playing softball (and hopefully make some room for the pizza and beer on the schedule for this evening) and then I can pick up with A2 on Sunday, sticking to 3/wk!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I just did 7B, and I'm pretty upset.

I tossed a bar on my back and got down to do lunges, but my dumb knee started hurting. So I was like, "Fine, fine, bodyweight then", and the sucker STILL hurt. So I was like, "back leg raised?" hurt. "Front leg on step?" hurt.

Whatever, icing that crap knee now. I'm not sure what to do with it. BOO. I wanna lunge.

Oh, DEADLIFT up again. Go me.