Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    2A completed this morning, Sunday mornings at the gym are lovely and quiet. Much prefer my B days...... Changed to using the bar for my squats only had about 10lbs on it, gonna try and work on my form for a while before bumping up :smile:

I have to sink SO LOW to get my upper thighs parallel to the floor (full squat). I dropped weights entirely from my lunges for the first couple of weeks so that I could really get down to the floor as well, and I'm still doing them with light weights. It is much better to have form than weight!

I raise my heels a lot too, gotta break myself of that! I've walked on my tip toes since I was little, it's comfy :smile:
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Did 5B tonight. Not exhilarated. Just tired. *snooze*
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Okay I have another question for you ladies! I have been doing the deadlift with a curl bar....anyone know how much the bar weighs on it's own??

And holy crap do my legs hurt today...on A4 I bumped up my squatting weight from 65 lbs. last time to 75 lbs. It was HARD! I love this program SO much!

The curl bar weighs, according to my husband, 15 pounds. That's what I've been using too.

Thanks! I thought it was around there! :)
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 1 last Wednesday.

Dead lift (roman) 65 >95
    Shoulder press 10 > 20
    Lat pull down 50 > 70
    Lunge 15 > 25
    Swiss ball crunch > Swiss ball with 12 lb kettle ball overhead
    Squat 40 > 85
    Push up > all done on floor.
    Seated row 60 > 80
    Step up 10. W/ 18" step > 25 w/ 12" step. I am only 5'3 and with the higher step my knee was going over 90 degrees. Decided to lower the step and increase weight. With the (2) 25# db it was challenging without straining my knees... P.S. I love these! :)
    Prone jackknife . Done. These were challenging but effective.

I did not weigh during the entire stage . Mostly because I was scared and did not want the scale to impact and possibly defeat my efforts. I weighed the same as when I started on April 30th. No more no less. Not sure what to think of this.?!
    I was eating at a 200 calorie deficit which put me at 1500 nwo days and 1700 wo days. I am going to study the book again and reevaluate calories. With HIIT being added in stage 2 I will probably omit the 200 calorie deficit. Increasing calories has been a challenge! I was one of those people. That hardly ever went over 1100-1200/day.

Measurements
    Bust 34.5 > 35.0
    Bicep 11.0 < 10.5
    Forearm 9.0
    Waist 29.5 < 28
    Hips 38.5 < 38.25
    Thigh 22 < 21.5
    Stomach 34 < 33.5

3.25" lost overall. Body fat down 2.0%. Not extreme results but I am happy with what I achieved in 5 weeks. Looking forward to stage 2!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Dead lift (roman) 65 >95
    Shoulder press 10 > 20
    Lat pull down 50 > 70
    Lunge 15 > 25
    Squat 40 > 85
    Seated row 60 > 80
    Step up 10. W/ 18" step > 25 w/ 12" step. I am only 5'3 and with the higher step my knee was going over 90 degrees. Decided to lower the step and increase weight. With the (2) 25# db it was challenging without straining my knees... P.S. I love these! :)

I did not weigh during the entire stage . Mostly because I was scared and did not want the scale to impact and possibly defeat my efforts. I weighed the same as when I started on April 30th. No more no less. Not sure what to think of this.?!
    I was eating at a 200 calorie deficit which put me at 1500 nwo days and 1700 wo days. I am going to study the book again and reevaluate calories. With HIIT being added in stage 2 I will probably omit the 200 calorie deficit. Increasing calories has been a challenge! I was one of those people. That hardly ever went over 1100-1200/day.

Measurements
    Bust 34.5 > 35.0
    Bicep 11.0 < 10.5
    Forearm 9.0
    Waist 29.5 < 28
    Hips 38.5 < 38.25
    Thigh 22 < 21.5
    Stomach 34 < 33.5

3.25" lost overall. Body fat down 2.0%. Not extreme results but I am happy with what I achieved in 5 weeks. Looking forward to stage 2!

I think you did wonderful!!!

2% body fat gone = AWESOME!!!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid, what does PSOAS stand for? It might be an 'across the water' difference in language thing - or just me lol. I love your attitude by the way! :laugh:

Hehe, it's just one of those little talked about muscles- I think only physical therapists and people who want box splits talk about it, so if you haven't heard of it you can probably assume you have a nice, balanced psoas. I guess it's a stability muscle.. but.. sure did feel like it was doing more than stabilizing!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Dead lift (roman) 65 >95
    Shoulder press 10 > 20
    Lat pull down 50 > 70
    Lunge 15 > 25
    Squat 40 > 85
    Seated row 60 > 80

Measurements
    Bust 34.5 > 35.0
    Bicep 11.0 < 10.5
    Forearm 9.0
    Waist 29.5 < 28
    Hips 38.5 < 38.25
    Thigh 22 < 21.5
    Stomach 34 < 33.5

Those are pretty amazing results! Nice one!
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Options
    Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid, what does PSOAS stand for? It might be an 'across the water' difference in language thing - or just me lol. I love your attitude by the way! :laugh:

Hehe, it's just one of those little talked about muscles- I think only physical therapists and people who want box splits talk about it, so if you haven't heard of it you can probably assume you have a nice, balanced psoas. I guess it's a stability muscle.. but.. sure did feel like it was doing more than stabilizing!

PSOAS is actually a very important muscle and it's rare that anyone has a healthy one! lol:) Healthy meaning not tight in some way. I'm a massage therapist, and PSOAS is one of the least stretched and least worked (as in, when you're getting a massage) but most used muscles in your body! It attaches to the front of your lumbar spine and goes down and attaches to the top of your inner thigh. It's responsible for hip flexion (lifting your leg at the hip) and lumber stabilization. Most people with low back problems have a tight one:) All that being said, I didn't read through everything, so I don't know who was talking about it and why, but I wanted to share what it is:)
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Options

Dead lift (roman) 65 >95
    Shoulder press 10 > 20
    Lat pull down 50 > 70
    Lunge 15 > 25
    Squat 40 > 85
    Seated row 60 > 80

Measurements
    Bust 34.5 > 35.0
    Bicep 11.0 < 10.5
    Forearm 9.0
    Waist 29.5 < 28
    Hips 38.5 < 38.25
    Thigh 22 < 21.5
    Stomach 34 < 33.5

Great work! I'm jealous of your floor pushups, I can do like 3 lol:) Good for you, can't wait for Stage 2!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    @Kmsnomaha Great results!! lost inches and 2%BF in 5 weeks thats great!!!
    Hope you are taking pictures as you go!! :)
    The results will show even when the scale doesnt.

I did 8B today
    Dead lift (roman) 110lbs
    Shoulder press 15's (the 20's were taken)
    Lat pull down 90lbs
    Lunge 15's (the 20's were taken)
    Swiss ball crunch - with 25lb plate

:)

only AMRAPS left!!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    FInished 2B today and sweat my butt off! Those deadlifts are hard work! And kind of awkward too. I took your advice, FunBun and did warm-up lifts with just the bar - MUCH better. I'm sure taking the weekend off to repair the damage done to my muscles helped a lot too. :tongue:

Is there a reason to do Romanian deadlifts at this stage instead of the ones suggested in the book? It sounds like a lot of people are substituting. I feel like I load a lot more weight if I didn't have to squat down, but I didn't know if the squatting motion was essential for both workouts in this stage.
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I finish Stage 1 A8 today!!!!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Question on the lunges:

When you do these do you count doing each leg as 1 rep - so lunge with the right, then lunge with the left - rep 1 until all 15(really 30) are done? Or do you do one side first as 1 full set of reps, then the other?

Thanks
  • epcooper
    Options
    Do 15 on each leg per set, so 30 total. That way you're not doing one leg more than the other when you increase to 3 sets later in stage 1.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Thanks for that! I've just googled it and will keep an eye on that one when training. Talking of box splits, you've just reminded me that when I was a young girl I used to be able to jump into side and box splits! I used to be super-flexible in my gymnastics years. I dread to think what damage I would do attempting that in my forties! Ouch! :blushing:
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    @Kmsnomaha Great results!! lost inches and 2%BF in 5 weeks thats great!!!
    Hope you are taking pictures as you go!! :)
    The results will show even when the scale doesnt.

I did 8B today
    Dead lift (roman) 110lbs
    Shoulder press 15's (the 20's were taken)
    Lat pull down 90lbs
    Lunge 15's (the 20's were taken)
    Swiss ball crunch - with 25lb plate

:)

only AMRAPS left!!
    Thank you! I look forward to hearing about your results... Getting my stuff together now to start Stage 2 hopefully on Wednesday. I did the roman deadlifts because the regular ones hurt my back. Maybe form was not correct but I did not want to take any chances!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Is there a reason to do Romanian deadlifts at this stage instead of the ones suggested in the book? It sounds like a lot of people are substituting. I feel like I load a lot more weight if I didn't have to squat down, but I didn't know if the squatting motion was essential for both workouts in this stage.

haha

sorry i just copied someone else's workout list from the thread (yeah Im lazy i don't want to type it out) and inputted my weights.. actually i do regular deadlift..
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I finally started today after having a week off work.

1A
    Squats- (20kg Olympic bar) so ~44lbs
    Push ups- 2x 15 reps done on a 30 degree incline
    Dumbell bent over row ( no cabel station) - 5kg Dumbells ~11lbs
    Step ups - 7.5kg Dumbells ~16.5lbs
    Reverse crunch -2x15

There is only a 65cm exercise ball at the gym and I'm only 5ft5 so its too big, but I have one at home so managed to a few when I got back from the gym.
    Prone jacknife- 3
    Hoping to practise and improve this found it sp hard to stabilise.

If anyone has any advise please let me know. I think I can definitely up my bent over row weights for next time though.
  • epcooper
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I finally started today after having a week off work.

1A
    Squats- (20kg Olympic bar) so ~44lbs
    Push ups- 2x 15 reps done on a 30 degree incline
    Dumbell bent over row ( no cabel station) - 5kg Dumbells ~11lbs
    Step ups - 7.5kg Dumbells ~16.5lbs
    Reverse crunch -2x15

There is only a 65cm exercise ball at the gym and I'm only 5ft5 so its too big, but I have one at home so managed to a few when I got back from the gym.
    Prone jacknife- 3
    Hoping to practise and improve this found it sp hard to stabilise.

If anyone has any advise please let me know. I think I can definitely up my bent over row weights for next time though.

Great job!! I look forward to seeing your progress! I'm in my second week so feel free to add me as a friend if you need encouragement or have any questions!