x- Ride Reports -x

Options

Replies

• Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I'm doing the Brian Robinson Challenge this weekend (http://connect.garmin.com/course/1072742)

It's around Holmfirth / Huddresfield and takes in Holme Moss. I have everything crossed hoping that the weather stays at least dry, preferably with no wind. Looking at 2300m of climbing over 73 miles. I'm trying for approx 6 hours which will get me a bronze medal. The BF is going for gold :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Some fantastic countryside on that loop Tracey - hope the weather holds for you - it can be a wee bit bleak on the tops otherwise...
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I love Snickers Marathon Bars (the blue ones, not the green ones). Store is only about four miles away and I hadn't ridden in a while so I took the "long" way back.

Headwinds were killer.

Apparently loaded backpack is harder on the back than I remember.so by the time I got on the go fast 1st street, I was done.

Distance: 14.06mi

Duration: 54:47

Avg Speed: 15.4mi/h

kCal: 782
  • ciarq
    ciarq Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Back in the saddle after a tough few months of injuries and other interruptions, put in maybe 12 miles today - from Dock 52 parking lot in Marina del Rey to the end of the Ballona Creek Bike Path at Duquesne.

I don't have a bike computer - does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive one that will provide the basics? Are they easy to install?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cheapest (if you have a modern gps enabled smartphone (android,iphone etc)) is to download one of the free applications that turn your phone into a cyclecomputer/datalogger - lots to choose from - Strava and Endomondo are a couple of the better ones IMO.

Other than that, for a basic cyclecomputer - the Cateye Strada is fairly neat and simple to setup.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    05/28:
    27.65 miles
    Total Ascent: 1602 ft
    Total Descent 1604 ft
    Avg Speed: 14.8
    Max Speed 41.2

Fist time Riding S. Old Mail Rd. Never again. Chip seal. Firstly: OW, and secondly. . . well. . mostly just "ow"
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    I had an awesome ride on Sunday. It was the Hospice Cyclothon and it was scorching hot. I have lovely tan lines around my ankles lol (the only place that didn't get lathered in sun cream). We'd already decided to cycle the 10 miles to the start and then back home again so Sunday was going to be a long day, at least for me. It was lovely when we left home, we cycled nice a staedily to the Hospice where it was absolutely packed with people doing any one of the three routes available. As the longest distance we all started together at 9am and I've neever been in a peleton like it. They had Police stopping the traffic so that we could get out of the town centre safely and onto quieter roads. Everyone was happy, even the speed masters at the front though they didn't stay with us for long lol.
    The pace to the first tag stop 10 miles away and we'd done it really quickly, then we started to drift at a slightly slower pace and at our own pace which was better but I still tried to keep my own pace up. My aim was to finish in 4 hours so i knew I had to average 15mph and while the route is flat compared to most I've done, there is still some undualtion and I know how slow that makes me. After 2 hours I was hitting 33 miles and I knew I was doing well, the heat was unbelievable and I stopped at every checkpoint to get my tag dibbed and to take on more fluid, I drank about 3 litres on the ride and another 2 when I got home. The Army and RAF Cadets that helped out on the day were brilliant and handed out cake at all the stops, I only had 2 pieces :wink:
    My Garmin played up a few times on the ride and I had to restart it a short way from the start and then just left it to it's own devises when it stopped again and then restarted a few miles later. Before long it was only a short way to the finish, we had started to pass people that had done the shorter routes, especiallywhen we got to Castelford. Lock Lane roundabout was a hazard as was the one at the bottom of Ferrybridge Road but I manoevered them both ok though a wee bit slowly. At the main roundabout for the M62 near Xscape the traffic was a bit manic and one girl was cut up by a car, totally uncalled for, he could have given her the room she needed but she got to the other side ok if not a wee bit angry.
    Final push to finish was a bit busy, people finishing the ride, cars all over the place collecting people but the atmosphere was awesome. I finished in 4hrs 3 mins including stops and I'm well pleased with that considering the heat.
    It was an awersome day and we cycled home calling into the pub for a Coke with ice was just great, all the local bike club had made it and we all just sat and chatted in the sun. It was just an awesome day :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Fantastic ride Tracey - really sorry I missed it, but TBH knocking 70+ miles in after a week laid up with a dodgy back would have been a tad reckless I reckon. Might have a go at the route myself early one sunday soon - If I get up and out at 6am, I'll be back in time to make my dad his "Brunch" and my second breakfast I reckon... Reckon 5 hours is do-able (bearing in mind theres a hilly 5 miles start and finish for me added to the loop ??) for a fat lad ? Or should I be looking at a 5am start :laugh:
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    I had a fantastic ride on Memorial Day around Oneida Lake in Central New York. Weather was perfect.

Departure: 5:30 am
    Time: 3 Hours, 18 Minutes on a Mountain Bike
    Distance 57.1 miles
    Avg. Speed: 17 + MPH
    Relatively flat with minor elevation changes.

Gorgeous views. I pushed myself really hard. My ride around the lake is always in honor and memory of my brother Colonel Adrian C. Pone'. That morning I shared the passion of ride with all those who gave their lives in defense of our freedom.

I was disappointed to see that the NYS Troopers barracks in Sylvan Beach did not have their flag at half mast as is protocol for Dawn - Noon on Memorial Day. Surely an oversight. My flag, however, was lowered to half mast at 5 am in preparation for the ride. After the ride... Mass at St. Mary's Cemetary in Cleveland, NY, flag back to full mast at 12 noon, and a hot tub with my lovely wife.

God Bless you, Kermit.
  • ojosazules09
    ojosazules09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I'm new...I'll go post an intro soon. I've been injured, haven't really biked since December until this week, so trying to get back in slowly.

I went 7.29miles, about 32 minutes, burned approx 320 calories. I was on a road bike. Mostly flat, minimal hills, just because that's what we have around here!
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Good job! Take your time and don't over do it, yet...
  • ojosazules09
    Options
    TheBinYin- Thanks for sharing about the android apps...I have been using MapMyWalk, but setting it to cycling...I've now downloaded endomondo because it looks like a much better app!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    TheBinYin- Thanks for sharing about the android apps...I have been using MapMyWalk, but setting it to cycling...I've now downloaded endomondo because it looks like a much better app!

Glad to be of some assistance. :drinker:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - high time for a proper ride report from me.

Today's ride was a slightly different one to my normal road biking. To be honest, it'd rained all day yesterday, and only started to dry up a little by 1:00pm. So, rather than venture out on the roadbike, to roads that I know would be either full of impassable puddles or covered in thick mud (my regular loop is pretty rural most of the time, and at the moment a couple of the farmers are - ahem - muckspreading - so the roads are somewhat rendered in substances you don't want a face-full of :sick: - anyway - I dragged out the MTB instead. That way, even though I was still going to get filthy, I was going to be a) prepared for it, b) dressed to cope with it, and c) on a bike where I didn't care if it DID get a little muddy!

So - to the ride. Well - as with most of my riding, it's a out of the door ride - I don't tend to do much of the "drive somewhere then get the bike out" stuff. A quick half a mile or so on the road to the Village Green, and onto a old bridleway behind the Village Duckpond takes me out across a couple of fields and across a busy main road. Road Despatched and away again - this time on a narrow right of way that was basically created by the local miners walking from their homes to the pit. This skirts a couple of fields and again pops me out at the top of the next village, by the allotments. Next up is a mile or so on quiet roads until I can again turn aside to one of the country-parks that have sprung up on old defunct industrial workings (this one being a wildlife/wild bird reserve, based on a old opencast colliery) Half a Lap of the Lake - i'd have done a full one, but there were a large number of dog-walkers around, so I decided to get out with my shins un-nibbled - and down another quiet road, which again petered out into a bridleway through the woods in the grounds of Waterton Hall.

Old man Waterton was a bit of a character - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Waterton - and he left a large House, Lake, grounds (which now house a golf course among other things). The house has had an "interesting" past - at one point it was actually a maternity hospital - apparently, I was nearly born there, but there were complications and my Mother was taken to a "proper" hospital before I arrived.

Anyway - my route wound around the woods a little, then along the old Walton Canal, which again pops out at a normal road. Another quick road spin down a hill, and into another nature reserve - this time built on a former deep-shaft coal mine. I then progressed along, via a few trails and roads until hitting the village of Heath. A rather strange village - it's almost entirely composed of Large Victorian mansions. Basically, it was the nice suberb, where all the rich Victorian mill owners built their retreats.

(i'll finish the report in a second post, tomorrow if I may... Didn't realise what time it was when I started this :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Right - where was I - oh yes. Heath Village. Lovely place - there's a bit of blurb on it at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~petyt/heath.htm.

Anyway - my route didn't really allow me to call for a pint at the Kings Arms, so I pressed on, across the large central village green, and towards Half Moon woods - so named because of the crescent shaped lake in its centre, which I believe is a meander of the nearby river which was cut off. The trail leads through the Woods, and under a railway line up to a splendid old Iron Bridge - imaginatively named "The Blue Bridge" - Wonder Why :laugh:

3668502914_804f8bac2a.jpg

This Crosses the river, and deposits you on the bank of the Wakefield to Castleford branch of the Aire and Calder Navigation - a relatively quiet Canal, with a good solid towpath. I followed the towpath, Stanley Ferry (no relation to Bryan...) all the way through to the Altofts Basin, where I left and rejoined the road for a mile or so.

5139533607_4ae73374b8.jpg
    Stanley Ferry Aqueduct

By a combination of roadwork, and the odd cycle-path, I made it through Altofts and Normanton, and out to Warmfield - rather than taking the road home at this point, I again veered off, using a relatively new path that has again been created since the closing and re-landscaping of the grounds and environs of a former Colliery. The entire area that I live was built on, and in fairness, built for the purpose of removing Coal. When it was deemed "non-economically viable" to continue mining, the local mines were closed wholesale, leading to the near collapse of entire communities. 25+ years on, and the physical scars on the land have begun to heal - though the effects in the village communities are still felt - as is a sense of animosity to the Party of Government in power in the late 80's - it's probably one of the staunchest Labour voting areas in the Country - indeed a number of the Senior Shadow Cabinet members have seats around this area to ensure there is No Possibility of them being voted out!

Anyway - enough politics - lets finish the ride. After the landscaped curves of the new bridlepaths over the former colliery, it's a simple spin up "School Lane" - a metalled, but "impassible to vehicular transport" road - there's a railway bridge half way up, which is not rated for the weight of cars, so the road has been "bollarded off" and is gradually reverting to nature. And there I am, back in my village. Muddy - legs tingling from the Nettle Rash, and happy that the rain held off by and large...

A typical British Summer Ride

7166601303_022c0fdc67.jpg
  • ojosazules09
    Options
    I had an awesome ride today! My church met up for a "short bike ride" followed by a grill out. The choices were 10.1 or 15.1....well I opted to push myself and do the 15.1, even though I hadn't gone more than 8 miles, since we had 2 hours to do it. There were only four of us on the longer loop. We stuck to some of the local trails, and went on our way (The local trails here are awesome!). Well...we trekked! At times I was coasting to not blast ahead of everyone, other times I was struggling to keep up, and then we all just kind of went our own speed and stayed within about 100yards of each other. Ended up finishing the 15.1 miles in 1:10:49...I'm VERY happy with that! We averaged 12.7 mph. I'm so happy with this ride...I felt great while doing it, and now know I can push myself distance/time wise. So...hoping to get in three more long rides before I leave town!
  • kelleher42
    kelleher42 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Went for the longest ride I've done since the century+ last August. 35 total miles on the W&OD trail in Northern Virginia outside of Washington, DC, where I live. It's a nice route. Fair number of street crossings in the early bits, but some nice long stretches later on. Took about 2.5 hours of riding time. I was happy to discover that my somewhat haphazard attempts at keeping up my conditioning have paid off a bit. I got winded some here and there on a couple up hill sections, but nothing terrible, and I recovered pretty quickly. Never felt like my stomach was trying to revolt :wink: Was so nice to be out and rolling for a good stretch. This was the first of the "get time in the saddle" training rides for the century+ this August....
  • ojosazules09
    Options
    Oi..So I went on the closest things to hill today...and just about died...I need to start doing that route more so I can build up!

Distance: 9.63
    Time: 41:06
    Avg Speed: 14.1
    Max Speed: 29.6
    Calories: 558

Overall Good workout!
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Got up at 5am to do my normal ride. Had to fight a 15-20mph wind, but I ride a loop so the wind only gets me half of the time.

21 miles
    1:11:42
    17.6mph avg.