x- Ride Reports -x

Options

Replies

• jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    Decided to relieve the week's stress with a little pedal therapy today. Mapped out a 107-mile ride and loaded it to my Garmin. I am out-of-town for the weekend, so I'm not very familiar with the roads on my route. The first 33 miles were awesome - very little traffic and gentle rollers. I ran a 17mph average up to that point. Just a nice easy ride. Shortly after that, I found out that a road I put on my route was a dirt road. Since, it is nearly impossible to ride 23's on sandy soil, I had no choice but to turn around and hit a heavy-traffic U.S. Highway for about ten miles. Along the way, I kept trying to find other routes that ran parallel to the highway, but they all turned out to be dirt roads as well.

The highway was the most harrowing portion of any ride I've ever done. Cars would pass me without giving m the three-foot clearance. At one point, some jacka$$ buzzed me about six inches from my left leg. Reactively, I flipped him off. Hs response was to slam on his brakes and throw the car in reverse. Oh *kitten*! I rode off the road and into a ditch. Before I made it all the way to the ditch, he aimed his car at me (still going backwards) and tried to hit me. After swerving to miss him I made it to the ditch and knew that he would be unable to drive into the ravine. He didn't get out, but instead he drove off hastily. Needless to say, I was nervous until I made my way off that road. I finally made it to the beach highway and enjoyed 20 miles of icing along the coast. I stopped at an old haunt for a burger (a very rare consumption of red meat for me) and an ice old beer.

After I finished my ride along the coast, I turned north and made my way back to the hotel, but not until i found a Cold Stone Creamery for a nice waffle cone full of chocolate ice cream. I had to cut the ride short to 94.5 miles due to the onset of rain and the reduced visibility. All in all, it was a good ride. I don't really care for riding solo, but I made it through.
  • MTBRTW
    MTBRTW Posts: 56
    Options
    Goal of 3,000 miles for 2012 - 2011 4th Q = 712 miles

257 miles in January, goal 280-short but finished first Marathon so running took extra time
    01/10/12 - 14 miles MTB night ride on Miccosukee Greenway
    01/11/12 - 16 mies MTB Fern-Magnolia-Cadillac and back
    30 miles in February, goal 200, 17 days to go
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Decided to relieve the week's stress with a little pedal therapy today. Mapped out a 107-mile ride and loaded it to my Garmin. I am out-of-town for the weekend, so I'm not very familiar with the roads on my route. The first 33 miles were awesome - very little traffic and gentle rollers. I ran a 17mph average up to that point. Just a nice easy ride. Shortly after that, I found out that a road I put on my route was a dirt road. Since, it is nearly impossible to ride 23's on sandy soil, I had no choice but to turn around and hit a heavy-traffic U.S. Highway for about ten miles. Along the way, I kept trying to find other routes that ran parallel to the highway, but they all turned out to be dirt roads as well.

The highway was the most harrowing portion of any ride I've ever done. Cars would pass me without giving m the three-foot clearance. At one point, some jacka$$ buzzed me about six inches from my left leg. Reactively, I flipped him off. Hs response was to slam on his brakes and throw the car in reverse. Oh *kitten*! I rode off the road and into a ditch. Before I made it all the way to the ditch, he aimed his car at me (still going backwards) and tried to hit me. After swerving to miss him I made it to the ditch and knew that he would be unable to drive into the ravine. He didn't get out, but instead he drove off hastily. Needless to say, I was nervous until I made my way off that road. I finally made it to the beach highway and enjoyed 20 miles of icing along the coast. I stopped at an old haunt for a burger (a very rare consumption of red meat for me) and an ice old beer.

After I finished my ride along the coast, I turned north and made my way back to the hotel, but not until i found a Cold Stone Creamery for a nice waffle cone full of chocolate ice cream. I had to cut the ride short to 94.5 miles due to the onset of rain and the reduced visibility. All in all, it was a good ride. I don't really care for riding solo, but I made it through.

Great ride - looking forward to getting back into the 100s when the milder weather decides to turn up!
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Evans Ride It - Harewood

Started out 4.5C, would have liked it a lot warmer but it is still February. Had the choice of four distances, 17 / 30 / 50 / 70 miles. Had every intention of doing 50 but totally underestimated a) my fitness and b) how hard the hills in the Dales are. Completed 30 miles, 2hrs 27 minutes. Average 11.9 mph. Slow, but I have something to work on. I must get the road miles in and I must do hill repedats otherwise I will always be slow.

I have more sportives, the next one soon. Practice, practice and more practice.

Didn't get a lot of fun out of today but did learn a lot :-)
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My ride today....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152994604

Just getting started with cycling on my Trek 7.2FX WSD.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My ride yesterday... Poured with rain the entire time I was out! Wet through is an understatement!

Still fun though! :-)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/154717943
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I had two fantastic rides, 66 miles in total this weekend. The weather was absolutely beautiful on both days. On Sunday I just let the bike go wherever it wanted to go. At one point I had to ask a lady where I was lol :laugh:

The routes were both rolling, total climb 800m, average pace 13.4 mph. Nothing massive but thoroughly enjoyable. It gave me loads of time to take in the beautiful spring weather, take in the smell of freshly mown grass, passing people sat in the beer gardens of the pubs, people out walking dogs / cats whatever.

It was brilliant. However, I didn't take quite enough snacks and I drank all my juice a couple of miles from home. Lesson learned but it didn't hamper my spiritis in anyway whatsoever.

Hopefully the weather will be just as nice next weekend for the AFA Sportive from Huddersfield xx
  • chezmoss
    chezmoss Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tracey it sounds like you had a great weekend in the sunshine, taking in the scenery and exploring :-)

I managed 94 over the weekend my biggest mileage weekend for some time, thanks to the great spring weather.
    I raced on Saturday but we started in the rain….. it was at Ashbourne!
    Sunday we did 52 miles, ride time about 3 hrs. I went out with the clubrun and it felt tough with sore legs from Saturday. Undulating rural Warwickshire and it’s country cottages & pubs on the pond. We only stopped for puncture and a broken mudguard!

Between the two of us we sure are painting an idyllic picture of the beautiful countryside of England!
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I had the AFA Sportive yesterday, 60 miles in the beautiful North York Moors. Now for anyone who knows the area, the Moors may be beautiful but they are barren, dark, cold, nearly always windy, high up and in the open. You need an absolutely special day to make cycling there good.
    Anyway, we were up at 6am (on a Sunday!!!!) getting ready. The bikes were already disassembled and in the car, kit was out ready for wearing, all we really had to do was eat and drive. easier said than done when you're a nervous wreck. I ate half a bowl of cereal, managed to chuck a banana down my throat before setting off. We arrived in Malton an hour before set off, the OH likes to be early), it was cool and a wee bit breezy but a good day for cycling.
    There were only about 200 riders in all, most looked like they'd been riding for years, unlike me. I was scared stiff lol. Anyway I was in the first set off, I knew I'd be near the back when I finished so made the best of it. Anyways we set off, I seemed to calm down really quickly. We turned up near Castle Howard, the weather was good and there was plenty of good team spirit though it didn't take long for the team to dwindle to just me. The rolling roads were in pretty bad repair and had to dodge quite a few potholes but I just embrassed the day and pedalled along. I got a bit of a surprise when I hit Green Hill, a Cat 4 climb. At 17% it certainly made the legs work but to the top I pootled, the next to hit was the approach to Blakey Bank (Ridge). A steep climb before hiting the main road. What a nightmare. The clouds came down and the sun disappeared and all you could see for mile after mile was barren landscape scarred by burnt heather. The wind was gusting and freezing, at one point I couldn't even feel my toes, it was that chilly. I pedalled and pedalled and pedalled for what seemed like hours. Then the first reprieve, the one and only food stop, with hardly any food!!! They'd underestimated what 200 hungry cyclists can get through. It's a good job I had a few supplies in my pocket though I did manage to get a juice refil, then off again into the deep and dark moorland. A lovely right turn set us to the road to Rosedale. All downhill for ages and what bliss, with the exception that the roads were in a bad way. But I did really enjoy this part, whoop, whooping all the way like a big kid lol. Once in Rosedale the sun came out and it was stunning until you saw the sign that said 1:3 hill. I have never, ever seen a road like it. The ride to the bottom of the climb was hard enough but the Chimney is something else. I walked and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I watched grown men falling off their bikes, I'm obviously not as daft as them. As soon as I was able I was back on the bike, just in time for a picture moment, and boy was I smiling. After another whooping hill descent we were back in the Vale of York. And just when you thought it was all over we were faced with another Cat 4 climb, Amotherby Hill. By this time I was tired and the legs were wilting, I was hungry and chilly and needed to be home. There is a lovely feeling when you finally realise that you are near to the end and from somewhere deep down you get this sudden run of energy and I whizzed past a stationary police car and down the road to the end point.

All in all I had a great day, I was cold, I was hungry, the wind burned my face, my legs were hurting but I was smiling. 60 miles is a fair distance regardless of your abilities and it's the furthest for me this year. It was also my hardest ride this year but if you asked me at the end would I do it again, the answer would be a resounding yes. They just need to work on the food stop. Mind you I did get a crusty sandwic=h and half a scone and a medal when I finished. It was great and I'm still smiling.:laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Great report Tracey, and it sounds like a cracking day out... I think I'd have been on foot for half the ride looking at the profile... unless I fitted the long-cage XT mech. and the Dinnerplate cassette from the mountainbike of course...
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! It takes us going outside our comfort zone to see what we're really made of. Way to stick to your guns and to have enough sense to accept that you're not ready for some things, yet. Keep it up and you'll be killing that century marker soon enough!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Spring has sprung, bike has been cleaned & tuned in readiness and today the planets aligned so I got my first ride in of the year.
    Just a short *kitten*-hardening blast to blow the cobwebs away & it was brilliant.
    Headed to my local park but it was too busy to get a steady cadence so I braved the roads and the multiple attempts on my life by the drivers who were more fixated on the young women out walking than anything on the road.
    Did about 13 miles, in just over an hour, averaged about 12mph and can feel a real difference on the hills from last year, less weight to push up and stronger legs for the win!

Now, if only I had a carbon framed road bike, I'd get that average speed up......
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Now, if only I had a carbon framed road bike, I'd get that average speed up......

I think someone once said "It's not about the bike"... And while Carbon might be nice (in another 5 stone or so in my case) there's nothing wrong with Ti, Steel or Ally. :wink:
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I think someone once said "It's not about the bike"...

Sean Kelly, it's not6 about the bike, it's the motor lol x
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Nidderdale Sportive today. Was advertised as 60 miles with 1200m of climbing, turned out to be 65.56 miles and 1870m of climbing.
    The day started at 5 degrees and pea soup fog. Not ideal conditions to cycle in so we kitted up for cold weather. 10 miles in and the fog cleared the sun shine and temps hit 21degrees. Totally sweating buckets at the top of the first climb, Lofthouses. Nasty in parts, despicable in others!! The day didn't get any better, there are no flats areas in the Dales, you're either ascending or descending. Fastest time 35/6mph, avg 11mph, as you can see I can go down hills at a fare rate of knots. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the climbs. I really need to get some kahonas, and sharpish.
    Avg HR 137 which means that I wasn't trying. Legs ache but heart and lungs weren't put to much use. Got a silver medal but feel quite a fraud at the minute. I thought the ride was hard but my body didn't!!!!
    Need to practice more hills and get the heart rate up.
    Glad I got another ride in the bag but not overly happy at my performance.:frown:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    It's not all about the average HR though - if you're maxing out on the hills, but dropping back to 90-95bpm really quickly on the downhill sides (which is what you'd need to be doing to keep a half-reasonable Hr(Ave), then it's actually an indication that you're fitness is getting there. It's when you're still at 90% of Hr(Max) half a mile downhill that you need to worry about it...

There's some lovely roads and scenery up north of Harrogate - I spent 3-4 months working a short contract in Knaresborough a few years ago, and probably went for a ride 3-4 times a week after work - drive up to somewhere like Pately Bridge (usually the Watermill Pub :laugh:) and park up, then out for a loop along Gouthwaite Res. and over the tops to Masham and back via Kirby Malzeard...

Mind - I could climb a bit better back then - I was just off the back of 18 months in Italy, north of Milan - so all the stuff around Lake Como at my disposal - and it seemed that every Sunday club-run seemed to go over the Colle del Ghisallo for their weekly blessing!
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Gouthwaite Res is beautiful, we were round that area yesterday and Masham, Coverdale, Kettlewell, Grassington etc. Went down Park Rash, what an experience that was lol. They must be the tighest switchbacks ever lol. Definitely easier going down than going up.
    My HR does go down really quickly, as soon as I hit the summitI'm fine. I know I don't try hard enough though, especially on the hills and only doing hill repeats is going to make it easier. Any tips??? :drinker:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ...only doing hill repeats is going to make it easier. Any tips??? :drinker:

Yep - find a hill that's around 5-6% and around a mile long, ride up it as fast as you can. Sprint back down. Repeat ad nauseum.

It never gets easier. you just go faster.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Looks a fantastic route - wish I could get away for a few days and ride some of these routes.