Stage 1

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    cushygal, you rock! I'm beat after I finish my 2 sets.

Another nutrition question for you ladiesl. How on earth do you get the recommended amount of protein in? Last week I felt like my diet was pretty clean, but I also felt like I was eating as much as I possibly could to get 120 grams in. I am supposed to have 185. What's the trick? I feel full all the time.
    Also, I am supposed to get 1800 cals/day for non workout days(eating at a 300 cal deficit) and 2100 cals/day for workout days (deficit). I've just been eating 1800-1900/day regardless, but I'm wondering if I should up it a little more on workout days and stay at the 1800 for non-workout days. Thoughts?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hey cowgirl, I'd go up for your workout days. I've been noticing the people with the best results seem to follow the book's cal suggestions very closely.

As far as protein- I usually have 2 protein shakes a day. I picked a fairly clean protein.. no artifical sweeteners and minimal evaporated cane juice to sweeten. Short ingredient list. Because I'm a pescetarian who rarely eats fish, unless I'm downing them I don't really get anywhere near my protein goals. A few cups of spinach is 12 grams. Greek yogurt. Quinoa. And I drink dairy milk. Which... is iffy. I would love to make it down to Austin for raw milk, but it's been effing impossible.

If I ate meat, I would just pack chicken breast with me and eat it with everything. I'd also eat a lot of tuna if the mercury didn't scare the ****ens out of me. Or lean steaks. I also like the lightlife backyard grillin' burger which is seitan and soy mixed to make the most tasty fake burger ever. 20g of protein. GO ME.

I also just opt for 30% protein, minimum of a gram for every pound of lean mass I have. I don't do the gram for every lb, because I'd never get there. :)
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Did my final stage 1 workout A today and I am ready to move on. I love lifting but I get bored easily and I'm looking forward to some new exercises and challenges :happy:
  • nickm21
    Options
    Here are my workout A results

Squats- 26lb to 115lb
    Push ups- step+4 risers to foor!:noway:
    Seated row- 33lb to 88lb
    Step ups- 17.5lb total to 53lb total
    Prone jackknife- as written to full pike with roll out

I have enjoyed this so much and can't wait for stage 2 :drinker:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Squats- 26lb to 115lb
    Seated row- 33lb to 88lb

Woo! Hoo!! Congratulations on awesome numbers! :)
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congrats @TheFunBun for finishing stage 1!

@chubbycowgirl: I go with the lean mass suggestion - so based on my assumption that I have about 30% body fat (more or less) I try to eat at least 120g of protein every day - everything after that I consider a bonus. Definitely eat more on your workout days, I eat around 1800 on regular days and 2300 on workout days.

I only have two workouts in this stage left! Feels like it's gone by SOOOOO quickly. My friend is a week behind me so I might repeat the last two workouts, I'm not really interested in the AMRAPs. And then I might join a gym!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Hey cowgirl, I'd go up for your workout days. I've been noticing the people with the best results seem to follow the book's cal suggestions very closely.

As far as protein- I usually have 2 protein shakes a day. I picked a fairly clean protein.. no artifical sweeteners and minimal evaporated cane juice to sweeten. Short ingredient list. Because I'm a pescetarian who rarely eats fish, unless I'm downing them I don't really get anywhere near my protein goals. A few cups of spinach is 12 grams. Greek yogurt. Quinoa. And I drink dairy milk. Which... is iffy. I would love to make it down to Austin for raw milk, but it's been effing impossible.

If I ate meat, I would just pack chicken breast with me and eat it with everything. I'd also eat a lot of tuna if the mercury didn't scare the ****ens out of me. Or lean steaks. I also like the lightlife backyard grillin' burger which is seitan and soy mixed to make the most tasty fake burger ever. 20g of protein. GO ME.

I also just opt for 30% protein, minimum of a gram for every pound of lean mass I have. I don't do the gram for every lb, because I'd never get there. :)

Thanks, FunBun and ladyjoie! Gives me lots to think about. Just trying to see what works for me.

Congrats to those of you who are finishing stage 1! It inspires me when I see how much strength you've gained.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Squats- 26lb to 115lb
    Seated row- 33lb to 88lb

Wow - great results there, well done!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    4B today, got a few enforced days off due to travelling up north for a wedding, so decided to go hard today! Actually did decent lunges which made shifting gear on the way home interesting/painful! Got my deadlift up to just over 87lbs, can't wait to be in triple figures! Actually worked during my little cardio cool down too :laugh:
  • nickm21
    Options
    Did my last stage 1 B workout today. Feels great to finish this stage and move on to the next one.

Results were

Deadlift 27.5lb to 137.5lbs :noway:
    Shoulder press 13lb DB to 26lb DB
    Lat pull down 88lb to 110
    Lunge 13lb DB to 26lb DB
    Crunch BW to 26lb KB over head

Now for tons of cardio for a week, will do measurements before starting stage 2!
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Did my last stage 1 B workout today. Feels great to finish this stage and move on to the next one.

Results were

Deadlift 27.5lb to 137.5lbs :noway:
    Shoulder press 13lb DB to 26lb DB
    Lat pull down 88lb to 110
    Lunge 13lb DB to 26lb DB
    Crunch BW to 26lb KB over head

Now for tons of cardio for a week, will do measurements before starting stage 2!

BEAST. Man. That's awesome. So impressed! Vast improvements with everything. MAN OH MAN!
  • ladyjoie
    Options
    8A done! Definitely feel like my muscles are bigger. I went haaaaaaaaard today!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    OK heres the deets ladies!!
    Today: Stage 1B AMRAPS
    Deadlift - 65 lbs - 35 reps
    dumbbell shoulder press - 10 lbs 3o reps
    Wide lat pulldown - 75 lbs - 26 reps
    Lunge - 30lbs(2 15's) - 20 reps (1 rep includes both sides)
    Swiss crunches with body weight only - 63 reps.

Stage 1 is complete!!
    My Final progress for Stage 1

Workout A
    Squat - Start: 25lbs - End: 115lbs
    Push Up - Start: on knees - End: On weight bench
    Seated Row - Start: 75lbs - End: 105 lbs
    Step Up - Start: 20 lbs dumbbells(40 lbs) - End: 27.5 lbs dumbbells(55 lbs)
    Prone Jacknife - Start: Difficult and wobbly - End: Im a pro.

Workout B
    Deadlift -Start: 65lbs - End 115 lbs
    Dumbbell shoulder press - Start: 10lbs dumbbells - End: 15 lbs dumbbells
    Wide lat Pulldown - Start: 75 lbs - End: 90 lbs
    Lunge - Start: 15 lbs dumbbells(30 lbs) End: 20lbs dumbbells (40 lbs)
    Swiss crunches - Start: with body weight only - End: With 25lb plate

What did i learn from Stage 1?
    I love squats and deadlifts! :)

On to stage 2!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, thanks for sharing. You have encouraged me. I just started this program Thursday and the prone jack knife about killed me. I could not stay on the ball to save my life. I hope to be a "pro" soon too!
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question. I upped my weights today for my deadlifts. On each side of the bar I had 20kgs (44lbs) but I don't know how much the actual bar weighs. Any ideas - just approximately?
  • ladyjoie
    Options
    Finished! Will post results when I have them. Not as big an improvement as I've seen some people have, but we're all different. :)
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Ok, I have a question. I upped my weights today for my deadlifts. On each side of the bar I had 20kgs (44lbs) but I don't know how much the actual bar weighs. Any ideas - just approximately?

If it's an olympic bar (the one used in squat racks and bench press) it'll be 45lbs.. or whatever that is in kg Iamastupidamericansorry.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    mariepaul, I believe an olympic bar would be 20kgs. That's some major lifting you're doing!

I am doing 4A today and am planning on pushing myself a little more. I think I underestimate what I can do. Been a victim of the "Barbie" weights too long.
    My stats from workout 3 last week:
    Squats: 45lbs
    Seated rows: 80lbs
    Push-ups: a few real ones, the rest from the weight bench
    Step-ups: 40lbs(20 each hand)
    Prone Jackknife: These are getting easy and I'm actually starting to like them.

Deadlift: 85lbs
    Dumbell shoulder press: 17.5lbs
    Wide Lat Pull Down: 90lbs
    Lunges: 40lbs (20 in each hand)
    Swiss Ball crunches: 10lb plate

How many of you do cardio on your off days? I wasn't planning on it, but I've found I have more energy now. I'm just worried about how that will affect my calories? Do you eat back your exercise calories when you do cardio?
  • ladyjoie
    Options
    Right, here are my results!

A
    Squats - 17.5lbs to 47lbs (all front/goblet squats)
    Pushups - 45 degrees to 40 degrees (I injured myself the first day which meant I couldn't do these for the first three weeks!)
    Bent-over Row - 18.75lbs (total) to 54.25lbs (total)
    Step-ups - 17.5lbs 12" to 35.25lbs 15"
    Prone jackknife - 8 to 15 with improved form

B
    Deadlifts - 45lbs to 76lbs
    Shoulder press - 22lbs to 33lbs
    At home lats - 10lbs to 17lbs
    Lunges - BW to 35.25lbs
    Sprinter sit-ups - 8 to 15

If the weights look a little funny it's because I've converted from kilos. Doing an extra two workouts so my friend can catch up, don't think I've lost any inches or weight but I think I've put on a little bit of muscle, so here's hoping!
  • nickm21
    Options
    Right, here are my results!

A
    Squats - 17.5lbs to 47lbs (all front/goblet squats)
    Pushups - 45 degrees to 40 degrees (I injured myself the first day which meant I couldn't do these for the first three weeks!)
    Bent-over Row - 18.75lbs (total) to 54.25lbs (total)
    Step-ups - 17.5lbs 12" to 35.25lbs 15"
    Prone jackknife - 8 to 15 with improved form

B
    Deadlifts - 45lbs to 76lbs
    Shoulder press - 22lbs to 33lbs
    At home lats - 10lbs to 17lbs
    Lunges - BW to 35.25lbs
    Sprinter sit-ups - 8 to 15

If the weights look a little funny it's because I've converted from kilos. Doing an extra two workouts so my friend can catch up, don't think I've lost any inches or weight but I think I've put on a little bit of muscle, so here's hoping!

Great progress! I hadn't lost any weight with stage 1 either but I will re weigh after my rest week before stage 2, maybe some water weight will go

See you in stage 2!
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing that most people have higher weights for the deadlifts vs. squats and I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'm lifting 95 lbs. for squats (including the weight of the bar) but only 65 lbs for deadlifts (including bar weight) and I'm actually not sure how much more I can up that next time, if felt pretty heavy.
    How are you all doing your deadlift? You're bending your knees right? I tend to baby my lower back so maybe that's why I haven't progressed as much. Anyway, any advice/info would be helpful thank you!!