What Do You Think of the Rules?

Options
So. You've read the book, and maybe you've thought about applying some or all of them. Thoughts? Are they all great and do-able, or are there some you're unsure of?

The no carbs after lunch sounded like heresy. How could a normal person, especially someone who cooks for a family, do that? But two days in, I've loved it. My cravings for sugary goodies at night have completely died. My only concern is that I run lots and could maybe suffer from the lack of carbs in my system on my runs, which I have to do in the morning before my baby wakes and my husband goes to work. Today I was able to compensate by waking a little earlier to eat a carb-rich snack before my run, and that worked fine.

That brings me to another worry: as a runner, how can I eat a fiber-rich dinner and cut out all refined grains? THAT's a recipe for diarrhea in the middle of a long run (TMI? Sorry...)! So I have held back on the fiber to 25ish grams rather than 50 and allow myself white bread ONLY as a pre-run snack—already, that was something I'd been doing. So anyway. I am thinking these rules are fantastic, but maybe someone training for a half marathon would be wise rather than lazy to make some minor adjustments? I bet Bob would disagree. But oh well.

Replies

• joellejens
    Options
    I am really loving the skinny rules! It simple and straightforward, this is what you do if you really want to be skinny and stay that way!!! I find the food easy to prepare and I enjoy eating it. I have not been hungry, other than a little twinge of an empty stomach before bed. Giving up evening carbs was very difficult in the beginning, but worth it. I have a family and prepare them carbs (although not as much as they would like, trickle down effect), not finding that a real obstacle. Keep forgetting to drink my water before meals. And there is the occasional, whoops did I really just eat that:) But I have lost 4lbs and I am only one (far from perfect) week into it!
    I do find some frustrating recipe errors in the Kindle version I bought....1. The Stir fry recipe calorie information is off, saying it is 75cal when if calls for Cashews (160cals worth). 2. The recipes don't always tell you the serving size (assume its 1). 3. He should specify the oatmeal quantity is cooked or uncooked, (pretty sure it is cooked).
  • MandaAnn76
    MandaAnn76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I have not read the book but I do have it on order. I found a column on Bob Harper in the Costco Connection and the writer gave an overview of the Skinny Rules. I have enjoyed watching "The Biggest Loser," wishing I could have my own reveal.

I guess, I joined the group because I want to learn more. I know it works, I want to apply the Skinny Rules to me.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I think they're a great starting point, and the book is a great gift when people approach me with the, "how'd you do it?" convo.
  • skinny4baby2
    Options
    I don't know if it's just water fluctuation, but I did hop on the scale this morning and found I was one pound down after just two days. :) The rules are so straightforward. I haven't been doing his recipes as much as using the stuff I have around and making sure it follows his rules (I love wheat pasta, eggs, and ground turkey, so I'm doing lots of that as well as apples and smoothies loaded with berries). But it feels good, doesn't it? I am never HAPPY on a diet. What's going on? :)
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So I just ordered his book last week and I should get it Monday or Tuesday. I have the rules already and have incorporated most of them in my life style so far. I am very interested in seeing how this goes. The carb thing is also the biggie for me with a family. Is it all carbs or refined grains? I am looking forward to his recipes too as I have heard they are pretty tasty!

OK...so I couldn't wait....I went on amazon and canceled my order and got it on my Kindle instead! So now I'm off to reading!! :)
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Like any other recommendations in weight loss I find you have to make exceptions for your own body. Very common sense rules. I tend to listen to anything Bob has to say!
  • cmp3400
    cmp3400 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think the rules are really great! At the end of week #1 I did not do as great as I would have hoped at FOLLOWING the rules. Trying to jump back in starting today!
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love how I'm feeling lighter and more springy. and I love that the scale is moving steadily downward!
  • MrsVBos
    MrsVBos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book and have only read the rules section but have started cutting out carbs after lunch and drinking tons of water. I go to bed feeling a little hungry and have already noticed a 2 pound change on the scale. It is amazing how such little changes make me feel more energized and lighter!
  • alikatnz
    alikatnz Posts: 7
    Options
    I started reading the book a week ago and have finished part one and started putting them into practice straight away. Haven't managed to ditch the carbs after lunch, but am making a start nonetheless. I'm ignoring the meal plans etc in the other part of the book as all the weights etc are imperial not metric.

So far I've lost 1.4kg in a week since I started following The Skinny Rules. (That is 3lbs for the rest of you)

A lot of what he says is common sense though - and some of it a bit more interesting, like having a glass of water when getting up and going to bed hungry!
  • vlievers88
    Options
    I love the skinny rules! Drinking water before every meal really helps me cut back on overeating. Hoping to see big results soon!:happy:
  • JustineSane
    JustineSane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been following some basics from 2 basic plans, Eat Clean Diet - Tosca Reno, and a Roller Derby Workout Challenge. A lot of the rules in Skinny Rules follow the same basic principles of these other healthy eating plans, with minor variations. I love how easy to read the Skinny Rules is, and I love Bob. I used to eat white bread all by itself, and never imagined I could have ANY meal without bread. Now I rarely have it, and don't miss it. Some of the recipies are fantastic - I totally love the Turkey Meatballs - great afternoon snack with a piece of lettuce.

I have 3 questions if anyone knows the answer .....

1) one of the rules is protein at every meal, but Bob also lists vegetables that can be eaten anytime ......can veggies be eaten alone? or should a protein be paired with them?

2) I also found that he suggests 1200 calories a day for women, I tracked his meals for three days on MFP, and I followed to the letter, and one day added up to 1181, one day 1177, and one day 1391 ....?? Should I reduce portions to stay within 1200 calories?

3) On days when I have roller derby practice, or a game, I skate and sweat and fall and hit for up to 3 hours - I need to boost my post game snack and have protein, I know in the book he says a workout cannot compensate for overeating, but he doesn't really allow a bit of extra for hard core workout days now does he?

I am down over 75 pounds from my highest non-pregnancy weight, and have about 20 more to go to my goal, even though there is not a lot of "new" info in this book, I like the way he writes, and it is great for someone at the beginning of their weight loss/healthy eating journey to start cleaning up their eating habits. I find some of the references very American-specific, like this fascination and obsession with pop, but that is true of most eating plans.
  • Undomesticated
    Undomesticated Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @JustineSane Have you tried the electroMix powder he suggests to put in your water? That should help replenish what you lose in your workouts. It looks like he has a protein indicated at every meal and every snack. I don't remember him saying we can eat veggies anytime but we can eat as much of the safe listed ones he listed...but I only read the book once and this is day 2 for me (1 pound lost thus far...water weight I know but I'll take it :)) As for the calories...I wouldn't worry about getting precisely 1200 calories, just get as close as you can. This is how they supposedly eat on The Biggest Loser and they look like they work out all day long which is why I don't think he made a section just for people who work out hard.

My impression of the diet so far: A lot of people roll their eyes at the rules saying that the rules has not much new but I bet that if they got real with themselves and check off the rules at the end of the day that they would be surprised to see that they forgot to follow some. Then have the nerve to say the diet did not work. These rules are non-negotiable and that is what I like about this book. So many times on other diets I have "customized stuff" when I really needed to get real. Just because there are 20 rules does not mean it is too hard.

Good luck everyone! I'll keep posting my journey. I am liking this way of life so far. :)
  • julistehr
    julistehr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just joined and am excited to hear everyone's progress. It does seem simple enough. Not following the recipes exactly though. Hope that it doesn't have to be that strict! Sticking with the rules!
  • Undomesticated
    Options
    I don't have all the ingredients to stick with the meal plan 100% but I am sticking to the rules. I only switch up meals he has listed in that given week since it appears that he gradually adds more things such as nuts later on. Day 3 for me and my body gave me a signal that this is doing well for me. (Two months ago I got separated and moved out and the emotional toll made me not have a TOM). It arrived yesterday. Sorry if that is too much information but I wanted to let other knows that this way of eating seems, at least for me, to help balance out hormones.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
  • MandaAnn76
    MandaAnn76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 2!!! I dont have most of the ingredients either but I will be sticking to the rules until I go shopping for the proper foods. Yesterday, I bought apples for the first time in months and blueberries - first time purchase! YUM!!
  • Undomesticated
    Options
    I used to be fructose-phobic. I was on low carb for a very long time and berries was as daring as I was willing to go with fruit. Hello pink lady apples and maybe I'll have a banana soon. Whole new world now. Day 4 and I lost another pound! Woohoo!
  • journeyon2013
    journeyon2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the skinny rules , so far iv lost 33 lbs or more
  • journeyon2013
    journeyon2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The only problem I'm having is eating I have to make my self eat I hate it I have to do that but I know I got to jave the calories to burn and lose weight ! Hopefully it will be better
  • basket61
    basket61 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been using Skinny Rules about a month, I guess. And it's going well. I haven't totally given up diet soda and won't swear I'm completing all the water every day, but I'm much much better! :embarassed: And, it' s working, I'm dropping weight slow but steady, like I should.:smile:

I never thought tracking what I eat in fitnesspal (I started with the iphone app, but have trouble getting a good connection here at work, so I'm using the online site more--that's how I found this group!).

I love learning new recipes, and he has some great youtube videos on some of his easy, quick snacks---I liked the parfait and the oatmeal ones.

Hi, everyone!