BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2012

Options

Replies

• granyks
    granyks Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi! I am a binge eater. This latest binge is lasting way too long. I need some help. Through the years I have gotten some help from many sources. The one that worked was expensive counseling with doctor monitored blood tests & meal replacements and exercise. After stopping for two years, I am going through it again. But now I am retired and the money is just not there for this. So I am looking for a good self help book, and anything else to get back control or to manage it. I have had a lifetime of healthy eating and binge eating. I want a healthy relationship with food again. Not this binging overeating out of control thing. I am getting so big, and now I am taking 2 kinds of blood pressure medicine and cholesterol meds and the weight is affecting my arthritis.
    This is hurting me and I seem to have no control. My husband says just stop eating so much. I wish I could. I really wish I could.
    This fitness pal site seems to be a good place to start. Thanks for reading my rant.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: “If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.” ~Jack Dixon:flowerforyou:

That is so true, and precisely why dieting doesn't work for me. Dieting has me focusing on immediate results, not long term behavior changes.
    I know this mentally but it is hard for me to stop focusing on the results, so I am trying to pull back on focusing on the results and go back to once a week or no more that 2 days a week weigh ins. One of these days I am going to be like you and go to random weigh ins. I am so not there yet. As you know I struggle witth this one for sure!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hi! I am a binge eater. This latest binge is lasting way too long. I need some help. Through the years I have gotten some help from many sources. The one that worked was expensive counseling with doctor monitored blood tests & meal replacements and exercise. After stopping for two years, I am going through it again. But now I am retired and the money is just not there for this. So I am looking for a good self help book, and anything else to get back control or to manage it. I have had a lifetime of healthy eating and binge eating. I want a healthy relationship with food again. Not this binging overeating out of control thing. I am getting so big, and now I am taking 2 kinds of blood pressure medicine and cholesterol meds and the weight is affecting my arthritis.
    This is hurting me and I seem to have no control. My husband says just stop eating so much. I wish I could. I really wish I could.
    This fitness pal site seems to be a good place to start. Thanks for reading my rant.

Welcome for MFP and to BE Support Group!! It is too bad when people and especially love ones feel you just need to stop eating to lose weight. When you are a binge eater or have an addiction to food it is so much more than just stop eating.
  • pamelazee
    pamelazee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I got back on track logging on Saturday and haven't binged since then. So I will start counting from then (this time, agian :))
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Perhaps today's message is a Public Service Announcement - For those that do not already know, there is professional help available for people with BED. I did not know this for myself until 2010, although I have been seeing mental health professionals since I was age 9. It isn't a topic that was asked about, and since I didn't know I even had BED it surely wasn't something I brought up. The embarrassment of not being able to successfully lose weight wasn't a topic I'd jump right into. I didn't know this had anything to do with my mental health. It was uncomfortable enough to discuss it with my primary doctor.

I now often wonder why none of the mental health professionals along the way asked about my eating patterns. If we talked about weight, we would also talk about dieting - but as I now know that doesn't work for me. Why didn't anyone recognize the signs of my ED? I understand that the acceptance and knowledge of EDs has evolved quite a bit in the last 2 decades - but I'm bitter that not one of them caught it. And I've seen at least 2 dozen different people over the years!

Well, at least I know now - and can take the necessary steps to get better. :flowerforyou:

Diane :heart:
  • catjbaker
    catjbaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2nd Day - Binge Free! My goal is 21 days in a row. It's been so long since I've lasted more than 5 work week days. Weekends are the toughest for me. Still trying.........Gained back my 6-8 pounds that I have been trying to lose since Nov 2011. Ugh! Trying to stay positive.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Below is a good email article I received from WW with some good reminders and I feel some are very applicable to binging and others are not. I hope some of you find them helpful reminders! Have a good day!

12 Ways to Stop Overeating
    Here are 12 tips to help you regain control of your eating habits.
    Article By: Megan Gressor

You've done it by the book for a while. Watched your diet, made healthy choices, exercised every day. Then suddenly you're undoing all your hard work by saying, "I might as well give up. I'll never lose weight!"

"All-or-nothing" thinking doesn't help. People who overeat often feel out of control and disgusted with themselves. It becomes a vicious cycle, leading to low self-esteem and even more eating.

To regain control of your eating habits, ask yourself why you overeat. Is it your way of coping with stressful events? Has gorging on "forbidden" treats become a substitute for other pleasures lacking in your life? Do you use food to soothe, distract or reward yourself?

Breaking It Down
    Once you've identified trigger factors, work out other ways to address them. Don't beat yourself up with every little lapse. Instead, focus on positive things you can do to replace or avoid overeating. Pay attention to how you feel when you eat certain foods; you'll start to notice patterns emerging (eating after a family argument, for example, or when you're bored, lonely or disappointed). Consider alternative ways to lift your mood when the urge threatens. Perhaps call a friend, go for a walk or see a movie.

Breaking the Habit
    Here are some tips for winning the battle:

1.Take it slow. Crash dieting is more likely to end in losing control than a slow, steady loss of a pound or two each week.

2.Don't cheat yourself! Eat a sensible amount of food each day.

3.Allow occasional treats. If you don't totally cut out "forbidden" foods (such as those donuts that you love), you're more likely to stay on track, because deprivation often leads to overeating. Opt for low-fat versions of favorite foods.

4.Reward yourself for every win — how about a bath or a walk just to enjoy a sunset rather than a reward consisting of junk food.

5.Plan ahead to stay in control. Facing a big test or other ordeal that you fear will send you straight to the cookie jar? Try to keep healthy snacks around to nibble on instead, and exercise to offset your munching — and calm you down, too!

6.Share your feelings — sad, bad or otherwise — with family or friends.

7.Seek support from others trying to lose weight — family, friends or online buddies. They're there to help, and want to see you succeed.

8.Look to calming alternatives if stress is your trigger. Anything from deep breathing to yoga to arts and crafts could help. And don't forget: Exercise is a great tranquillizer. (It also reduces your appetite!)

9.Count to ten. Is overeating your way of coping with anger? Consider other ways of dealing with negative emotions, such as learning assertiveness techniques.

10.Find other ways to fill the void. If you typically overeat when you're looking for emotional nourishment; stop. Feed your spirit by caring for yourself as well as you can during times when you feel unloved, under-appreciated or unworthy. Be your own biggest fan and try to focus on your successes, not to the occasional lapse.

11.Be patient and forgiving of yourself. Long-established complex habits won't change overnight.

12.Avoid all-or-nothing thinking, such as "I've already blown my weight loss plan, I might as well finish off the box." Accept that you may go off the rails from time to time. So you've lost six pounds and regained three? It's important to congratulate yourself for the pounds that you lost. You're doing a great job!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Perhaps today's message is a Public Service Announcement - For those that do not already know, there is professional help available for people with BED. I did not know this for myself until 2010, although I have been seeing mental health professionals since I was age 9. It isn't a topic that was asked about, and since I didn't know I even had BED it surely wasn't something I brought up. The embarrassment of not being able to successfully lose weight wasn't a topic I'd jump right into. I didn't know this had anything to do with my mental health. It was uncomfortable enough to discuss it with my primary doctor.

I now often wonder why none of the mental health professionals along the way asked about my eating patterns. If we talked about weight, we would also talk about dieting - but as I now know that doesn't work for me. Why didn't anyone recognize the signs of my ED? I understand that the acceptance and knowledge of EDs has evolved quite a bit in the last 2 decades - but I'm bitter that not one of them caught it. And I've seen at least 2 dozen different people over the years!

Well, at least I know now - and can take the necessary steps to get better. :flowerforyou:

Diane,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Hopefully you will let the resentment go. I feel there are many primary care doctors who are not even aware of binging as a disorder and the professional help that is out there. Many doctors still believe it is as black and white as to just stop eating so much. Which is what pisses me off because if it were that easy I would not be obese.

Doctors did not give obesity the same alarms as they do to other eating disorders that cause people to die sooner than obesity does.

Now I believe people including doctors are looking seriously at it because of the epidemic of obesity. When we were younger obesity was not at the levels it is at today. I know for me I was the only one in the class who was obese. Nowadays you have over 10 children in some classes who are obese.

Thanks again for sharing all of you knowledge with group and I would like to add that there is a lot of good information on binge eating in the library. Wonderful books that are very helpful at defining binge eater.

Happy hump day all and take it one day at a time! :flowerforyou:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    All 12 are fabulous tips!

The all or nothing thinking is one reason it is so difficult to continue to recover from an ED. There will be lapses. This is a normal part of the healing process. It's annoying. It's frustrating. It's discouraging. It makes you want to give up. How can we be so strong one day or a whole month, and so out of control the next? But I have not met one person who was able to discontinue their ED behavior indefinitely from the very first day they set out to recover.

We are battling with our own minds. We are mentally ill. That is a big gulp to swallow. Especially if being "mentally ill" isn't accepted in your family, or community, or religion - or by yourself. Society as a whole doesn't really understand what it means to be mentally ill and I think most people who don't know much about it are afraid of that terminology. It is the unknown. The media has depicted the mentally ill in a much more negative, non-controlled, humiliating manner - and IMO it hasn't been very accurate in general. I hope this continues to improve.

Luckily for me, my mother understood mental illness. She struggles with it herself. She recognized symptoms of it in my behavior as a young child and took me to a psychologist. Mental illness, aside from the ED, is something I've struggled with a long time, and have been on medication for since a teenager. But even after years and years of practice, it isn't an easy thing to talk about with someone who doesn't understand.

We understand.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    But I have not met one person who was able to discontinue their ED behavior indefinitely from the very first day they set out to recover.
    Same here. :ohwell: and that is why we should not be hard on ourselves when we lapse. I truly believe we can only manage ED behaviors. Recovery is relative and we will always need to manage the behaviors.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    We are battling with our own minds. We are mentally ill. That is a big gulp to swallow. Especially if being "mentally ill" isn't accepted in your family, or community, or religion - or by yourself. Society as a whole doesn't really understand what it means to be mentally ill and I think most people who don't know much about it are afraid of that terminology. It is the unknown. The media has depicted the mentally ill in a much more negative, non-controlled, humiliating manner - and IMO it hasn't been very accurate in general. I hope this continues to improve.
    So very true!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options

Thanks again for sharing all of you knowledge with group and I would like to add that there is a lot of good information on binge eating in the library. Wonderful books that are very helpful at defining binge eater.

Agreed! I should really make a list. I've read a ton of self-help books on ED. I will work on that.

Check out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560673-books-that-help-overcome-binge-eating
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Thanks Diane!! That is a good thread! I have not read as many as you but when I was your age and on the bus in my middle to late twenties I had more time to read. Now I just don't have time to read when I am done reading and study for my ministry.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    "Change is not a bolt of lightning that arrives with a zap. It is a bridge built brick by brick, every day, with sweat and humility and slips. It is hard work, and slow work, but it can be thrilling to watch it take shape." — Sarah Hepola
  • JamesterCK
    JamesterCK Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I honestly just feel great that I have a name for what I've struggled with since I was a child. I always thought I was alone and just addicted to food. It's good to know there are other people who understand what it's like. Right now I'm just scared a binge session is going to ruin my progress and positive attitude. It's been about 7 days since I last binged (before I got serious on MFP!) and I feel extremely confident now, but I know that could change in the blink of an eye. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I confessed to my family that I'm a binger as soon as I realized that's what I was, so even though they might not completely understand it, I can at least talk to them about it. I'm glad to have this huge support system as well!
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So last year I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and my weight keeps fluctuating very drastically. I work out like crazy and love yoga, spinning, kickboxing etc. However, all of the sweat and hard work is in vain; every calorie burned off is negated by my daily, sometimes bi-daily, binge sessions. I need help, and although my family members try to assist whenever they can there's only so much they can do. Hopefully MFP will keep me honest and help me overcome this. I just want to feel good about myself again.

Thanks for reading, and I will be on this thread constantly :wink:

Sincerely,

-Never full
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome Never full!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So last year I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and my weight keeps fluctuating very drastically. I work out like crazy and love yoga, spinning, kickboxing etc. However, all of the sweat and hard work is in vain; every calorie burned off is negated by my daily, sometimes bi-daily, binge sessions. I need help, and although my family members try to assist whenever they can there's only so much they can do. Hopefully MFP will keep me honest and help me overcome this. I just want to feel good about myself again.

Thanks for reading, and I will be on this thread constantly :wink:

Sincerely,

-Never full

Glad you found us. It sounds like you are really headed in a good direction. The support group I have made here on MFP is a major part of my recovery from BED.
  • mrsbrownsfan
    mrsbrownsfan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is going back to the last page of posts, but I wanted to comment on the idea of logging every day, even the ones that involve binge eating. I never log on my "bad" days, although I know I should, and I am planning to do that now. I have had two days without binge eating and also without restricting (I was on a roller coaster for a little while there), and when I saw my therapist yesterday, we talked a lot about other coping mechanisms. Some of them felt very simplistic to me, but they are tried and tested, and they do work for many people.

The main ones that we focused on were distraction, delaying, and use of a coping phrase. Distraction basically just means doing something else when the urge to binge hits. I made a list of some things I could do (a sudoku puzzle, an online game, reading a crossword, checking my email, watching a TV show, etc.) if I became aware of an urge to binge. Delaying means setting a timer for ten minutes whenever you feel a binge coming on and waiting that amount of time before giving in to it. This is to practice being more mindful. At that point, even if you give in to the binge, you are doing it mindfully. And as for the coping phrase, there were some suggestions, but I think that the one that best sums it up for me is, "Food is not a replacement for feeling." My overeating is 100% tied to my lack of tools to recognize and process emotion, and the fact that I am wading through the ending of my marriage right now is what has brought my ED issues to the forefront for me.

I have to say that I feel ready now to reach for recovery, which I did not feel prior to this session with my therapist. I was very dug into the alternating binge eating and restricting cycle, and I could not see beyond that..
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really think you're taking all of the right steps to recovery. I saw a therapist and nutritionist as well and neither one gave me very helpful techniques. I think being honest on this site will be my best bet. Although we may all be ashamed of how much we eat during a binge, when I log it (as much as I don't want to) I can see the reality of my binges quantified, which scares me into eating better on the next meal.

Also regarding bingeing and restricting, I deal with the same thing! It's funny because I looked at my "reports" on this site from the past week and see that whenever I binge one day my net calories are negative the next day...then I binge the following day etc. My goal is to have a steady amount of net calories consumed everyday..even if I feel like I should restrict myself after a binge sesh.

We can do this :)
This discussion has been closed.