Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Okay! I have been eating at 1260ish cal or about a year. The first few months dropped almost 20 lbs....then nothing....for 7 months..... I swear I have tried everything! Saw the EM2WL group and joined, upped my calories because it made sense to me and I was hungry :smile: 6 weeks ago I upped to 1800 (TDEE-15%) and still no progress (no gain or loss). So, I'm baffled and a bit frustrated. I keep hearing so many conflicting ideas... and I'm going crazy. So, I think this reset may be the answer for me, but honestly, I don't trust myself!! So, someone needs to just tell me what to try next!! LOL!! So, I'm asking all of you good ladies, from the sounds of my situation is a reset for me or do I give it more time or adjust calories more??? *Sigh* I'm thinking a new car sounds nice though ;)

~Jamie

Honestly, when I got started with the eating more thing, I sure didn't know about reset. I learned about TDEE and eating cut. Knowing what I know now, I sure would have done that first. I am close to goal and eating TDEE so I guess I am resetting because I have never done one.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm in. I was going to do a diet break starting next week but with all of those starting now and the support I know that will be available, I am going to start today. I am officially at week 11 of em2wl as of today. I have lost inches but not any pounds. However, in the 11 weeks of this journey, I have begun to know my body's needs so much better and I realized that this is what it needs right now.

I am going to commit in two week increments.

As I said in a thread yesterday, I think I was in a bit of denial of how much damage I had done to my body.

In early high school I began going for days without eating just to see if I could get away with it (control issues with my mom). I was 5' 7" and 106#. After high school, marriage and kids my weight has gone up and down 20-30#. However, each time it went down it was because I would do very restrictive diets as well as purging. Very unhealthy to say the least.

In my late 30s I was refused to get on the purging cycle again so I had a small victory in the fact that I let myself gain 30#. I know that sounds weird, but mentally it was a victory. As I approached 40 I knew I had to lose weight but determined that I had to do it in a healthy way (without the purging). I lost 33# on ww without any exercise, getting down to 130#, and kept it off for a year. (I now realize that the ww diet was not healthy or sustainable.) Eventually though, I had put back on 30# (I am now 43).

At Christmas time, my mom, who is 64, fell and broke an ankle and a wrist. She was so feeble and helpless and I know it is because she is inactive. I determined that this time I needed to not only lose weight, but be strong and fit as well.

In January I picked up a free elliptical off of Craig's list and began to workout again 5-6 days a week and quickly lost 10# but stopped there. That 10# hadn't been there long....mostly it was the holiday pounds so I think they would have come off anyway as soon as the holiday treats were no longer around. ;)

I began mfp in early March to lose the 20# that I still needed to, giving a short go at the 1200 calories again, but soon my body was crying out for energy. I began a search on eating more and found this group. I began eating more on 3/20/12. That was a HUGE leap for me because my son's wedding was just three weeks from then, but I knew that for the long haul that I needed to do this.

I had been eating 1900, but as of today I am going to 2200.
    SW 160#
    CW 150#
    GW 130#
    Age 43
    Ht 5'7"
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Okay...Here goes...

HT: 5'2"
    SW: 169 (on Jan 23, 2012)
    CW: 163lbs -Got down to 159 on May 5th but next day was 163 and have been holding steady)
    GW: 130 or so...Depends on how I feel

Calories per/day when I first started were set at 1200 b/c that is what MFP set them as....I realize now that I was eating less then 1000/day including exercise (I knew nothing about BMR or eating back exercise calories.

My exercise used to be on schedule - Lifting 3x/week and some cardio 2x/week....Now my son is out of school for summer so I am still lifting at least 2x/week but walking and going to the playground with my son (and actually climbing, sliding, etc. with him - I never knew how much fun that would be) and we go to the zoo on occasion and I walk for hours...So, I have my exercise set to moderate - which is what I had it at before as well.

*Was told by Dan on here to eat 1559 cals/day around April 1st (before I knew about EM2WL) I did this for less than 2 wks b/c I didn't understand the concept YET..I wish I had stayed with what he told me now (Don't you hate that??) Actually lost a little weight that week...1.4lbs but by the next week I went back down to 1400/day - I was still losing - 0.6lbs that week...On April 25th I upped them again to 1500/day and went back down less than a week later to 1400/day again...Finally on May 5th I had reached the 10lbs lost mark....YAY!! Well, the next day I was right back up to 163lbs again (+4lbs)...I upped my cals again to 1600/day on May 6th....Finally I spoke with Lucia on here (who is great btw) and asked her if I should move up to 1800 slowly from 1600 or just do it....She said if it were her, she would just up them right away...I upped them on May 17th to 1800 cals/day and have been TRYING to get my calories in each day....I am still holding steady at 163 give or take a few ounces either way....I am FINALLY trying to stick with one goal consistently b/c all of the calorie upping and lowering has not done much...Now I am trying to figure out if I should go up to TDEE of 2029 (2000) for a while now??? I am so scared to up it AGAIN!! But like I said I have not lost or gained since upping my calories which tells me my body likes all of this food....So, my question to all of you doing the reset...Does it sound like I need to up my cals again to 2000 and keep it there for at least 4wks....This is so hard for me to be consistent but I am going to definitely need some help with this one....

Sorry my story was so long but I wanted to show you how inconsistent I am with routine....Thanks to all of you in advance for any advice... :)
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I,m kind of hoping my recent 20 lb weight gain served as a matabolism rest. But I am taking a plunge eating around 2000 cal with heavy exercise for the first time in 14 yrs. Usually stick around 1500 or 1700 with heavy exercise and weekend binges, those have to go.
    It is nerve wracking. I just want to lose this weight and reveal my muscle.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I seriously need some support.

I don't really know what I want my GW to be, because I'm not overweight.

I lost about 40lbs four years ago by sticking to a strict 1200 calorie diet even though I was in kickboxing classes and on the elliptical almost constantly.

I finally started eating like a "normal human being" last week. This weekend I've been incredibly active (I usually am). Ran 4 miles, biked 30 miles, lots of walking and running/jumping at the beach playing frisbee. I've been eating just above my BMR. On the days that I ran and biked, I ate about 1800-1900 calories. On the day I was sedentary, about 1550 calories.

I feel sluggish, my stomach has noticeably puffed out and swollen, and I've gained 2-3lbs on the scale.

I realize how badly I damaged my metabolism when I went so long eating 1200 calories, but I feel so incredibly awful when I eat as much as I probably should. I use a FitBit and heart rate monitor so I have a really good idea of what my TDEE is.

BMR: 1450
    TDEE: 2100 normally (1700 if sedentary, but I am using 1700 and eating exercise calories back because my TDEE varies a lot)
    Cut at 15%: 1785
    Activity: I'm training for a 5K and so I run 3-4 days a week. Boxing usually 2 days a week. I am not doing weight training at the moment but boxing incorporates a lot of lunges, squats, pushups, crunches, and muscular resistance (hitting a bag).
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am in.. I started this a week ago and gained like 5lbs got scared and started eating at my cut. But i think I just need some support.

I am 37 5ft 6
    My weight today was 183.6
    My Goal is 145

I workout 6 days a week 5 days of weights one cardio and one rest.
    I also do alot of yard work and try to be pretty active so I used 5-6 strenuous on the scooby website which gave me

BMR 1581
    TDEE 2728
    CUT at 15% 2318

I am gonna try to stay on the reset for 8 weeks. I also plan to get a fitbit to see if 2728 is accurate. I assume I would do this by keeping track of my daily burn for a week and dividing that by 7 to get my daily TDEE??

Feel free to add me so we can help each other stay on track.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I started my TDEE experiment on 5/23, so I am about 1 week in. I am still adjusting to hitting those calories on leaner and cleaner things, but since I plan to do this until August 1, I have time to tweak and learn. Very much enjoying it so far!
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm in start date may 28
    Terrified but am going to try it

Cw134.8
    Gw 130
    27 yo
    5'2 1/2"

Exercise circuit train with weights 3 days. Cardio 2-3 days
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I did my NET graph over the last 90 days, (Reports, then Nutrition, then Net) and realized that only 23 out of the last 90 days did I actually NET 2400 which is my Cut value. And those days generally were Rest days where I didnt work out. Every other day in that period, I Netted between 1800-2100, which is still above my BMR of 1800, but obviously not enough. I go back and forth on whether I am at the right activity level, but Im certain I am moderate with 3 days Lifting for 45 mins and 2 days cardio, usually 45 min 5k runs or a 60 min step class.
    So I will continue with this first week at eat TDEE which is 2800 for me. after a week I will reevaluate. (I think its easier for me to take it a week at a time rather than commit to 8 weeks off the bat.

Im scared sh!tless of gaining even more weight since it took me so friggin long to even get 20 pounds off, but I need something to work. I cannot take this any longer. I am fighting the urge big time to drop back down to 1500 cals and get a quick 20 pounds off again, but I know that will not help my cause.

Sigh.. so, here I am..
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ok....I am at almost 8 weeks of eating at TDEE and I am just maintaining. I am not losing anything. So, what do I do next? Do I lower them again? I don't want to mess everything up! Help!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Ok....I am at almost 8 weeks of eating at TDEE and I am just maintaining. I am not losing anything. So, what do I do next? Do I lower them again? I don't want to mess everything up! Help!

If you have been eating at maintenance (TDEE w/no cut) for 8 weeks, you can now safely drop your calories down to TDEE -15% and start eating that every day. Then, every 6 weeks or so (depends on how lean you are), take a diet break and go back up to maintenance calories for one or two weeks, then drop back down to your 15% cut again. Repeat as necessary!
  • jyska
    Options
    Ok, so I did my NET graph over the last 90 days, (Reports, then Nutrition, then Net) and realized that only 23 out of the last 90 days did I actually NET 2400 which is my Cut value. And those days generally were Rest days where I didnt work out. Every other day in that period, I Netted between 1800-2100, which is still above my BMR of 1800, but obviously not enough. I go back and forth on whether I am at the right activity level, but Im certain I am moderate with 3 days Lifting for 45 mins and 2 days cardio, usually 45 min 5k runs or a 60 min step class.
    So I will continue with this first week at eat TDEE which is 2800 for me. after a week I will reevaluate. (I think its easier for me to take it a week at a time rather than commit to 8 weeks off the bat.

Im scared sh!tless of gaining even more weight since it took me so friggin long to even get 20 pounds off, but I need something to work. I cannot take this any longer. I am fighting the urge big time to drop back down to 1500 cals and get a quick 20 pounds off again, but I know that will not help my cause.

Sigh.. so, here I am..

I'm confused....were you trying to NET your cut goal even after exercise before? The only concern with NET that you should have had is that it always a bigger number than your BMR. So just to clarify what you should be doing at this point is:

1. Your Goal should be your tdee number for the next 8 weeks.
    2. Your total food calories should be close to your Goal number (unless you have to eat back calories to get your NET number above BMR, then it would be higher)
    3. Your Net number should always be higher than your BMR you figured out with the calculators. Only a high burn day will make this number drop too low so you can usually just ignore it.
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I am debating doing the reset also..kinda nervous bc I was doing TDEE minus 15% and I gained 3.5 pounds :ohwell: I am still lost on how i should put my activity level..I just stared insanity and will be doing that 6 days a week and i also weight train for about 30-45 mins 5 days a week. I am a stay at home mom of 4 kids (6,5,3 and 1.5) so i am on my feet most the day but i also have my really lazy days lol..would i be moderate?
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    PS...... Do we continue exercising as normal??
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I just realized bikini season is a few weeks away, I don't know if it is a good time for me to eat at tdee to do the whole metabolism reset now >_<
  • jyska
    Options
    I seriously need some support.

I don't really know what I want my GW to be, because I'm not overweight.

I lost about 40lbs four years ago by sticking to a strict 1200 calorie diet even though I was in kickboxing classes and on the elliptical almost constantly.

I finally started eating like a "normal human being" last week. This weekend I've been incredibly active (I usually am). Ran 4 miles, biked 30 miles, lots of walking and running/jumping at the beach playing frisbee. I've been eating just above my BMR. On the days that I ran and biked, I ate about 1800-1900 calories. On the day I was sedentary, about 1550 calories.

I feel sluggish, my stomach has noticeably puffed out and swollen, and I've gained 2-3lbs on the scale.

I realize how badly I damaged my metabolism when I went so long eating 1200 calories, but I feel so incredibly awful when I eat as much as I probably should. I use a FitBit and heart rate monitor so I have a really good idea of what my TDEE is.

BMR: 1450
    TDEE: 2100 normally (1700 if sedentary, but I am using 1700 and eating exercise calories back because my TDEE varies a lot)
    Cut at 15%: 1785
    Activity: I'm training for a 5K and so I run 3-4 days a week. Boxing usually 2 days a week. I am not doing weight training at the moment but boxing incorporates a lot of lunges, squats, pushups, crunches, and muscular resistance (hitting a bag).

So, from what I can gather, your main goal is to repair your metabolism, right? If so, then your best friend here is going to be consistency (as it is for all of us). The range of calorie burn you have is actually quite normal as many of us exercise hard several days a week and then take rest days. You really need to average out that TDEE for the week ( you can total 7 days of your fit bit/hrm tdee numbers and divide by 7 to get that number or use this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). That calculator goes by hours/week that you workout and is more accurate and easier to use I find than the ones that use the day method.

Once you have your TDEE, then you need to set that as your daily goal and eat that much every day. Even if you don't exercise for that day and your burn is low. The reason for that is because you are AVERAGING your burn for the week so that you can give your body a consistent amount of calories every day so it can start to trust you that you will feed it properly. The only time you have to worry about eating back exercise calories is if your NET total number is lower than your BMR at the end of the day. Then, you'd need to eat a few extra calories to get your NET back over your BMR number. Make sense?

When you reset your metabolism, it is very normal to experience weight gain, water retention, etc. Make sure you read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience so that you understand what to expect.

After you have eaten at TDEE for 8 weeks, you can drop to your 15% deficit for a while to get rid of any weight you may have gained.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry let me clarify, I've been eating at my cut for the past 6-8 weeks and only maintaining.
  • jyska
    Options
    I'm sorry let me clarify, I've been eating at my cut for the past 6-8 weeks and only maintaining.

If you've been eating at cut for 8 weeks and maintaining, then I would suggest that you up to TDEE for 8 weeks, then drop back down to your cut value after that. That is what the reset is...getting your body used to maintenance cals so that it will set it's metabolism at that level and then when you cut it will recognize the deficit and start dropping pounds (or inches).
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am starting this today!
    I have eaten under 1200 calories, then binging on weekends, since at least high school (11 years ago). I found this group in the beginning of March and upped my calories to 1400, 1600 and 1800, each lasting alomost a month. My weight starting was around 129, and I am up to 132/133 depending on the day, with my goal being 125. My weight increased slowly and has been sticking around the same for the last 2 weeks. I do not want 1800 to be my maintence! I put myslef in the moderate category. I will try to stick with this for at least 4 weeks, 8 weeks sounds depressing when I am soooo close! :ohwell:

5'4
    132 lbs
    Moderate
    TDEE = 2150
    -15% = 1800

More food here I come! I need friends with similar stats so I can stalk your diary!!!:laugh:
  • jyska
    Options
    PS...... Do we continue exercising as normal??

Yes, continue your exercise as normal. When you calculated your TDEE it was WITH exercise, so make sure you do what you calculated in. :smile: