Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Anne, have you looked into J.C. Penney or Home Depot or Lowe’s? You might be surprised. And find something interesting concerning your curtains. Amazon has scads of things like that. It takes hours as you plow through it all but if you are in the mood, and have a good strong mug of tea at hand, it can be fun. Just a thought. Also Pottery Barn, and a company called Drapes for less.

I am cheating and fixing John sliced Turkey and premade gravy from a bottle and frozen green beans. I know this is a nasty Monday dinner, but I am tired. Laundry and still putting away the laundry, cleaned two bathrooms. It is rainy and cold. I am a grump today. I will enjoy vegging in front of the TV tonight.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions PATSY. I've tried one or two but not J.C. Penney. I'll give them a shot later. Hope today is a better day for you! We've got rain again all day.
    Anne.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Found something I quite like PATSY. Natural linen with a muted sort of contemporary white twig design. I've sent a photo to my into design DIL and see what she thinks before I show. Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,067 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) My company has left and Lisa said to stay home and rest so I am catching up on laundry.
    We had a wonderful time and played games every night and also watched the current season of The Curse of Oak Island, which we love. Oak Island is Chester, Canada, so have you heard of it Anne?
    Joe has moved and has called me to go his place for lunch but he forgot I had company. I have to check with his son to make sure they approve before going there.
    We went to a forest preserve yesterday to look for geocaches (found two) and when we were playing Settlers of Catan Bryanna felt something behind her ear so she brushed it off and freaked out because she felt legs. We couldn't find it and a little while later Laurie felt something on her arm and it was the same bug. I scooped it up in a Kleenex and took a picture before flushing it down the toilet. So we think it was a tick, are we right?
    qlsdnu0dvu4h.jpg
    Bryanna's mom is checking with a doctor where she works to see if she should get checked. We don't think it bit her but she was really scared of limes disease. She is feeling fine today but will see what the doctor says.
    Glad to be able to stay home today, I need to recharge. lol

Annsie, I can't wait to see all the pictures of everyone's updated decorating. Also can't wait to see who moves in next door to you. Do you mean Harry has returned?

Patsy, some days you have to make dinner easy, I am sure John liked it. I plan on vegging in front of the TV today as well. Although I do have to ride my bike as I gained two pounds with eating extra food these last few days.

Lin, whenever I have a mistake or an extra item Walmart just tells me to keep it. So far I haven't been over charged but I am sure your store will credit it back on your card. Talk about pollen, the kiddos and Lisa are having allergy reactions. All are stuffed up and sneezing.

Jackie, I really feel your pain with construction, been there and done that and it is not fun. How much longer do they have to go? Hang in there and keep it at one day at a time.

Bob, so sorry about your furnace and hope you found someone to replace the old one.

Hello to Barbie and Connie and anyone who reads this. Time to eat breakfast and take a shower.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Silver Sneakers – Won’t waste time re-hashing the weekend events…but I was correct and a new furnace is not only required…the company will be here at any time this afternoon. One of those expenses you hate, but on a positive note it isn’t mid-winter and we haven’t been freezing to death.

artknbe1lsa8.jpg

OMG Anne – Your post was the first I glanced at…go figure we have the same outlook that a dead of winter failure would have been so much worse…and I can’t even imagine your “restful death bed slumber.”

Not going to look at BBC for sure… I don’t want to know who H is…. I know what you mean about modern designers, Jean won me over 25 yrs ago to a country style (although I still love a southwestern look that Jean isn’t crazy about). I don’t “hate” all modern, but some can seem so sterile and we both prefer a comfy home where you can put your feet up and relax.

Lin – Thanks for the furnace condolences. We look forward to todays “delivery” and it didn’t take 9 months. Actually, we were shocked they could install immediately. We made the decision quickly. They have a solid reputation and while I might have saved $200. Going elsewhere – they know there stuff and noted the existing hook-up was illegal and unsafe. We had it serviced by another company 2 yrs ago when a new hot water tank was put in and they said all was fine. So I guess it was meant to be.

Nice teapot! Sorry about all those out of stock items…what a pain! The weather here isn’t horrible, but it is a mix of sporadic rain, clouds and occasional sunshine.

Jackie – Your confined living sounds horrible, along with the winds and rain. Hang in there!

Signing off now to grab some lunch before the furnace people arrive… have a great day. Bob :)
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,113 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon….almost.

I have an afternoon project. Something bad has happened to my little tomato plants. I am afraid I may have inadvertently put softened water on them rather than filtered water. A number of them are wilting today and they are not dry. I cannot put them out into their final pots on the deck. We have frost in the forecast tonight. I think I am going to make a mess this afternoon and pull them from their pots, knock off the soil and repot in fresh soil. Some will need a different size pot. Hope to save them. If not, I will be planting seeds again!

I am getting a credit with the company that delivers the groceries. Only good for a couple of months and I will have to place an order. They will not even put it against upcoming monthly dues. Meanwhile, they put a $120 hold on my credit card which is wildly higher than my order I am not liking them so much right now. This is the third major mistake. One time I received the wrong order and another time someone had bagged up the order wrong. I had maybe half of my items and half of someone else’s choices. I have never returned items—that is not allowed. Grocery stores here have not been taking back any items. Final straw, I was not allowed to lower the tip, which I think would have been justified.

Anne, congrats on finding some ‘right for your home’ window coverings. I hope your decorating guru agrees!

Sandy, sorry about the bug. But if they are just walking around on you and haven’t burrowed in, I think all is well. I have had to detach them from me and from pets. We were all fine and no Lyme disease so think positively!

Patsy, lots of good ideas for shopping. I heard Overstock has lots of great bargains although those are close out items aren’t they? Wouldn’t necessarily be able to get different sizes of the pattern if the originals didn’t work out.

Jackie, hello, is it warmer now? Are you ok?

Bob, I think you posted while I have been typing. I hope you are staying warm. I have several electric heaters just in case my furnace quits. I don’t want to see if that would really work.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ltx5lleqnh2u.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello out there! Rain, sun, cool and breezy. John is doing a Costco run...I am doing regular housework and watering and trying to pamper my sad neglected house plants. I have large treelike plant that I have had at least 30 years. There is a Christmas cactus that is a cutting from my mom’s plant years ago. You would think I would take better care of them. I take these old friends for granted way too often.

Does anyone else have problems with the posts being “broken and oddly jammed up?” There are times when it is impossible to read whole paragraphs. Or is it just me and my ancient iPad?

Bob: my sympathies on the furnace situation. Necessary but expensive replacement. John in the past has take taken on huge tasks like that. We often say we can tell he is aging because he actually hires a few things done now. Thank God! He is a good workman but slower than slow! We have a few of those little disc heaters for my dungeon and John’s workshop. John’s workshop has a wood stove that he loves. He makes a pot of coffee and it stays warm on the stove. I think it tastes like it could be used as roofing patch material. Scary stuff! But that’s another story.

Lin: I had no idea softened water was poisonous. Our water is pretty soft but I see little thingies floating in it. I try to use the filter pitcher but often get too busy to keep it filled and in the refrigerator. Hope the baby tomato plants make a recovery. That experience with grocery market really put me off. I would complain loudly and go elsewhere.

Sandy: that was a tick. I am sure you will be fine. Problems happen when they attach and suck blood. You picked it up when you were walking in the wooded area. We rarely get ticks in our area but we do have fleas...lots of them. Same problem actually. We used to have tick problems in Colorado.

Jackie: my love, I wish we were closer. I would offer you and your critters our guest room while the construction happens. The chickens would need to stay home. Katie would not be kind to them, I know.
    Do try to care for yourself. You mean so much to us!
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Lost my post!! 😩

A pleasant day as the sun is back and I enjoyed a long walk climbing through local woods looking at the bluebells.
    466i39vl6luw.jpeg

Gardening in the afternoon before an hour at the allotment to plant peas and beans and sip tea with my neighbours.
    The window cleaner came by but said that since builders were working here it was best to put off for a few weeks. I did ask Dave if he thought he would still be here but he laughed and said Nooooo! A light at the end of a long tunnel.
    There was a shower as I sat in my garden room finishing an evening meal of vegetarian lasagna with green salad and then an amazing rainbow.
    9bmorhofn7wr.jpeg

Now contemplating an early night!

Sandy, I’m sure if anyone was bitten by a tick you would be aware as they hang on for dear life and draw blood.

Bob, definitely don’t check for ‘H’s identity before watching this series but I’ll be fascinated to hear your views when you and Jean have ploughed through the 7 hours!!

Not much planned tomorrow so probably get more housework done now less dust is flying.

Take care
    Jackie

• Annsie35
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I've given up on new curtains PATSY. Every time I found the ones I liked wayfair said you are in Canada order off the Canadian site. So off I trot to the Canadian site and can't find them. After wasting HOURS I've decided I can put up with the fading ones I've got a tad longer. Mary Jo did like my choice.

Maybe I'll try elsewhere tomorrow. Like the UK JACKIE! I tried J. C. Penny and they sent me to Wayfair lol. It seems we are all having a frustrating time online shopping and LIN you must be gnashing your teeth! Sympathy sent.

JACKIE! A light at the end of the tunnel!!! Shall you take Dave to the pub for a celebratory pint when that happy day arrives? Maybe he should take you! after all you've put up with!

Yes, a tick alright SANDY but you caught it in time. Harry is back with us. I actually sort of enjoyed four days of no truck, no car and no boat! Hope he didn't encounter ticks "up north".

BOB I'm with you all the way on comfy homes you can relax in and put your feet up. I would be sitting on the edge of my seat in a steel and chrome posh home. Did you notice my country living decorating books when you checked the bookcase behind the poinsettia? They are American country and have some lovely photos and great ideas. Just wish I could find the same curtains! I guess the ones shown are custom made.

Anne.

• linder4866
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Happy Cinco de Mayo

6h76wxqzjl6w.jpeg

(Vegetarian style🤣😂🥲)
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Gracias, la misma para ti LIN (I think). Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Thanks Anne! I think you are absolutely spot on!
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello everyone! It is a very nice Cinco de Mayo! I used to love the special concerts , dancing, food and drink. It was an amazing holiday. When we lived in other places, there was a strong Latino community and certainly in the church and schools. Today, I will have to be content with some great Mexican music on CD and a Tex-Mex casserole.

Our son is involved with replacing some canvas on his sailboat. He would have had a sailing trip and boat party afterward. He speaks fluent Spanish and knows a couple of different dialects. I love to hear him speak Spanish. Here is the weird thing. When he speaks Spanish, his voice changes. It seems higher and he speaks a lot faster. But since the Covid monster is not even barely under control, he and his fully vaccinated pals are boat cleaning and refurbishing. I guess on a sailboat, repair/replace/ redo is part of the whole boat experience. He will come next week instead of this weekend on Mother’s Day.

Trimming my hair today and I must paint my fingernails...clear polish. It helps perfect my nails from all the hand washing. I also have a very light pink that looks okay on my fully beat up and constantly chapped hands. I will never be accused of being glamorous.

Finally our daughter and family are getting vaccinated. I have been really worried that they would not make the effort and disaster would sneak in under their door. But they will need a second dose, it is the moderna vaccine.

We are sort of reopening but a further lockdown is threatened. We keep getting 6 to 12 new cases a day. The medical community thinks it is being spread by our young people. Teens and kids in sports etc. I don’t understand. I thought the outdoor activities were safer? Much to do and learn here.
    Patsy☘️

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all…

The furnace installation went along fine without incident. The service guys were professional, friendly and fast. It actually smelled great when the heat kicked on early this morning. Gym was busier than usual at 5am – about 30 people. Ran some bank errands etc. mid-morning and then we did a walk at the mall. Back home I made lunch for us both, while Jean took off to run some of her own errands.

Wednesday lunch (182 cal.): Organic spring mix, celery, cucumber, green onion, tomato, red onion, roasted bell pepper strips, pepper rings, shredded chicken, broccoli, extra virgin olive oil/ balsamic spray…

1bfc40fn2xgb.jpg

Lin – We are certainly “toasty” now with the new furnace and again very fortunate it didn’t happen during the winter. Glad you got a grocery credit, but also understand being upset about too much of a credit hold. Always seems some merchants are quick to place a hold or process a charge – but take days on crediting. Hope it all works out!

Patsy - Thanks for the furnace sympathies. As you noted, it’s isn’t a cheap replacement…nor a “fun” expense. That would have been one nice vacation. LOL. On the positive side, we are warm and it isn’t like it was a health issue. John sounds like one talented guy. When it comes to anything electric or gas, I need to call on a pro. Think I will pass on his coffee… I am a bit of a snob in that I only will drink coffee that has been made fresh within an hour or so. Not hard to do as Jean doesn’t drink coffee and I have a Keurig and just pop in my Starbucks Pike Place Roast pod. Wish we had a Costco near us – I would be doing runs like John (but ours in on the other side of town by Jean’s uncle).

Jackie – Great rainbow! I wouldn’t mind one of those with a pot of gold at the other end. LOL With regards to Line of Duty – Jean and I talked about it in the car this morning and I think I am going to temp join HULU or something and blitz the series.

Anne – Definitely agree on the home décor. I have a friend whose house is so sterile, they wouldn’t have to take down a photo because there are almost none on the white walls. Many years ago, we hung a ton of family photos leading upstairs and throughout the house. We decided, why have them in a box so most would be thrown out when we died…so we get to enjoy them daily. And now I have to check out your bookcase for those decorating books. We always end up at some country store looking at items.

Jean is calling upstairs and wants to watch Big Sky that we recorded last night (“This is Us” was a repeat) – so bye for now. Bob :)
  • linder4866
    Options
    I was out watering my pots of plants on the deck and was attacked by a wasp. I flailed around and it backed off. Yes, I found my spray and the beginning of the nest under the overhang of my deck. I do not care at all for stinging insects.

I did order some of the items I was unable to obtain from another grocery store. I got some of them but that store isn’t part of the ordering chain so I couldn’t use my credit. Another day.

The sun is out and the wind gusts from time to time but not consistently. Last night the temperature dropped into the 30’s. It is just over 60 now. Putting those plants out early was not a favor to them. I got too anxious this year.

I hope everyone is having a safe day.

No news here so I will see you later.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

That’s as close as I could find to a festive holiday teapot.

taxizolk4f5n.jpeg
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Another cold day! This time last year we enjoyed a heatwave to see us through our first lockdown; today it’s barely 9c with a wind chill to add to the cold. I took the dogs on one of our regular walks that usually includes a run round a field but since my hands were already frozen when we reached it I did a u-turn and headed home.
    I have spent time in the greenhouse potting on young plants to give them more room and made cups of tea for Dave and Joe but by 3pm they finished everything they could until the electrician returns to complete more wiring. He messaged last night to tell me he won’t be back until next Tuesday so work has ground to a halt! No point even thinking of getting upset because I’ve lived so long in this mess another week is just that! Lin you mentioned heating I think. There isn’t any in the 2 rooms being renovated and the cold spreads to the kitchen and upstairs. My bedroom has a heater as does my shower room and garden room but life is restricted!

Not much else happening. I did read that Patsy’s part of the world is enduring higher infection rates and Ontario continues to struggle to vaccinate so I’m grateful for our NHS working so hard to keep us safe.

Today’s meal looks delicious Bob. I must remember to create similar dishes when my veggie plants finally produce! Right now the cold nights, even under glass, are stunting their growth.

It’s turned into a pleasant evening with late sunshine but my indoor/outdoor thermometer tells me the temperature in the greenhouse is already down to 11.8c

Another year, another wasp nest Lin! You do seem to attract them which is no fun. Even I couldn’t cope with a wasp nest above my door!

I wish nail varnish would be the answer to my fingernail woes but constant washing, gels and gardening gives them no hope!

Time to clear my kitchen after cooking the evening meal then may as well settle down and either read or see what tv can offer.

Take care everyone.
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I've just spent a pleasant couple of hours looking at my maybe a dozen or so "country living" books and it's got me all enthusiastic again. Mainly American but I liked a section on the English country house and cottage garden. Now that would suit me very well !! Anyway a lot of the English section LRs had floral curtains whilst the American country LRs favoured plain curtains and often white and breezy. Both sections equally beautiful and seeing I live in Canada I'll go and have look at the plain curtains on offer again. Both the English and American sections featured loads of plants and fresh vases of roses etc. and both sections cozy and put your feet up worthy. On the downside Michael who I love to pieces can be a tad undiplomatic at times as in "why are you wanting new curtains at your age Mom." Well, because my eyesight hasn't quite faded yet and it's uplifting to live amongst things you can eye and enjoy. Lol.

I thought of your garden room JACKIE when I viewed this. And after I pressed done I found you have posted above me. Well, think ahead love, this photo is you late summer.
    Anne.
    9gjthfcmacj3.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,067 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) After a frustrating day yesterday of trying to make reservations at my park district for the waterworks which is an indoor water playground I talked to a wonderful lady who walked me through the whole thing. Me, Lisa and the kiddos will be going on Sunday, Mothers Day when it won't be crowded even though they only allow up to 46 people. It means I have to wear a swimsuit but I am biting the bullet. I asked the lady who helped me her name so I could let the park district know how nice she was, she told me both her first and last name thinking I was kidding. I did write an email and she called to thank me for the compliment. Her supervisor showed her what I wrote and she was more than grateful, which made me happy. Rob will meet us at my house when we are done, the sessions are 1.5 hours so I booked two sessions. I ordered food to be picked up so we will have a wonderful Mother's Day.

Jackie, you can see a light at the tunnel, soon they will be done and you will enjoy your new surroundings. Sorry it is so cold, it would be great if you had some summer weather to enjoy the outside. When do you go back to the doctor?

Lin, your weather is like ours and I have no plans to go out until Friday when Bryanna will do my hair at her school.
    I hate any type of bee but wasps are the worse. I have a bad habit of shooing them away and I am told that is not what to do as it aggravates them. Hard to sit still while they are buzzing in your face.

Bob, glad you got your furnace and are toasty once again. I think you can Hulu on a free trial basis for a month so you should be able to binge watch all the episodes in that amount of time.

Anne, hope all is well with you and Harry is back to packing his junk.

Time to ride the bike and watch the last episode of the season of Curse of Oak Island, my DIL got me hooked.

Have a great rest of your day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

1212388dx6eta085d.gif
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Morning, JACKIE. Did you notice Brady on the chaise longe to the right? I guess George and Betty are out strolling the woods with you. Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Morning Anne, yes that’s Brady, always taking the most comfy chair! I could happily live in that garden room for the next 10 years. As for your decor desires, there’s no getting away from your English rose blood and upbringing so I do hope you find exactly what you want. I’m definitely with you on the idea of uplifting surroundings whatever our age.

Like a cracked record I can only repeat it’s another cold day and I see from the BBC news App it’s been snowing in some areas of Scotland. It has been trying to rain so I’m concentrating on housework while I wait for a delivery of my new loo to be fitted in the old airing cupboard. I’m anticipating agro if the delivery driver refuses to come down our track because the builder isn’t here and I do find sometimes being a woman on my own can go against any offer of help!

Two phone calls this morning, one from the electricity supply company confirming they will visit on the 21st to put right some wobbly outdoor cables and the hospital to let me know I’ve a follow up appointment with the plastic surgeon on the 20th.... no clashes for once!

I’ll pop back later but must get on with cleaning and maybe a toasted bagel for lunch. Also going to make a pot of leek and Stilton cheese soup with allotment produce.

Jackie