Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Oh SANDY, good and bad news. Please dear friend stay safe. Of course we are worried about you! and the news on the radio just now wasn't at all optimistic with the new variant in Canada.
    JACKIEs advice is so good, stay home, stay warm and cosy. and get tested if you get the sniffles. I'm sorry I was a little hard on your friend. This period of time has us all on edge and not quite ourselves.
    So happy for your son and his bride to be, a bright spot in what is becoming a cheerless world.
    There is good news because as Jackie says most people come through it all after suffering a very bad cold so with your vaccinations all should be well for you and yours. Virtual hugs sent from me to a very loving Grandma, mother, mother in law and friend.

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Lisa and Rob didn't want me to tell anyone because of political backlash so don't tell them I told you. Basically that is what they feel like just a bad cold although my son felt out of breathe. He is getting tested as I write just to be sure. I will get tested as recommended 3-5 days from exposure which will be Thursday or Friday. I think they are already on the healing side as they have been sick for a week. Hopefully there are no setbacks especially with the kids. Lisa is asking their doctor if they should also be tested. This is known as a breakthrough case and we all knew the vaccine was 95% effective so there is always a 5% chance of contacting covid. The good news is it should help with not getting really sick and hospitalization. So although I don't want it, I am not that concerned.

On a brighter side, my newly engaged son's birthday is today. He is my baby and is 49 today, his brother Rob will be 50 tomorrow. No celebrations for Rob except Lisa will probably make him a cake.
    We hope to surprise him with a party next Spring or Summer when we can be outdoors.

Bryanna was going to help put up my Christmas Decorations, not many but I put lights and a big wreath on my balcony that is too hard to do myself. She was also going to clean my house but I will just tidy up until it is safe for her to come here. I can put the smaller things up so will see if I feel like it later.

Thanks for the heartwarming cheer and just keep staying safe. Wear a mask and social distance and stay away from people who think they just have a cold. lol

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,189 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Sandy, I understand that this is a breakthrough case for Lisa. And thank heavens everyone, who is able, has been vaccinated. Even though it is mild, it is probably a very good thing to have everyone tested and to isolate for a few days. That way you are doing your best to keep from spreading it, albeit mild, any further. And I trust all will be fine for you and yours. Congrats on the wonderful news from your son. I hope they will have a happily ever after. They certainly did not rush into anything. Happy happy days ahead!

Anne, happy Monday to you. Any chance one of your family members could take a look at your iPad to see if it can be revived? I hope your weather is ok. I thought I saw a photo somewhere of snow on the ground in your area. Could have been just a photo but not recent.

Jackie, wow, I hope you can get more heat without tripping any breakers. Argh! The first floor in my house is a bit chilly all the time now although the thermostat says all is well. Upstairs is always more comfortable. Odd. I am wearing a shirt, a flannel shirt and a hooded sweatshirt. That is warmer.

Patsy, still visiting with Damon or has he headed out?

My iPad is running out of battery.

Back later perhaps.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Oooh, Christmas is coming as evidenced by this teapot, shared online today.

c878h72fxkik.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Options
    And I'm sat here snivelling. All Creatures Great and Small is on PBS, the new version and I'm back in my - for a short time - personal heaven. We are back in time in 1932, but all is familiar as I was born in 1935.

Wonderful news SANDY! Today is turning out to be much better than it started despite the snow.

Anne.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,764 Member
    Options
    There weren’t many visitors to the moors this morning but then it was very cold. I let the pooches off lead before we left the car park which was a bad idea because there were just soooo many blades of grass for George to sniff after a weekend of doggy visits and Betty does tend to stay with him which is good. I found myself standing waiting for them to catch up several times. We walked quite a way once we got going but had to dodge a herd of cattle that constantly drifted then ponies with a couple of small colt that raced in circles but thankfully the dogs had the sense to stay out of their way.
    At one point George lumbered on to a large boulder but Betty decided it was too high so posed instead!
    z16y9rj7czow.jpeg

Robbie the smithy arrived to check adjustments on the beautiful new gate he has forged so we chatted for a while before he returned to fire up and do the fiddly bits, then it was a quick lunch before I drove to a local general store for a few items including a pair of curtains for my dining room because I’m sure heat is being lost through the double glazed window. New homes generally go for triple these days! I will hang the curtain rail tomorrow. I’d only been home a few minutes when my friend Linda’s son the builder phoned to ask if he could pop round to look at my requirements for trellis/ fencing to hide the sight of next door’s patio and beer garden. He had a good look and will take advice about the height I’m allowed since the neighbouring garden is much higher, then do some calculations and let me know so that will be another job out of the way.
    After all that it was time to light the fire and reheat bean casserole. Some has gone into the freezer but there’s still enough in the fridge for another meal.

Anne, did the expected snow arrive with the new variant? It’s wonderful that you already feel a difference now insulation has been installed. Just heard on the radio news that people snowed in at the highest pub in North Yorkshire see no sign of being rescued but I’m guessing once they run out of beer things will change!

Lin, I feel draughty breezes downstairs at times whereas the heat rises so it’s never cold upstairs but I do like a cosy bedroom when I get up. Hopefully more time to set up the heater tomorrow but meanwhile I wear a small vest and two tops, a knitted sweater over a roll neck. Cute teapot today. 🎅🏼

Oh dear Sandy, what’s with the political backlash over the Covid diagnosis i wonder? Never mind, I promise I won’t tell a soul! 😷. Hopefully none of you will feel bad and this time next week it will all be over. 😘

Is Damon still with Patsy and John? More leftovers!

I’ve finished my evening meal so will settle down to more of The Crown. I’ve watched Series 1 and halfway through series 2 so Phillip is home from his naughty 5 month world tour jaunt and Margaret just met Anthony Armstrong Jones. What a sad life she led!

Stay safe everyone. I’m amazed how many shoppers still don’t wear a mask when there’s nothing difficult involved.

Jackie 🥰

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello dearest sneakers! We have slightly mild weather with high overcast. It looks like it will send a few showers our way, as usual.

Damon has returned to portland. I am already missing him. We will see him at Christmas and that’s not too long from now. He is our darling son who sees little things he can do for us and even our daughter is crazy about this very nice man. We are a very sentimental family. I wish there were more of us in this family. Maybe the world is not ready for a whole bunch of crazy, sentimental, huggy kissy kind of people.

John was up very late doing his thing. An enormous collection of odd little tasks. I think he likes to have the house to himself to do what he wants, at the time he wants to do it. Independent guys are a strange lot.

Katie is back to her position as alpha female and is running the household as it should be. She is large and in charge!

Sandy: I can’t help but be worried about you and your sweet little family. You are responsible and careful so I know you will be okay. This evil virus is tricky and sneaky. It seems to require us to remain ever vigilant.

Anne: our PBS station has just started showing the “All Creatures…” series. I plan on seeing episode. I will be sniveling right along with you. You also are on my worry list. How is you zoster sores? Also an evil virus. There is a common and very unpleasant side effect to shingles, for some people. It is called herpetic neuralgia and I had that after my shingles. It was worse, I think! But not exactly fatal.

Lin: your teapot looks like a James Shore design. I think that is his name. His stuff has a special look. I love his work. You also need to continue taking good care.
    Love,
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Marks here measuring the downstairs front bedroom which had the outer wall insulation and wall board removed.
    Yes, I saw the pub up on the high moor was snowed in for three days. That happens regularly and I remember one Christmas it was snowed in for a week and a helicopter had to drop Christmas cheer for the stranded merry makers. That was a wonderful Christmas I bet. We used to go there with the boys when they were young because the old Roman paved road is up there as well, and Mike takes after me with a love of history.
    Still feeling a bit homesick after my time with the television country vets.
    Annsie.

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh and Jackie: all my best wishes on your heater project. We have space heaters everywhere. Not a great idea but we all adjust to needs of the moment. We often have really high winds that buffet the huge tall trees around. (100 ft.) Since our water table is so shallow, the root system is also shallow. High winds cause the huge trees to just fall over, The root system turns over and the huge trees come tumbling down. Dangerous and upsetting to see.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    You beat me to it PATSY! 0h DO watch All Creatures Great and Small. I'm watered down a bit but you will get a rough idea of what my family lot were like! Not the INs. They tended to be a bit posher than us peasants. But the peasants were the most fun and very down to earth. A spade was called a spade if you get my drift. If I'm reincarnated I'm going to be born again in North East Yorkshire, keep well clear of dark handsome aircraft engineers and stay PUT. AND keep my unfashionable northern accent!

I think I'm slowly getting over the shingles. It would help if I could stop Jilly Bean pulling my socks off and licking my ankles! which are very itchy and red. She means well I guess. Or I'm salty tasting.

Take care you lovely folk, Avoid shingles, virus's, handsome men and things that go bump in the night [apart from George, Betty and Brady!]
    Annsie.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    We are apparently heading for a balmy 12c after a few freezing days but of course that comes with clouds and drizzle so today I took George and Betty into the wooded area behind my property. Thick leaves lying everywhere made walking difficult for me and at one point I sank into thick mud that was hidden beneath but the dogs loved the new smells. Once home I collected secateurs and a rake to cut ivy out off the old granite wall beside the gate entrance and clear more leaves so Robbie will find it easier to hang the new gate and drill into the stone to attach a latch.
    Next I must muck out the hens then hang the curtain rail and new curtains then attempt to attach brackets to the wall in my bedroom for the heater. Heat from the wood burner in my dining room finds its way upstairs so it wasn’t chilly in my bedroom last night. Of course, I could make my life easier and buy a new one with feet!

Hmmm, looking particularly gloomy outside so the hens might have to wait.

Anne, a Canadian work colleague loved English literature and after ploughing through JR Tolkien’s Hobbit discovered James Herriot’s books. I can remember her giggling as she read during a lunch break. When I returned to the UK I went to visit an aunt who lived in Thirsk and by then the original TV series was being broadcast so she was very proud that her vet was Siegfried Farnon! I didn’t ask if any of the stories were about her!! Because I remember that series so well, even 40 years on, I haven’t watched the new one but know it receives good reviews and can understand why you’d feel a little homesick.

Patsy, I think the world is definitely ready for, and in need of, a family like yours. Too many grouchy people about these days!

I must get on with searching for the rings that sit on the curtain rail and hopefully the plastic hooks are still attached to the old curtains. All got tucked away before the renovations began so who knows where all this time on!

Sandy, I trust all is good and healthy for you. Let us know please. ❤️ You too Lin. Busy with your amazing card making I expect.

Jackie 🥰

• Annsie35
    Options
    I enjoyed the first episode of All Creatures JACKIE. So far just as good as the first and I'm looking forward to the arrival of Diana Rig as Mrs Pumpfrey and her little dog, Tricki Woo. Her last appearance before she died is apparently her best. You had an aunt who lived in Thirsk!!!!!? Oh my, small world and we used to holiday in your PRESENT area. Our paths crossed but we never met as you left Canada when we arrived. I have James Herriots books and also a book of photographs of James Herriots Yorkshire. I think my favourite story was the one about the old lady who brought in her very sick budgie. Well he died, so they bought her an identical one to keep her company and pretended he was the original. A few days later she arrived at the office saying she didn't know what the vets had done to perform such a miracle on little Joey but he couldn't talk when she brought him in and now he could.
    What a good job you didn't join your Aunt in Thirsk. I would be hammering on your window like Catherine Earnshaw's ghost yelling "let me in". lol. Remember my cousin Vals husband Roy Cook who died of the Corvid? Well, Captain Cook was a past relative of his. I think the connection was the great mans brother because the good captain had no children. Too late to ask him!

Our weather warms up tomorrow but more snow today.

Well must stop living in the past and wish everyone a good day today, particularly Sandy and Lin with her sinus's.

I gather the Corvid was an escaped lab experiment but of course the Chinese won't admit it. When will the world stop mucking around with nature!

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) A beautiful sunny day with temps maybe reaching 50 but Thursday it will be 60. I really want to get my balcony decorated on such a nice day so I might not wait for Bryanna. I plan on getting tested Thursday so we will see. I didn't get any up yesterday because I was trying to make copies of three dance DVD's and was having problems. I got two out of three done so hopefully done today.
    Bryanna picked up my groceries and dropped them off inside my door with mask on both of us. It sort of feels like the beginning of the Pandemic but I am okay with that.
    My second son Rob turns 50 today but what a way to celebrate a birthday. They are all achy, with headaches and just plain tired. I told him we will celebrate at a later date when all are well. They are more worried about me but so far I feel fine so hopefully I will be okay.

Anne, I don't think they are sure where the virus came from but I do feel sorry for the Chinese people who are being threatened and bullied. It certainly wasn't their fault yet some are injured by ignorant people. I might have to check out All Creatures, I do love the English shows. BTW I finished Grantchester except for season six which isn't on Amazon Prime yet.

Jackie, when I read you stepped in mud puddle I cringed, did you get full of mud or twist your ankle?
    Busy day for you so I hope you got it all done with no problems. BTW I love the pictures of the pups on that boulder.

Patsy, I am so happy you had a good day with Damon. Scary stuff with trees being uprooted and falling. I hope none are on your property.

Lin, I am isolating until Thursday when I go get tested and after that until I get results. My son took a rapid and PCR test yesterday and his rapid came back negative. He is waiting for CPR results which takes a couple of days. The rapid tests are 72% accurate and if a person with Covid doesn't have symptoms it is only 58% accurate. That is why when tested you should get both or just PCR. I will get both. I am feeling fine so unless I am asymptomatic I think I am good.

Have a safe and healthy day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    Options
    Crazy time! I can’t find all the rings, end knobs or brackets for the curtain pole so no curtains hung. I have looked in every feasible place so now to the ridiculous! The hen house was cleaned out though, then I brought my DIY kit and power tools up from my garden shed only to discover I don’t have the correct size screws for the heater brackets. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow after a coffee and cake trip out with Linda of the allotments.

Anne, I did have a good look round North Yorkshire when I returned as I considered settling there but having experienced Canadian winters, didn’t fancy putting up with more snow so Cornwall called! Yes, I think we have been the proverbial ships that pass in the night!

Sandy, it’s ok, the squelchy mud didn’t come over the top of the wellies I was wearing and at one point further on, I crossed a tiny stream because George decided to go that way, and washed most off so didn’t have to bring any home although one hand got muddy when I had to balance climbing the bank.
    My fingers will be well and truly crossed for you Thursday when you test but the main thing is you remain feeling well. ❤️

A while ago I completed a diet questionnaire on the Covid App I contribute daily to about whether my diet changed during the pandemic and during August and September 2020 I was rated 11 when anything 12 upwards is considered excellent so I’m guessing it was the extra chocolate I found myself eating that let me down. Remember the Kit Kat’s? They are no more! 🙃

Kettle on then perhaps a couple more episodes of The Crown. I see The Bahamas has come out of the Commonwealth to become a Republic this week and our Queen wished them well and sent Charles there to smile graciously. How times they are a-changing!

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hello friends. The dozen remaining calendars are all ready to go in the mail. Enclosed in plastic. Made tiny gift tags from some paper I had foiled that didn’t turn out 100%. I ink blended over it, cut out tiny tags and addressed the back of each. After that, each went in an envelope and I sealed them up, some with Washi tape and most of them with an extra seal. Next, I will go through each Christmas card to make sure everything looks okay and I have found some seals for the envelopes that will work. But not today. Soon though.

A photo of a little calendar enclosed in plastic with the tiny tag.
    8iqqyaar8vd7.jpeg

I finished watching the 8 episodes of Professor on YouTube. It is a Russian version so I did try to keep an eye on the subtitles. I will watch anything I can related to “All Creatures Great and Small” and I am not sure why but I have seen the episodes with Diana Rigg. She was in the first Season Episodes 2 and maybe 4. Season 2 starts in January but PBS gave us some little previews if you signed up for a certain newsletter.

Patsy, I checked and found out that teapot was a Fitz and Floyd design. How is Katie today? I hope John has gotten some rest. He seems to work so hard on his list of To-Dos.

Jackie, oh my, missing items. I hope you find replacements and can get on with your projects. I am confident that if you purchase all new items, you will indeed find the old ones as soon as you’ve finished. Lucky hens, you do keep their world straightened out and tidy.

Sandy, sorry your son’s family is still unwell. Of course I will continue to be concerned about you because worrying is my style! Also it concerned me that the breakthrough case was not just in one person but several. My friend who was exposed by a breakthrough case of her stepson was fine and none of the other members of his immediate family had a breakthrough case. Just him.

Anne, tell that dear little Bean to leave you alone so you can heal up. I am no expert when it comes to shingles but I do know one person who had them for a very long time around around his waist. He was quite miserable. So I think they are sort of unpredictable.

Hoping for happy days. We have nice warm weather coming tomorrow. I think I will run my errands.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Lovely set!
    8fy5lhsfucrz.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Not much to report on yesterdays activities. The snow melted and the folk next door disappeared. They got rid of Harrys log burning stove and now we are wondering if the heat didn't come on from his unused furnace. Meanwhile Mark and Mary Jo had a debate and decided not to patch the basement here and there but to go the whole hog and start again from scratch. So much ripping up of floorboards and tiles etc, and me feeling a bit better from the dreaded shingles joined them to be the sweeper upper. At the end of an afternoon session Jilly the Beano got taken for a walk and I was going to join them except the ice put me off. Hopefully I get to go today. I think the little one thought she was being kidnapped because she kept looking back at me standing at the window, and wanted to come home after all duties completed.

JACKIE your mud squelching reminded me of the nursery rhyme "Doctor Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain. He stepped in a puddle right up to his middle and never went there again." Don't you think good clean Yorkshire snow beats southern mud!? Just joking of course and at least you had nice tall wellies.
    LINDA working her magic again. I really do have to get off my bum and join the human race again. Mark said when he had shingles it knocked the stuffing out of him and he was tired all the time up to just recently.
    PATSY, can't find you! and SANDY, hope you are still feeling good with no sniffle.

Time to talk to cousin Helen in Aussie land.
    Hope today is good for us all,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. Unusually warm. Wahoo!

Off to do my errands.

❤️🙋🏼‍♀️
    Lin
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Pass it on LIN, Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Let's see what should I do today? I guess I will just stay home. lol Still feeling fine with no symptoms so that is good. I will make the labels for the DVD's I made yesterday and then just chill. I did get my balcony lights up but will wait for the big wreath until it is safe for Bryanna to come. (maybe) The inside is done so I am good. Not many since I rarely get anyone visiting except Bryanna. The kids have been asking to come here so when all is good I will try to have them spend the night one time. (maybe)

Lin, we are having the same weather and tomorrow it is supposed to be 60. A good day to get tested and hopefully get negative results so I can see the kiddos again and of course Rob and Lisa. Have fun running your errands. Love your little calendars, your receivers will love them. We are thinking Robby got if from school although he wears a mask and since he was vaccinated Lisa thought it was a reaction to the shot and turned into colds so no one isolated and they are a loving family who do a lot of hugging and kissing. All are feeling better today so hopefully will be fine soon.

Anne, I wish I could send warm weather to you but please don't share yours. Gosh, did Harry do anything to take care of that house? He sounds like he was a hoarder who did nothing to keep his house up. Sad.

Jackie, your wellies expression makes me smile, here we just call them boots. I hope you find your brackets, rings and knobs before purchasing new ones. You must have put them some place safe and unless they got tossed they will appear. I really enjoyed the Crown even with knowing some of it was not true. I suppose it was the royal life that impressed me and knowing they are just like you and me with their family problems.

Patsy, hope all is well in Portland.

Have a good day and keep staying safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Back to cold winds so this morning’s short walk was minus Betty because she turned her back and curled up when I encouraged her to come out and I wasn’t going to force her. She had done all necessary toileting when she first got up! Linda picked me up from the end of the track and drove us to the coffee shop on top of the moors where the cold wind was even stronger but we were shown to a table tucked in a corner so were cosy. Chocolate and orange cake with our coffee and 3 hours later we finished catching up and making plans for any future problems from the man at the allotments who continues to upset some people.

When I returned home I had another search for the missing curtain rail attachments and finally found them in the back of a cupboard in the spare bedroom so then spent too much time trying to fix it to the wall with a lot of naughty cross shouting when it kept coming away. I think it’s attached now but have paused for a cup of tea while I calm down! 😤. Hopefully the little plastic hooks I need are still attached to the old curtains that got pushed out of the way into a drawer when the building work began. They are destined for a charity collection box. Now that just leaves the heater in my bedroom but tonight I’ll leave the door ajar so heat from downstairs will drift in.

Wow Anne, now you’re all literally letting rip in your basement but I bet it will look wonderful once finished. Will the work be completed by Christmas do you think?
    Yes, I do remember Doctor Foster who went to Gloucester, then there was the hippopotamus song, mud, mud, glorious mud, nothing quite like it for cooling the blood and I also remember a poem that went something along the lines of nobody else but the rose bush knows, how nice mud feels between the toes!!

What a stunning tea set Lin, so bright and cheery and another one that would match my dining room perfectly. Lucky you with that warm weather. Just heard on our news that some people in Scotland who lost power during the weekend storm will hopefully be reconnected by Christmas which is terrible because some have no other form of heating, never mind hot water!

Tea finished so I’ll hunt out the curtain hooks.

I trust Sandy and Patsy are ok.
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Can't resist SANDY. Do you know why rubber boots are called Wellington Boots or wellies?
    They are named after the Duke of Wellingtons boots which he wore at the battle of Waterloo..
    JACKIE, I will be lucky if the basement is finished by NEXT Christmas. Oh oh, here come the workers.
    Bye,
    Anne.