Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Back again! Tonight we are watching Denzel Washington and Whitney Huston in “The Preachers Wife” it is a remake of an old move called the Bishop’s Wife. I saw the original many years ago. This remake is good and story holds up. Good Christmas movie. We are concentrating on Christmas movies. Good fun and makes us happy.

I guess looking old and being old sort of goes together. The real trick is to look pleasant and happy as we age. No scowling and grumpy comments. I think that comes with feeling bad and angry over physical changes. Must read Buzzes commandments again. They really do help me deal with life as the years pile up. So here’s to you, dear Buzz! Your wisdom and humor is still with us.

This pandemic is just tiring. I am so tired of all the caution, special cleaning and hand sanitizers, masks and hearing about friends and family who have been taken from us far too soon. I must start my “thank goodness” list. Just heard about two old friends, gone, Covid! Vaccinated but no booster and would not wear masks! Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh!
    Laundry is now ready for dryer.
    Patsy☘️

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    My day started well with an enjoyable walk when we met a couple I’ve known since first walking George, then into the post office so parcel on its way but things have gone downhill since then. Dan arrived and got started digging the first hole for a wooden post but immediately hit and damaged a mains water pipe that I didn’t know existed. It seems to come from under my property and turns into next door but I’m sure doesn’t feed their supply either but meanwhile Dan had to turn off the water for all 4 properties then drive into town to buy a section of replacement pipe. Next problem, the pipe is so old that size doesn’t exist anymore so Dan has been trying to seal the split with a resin bandage. Meanwhile one neighbour is complaining but the others are luckily out! George is filthy because he’s been playing in the muddy water but I can’t bath him until the water is switched back on, doors are open so the cottage is freezing and my day has been totally unproductive! Oh well, things could be worse and may well get that way if what we’re being told about the new variant is true! More announcements from Boris at 5pm. This thing must surely be man made; it certainly has all the hallmarks. 🤬

Lin, your latest teapot is hilarious and just what’s needed. 😁

Back later when the fire is lit behind closed doors and George is shampooed.

Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Oh Jackie, that sounds like a horrible mess and poor Dan. Do you have someone to call from the village that could help with that pipe? We of course have city water and sewer so maintained by most villages.
    I do hope he was able to fix it and your neighbors can stop complaining. Maybe have a sip of wine or cognac to settle the nerves.

Happy Wednesday! :) At least I hope it is happy for the rest of you. I am sitting later but then Rob and I will be taking the young kids to see Robby perform in Mary Poppins. I am not sure we will see the whole play or just the part that Robby is in, Lisa wasn't clear on that. I think Robby has RE after that so I will be going back to the house to put Charlie to bed before heading home. It is supposed to get really windy tonight so I hope it holds off until I get home and yes it did sprinkle enough rain to get my car wet as predicted.

Have a great day and keep smiling it drives other people crazy.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,204 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hello. The weather warnings here are dire. Many many things are cancelled now and we have been advised to stay off the roads this afternoon through tomorrow morning. It is crazy hot and damp out there with a few sprinkles earlier. I think everyone in the state is reminded of last year’s Derecho that decimated many areas as well as the recent tornados in the South. Winds forecast 70 to 80 mph. Yet my church has not cancelled Christmas caroling and soup supper/potluck afterwards.

Jackie, what a nasty start to the day. I would be in the same situation here. We are responsible for fixing any water pipe problems from the shutoff in the sidewalk to the house. I hope he finds a solution quickly! We have a locating service that can come out to mark our lines with flags where they are supposed to be but even that is not 100% accurate.

Sandy, busy day. I hope Robby does well again in his performance. Be safe and I hope the bad weather does hold off until you are home.

Patsy, I still love the Bishop’s Wife and watch it every year. It is still on my list for this year. In general I love old B&W movies.

Anne, hello. Have you dug out your paints? Or is it too disruptive in the house given the remodeling? Who is taking you and Jilly to the vet’s office later in the week?

Well, need to scoot along. Praying everyone will be safe and sound as we meet again tomorrow.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

This seems to be a decorative teapot. I see no way for it to be functional.

3kariofhkz8w.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Options
    The fire is lit so my feet are beginning to warm up and I’ve enjoyed a sausage and bean meal. The resin bandages didn’t stop the leak completely so Dan went off to buy yet more packs and while he was away Brady ran into the garden from the fields with a cute mouse. I grabbed a woolly hat and threw it in his direction and once distracted I ran to pick the little thing up. It bit me!! Barely back indoors when George was sick and brought up lumps of mud for me to clean up and finally Dan returned and tried again to seal the leak. He was in the dark with a lamp on his head and talking on his phone while sticking more tape but finally came in to say his friend thinks he knows where solid connectors can be purchased and dear of him, he was going to drive to take a look but I told him it was 5.30 so go home and start again in the morning. Hopefully the leak won’t get bigger in the night!
    We have a main company that supplies the mains water and sewage pipes but not if on private property. I still wonder what it’s for on the edge of my garden; certainly not supplying my property.
    For sure Sandy, if there was alcohol in the cottage I would be pouring a large glass!

Please take care Sandy and Lin. Warm air and storms can herald problems so stay safe indoors. A beautiful teapot Lin and I’m sure you’re right, decorative only. Enjoy Robby’s performance Sandy.

Yesterday I received a Jacquie Lawson card from Buzz’s friends at Blue Water Circle and lovely as it was to hear from them, it saddened me realising how much I miss her stories about her community, the wondrous foods and fab entertainment. Definitely, here’s to the dear lady, wherever she is!

A cup of tea and feet up time.
    Jackie 🥰

• JillyBurg6
    JillyBurg6 Posts: 186 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Oh my goodness a day of disasters! I'm so sorry JACKIE!
    Well I might as well add to it. After scratching scabs which are appearing ALL OVER me from my scalp to my toes I've just read that while the virus vaccine cannot cause shingles it can REACTIVATE the chickenpox virus which causes shingles in some individuals. I've had this discomfort for 4 months now, and it certainly destroys any Christmas cheer as you prickle all over like a pin cushion. The good news - nobody's died from it - YET! Don't want to make history!
    Anyway, if I've not been my usual Cheerful Charlie self you all know why!
    Anne. with Jilly Bean joining me in a good scratch.

Shingle bells, shingle bells, shingle all the way,
    Oh what fun it is to scratch your day away.
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    A dark and cloudy day here. Snow on our mountain passes. My. Hood is covered in crazy deep snow. Every year some insane person decides to climb up the .mountain in the snow. They get lost, never use the locator device offered at the forest service, of course. Then the fun begins. People risking their own lives to find the nut-job mountain climber. I do get annoyed at people who do things thoughtlessly endangering others, in their entertainment activities. Our son was a wild one when young and often caused me great worry and distress. He hiked and climbed and suba dived and skied and has a modecycle. Actually! He still frightens me. He just doesn’t let me know everything until later. Bad boy!

Anne: my dear friend! I am so sorry to hear about your shingles. I know it is a misery. To have the infection virus for so long would certainly make me extremely gloomy. If you can get your doc to prescribe it there is a drug that helps tremendously. It is called gabapintin. It controls the itching and pain. It is fairly benign. Just an idea, I know you hate going to the doctor just like I do. But there are times when we need address the problem aggressively.

Jackie: oh my, you are really being hit with things in all directions. I am so sorry! Since you are an animal person like me, I know your biggest worry is your dear sweet George.is he alright apart from being a bit dirty? That little mouse is lucky it was deposited in your house instead of mine. Katie plays with her toys etc by shaking them vigorously by the neck. Live things would have a broken neck and then worse…..I can only say that things will eventually get sorted out. I do wish I could send John to yell and cuss, but he does get things done in a very unpleasant way, at times.

Sandy and Lin: please be careful! These storms are NOT to be taken lightly. Power outages and wind damage are common here. But we have a wood stove for alternative heat and cooking. Lanterns for light and an emergency battery radio. I know both of you Plan ahead, so we are keeping you in our thoughts.

Tonight we watch Prancer! So sweet! I love the adorable little girl and Santa’s reindeer is georgous.
    Patsy☘️☃️☔️💦.
  • JillyBurg6
    Options
    Good morning and a quick comment. Its 60 degrees F here as we wake up. High winds and power outages forecast. Short sleeves today!
    Thanks for your sympathy and advice PATSY. Just ignore me, you will know I am on the mend when I shut up.
    Groceries delivered today because I'll be at the vets tomorrow. Mikes driving us there.
    Bye for now,
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    😖🥺😤 lost a long post when I missed the low battery warning!
    Recharging, then I’ll be back.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Busy day today, first my meeting, then stopping for gas and at the store for two more slabs of baby back ribs, then going to a wake and after the wake I am going for pizza with two of my friends who will also be at the wake. Tomorrow morning is the funeral mass so I probably won't check in until later tomorrow. The play was short and because the kids with speaking parts had no mikes we couldn't hear a word they said. Robby was in the group who sang supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and he did a good job. You will be singing that song all day. He did a good job and we are so proud of him.
    I changed my lunch date with Joe until Wednesday as Bryanna is doing Lisa's hair at her house on Monday and I will go to help with the kids so they don't bug Lisa or Bryanna.

Still very windy here but it is supposed to stop soon. Have a great day, continue to stay safe and Anne try Calamine Lotion, worked for my kids with chicken pox. You can also take an oatmeal bath which will help relieve the itching. Just a thought.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,204 Member
    Options
    Hello. So glad to be back today. The tornado/strong thunderstorm sirens went off over and over and over last night. Someone said they were counting and gave up at 10. They might as well started them up and let them scream at us for an hour or two. They kept saying take cover. Fright night. In the light of day, just a few little branches down here and the power didn’t go off. Very fortunate.

Sandy, what busy times! Take care. Our hospitals are about full again. Darn virus. And no, I am not going to sing that song all day. 😂😂. Enjoy the pizza.

Jackie, sorry the battery was going low and we missed your long post. I hope the water pipe is fixed by now. 🤞🏻 And that nothing else has gone wrong. How’s the mouse bite? Stay warm and cozy and darn it, all critters, be nice to Jackie. Speaking of warm, I have been reading that the Federal government is trying to put in place a mandate that no residential construction can have gas hook-ups. And of course they want to move us to electric cars. And we will all freeze when there are problems with the power grid when they ban alternate fuel sources. A wind turbine was destroyed last night in the storm. Guess those aren’t 100%. Actually we have a place in the state where damaged wind turbine blades are stacking up. They don’t know how to dispose of them. They are thinking of some sort of chipper. I don’t think there is a no-fail alternative. Do they not think of how to dispose of this stuff BEFORE they put them in place?

Anne, I read about Chicken pox virus reactivation a little bit. They don’t seem to know much about that either. They keep saying there are very few instances. Hummmmm. I am sorry that you have to keep fighting that darn rash. I hope your weather is not as wild as ours. (I am a calamine lotion fan too.)

Patsy, did you enjoy Prancer? What is next on your list? I didn’t watch anything except weather updates last night. Not a favorite of mine. ☺️

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

q1kykuorzzma.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Ohhhhhh what weather we are all having! It is cold and rainy here. We are expecting a few snow flurries that will not hang around for even a moment. Our mountain passes will get a huge icy snow that will make driving a scary nightmare. So we are not sure about Christmas with Damon. All will work out, I am sure.

John is going to HAVE to get his cataracts taken care of. The poor guy really feels vulnerable and he is one of those guys that feels like he must do all the driving. As I said, these things will sort themselves out and solutions are out there! I fixed Him a salmon and pepper quich, which he loved. I didn’t think about it but it was egg whites only and low fat cheese and a small dollop of half and half. As few calories as I could make it. But he didn’t lose any weight!

As far as my Christmas movies, I am saving “Love Actually” until closer to Christmas. My favorite! Tonight we are watching the classic “Christmas Carol” with George C. Scott. Super well done, I think. The spirit scenes are extremely well done, in my opinion. Our son has some technological issues with this movie, but I just don’t see them.

Anne: tell your grandson to send his portfolio to Damon. He is looking to hire some independent contractors. He is slammed with work. Not sure if he is looking for more work but just a thought. I don’t know if I believe you Anne. I don’t see you as a whiner. If you say that you feel bad, I believe you. You are probably used to being the one who takes care of others.

Lin: John and I have this very conversation about energy sources. Wave technology is being explored here. But would that work with all the fishing boats, large container barges, foreign vessels of all kinds, crab traps? How would that work with the ever changing shipping lanes at the mouth of the Columbia? I see problems with that. Very little strong sunlight here so that’s out. We have wind but we would have extreme moisture and atmospheric issues on the exposed machines. No obvious answer.

Jackie: hope things have become quite boring after such excitement recently. Please remain safely masked and away from all the drama.

Sandy: no kidding! You are Christmas personified! Thank goodness there are still people like you around.
    Patsy☘️
  • JillyBurg6
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I've not been out yet but Mary Jo and Mark who've just arrived say it is pretty wild. The trees with their squirrel nests are swaying. Our garbage men turn up very early on a Friday morning so I'm not sure about putting the dustbins out unless it calms down somewhat.

Mikes just sent me a BBC article about the rapid spread of the omicron virus in the UK and its pretty horrifying. I think 88,000 new cases today alone, 78,000 yesterday. It must be serious because the Queen has cancelled her Christmas lunch with her family members and if anyone is well protected I think the Royal Family would be. It will happen here of course, so I am glad Jilly is having her nail clip and check up tomorrow before everything shuts down again.

JACKIE you've had SUCH a rough week - virus's apart! and LIN I'm so vey glad you came through the storm unscathed!. LIN and SANDY I'm into calamine lotion - beloved when I was young, but honestly if I'd put it on my body a few days ago I would have been a pale pinkish blob all over and used the whole bottle. BUT whisper, whisper, today I really think I'm on the improve!
    I'm keeping an open mind about vaccine reactivation of the chickenpox virus, but it seems coincidental that three of us known people all got shingles within a few days of receiving the vaccine. Much younger than me the other two.

PATSY are you safe out there in the wild woods?

So here we all are up in Canada wondering if our family Christmas Day get together will be a no no. The government is asking people to think twice before boarding a plane. Maybe all flights around the world should be cancelled. What an outcry if that were to happen.
    Its my grandsons birthday tomorrow and he's requested a visit to The Keg to celebrate. Not me, I've declined!

I'm wondering if I should post this sort of gloom and doom post. Sorry girls, just a sign of the times.

Please stay safe!
    Anne.
    PS. The Keg celebration has been cancelled. Things ARE serious.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    What a day! When I let Betty and George into the garden first thing I pottered across to the hole in slippers and dressing gown to see how much it had filled with water and thankfully it didn’t look too bad but the pipe was definitely still leaking in spite of all the special cladding.
    After breakfast I walked the pooches round the block but George decided quite early to turn back.. I think he was still tired after yesterday’s excitement! Dan arrived, turned off the water at the main stopcock in the parking area, checked the pipe then drove to town for more tape. When he returned the farmer who lives a few fields away was waiting for him to ask what was happening because his and 3 other properties had no water. Turns out the pipe that runs across my garden goes all the way to theirs so yesterday when their water was cut off they phoned the water supplier but by pure coincidence, as an engineer arrived to speak to him, Dan at this end switched it back on!
    Back to this morning, more tape didn’t stop what was now a trickle of water so I told Dan I felt I should phone the water company, tell them what happened and insist that since I was unaware the pipe was there and it didn’t supply my property, they should not charge me for the repair. I went to get my phone as someone knocked on the door who turned out to be the engineer from the water company. What a great relief! I took him into the garden and Dan explained what he was trying to do and the wonderful engineer said that because it was obvious how hard he had been trying to stop the leak he would report back to the office that I shouldn’t be charged, especially since their maps don’t show the route across my garden. If it wasn’t for social distancing I would have hugged him and I think Dan would have too!
    A work gang will arrive first thing in the morning to replace the damaged section so I suggested Dan go home and start again tomorrow once it’s done because I think he was close to tears from pure relief.

A busy day tomorrow with all that going on, plus I have to get to the farm supply store for chicken and pet food I’m running out of, then walk Bella because Chrissie is due her annual check after previous Lymphoma treatment. Because Covid numbers are high again she was given the choice to have a phone consultation and a visit to her GP for bloods to be taken rather than have to travel to the main hospital in Plymouth and I got the feeling she’s feeling emotionally tired rather than physically as she worries about the results.

My understanding is this new variant is already in most countries but scientists are struggling to keep up with testing for it against the Delta Covid. All I know is it’s causing havoc in Britain yet again with businesses, schools and hospitals losing so many staff testing positive.

The Queen cancelled her family Christmas lunch last year too Anne so I think it’s more to do with being a good influence for the rest of us to follow rather than our politicians who keep getting caught holding parties in private when they shouldn’t!
    I took another look at the NHS website page about Shingles and yours is way past the time it should take to clear up. You weren’t given an antibiotic cream to put on the rash were you? According to the website that slows down the healing.

Patsy, I’m with you holding up George C Scott’s version of a Christmas Carol as the best made. Of course Damon’s work would affect his view of most movies because he’s bound to look beyond the storyline to the technicalities. My years as a vision mixer still influence me as silly little things on tv programmes that no one else would notice, annoy me! You know I will always wave a flag in support of cataract operations since mine went so well and made a huge difference to my life but do appreciate we all hold different opinions so won’t suggest John gets it done. Maybe read this comment out loud though!!

Sandy, I’m trying desperately not to even hum that song! Yes you are busy but please stay safe from wind and virus.

Lin, wind turbines are popping up all over our country and out to sea but then, although we get hefty gales at times they rarely reach hurricane status. We have so many threats to our energy supplies from outside sources I can see a time when we’ll be dealing with regular blackouts, whether it’s hackers or bullying countries withholding gas and oil. We think we are advancing technology but I sometimes think it leaves us all vulnerable. At least I can always collect a few logs to burn.

I’d better get to bed if I’m to have an early start with the work gang. Must remember to fill the kettle before they arrive so I can make them cups of tea!

Nite, nite
    Jackie
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Good luck with your nail clipping Jilly. Be a good girl!

8okn0q4a90kv.jpeg

Hugs from George, Betty and Brady (who says he always has sharp claws!).

• JillyBurg6
    Options
    Oh JACKIE! What a horrible year its been but you've had it especially bad. Poor Dan, he MUST have been close to tears.
    I've got a bit of good news, yesterday I actually began to feel better and I swear I am on the mend with intervals in between the itching and only the odd stab in my side, but its nothing compared to your year. I wasn't given anything, too far advanced when I realized I hadn't been stung by an insect.
    I'm reading what's happening in the UK with absolute horror and despite country water pipes running through village property I hope you are much safer than if you still lived in the London area. The medics here and the Gvt. are starting to panic. I will be very surprised if we are not in some sort of lockdown very soon because it is already happening. Apparently it is also happening across the border with numbers of ill folk rising across the states. We are online but I can tell you I am so grateful to have my unseen friends to chat to daily and dear friends please, please stay safe. I have my mask at the ready for Jilly's vet visit today, and will be so glad when she's all done and dusted.

Derek birthday supper is at home now. I think he fancied a pint at the pub. Oh PATSY, thank you so much for your kind suggestion!!! Apparently he is swamped with work as well. Mary Jo says he's a project manager whatever that means. Sounds impressive but probably isn't, lol. He works from home and Bev will be joining him as an online teacher as there is talk of no school after the Christmas break.

Mark got the long piece of wood cut out that runs down the stairs yesterday. the skirting board. I am so impressed with his work and he's SO PATIENT! Meanwhile, Mary Jo put a thin coating of cement on the bedroom floor to even things out and then he will replace the wooden floor when it dries. A long job but ever so slowly we are getting there.
    Jilly has a new game, she goes and collects a discarded milky bone and runs back to Mary Jo to toss it at her. Mary Jo then clenches it in one of her hands behind her backand Jilly has to sniff and decide which hand its in. I am SO glad I got Jilly especially now!

Well must away and put the dustbins out because we couldn't last evening because of the high winds.

Please stay safe Jackie, Patsy, John, Lin and Sandy and anyone else who might be reading this.
    Hugs from Anne.
  • JillyBurg6
    Options
    Lordy, Mark drove over to put the garbage out! He wanted to add and get rid of two garbage bags, our allowance, of rubble. It must be YEARS since he's seen me in pyjamas with my hair sticking out. Jilly was ecstatic. Oh to be young!
    Annsie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) No time as I am not going to funeral but meeting Lisa and two little ones at a movie.
    There were so many people at the wake that it took about a half hour to get to the casket and give my sympathy to my friend's daughter in law and her family. Everyone had a mask on so that was a good thing. I then met the two other girls who got there before me at a restaurant where we had a quick dinner. We felt that as long as we gave our respects last night it wasn't necessary to go to funeral today.
    The movie is a matinee which starts at 11 so there shouldn't be many people there. In fact I just looked at the seating again and I think we will be the only ones in the theater except for one other person.
    I have a nail appointment at 2:00 so I will leave after the movie to come home. Busy times.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    A chilly day but at least the sun is trying to break through the clouds. It managed just as it hit the horizon but goodness, it lifted my spirits because we’ve had too many grey days. I waited in for the work gang to arrive and that wasn’t until nearly 1030 but they got on with digging saying it was a pleasant change to have a job that didn’t require a digger. I was pleased too! At one point they looked across to the new patio next door, now covering the pipe in that garden, and said let’s hope it doesn’t spring a leak under that! It took a couple of hours to repair the damage so when I phoned Dan to tell him the water was back on and they had gone, I said it was up to him if he wanted to come over to dig the posts in but I was going out to walk Bella. When I got home from the walk there was no sign of him so I expect he’ll start again next week.

I’ve bought in plenty of dog and cat food as well as George’s frozen blocks so now just have to stock up on chicken and wild birds food, then a few groceries for me.

At least I managed to get a load of towels laundered overnight and almost dry on the rotary line outside so time now to strip my bed and put fresh bedding on so I’ll get another overnight wash done. Oven on and heating ready for a Cornish pasty for tonight’s meal.

Take care everyone. Mild symptoms or not, I don’t want to catch it!
    Jackie

• jwubben6600
    Options
    A cold and wet morning here. Nothing too unusual here in PNW. I used to get down in the dark winter days. Right now there are Christmas fairy lights everywhere. I love them. I might just keep them up all winter. And when I really need it, there is my happy lights. Intense lights that feel like I am sitting on the beach in full sun.

I have my holiday food plans and schedule for cooking. I do enjoy the interesting activity of cooking. I never really know if something is going to be great tasting or not. John is appreciating of my efforts. Hahaha! I have reminded him that it is very dangerous to criticize the cook!

Anne: nail clipping is terrifying for Katie. She is convinced we are trying to cut off her legs. She gets so upset I fear she will have a heart attack or stroke. She has to have a tranquilizer now. Our vet is very concerned about her emotional response. So the day before her appointment we are to pick up a couple pills at their office. This is beyond crazy! For cutting her toenails!

Jackie: you are indeed fortunate that the water engineer was so reasonable. I am not sure our local city and county water people would be understanding or reasonable. Not sure why…John says it is often true that people who have felt belittled will carry that anger when dealing with others. And we need them so badly.

Sandy: very busy time for you but I sense you are enjoying the activities. Not the sad passing of an Acquaintance but everything else. I love things like that but my dear old love only enjoys social activities every now and then. He is friendly but not social.

Lin: I’ll bet you will be showing us more Christmas tea pots. I was going to polish my ancient silver tea service to use on Christmas morning. Something very telling…I can’t find my silver polish. I guess it dried up from disuse! Or I used it all and forgot to replace .

Need to turn up the heat and get out the happy lights.
    Patsy☘️😎