Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) The sun is out and makes for a beautiful day. Still a little chilly but at least no rain.
    Of course the temps are going up to 80 next week because I am leaving. B) Great seeing the kiddos and Rob and Lisa. Will see them again Saturday for Communion and Sunday for Mother's Day and then not again for two weeks.

Anne, you made me laugh out loud!!!!

Lin, I like that shirt as well. lol

Picking Babe up this afternoon to spend the day. Will try to start changing his address and making some doctor's appointments for him. Let the fun begin.

Have a safe, dry and sunny day. (I hope)
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Sarcasm is the meanest and most distructive manner of communication. It erodes sincerity. But there is a fine line where it is funny yet without a barb. I have a family member that communicates with sarcasm. However all that aside I love Starwars and I used to have a Yoda doll. As a teenager our Damon used to speak in “Yoda.” No! Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.” Etc etc etc
    makes me smile to remember that special time. His room was filled with Starwars stuff.
    And off to laundry, and other charming tasks….a bit of sarcasm there.
    Patsy☘️🎾🦮🏋️‍♂️😏
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,086 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good evening. We had some sunshine and warmer weather so I finally got to begin potting up my seedlings. Yes!! But of course, the weather will turn once again. Several inches of rain may fall on us in the next few days and there’s a chance of severe weather. Argh.

I trust everyone had a good day. I spent quite a bit of time late this afternoon trying to answer questions about Facebook for my friend with the new phone. She is off with her niece to the phone store again tomorrow. Continued problems with her phone and they insist on a replacement phone. Oh, nothing like continued troubles with something new.

Well, tomorrow morning, I have an order to pick up at Walmart. Friday, I have an order at the Food Coop to pickup, and Saturday I will be taking electronics as well as paper to be shredded to a recycling event. I loaded my old TV in the back of my car this afternoon and I sorted out my old disconnected cell phone. Will bag the paper to be shredded soon and then will be ready to go.

Nothing else new.

Wishing everyone well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

e4gktgpc8kjl.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The sun finally pushed the shower curtains aside yesterday and spent the afternoon beaming down on us. He promises to do the same today. Still a little cool to plant the carrots etc but the forecast is it will warm up incredibly in a week at which point I will be moaning my head off because I am a moderate temperature gal just like PATSY.

Absolutely nothing spectacular to report. Grocery delivery day to excite the wee one.

I've been on THE PILLS for 6 days now and no side effects the worst being tongue swelling which could throttle one I guess. With the last pill it was 10 days before the blood vessels burst and found me in the emergency groping around with one seeing eye so I am a bit nervous waiting for 10 days to pass. It will be absolutely marvellous if all's well because I have to admit I am feeling a whole heap better right now.
    Doctor Tim Is restoring my faith in the medical profession because he takes his time, researches instead of blindly prescribing, and gives the impression he really cares. He said he really misses New Zealand [5th generation] so my only worry is if he takes off one day for his beautiful country.

Hi to everybody and apologies for a memo really just about me.
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,691 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good afternoon. I don’t think I posted yesterday but it was a busy time starting with a walk, then drive to my hairdresser in the next town. Halfway along the road that takes me to a main route I found my way barred by cones because resurfacing was taking place. No signs indicating a detour so I followed my nose along a lane that became narrower than my car until I decided it best to turn back and try another way. Just in time because as I reversed into a field entrance a Range Rover came along from the way I had been going and I’m not sure who would have ended up reversing for a half mile. I did find a friendlier route, had my hair cut quite short then stopped off on the way home for bags of top soil to fill the raised beds. They weren’t large bags and 30 litres doesn’t indicate much but thankfully I was able to reverse to get close to the stack, avoiding displays of garden furniture, because they were heavy. Home again and wheelbarrowed one at a time from the car, along the footpath then unsteadily down my terraced garden! They are now leaning against the beds while the horse manure breaks up.

Today is another busy one that began with an early grocery shop, where the cashier said how much she liked my dark pink hair streaks, then a walk and now pottering in my garden.
    I thought of Patsy when I sighted these dandelions about to send their clock counting seeds everywhere!
    9z02nznbcwmg.jpeg

It’s the first warm day of the year and although hazy sunshine, it’s perfect. The hens have been shouting most of the afternoon as they each lay an egg so they must be as happy as me! Tomorrow I have to wait in for a delivery of special small sized downpipes and fittings to divert rainwater off one side of the greenhouse into a large container sitting near the new beds. Then I’m all set to begin planting seedlings. 👩🏻‍🌾

I’m trying to follow Connie’s belief that I agree with; smaller meal midday. Trouble is I’m too busy to stop! See what the scales tell me in the morning!

Almost time for a cup of tea but I’ll drag another bag of horse manure to the veggie plot first. Fabulous teapot and jug Lin… my favourite era for design.
    Enjoy Thursday everyone.
    Jackie

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Happy Cinco de Mayo to all. Today I will prepare a traditional Mexican meal for dinner. Of course, there will be cauliflower rice, lo-cal/lo-carb tortillas and we'll skip the refried beans. I will stuff the tortillas with chicken and serve all on a bed of shredded lettuce with chopped tomatoes. OK. so maybe not so traditional.

Our backyard is filled with Orioles and they have driven most of the resident Cardinals into hiding. Occasionally we see Grossbeaks, finches, and Indigo Buntings. They have eaten us out of grape jelly, oranges and there is one block of suet left in my stash. Guess it is time for a run to the farm supply store.

I am so tired of rain. Our backyard is a soggy mess made worse by the antics of two big dogs.

gq6q36f500sn.jpg

The Collie is our Sadie. Max is a five-month old puppy that is with us for one week. He is a big galoot and giving Sadie a run for her money.

Connie - Pomona, MO, US
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good day. I tried to do a bit of shopping this morning. I picked up my little Walmart order. The lady who brought it out remarked that my order was small and the items weren’t heavy. A favorite combination for her. I would agree if it was my job.

I parked my car and went inside the store. The doors were locked by the garden center so I walked down to a main entrance in the rain. I walked about in the lawn and garden area. They did not have any little plastic pots that would work for my seedlings. So, the seedlings will remain where they are for now. Maybe they will end up their outdoors containers soon. I was able to purchase two additional bags of potting soil. That makes my total for the season at 4. Progress!

Tonight is the first farmers market but with the cold and drizzle, I will pass this week. I was hoping for better weather as it has been years since I have been there. But the trip to the coop tomorrow will be interesting.

I dehydrated some parsley yesterday and I think I will cut chives and try those this afternoon. I know, such excitement. 😁

Connie, your Cinco de Mayo menu sounds tasty. Enjoy it. I am giggling. Max looks quite playful! A week may be just the right amount of time to look after him.

Jackie, my gosh, lots of bags to lug about to fill the raised beds. Your wheelbarrow got lots of use! I have bags of water softener salt to carry down to the basement. I will leave the bags of potting soil in the garage until I am ready to fill some containers out on the deck. I am hoping for some sunshine at some point in the next few days. Do you have your seedlings outdoors part of the time to harden them off? I have had the larger plants outside but not 24 hours a day.

Anne, grocery day. Well, what arrived today? Glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope that continues. Hello to Jilly.

Need to get moving. Best wishes everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

sq0ui2lw20ly.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Cinco de Mayo everyone! We are having a Mexican dinner tonight as well, Connie. I may include pinto beans but not as retries. I even use Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream. Since it is just John and me, tradition is sort of a manner of interpretation. I would love to add a dollop of fiery chili but John would just keel over at the thought.

Reading about all you gardeners, I am so impressed. We are still knee deep in mud and rain. I am not a gardener as I have said. In fact I am still contacting landscape companies to redo several flower beds.

Dandelions are so sweet. No matter what, they thrive. Just like our vicious blackberries. Nothing deters them. They overcome all hazards and difficulties. They teach us life lessons.

Damon is to come this weekend. If the network picks up his pilot TV series, he will be crazy busy. But it seems to be what he wants, so fingers crossed.

We are all boosterized except for Damon. So far they have not okayed people in his age group. But the TV production is so careful. They test and demand everyone but actors and director wear masks. I can see we are going to go back to masks in and out door here in Oregon. Cases are happening way too frequently.

Jackie: our neighborhood chickens are celebrating spring as well. We do have a rooster in the neighborhood that is very vocal and proud of himself. He is up and on the job way before daybreak. You have really put together an amazing veggie garden. The variety of things you are growing is wondrous! I wonder if your awful allotment dictator has noticed the declining numbers of gardeners? I can’t imagine people putting up with him much longer.

Anne: any sign of your new neighbors? Curious with the way houses are selling you haven’t seen a parade of “looky-Lous.” I confess to doing that. I saw a local house for sale and I just popped in to look around. The local market is beyond understanding. The tiniest little unkept shack is selling for a half million dollars

Connie: beautiful dogs! Have you been advised to remove bird feeders etc. because of this avian flu that is causing such drama? I hope you can keep feeding your wild birds. You seem to know so much about the various species.

Lin: I have an old TV downstairs. To get it upstairs and out into the car or van is going to be a real tussle. I hope Damon will take this on at some point. But only when he has time. His visits are so hurried, I do want to fill his time with tasks. He will let us know when and if…..
    Time for another mug of coffee and I must do the dreaded exercises. “Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone” 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶 Bobby Blue Bland or some Freddy Fender Mexican music would be good today. “Wasted Days and Wasted nights”. Makes the exercises go faster and with less boredom..
    Patsy☘️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Busy day….good night.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    After one day of warm sunshine we are back to overcast and cool. Last night I had set the washing machine to switch on around 4am when electricity rates are lower but then saw a forecast for rain at some point so before I went to bed, switched it off. Hah, that rain is no longer forecast! Tonight it will be switched on whatever.
    A disappointing weigh in this morning with no real change. I weighed my breakfast cereal and only added a few blueberries and small dollop of Greek yogurt and if I’m still waiting for my delivery of rain pipes, apparently between 10 and 3, lunchtime will be my main meal.

Patsy, My friend Linda is on her way driving to Scotland where she will take the ferry to the Isle of Mull and spend the rest of the month watching otters and eagles but has already got herself upset over an email from the bully that arrived yesterday. I’ve messaged her suggesting she ignore it until she gets home but the sad thing is, such controlling people don’t know how to stop. It’s a personality disorder but as more people who only want to grow veggies in their own fashion leave because of him, rents will dry up and perhaps then the local authority will take notice of what’s happening. Interestingly, my plot has become a beautiful wildlife haven for bees, butterflies and birds because I haven’t weeded or dug, other than a few plants to bring home or gift to others. The bully hasn’t said a word, nor has he asked the local council to write a letter of complaint so I’m guessing standing up to him in the past has worked!

Lin, so far the only hardening off my seedlings have experienced has been when I’ve left my greenhouse door open during the day. I’m going to plant out a couple of courgette (zucchini) sturdy plants this weekend and have spares if it al, goes horribly wrong!
    Here are my 2 pooches enjoying yesterday’s late sunshine. As you can see, George isn’t always a fan!
    q4pypxcg9386.jpeg

Coffee finished so I’ll find something constructive to do.
    Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Busy afternoon yesterday. Mark and Mary Jo came over and pruned the front apple tree. Sadly I may lose both trees next year because of old age and with signs of fungi. They are both over 40 years old. I was in the back digging over my new veg plot again and removing stray lilies because I missed the roots the first time. Then I hopefully sowed a few seeds of the hardier kind, beetroot etc. Two little tomato plants had a sniff of outside air before being brought back inside overnight.

I was very stiff from all this activity but daren't take an Advil which is barred because of the BP pill. However, I'm feeling better already so will be out there again later to do a bit more digging, weeding.

Darren came over to talk to us. Interestingly, his wife Catherine and two daughters who are vaccinated have been very ill with Corvid, whilst Darren who refused vaccination didn't catch it from them. All his close workmates caught it, but not Darren. They are visiting Catherines parents in Cambridge, UK soon and Darren is quite annoyed because he has to be vaccinated to step on the plane.

So ended a very busy day and my 6th day of taking the BP pill with no side effects so far, cross fingers.
    Mind you it is half strength at the moment to see what happens.
    Anne.
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    7th day of pill taking and I haven't keeled over. The garbage lads took piles of ditch lilies and tree branches away, but, I have to give them credit, a string snapped on one of the twig bundles. Twigs everywhere on the road, but they picked all the debris up.
    Its a bit chilly outside with a cool wind blowing and I'm debating whether to go out and do a bit more digging and the planting of a few hardy seed potatoes. So far a cup of tea and the sofa are winning. We are in Zone 6 for American continent planting so things can wait a while. Just above us in zone 7 there are less than 100 growing days but we have 130-160 days. I've just read don't plant tomatoes outside before May 20th. Okay!

Everything arrived as requested on my order this week LIN. Just a slightly broken egg but because I'm cheap, and really just cracked within its box, I fried it up on a slice of toast for mid morning break. Waste not, want not, as they say.

Now shall I venture forth or not......

Anne.
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Spuds planted with Jilly's help.
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello! A wet afternoon but not super cold…that is a plus! And so Mother’s Day weekend begins. I have made Katie’s chicken and rice. I will add carrots as soon as I cook them. And I am going to bake an apple-raisin sugarless pie for John and Damon. It is done as a sort of nod to my mom. She would bake a pie for almost any occasion. I have been thinking a lot about her lately. She had her strengths and there were issues like in every family.

Things are leafing out and blooming and growing. Spring is here. It reminds us that God is in his heaven and all is right with the world. Sort of….our local wild life experts are in a quandary about feeding wild birds. They need extra food because of lost habitat etc. but this Asian flu is devastating to domestic chickens, ducks geese. So what is one to do? Yes or no?

I have been reading about new discoveries in the Antarctic. Ancient lakes etc under the ice. Things are not quite as we thought concerning the Antarctic. Interesting!

Jackie: Betty looks so adorable sitting in her command chair watching the gardening happen. George the security officer is still on duty. I feel like they are part of the family. I love all our sneaker pets.

Sandy: a lot happening in your world. Adjustments will be happening. I’ll wager you will be up for the tasks at hand. Stay safe and take deep cleansing breaths. That’s what Damon keeps telling me. “Breathe, Mom! Embrace the change.”

Anne: you are amazing my dear gardening sneaker. You accomplish so much by your ability to keep pushing forward. I’ll bet your veggie garden will produce huge results and you will have so much joy harvesting your little crops.
    Love to all,
    Patsy☘️🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷❤️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello Sneakers. I am just stopping by for a moment to say hello. My sinuses have gone wild again and I have the head of all headaches.

Going to try to close my eyes and rest.

Wishing everyone well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

qwnguelniapa.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Oh Lin! I am so sorry you are feeling bad. I hope you can get some rest. I understand about allergies and sinus congestion. It is a nasty plague that happens…..why? Who knows? Thinking of you dear friend.
    Patsy☘️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Another busy day. Got my nails done, then picked up Babe while I finished the laundry.
    Spent most of the days online changing his address to mine on all of his accounts. Not an easy job and kept having to ask Cheryl for logins and passwords so I could change them. Just brought him home and heading to bed early since I have to be up bright and early to pick up Bryanna and get to Rob and Lisa's by 9:40am. Not an easy task for lazy me. I hope your day was wonderful and once in Florida I will be able to get back to responding to everyone.

Good night.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    LIN, I do hope you are feeling much better today. Mary Jo had the same problem when they pruned the apple tree. Feel for you both.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday! 😀 Robby Communion this morning. Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Happy Saturday all round!
    Lin, I do hope you are feeling better and managed to shake off that awful headache.
    Sandy, have a wonderful time with family at Robby’s Communion.
    Patsy, I know for sure you will love having Damon visit with you both.
    Then there’s Anne, the spud queen, cracking on with that veggie garden. 👩🏻‍🌾

We had a beautiful walk across the moor before it became too warm for George. So peaceful, it made me especially glad to still be able to climb to the top where I could hear a cuckoo but nothing else… bliss!
    8a7dgbx2iy2m.jpeg

Since then I’ve planted courgettes and had lunch on the patio of crisp bread, Edam cheese and an apple. The Azaleas are full of scent and a small amount of rain last night has everything sitting up.
    tsi2j714c5sz.jpeg

Next job is to trim the Bay tree in the raised bed that is creating too much shade. I will do my best to shape it into a lollipop!

I hope everyone enjoys the day as much as I plan to.
    Jackie 🥰