Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Morning all!
    Quickie because Mark just showed up. He's misting the concrete in the basement. This has to be done three times a day for 3 days apparently. Presumably to stop the outside drying too quickly before the bottom in a basement floor. Then I'm expecting Michael any minute before he carries on to work. Out of his way, but Jilly must have her treats, lol. A portion of which is my mothers day gift. Its 8:44 here and it's all go before the day has hardly begun.
    Oh PATSY, reading your post I had to look up your remarks about Lake Mead. Oh my goodness not a pleasant read just before bedtime! I wonder if the Great Lakes are the same!!!!! Drinking water as well! But there again in a way we are drinking dinosaur pee! Definitely breathing recycled oxygen. Doesn't that put one off ones morning cup of tea!
    It will be awfully quiet when both sons depart although I expect Mark will be back after his back therapy to re-mist.
    Have a good day! but don't read about Lake Mead, lol.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,087 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!

The sun is out, the temperature is climbing….it is expected to be even warmer than yesterday. We had quite a few storms overnight. Actually, I took out a tiny bag of trash to add to my cart at the curb last evening around 8:30 or so. OMG, such odd lightning cutting through the clouds at odd angles as the clouds seemed to be drifting slowly closer. During the wee hours, rain pounded down.

I have laundry to do today and I am debating whether to try to get my second Covid booster today. I don’t have an appointment. We will see.

Nothing much new otherwise. Trying to take care of my seedlings. Started cleaning out another cabinet yesterday. 👀

Anne, enjoy the time with the boys and thank goodness Michael is bringing dear Jilly her treats. Oh, and I have read the story about Lake Mead. That is why water plants treat our water before we receive it. 😁

Jackie, sorry about the low battery. That happens to me too from time to time.

Patsy, I watched a video or two of those silly boys! 😂🤣😂

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

zn34e0hqfzvl.jpeg

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    I am so blessed! Mike rolled up with Jilly's dog treats and a bottle of port from her and a bottle of sherry from him. AND his friend Sandy sent me a straw hat with a blue ribbon! Unbelievable Mothers Day!

Anne, still pretty shocked, but in a very nice way!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) "Leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again." I will be posting from Jacksonville, Florida, the sunshine state although it is hot and humid here and I had to put on my air even though I didn't want too. My daughter posted this morning: She arrived safely in Alaska.

24 hours of travel time, 4 flights, including one diversion to Edmonton Canada, one death on the airplane, a four hour wait in Edmonton while we waited for a new flight crew and four weary travelers! Hopefully the rest of our Alaskan adventure goes off without a hitch. And our condolences to the woman on the loss of her companion of 7 years, who had a heart attack in the seat across the aisle. Our friend, Norm, was one of the men that rotated giving chest compressions for over an hour until our plane landed.

I hope I never experience that trauma. I don't have time to post to each of you but I will when I am in Florida.
    Enjoy your day and keep staying healthy.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    End of another day gardening 👩🏻‍🌾. Our walk on the moors first thing was cold but luckily, as I was locking the door to head off with the pooches, I felt a nip in the air so popped back indoors to change into a warmer jacket. At least it meant I walked quickly as we climbed so both legs and lungs were exercised! I drove into town before coming home to buy treats for the pets and had a mutter to myself as I waited in a queue while the customer in front was persuaded to pay via the latest all singing method using her Bluetooth and phone. Hardly progress if it takes so long another assistant has to be found to serve the ever increasing line of customers! Moan over. 🙃
    This afternoon the sun appeared and warmed us so I’ve planted out dwarf French beans in neat rows and covered them by extending the netting protecting kale from pigeons. We are promised heavy rain tomorrow but it should remain mild.

I’ve just purchased a pair of Polaroid sunglasses online because both pairs I’ve been using are getting tired. One falls off my nose while the other doesn’t do a good job of protecting my eyes but I was amused to see how much Gucci and Pravda designs cost.., way out of my league!

Everyone sounds cheerful and I think we can safely say Winter has finally disappeared. A Song thrush has spent most of the day sitting on the top of the highest tree singing his heart out so he definitely knows Spring has sprung!

Yesterday evening I made a rather rushed soya chilli with chopped tomatoes and butter beans that turned out to be delicious. Leftovers tonight!

Hooray Anne, you’ve got the straw hat you wanted! 👩🏻‍🌾

Bon voyage Sandy (again! 😆)

Goodness Lin, you do experience wild weather don’t you. 😯 Are you in Iowa? I’ve been sipping my afternoon cuppa and reading about the loss of topsoil in that State, or what was called black gold at the start of the 20th century when it was 14-18” deep. By the end of the century there was only 6-8” and a lot of that’s due to storms in 2014 that washed so much away because deep ploughing exposes the soil. I’m contemplating what’s called a No Dig strategy because apparently every little bit helps but that might need more weeding!

Stay safe everyone. Of course, I will now have to look up Lake Mead Patsy! 🥴

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Our Sandy found the hat and it is a bit large as in drop down to your eyes, but a hair grip should anchor it and I was never one to look a gift horse in the mouth JACKIE! Very Grateful! Wasn't she kind picking it up on one of her shopping trips and thinking of me, bless her.
    Are you really going to look up Lake Mead? At your [pink] peril. I noticed BBC have taken up the story. Anne.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Hmmm, yes Anne, found the Lake Mead story on the BBC App. Goes to prove there are so many things wrong with Las Vegas! More barrels to be found! What a shame your straw hat is a bit too large as you won’t want it across your eyes when nurturing your veggies. Sounds like the two wide brimmed hats I bought from a supplier in Australia after my melanoma diagnosis. Big brims mean big heads!
    Jackie
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed the picture of the dogs. Sadie, our collie, came to us as a puppy. She had been struck by a vehicle and left to die on the side of a highway. A patrolman spotted her, scooped her up and took her to my vet and then on to a rescue where I was a volunteer. I fell in love with the wee thing and after a stay in hospital and surgery to repair broken bones took her home as a foster. That was over six years ago. We simply couldn't let her go. I mislabeled the other dog - his name is Gus, not Max. His owners picked him up and took him home, but he doesn't want to stay there. We've discovered him back at our door two days in a row. The owners are a young couple who really don't have time for a dog, and they are now trying to rehome him.

Reading resent posts, I've realized how out of touch I am with the folks in the group, so I clicked and clicked and went back to December 2021 and read forward. Some of you have had major changes in your lives, both good and not so good but most of what was shared over the past five or six months has passed. Time goes on and, overall, doesn't have much of an impact.

What did stand out to me are the people who are not here. In the beginning, I kept a log of the people who came and went including their names, their locations and a line or two about their personalities. There were as many as forty individuals. I looked through the hundreds of documents I have on this laptop only to realize the log is probably on my office computer downstairs. Two that stand out in my mind are Marie, and Buzz.

I may not become a regular here but will certainly pop in from time to time.

Connie, Pomona, MO
  • Sandydur
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Happy Wednesday from Florida. :) Had a wonderful flight here with my niece, her husband and her brother. The flight attendants were so funny and so friendly, one even bought us a drink. It is beautiful here and the weather is perfect. h31opgu1yq9r.jpeg
    imkdzqaolspf.jpeg
    Dexter slept with me last night and I loved every minute.g1yfw1ga4rqj.jpeg

I will be sitting by the pool soon and enjoying the peace and quiet.
    Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

Connie, you do know both Marie and Buzz passed, don’t you?
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Gorgeous day here. 68 degrees and very sheltered and warm in the back garden. I'm having home grown asparagus for supper. I've never cut it for eating before, - rather liking the lovely foliage for cut flowers, but here goes. No pool SANDY but I am sitting in the garden enjoying the peace and quiet in my new sun hat. All is quiet next door. The daughter of the house told me they move out at the end of July. Exactly one year since moving in. Who are the new people? She could only tell me she thought it was a family which of course it would be with 4 bedrooms.
    Jilly has chased two squirrels so far.
    And thats all from me, lazy Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cloudy but dry so far today. A bit chilly. We are really having a very late and chilly spring. Our Portland TV station has kept a log of our temps and so far this is the coldest and latest spring they have on record. Here on the coast, I think we are even colder and wetter than the rest of Oregon.

Damon comes this Saturday and we are looking forward to his visit. He is such a great guy. But he needs a partner or life mate. He dates often, even now, during the pandemic he had a supply of rapid tests that he and date used before cooking dinner together and watching a home movie. That is pandemic dating by the way. Being a normal mom, I keep wanting him married with children. So far that is not how he rolls! Bwahahahaha. After selling his big house, he rented a smaller place. His landlady is very taken with him and keeps introducing him to single grand daughters etc. Damon laughs that none of them are outdoorsy or is interested in sailing! No sale!

Yea! John has made contact some landscapers and is really going to start hiring some work done around here. He loves it here but rural living takes a lot of work. I also like living here. Katie is ready for anything as long as she can play ball and bark at strangers, dogs, cats, deer, birds and often nothing at all.

Anne: I have a large hat similar to what you describe. I put a folded layer of cloth inside the hat band to make it fit snug. A friend of mine had a beautiful rain hat and to make it her size, she did the same only she had to take few stitches of matching color in her inside hatband. Anyway, a great hat is hard to find.

Jackie: lake Powell is another recreational area that is hard hit by this drought. These are special areas that were man made lakes that are really resavours for large cities or for agriculture. It was quite controversial at the time. These are sand stone canyons with Native American art and ancient ruins. Boating and swimming in these areas are magical.

Sandy: oh my! That Dexter is adorable. Am I right? He appears to be an older little guy? I think you will enjoy this visit. Doggie, pool, sun, and warm dry days! You will return with a tan and rested after a very busy few months. Perfect!

Lin: your weather sounds very scary. I know you have identified an area to go when things are looking too scary. You have a cot, maybe a pillow and quilt, a flashlight, a bottle of water and maybe a small sack of nibbles and book to read. Anyway, that’s what I would do.

Connie: I was never acquainted with Marie but I did know Buzz. Both of these ladies have passed now, but are still with us in spirit. Buzz had the cutest Bostonian accent with a sort of classic Jewish way of expression. She cut right to the chase and was extremely wise. I never met her in person but we spoke on the phone on several occasions. We exchanged political cartoons. Sounds like this visiting dog has adopted you. Go with it….I WISH WE HAD GOTTEN TWO PUPPIES WHEN WE GOT OUR KATIE. I don’t think I could summon the energy to raise a puppy now. But I do love dogs of all kinds.
    Patsy☘️🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

• jacAth3
    edited May 2022
    Options
    We had some welcome rain first thing so everything looks refreshed. I didn’t walk until I could see it was clearing then we set off across the moors again. Boy, was it cold; more like Winter! On the way home I stopped at the allotments to check Linda’s plot was alright and water plants in a cold frame. Just in time because her sons hadn’t visited since she went to Scotland so pots were bone dry. Before coming home I walked to my plot and delighted in the wildlife haven it has become amongst so many sterile plots.
    zcd4kofeihlw.jpeg

I’ve no doubt that on the day I depart the bully will arrive to cut everything down to the ground and pollinators will fly away!

My friend Pat has been looking at holiday cottages in Northumberland for us to rent in September and sent me a long list to go through. Too many look like my cottage so not much of a break but I’m sure we will find somewhere we both love. We chatted on FaceTime for most of the afternoon so nothing else achieved!

Lin, I caught up with Dan and family videos this evening. Yesterday in London to deliver visa papers then today they’ve flown back to Poland and Krakow to collect their car and puss cat Pumpkin but also a trip round other Eastern European countries. They look well and Veronica has gained more confidence and become more chatty.

Patsy, I saw this picture online when investigating the effects drought is having. That’s a huge amount of water that’s disappeared!
    jmh4ir2snm0z.jpeg

Connie, We all miss Buzz with her wise words. She and I often private messaged about politics then chatted on the phone once she became bedridden. Marie was a delightful lady that I would sometimes chat to on Skype while she sat in her sewing room, then there was Phoebe with all her cats and Judy in New Zealand. “Ships that pass in the night!”

Lucky you Sandy! It looks beautiful where you are staying. Now relax and soak it all up!

Wow Anne, I didn’t know you grew asparagus. There’s a knack to producing delicious spears so seems your green fingers are working still.

9pm and getting dark so I’ll move from my garden room and warm up in the snug.
    Jackie 🥰
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Sandy - Yes, I knew Buzz and Marie had passed away - it's been some time now. I didn't know about Phoebe, and Judy (New Zealand). I guess it is inevitable to lose some of our Sneakers. I know you just hit the big 8-oh, and I will be 81 in July. It is tough when a person is still 35 in their head.

Patsy - I thought about offering to take Gus, but it just wouldn't be fair. He is a big, energetic puppy and I am finding it difficult to care for Sadie as it is.

Speaking of finding it difficult to care for things, I am so envious of all of you who are still able to be out in your gardens. Mine are showing the effects of neglect. We had a huge mound of mulch delivered, and I did manage to drop a pile here and there using the bucket on our big tractor but pushing and raking it into place leaves my legs weak and my breathing labored. I can manage about five minutes at a time and with three acres to care for, it just isn't going to get done.

• linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello. A busy day here although not particularly exciting I guess. I did get an appointment for the second booster Covid shot. That’s out of the way now. A quick trip to the gas station to fill up my little hybrid. I was surprised that the cost per gallon had increased $.23 per gallon since last Friday. Luckily I only needed a bit over 3 gallons. My first real shock as that cost almost $14. I know, get used to it. Grocery prices ever upward, got it so just another thing to absorb.

Also picked up some books at the library and spoke to one of the librarians I know about activities for adults. Not feeling encouraged about attending things. The rooms they are using for adults are too small, small children are allowed to accompany their mom/guardian and of course, they cannot be vaccinated at this point, and finally no masks are in use in the building. (I wore one. No problem being an odd duck.)

The remainder of the day was trying to sort through all sorts of online account issues and the never ending Windows update of my laptop. One of our largest clinic medical systems has shifted invoicing procedures. You just get a bill. A total with no idea what is included or if any services received have not been invoiced. I tried to sort through things online and honestly there is nothing you can do except pay your bill—the amount they say you owe. I haven’t received any EOB from Medicare or my insurance carrier. So we are just trusting providers to be 100% accurate?

Another update on the upcoming banking switch with my credit card. Surprise, any recurring monthly bill that attempts to process on or after the 19th will be denied. That’s it. So I went in and deleted that credit card on the one account where I use it and added information from a different card. I had hoped to not really use that card often, keeping the information pretty much to myself. Okay, that is sorted.

One of my banks changed domain names from .com to .bank and it was supposed to be seamless. 😁😄😁😄😁😁 Right. I had to search for the bank, set my location and then establish my online banking again. Wow, that was not my idea of seamless.

And a friend wanted information about the coop. I wrote a nice long email and encouraged her to use the link I sent to see all the details for herself. Last week she wanted information on the more organic grocery stores in the area that I frequent. I think that’s about it, what else could I know?

Sandy, beautiful place to stay! The doggie seems quite lovely and well mannered. Or maybe you aren’t showing us any rambunctious or naughty photos? 😁. I hope the weather will be great and that you will spend loads of time at the pool.

Jackie, yes, I caught up on the Bakers as well including Pumpkin. Back in the car again. Looking forward to bits and pieces from them on various cities that they visit. I have forgotten how many weeks they plan to travel…..one? Two? I like the scarecrow in that garden. Not yours? Nice of you to get there and save your friend’s plants.

Anne, I didn’t realize you had an asparagus bed either. Excellent. I remember going to the garden, on the farm, pulling rhubarb stalks and carefully cutting asparagus. Definitely spring! Well, it will be another surprise when the new family shows up. I hope they will be good neighbors with no bad cooking smells or loud music/yelling etc.

Patsy, I am sorry, I though your son was going to visit last weekend. Duh. A few days and he will be there this time. We did not have any storms last night but it is less certain tonight but perhaps more likely Thursday night. I will be waiting to set out my tiny plants until at least Saturday but may fill a few containers with potting soil so I can plant some seed. Very glad to hear John has agreed to some help. Well done!

Connie, yes, not a huge group here now. When I first joined, it took a while to become acquainted with everyone and their backgrounds and interests. I still miss Phoebe, Shirley, Jeri, Phyllis and several others. Sometimes I see them on Facebook. I used to send cards to Buzz and sometimes we spoke on the phone. Marie had another group on MFP and I stopped by there from time to time. She was the one keeping it going though and when they found out she had passed away, no one ever posted again.

Well, time for me to run along. Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

l7dvwsmpy0u1.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Just to clarify Connie. Phoebe and Judy are still on Facebook just not on our forum.
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Quick good morning everyone because it is grocery day and one never knows what time the grocery chap will turn up. Usually early. Mike says thats good because my order will be nice and fresh being the first on his rounds.

I think Buzz kept in touch with us all outside of MFP, e-mails in my case CONNIE. Politics and advice on where to buy online clothes in the states. Lovely, lovely talented lady, sadly missed by us all and dear Marie as well. I loved Phoebe and her reports, plus Shirley and Jeri. Ah well, busy lives and it takes time to fill everyone in every day.

I'm rushing around because not only the grocery man but Mark will be over as well now the heavy stuff is out the way downstairs and he can now put walls back, and do the floor which he told me yesterday will be a wooden floor with a rug. Nice. I think though he is going to sort out my back entrance first with wall replacement down the stair well and a paint job and won't that be nice! Lovely to walk in and not look at insulation, slowly but surely despite bad backs, eczema, shingles, vaccinations, High BP, etc etc we are getting there.

I haven't an asparagus bed LIN, more two very large clumps in the border, but enough for 2 or 3 meals now I'm a veggie grower. LOVE your old allotment plot JACKIE, so pretty. I don't blame Damon and my Mike remaining happy bachelors PATSY. They are sort of "kings of the road" doing what they please to do. Thats if he can find the cash in Mikes case. Mark is my rarity. Two peas in a pod him and Mary Jo. And SANDY having a lovely time in Florida and thoroughly enjoying the pool and a new dog friend. Now the little grands are growing up maybe one day you will relocate?

ANNE, off for a shower.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Thursday already… where do the weeks go? Breakfast was skipped so that I could get our walk in at a reasonable time but then, when we arrived in the car park, I saw Heather, who now has Bella, so we stopped to chat then another dog walker with his 2 pooches so 10 minutes was spent catching up. Luckily the man told us about a cow and her calf hidden amongst the gorse because when I reached the area he pointed to, it looked as if the calf had just been born because there were signs on the ground which George took far too much interest in! I put his lead on and dragged him away. On our way back to the car I saw 3 more walkers I know but too far away to do anything but wave.

Sorry if my previous post read that Phoebe and Judy were no more, only meant no longer using MFP. I don’t think Facebook was around when I joined but over time most of our group moved away to it because they spent more time on it. Certainly Shirley and Phoebe said as much.

Connie, my cottage garden is small and I rarely achieve all the jobs I’d like. The end of it was renamed my wild bottom as an excuse for it’s often shambolic state. Three acres would finish me in no time, even with the use of a tractor!

Lin, that scarecrow is on the plot next door and did make me smile, in fact I sent the photo to my friend Linda saying how much it looks like our friend the bully who also wears a big, silly hat! I can’t remember how long the Bakers plan to tour but imagine it will take a couple of weeks. Perhaps they will visit Victoria’s family in Moldova because I do remember Romania is on their route and that’s next door.

Hello, I see Anne just snuck in ahead of me! I will read her post then get on with some chores. The longest list of Northumberland holiday lets must be viewed then I’ll need to make boarding plans for George and Betty.

Stay safe everyone. My friend Pat told me yesterday she was suffering after her 2nd booster that had brought back symptoms but when I asked why have the booster when she’s just got over Covid I didn’t get a straight answer other than it was offered by her GP. I shall think long and hard even though I’ve avoided it so far. Like Lin, I still wear a mask in stores, never mind what others do,

Jackie 🥰

• Sandydur
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Happy Thursday!😀Another relaxing day by the pool with Dexter. Might have a shower but they pass quickly according to my daughter. I am going to my niece’s for dinner and games Saturday, she lives about 15 minutes from here. I am also going to take my grandson and his girl out for dinner one night. Taking my time in the sun as to not to burn and I use sunscreen.

Jackie, your friend should be immune for at least a few months after having Covid. I wonder if she told the pharmacist that she just had Covid. I still wear a mask as well but I do wish you would get your booster seeing as you are going to be traveling.Just my opinion take it for what it’s worth.

Anne, Dexter is like Jilly as far as barking at every little thing. He has a doggy door so he is in and out all day scaring off whatever he hears. Lol Florida is not a state I would like to live, it gets too hot in the summer and I really can’t stand their Governor or politics. I think I will be in Illinois for the rest of my life.

Lin, I also had sticker shock the last time I bought gas. The cost of living is ridiculously high right now, but we have been through it before and we will do it again. Sounds like a nightmare with your banking situation. Dexter is well behaved and sooo loveable. His only fault is barking but whenI am outside with him he is too busy playing to bark.

Connie, age is just a number, I agree I feel 35 in my head but my body says different. My biggest problem is that I don’t have the strength I used to have especially in my hands and arms. I can’t pick up the kids anymore and have trouble opening bottles.

Patsy, no Dexter will be two in July. He just has a little white beard that makes him look older. Lol He loves to play andI hope to post a video of him in the pool later today.

Sure is harder to type and post on my IPad compared to my computer. Have a great day, I know
    I will.

Sandy

One Day at a Time.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello. Another very hot day. The storms stayed North of us last evening but again, they are saying there is a possibility of severe weather overnight. I had a nice long conversation with a friend who is preparing to go to a camping convention for the type of camper that she and her husband own. He has recovered quite well from his cancer surgery and this will be their first camping trip with BOTH of their cats since they just added to the family over the winter.

I also heard from a friend who revealed that she and a friend went to the tulip festival on Saturday (in Pella Iowa) and she didn’t take care of herself and ended up in the hospital with dehydration. Apparently that was all or she isn’t saying more. Her friend looked after her on Saturday and her son took over and made sure she continued to recover. Wow, we do need to keep drinking fluids when out in the heat and sun. She refuses to wear a hat which might have been a contributing factor.

Connie, sorry, I did not see your post yesterday. It is difficult to realize you are unable to do everything we took for granted when we were younger. Wishing you all the best!

Anne, okay, not an asparagus bed but several clumps. That is certainly good enough for one person. I hope you received the groceries you had on your list. Hello to Mark! Another busy day at your homestead. ❤️😁❤️

Jackie, darn, that scarecrow would be a real plus in any garden space although the fact it may look like the mean guy makes it less attractive. Happy sorting through all the potential accommodations. May you find something just right for both of you. I haven’t had Covid but when I had that doctor’s appointment, he said get the second booster. Do not wait until Fall. That was one of the few things that he recommended that I actually did. 😁 The reasoning perhaps that by Fall we will have a different variant so a different cocktail in the vaccinations.

Sandy, happy sunny day once again. Gosh, will you be bored with continual sunny warm weather by the pool? 😄😁😄. Hello Dexter.

Patsy, there are a number of news reports about the astounding draw down of water in the huge reservoirs. I think the almond growers must be in trouble. I understand they normally use a tremendous amount of irrigating water each year to grow a crop. Almost the weekend!!

Take care everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

frea29kesnqr.jpeg