Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,694 Member
    Options
    Anne, was that the tail end of Michigan’s tornadoes yesterday? Extreme weather popping up all over the place so even Germany had their first ever tornadoes a couple of days ago. If not a generator, at least a box of candles!
    Good news for Australia that they have voted in a Prime Minister who takes climate change seriously.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,042 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) My flight was delayed an hour yesterday and I sent Bryanna the info but when I landed she said leaving now to which I replied I am at Midway Airport which is 40 minutes away. She got confused and thought I was coming in at O Hare which is only 20 minutes from me. I finally got home around 3:30 and then picked up Babe who spent the night. I will bring him back home when I leave for my party around 2:15. Just trying to catch up on bills and other computer stuff.
    My daughter had texted me Friday night to tell me one of the ladies in her group tested positive for covid. Because of a computer problem my daughter and her husband couldn't test until they got off the ship. If they were positive they would have had to stay in Vancouver for 5 days. I was in panic because I didn't want to stay another 5 days especially with the party today. But Zack and a neighbor could take care of Dexter so my daughter told me not to worry. They both tested negative so that was great. It took two hours for their luggage to get off the ship so they missed their flight. The airlines found them a direct flight to Minneapolis which put them back on track but then the flight from Minnesota to Florida was cancelled and because of how busy they were from cancellations they can't get a flight home until tomorrow morning. They put them up in a hotel for two nights but they really want to get home. Traveling is not always fun.

I still have to eat and wrap a present so I will catch you up with more tomorrow. Have a great day and sorry for the bad weather Anne but hoping Mike's news is something exciting.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think so JACKIE. Four people died and thousands are still without power. Mike seems to be hitting a lucky streak finally, none of his food got wasted. The suggestion of a generator with all these violent storms occurring nowadays - Mary Jo is taking seriously. Especially after she emptied her freezer today and found two whole chickens that had quit this earth in 2020. She's very health and safety concious so was somewhat shocked. I've never had a freezer but I would think its easy to forget what's lurking at the bottom of it.

Mmm SANDY. In my books travelling is NEVER fun. Unless its take your time sight-seeing.

Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Looks like a partly sunny day. Maybe even warm like yesterday. John, Katie I ran a couple of quick errands and enjoyed having the windows down. Katie was able to stick her head out of the window and bark at cars with dogs. It was a friendly “hello” kind of bark. Bliss!

I am holding my breath on weather news. It seems storms or other disasters are waiting around the corner. To that end, Anne, we have a generator. It needs to be installed by an electrician to go through your electric system. It will keep lights on and will sort of keep the food cold in fridge but it will not do everything all at once. Also it needs yearly maintenance. This was news to me. Ours runs on regular gas and had to be out in the garage. A necessary but nasty device. NOISY! It is like a motorcycle going in your garage.

Our sons and grown daughters are still our babies. I understand how Anne feels about her sons. They are grown and competent men but they are still our baby boys! Hoping all goes well for Mike and also Mark.

Trying to do a bit outside but still want our yard crew to show up. So far……? Next week is our yearly check up.

Spiders are hatching out their egg sacks and the wild birds are everywhere. More this year than last year. Crows are discussing my hapless efforts outside. I think they are laughing at me.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,091 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello, I am caught up on graduations now. I watched one LiveStream last night. Very nice ceremony and good speakers. After this morning’s church service, I watched another graduation ceremony. This one took a long time as the class was huge! Then I found the graduation of my friend’s granddaughter, no longer live, and found the section where she walked across the stage. I think that winds things up for this spring.

Anne, I am so sorry about the storm damage. I heard lots of tree branches and electrical lines were down. It definitely makes you think about what to do when the power is down. Which is why I bought a system some years ago.

Patsy, Mine is permanently installed by the side of my house and everything is automatic. When the electric goes out a switch is automatically tripped (or something similar) and the generator starts up from my natural gas supply line. When the electric comes back on, the process is reversed. No cans of gasoline needed but yes, the system needs an annual maintenance visit. Best option for me.

I hope everyone is well and safe tonight.

I went ahead and planted the last of my tomato plants this afternoon as it did not get as cold as they had forecast. We have had a sunny day so I took advantage of it. I am sorting through my seed packets to decide what other things I might try to grow. Haven’t decided on anything yet. I do need more potting soil. I am still far behind you Jackie and Anne! 😄

Sandy, welcome home. I hope you’ve had a good day. Travel, oh my, it sounds like something I can definitely live without.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

kjnlzawnow6f.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    Options
    I was up and out early with George and Betty in tow because I needed to drive into town to use a cash dispenser before walking. Yesterday’s hot weather has disappeared so the cold wind on the moors had George and Betty rushing about gleefully. Heather with Bella was just returning from their walk when I arrived so we chatted for 5 minutes but no one else about. Rain was forecast to arrive by 9 am so we only walked for about 30 minutes then on to the farm shop for a couple of items but gone midday and still no rain so I wonder if I will have to water my veggies.

Yesterday evening I came upon this YouTube video purely by accident and found the results of research being carried out fascinating. Practically everything we are led to believe will improve our chances of remaining healthy into our 90’s is not necessarily true. We can drink alcohol and coffee and it’s better to gain a little weight rather than be skinny, not that I’ll ever be that! The results on possible causes for dementia were even more interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqKfL3z5yM4

A few spits of rain while I’ve chatted to friends on the phone so I’ll check everything outside is safely shut away then contemplate housework.

Happy Monday. Stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Sadly JACKIE I can't get it. A message appeared which read "this video is not available in your country".

Did you see the storm on BBC News? It was absolutely appalling on our tv news with Uxbridge getting it the worst it seems. Mark and Mary Jo were there last weekend helping their friends plant 500 hazel nut [filberts] saplings. We were SO lucky with just the odd twigs and branches down and Marks hand is improving. 8 people were sadly killed.

Mike will be over soon so must away. I've baked a pot pie for our lunch with a potato salad so nothing else to cook. Chilly overnight but the young tomatoes seem to have survived outside.

Thanks for the generator information PATSY and LIN. The Ms are considering one and Mary Jo said when her and her Mom and Dad emigrated to Mozambique from Portugal they had one.

Hi BARBIE, and welcome home SANDY.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) The 90th birthday party was a big success, the birthday boy was very surprised. The food was excellent the company fun and I got home before dark so score.
    So it begins, trying to make all kind of doctors appointments for both me and Babe. My doctor is no longer there so I am looking for a new doctor and I think I found one I like. I also am going to schedule a colonoscopy for myself just because it has been 5 years and I am due. My mom died from colon cancer so I don't want to tempt fate. The dermatologist for both of us and an eye appointment for Babe.
    Also going to make an appointment with a neurologist for Babe to see if they can help with his dizziness.
    Also need to go to DMV for Real ID's since he has no identification except an expired driver's license and everyone needs a Real ID by next year if they want to fly. If I can get in to social security today I will take him to change his address because they make it very difficult to do it online. Picking up Babe at one then my groceries so as you see I have a very full and busy day besides doing all the laundry from my trip.

Jackie, I will try and watch your video later but I don't have 20 minutes right now. I like your explanation of living life and enjoying it as long as it isn't to any extreme. The dementia sounds interesting so once I am caught up will check it out.

Have a good day everyone and enjoy life to it's fullest.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello. I watched a video of the damage around Uxbridge Anne. Frightening storm. It scared me to see guys out with chainsaws trying apparently to clear the roads while there seemed to be downed power lines around. Did you and Mike have a nice visit? How is his hand?

Jackie, I watched Dan walk Pumpkin around on the leash. She must be very happy to get outdoors away from the barking Pomeranian. Are they going to be able to stay in that hotel for free indefinitely? They expected to have to wait 6 weeks before returning to England, I think. Well, he keeps asking for support so I worry for them a bit. Anyway, glad they are back together. Our weather changes continually as well. We had a fairly temperate day yesterday, cold but not unbearable. It isn’t very warm today, overcast and windy. Not a good day to work outdoors. Rain is expected on and off all week with temperatures climbing to the 80s by the weekend. 🤓

Sandy, a great birthday party. And wow, what a lot of work to do! Best wishes on everything you need to handle. Little by little. I decided to try to get some groceries early in the week since a Holiday is on the way. I got everything I ordered! Wahoo! I should have been bolder perhaps. 😃 And finally, that credit card changeover is finished, I think. I set up a new online account with the new bank. Horrendous to set a new password. I tried literally dozens of times and it kept saying the 2 passwords didn’t match. But of course, they wanted me to accept an automated selection and it kept saying, don’t worry, your password will be stored and you won’t ever have to enter it again. Right. That sounds safe. I persisted and did finally get the system to accept my pathetic weak password. 😂😂 then I tried to set up my notifications (you know, large amounts, payment received, etc.) and nothing is on the new portal, I had to enter everything on the old system through a page they provided, save it, log out of it, and then log out of the new portal as well. Several of my friends are hunting for new doctors, there must be a shortage everywhere.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

86c8apqhmeza.jpeg
  • linder4866
    Options
    1aepynsqdc9i.jpeg

Happy International Turtle Day
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cloudy but not too cold…just sort of not quite warm….we were to get a week of sunny weather and warm but it just didn’t happen, sadly!

I have my Dr. appointment on June 3rd for yearly checkup and the dreaded blood draw. Fasting and it is late in the morning. 10:30 am. By the time we are finished and I get home it will be past 12:30 so I will be ready to eat. John also has his checkup and blood draw at the same time. So we might not get home until 1:00.

Glory be! John has decided he is old enough to pass the gardening to some lawn care service. I am so glad. He will enjoy just fussing around in his shop and garage. Doing things he likes to do. I will be doing the same in my dungeon.

Jackie: I watched the YouTube video on living into the 90s. The interesting thing is that we sneakers are already doing almost all of the life affirming strategies that is suggested. I don’t get out socially enough and so many of my friends have passed. I do feel isolated and don’t try to connect with new friends mainly because of the pandemic. John in an introvert so that isn’t an issue with him. I must say, the sneaker ladies are intelligent, creative, and charming. I am lucky to have you all in my life.

Lin: adorable little poo bear teapot. Or is that Paddington? Your tale of woe about your credit card changeover is terrifying to me. You would not believe what I go through when confronted with an issue requiring computer passwords etc. my heart races and my palms sweat…..tears are never far off.

Anne: I love my dishwasher. I am not efficient in the kitchen. When I do anything in the kitchen, I use too many spoons, forks and pans. I use too many little dishes. Salad plates, main dishes, saucers, cups, doggies dishes and I wash Katie’s water dish every night etc. unnecessary and wasteful really but don’t seem to be able to cook without making a huge mess. I have a full dishwasher every other day.

Sandy: I well know how adding another member to your household (Babe) will require more thought and you will be helping him with his health care. I know living with you will improve his health. It may be that you are a natural care-giver. I am also to a degree. I bet little Dexter will miss all your attention and love.

The week begins…much to do and high hopes for problems solved, wishing for peace.
    Patsy☘️🧘🏼
  • linder4866
    Options
    Patsy, the tiny bear reminded me of something a friend collected before they were discontinued—Boyd’s Bears. They made both plush bears and darling themed resin bears.

Plush bear

de4lby907v0n.jpeg

Resin

prnh1zdqiv9g.jpeg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Jackie, lookie, lookie! A darling puppy being cuddled by Kerry. They are adorable.

90c554bbgdhg.jpeg

Lin
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Oh Lin, that pup is gorgeous. How could anyone not want to adopt? 🐶

Just as well I didn’t set the washing machine last night because so far our predicted sunny day is wet! Off to the moors anyway then Ellen is visiting for my pedicure.

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Cooler weather here than in Florida but will get hot over the weekend when our pool opens. Taking my car in for an oil change and tire rotation as it is still free. They said it was free up to a year or 15k miles and I have 10k so they are honoring it although the girl said it was extended by six months because of Covid. From there I will go to Mc Donald to bring to the kiddos. No sitting today but Max has an ice cream social for end of school year at 6:30 which Lisa invited me.
    I didn't get all the appointments made yesterday but will try to do some this morning. I was able to make an appointment with the DMV for tomorrow but social security might be harder, not sure they take appointments.
    My landlord came to measure the balcony boards, maybe he will finally replace them this year. We talked about my new lease and he immediately brought politics into it and said he heard our governor might be raising Real Estate taxes 40% which means of course my rent goes up. He asked what I thought was a fair price and I told him $50 raise and he said no way. My guess is he will want a $100 raise which I think is too high but other rentals are much more so I will probably stay. He also mentioned the 3 bedroom on a first floor he might have available but I am thinking it would be $300 more than this one. Babe will just have to adjust to the stairs somehow or invest in a chair lift for our railing at his expense. Nothing is easy.

Lin, I agree that pup is just adorable. I would love to get a puppy but again first I have to get used to my new boarder. lol

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    When I was about to leave for a walk this morning with George and Betty I noticed the darkest clouds hanging over the transmitter tower just across the road from the car park I use so held back for 5 minutes before driving on to the moors. The roads were glistening from the aftermath of heavy rain but the shower had moved on so we walked for about 5 minutes before Heather with Bella came into view. As we stood and talked another walker, Ian with his huge Husky, caught up with us and that meant more gossip, most of which he has told me before so I made excuses and took George and Betty on.
    Ellen arrived at midday for my pedicure and she quite rightly told me off for not having painted the one wall in my snug. I do have the paint but after doing so much last year, find it difficult to get motivated. A couple of rainy days coming up so perhaps that will be a good time.
    I made the most of a mostly sunny afternoon and completed a few gardening jobs and having eaten my evening meal will now put a jacket on and water the tomato and sweet pepper plants in my greenhouse. I’ve noticed a nasty slug or snail has eaten through the stem of a dwarf French bean plant in the raised bed so have gone all out with a large handful of slug pellets to kill whatever did the damage!
    We have another Bank holiday coming up, then it will be the Queen’s jubilee celebrations so I will shop early in the morning to stock up so I don’t have to mix in crowded stores during that time.

Goodness Sandy, I hope you won’t be expected to pay more rent if the tax doesn’t increase. It’s getting so bad here now it seems every business is using the excuse of world shortages to rip us off. Even a chief executive of a major energy supplier has said the public shouldn’t have such high bills. I’m planning to collect fallen branches in the local woods to store for next Winter!

Time to water my plants. Hello to everyone. Continue to stay safe. Ha! Not so easy with China’s leader getting loud, monkey pox on the rise and crazy weather. Has anyone else read that the world’s axis has secretly shifted? Apparently true, not that I understand the possibility of north and south poles swapping places and what will then happen. Anne, maybe ask Mike to look into it. 😧

On that cheerful note I’m off!!
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello. Rain was forecast to begin last evening so I didn’t water down the seeds I planted yesterday. The front is apparently moving quite slowly because we have received some drizzle and some very light raindrops but the expected persistent rain is still not here. They told us we would receive about 2” before things clear up. Then higher temperatures in the 80’s for the holiday weekend.

I did more online shopping overnight and found 4 bags of potting soil! I just picked them up. Wahoo! I also made a trip to the library between children’s programs to pick up my books on hold. They are resurfacing the parking lot, so spaces are scarce. Good timing and I got a parking spot!

When I got home I signed up for the Summer Reading Club with the library. Didn’t want to linger in the library to sign up.

A neighbor, a couple of houses down from me, is wearing a mask every time I see her. The other day she was out watering her plants and she kept the mask on the entire time as she brought out more water and fussed with the plants. I am not sure what that means. Most folks are maskless when outdoors. I hope she isn’t seriously ill.

Sandy, I think rents are going up precipitously due to economic conditions. Best wishes on getting the best deal possible. I thought he would never allow a dog in his apartments. Did that change? Good luck on getting everything scheduled. Social security was doing all appointments over the phone but I thought I heard they opened their offices again. Getting an appointment has always been a tedious process. By phone is actually better than driving to the office and sitting around forever.

Jackie, sorry about the wet weather but glad you didn’t set the washing machine to run overnight. Wow, pedicure day. How lovely.

Hello Anne, Patsy, Barbie, Diane, Connie, Jeri and other Sneakers.

Need to work on cards. Haaaa, what else is new? 😄

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

dwmpcoe178uf.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    JACKIE. I believe the world shifted a couple of years ago and this is why we now have late springs and equally late falls with a green Christmas.

The weather here has been how I remember spring in the UK. Something to do with a tsunami I think. If I've got the word right, remember the Japan disaster?

It was chilly last night and the heat came on this morning but my tomatoes survived along with the broccoli. The seeds not so good. I think MJ gave me old stock. Never mind I'm pleased with what is flourishing and there's always next year. Its a start.

Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :) We bought a tomato plant on Sunday and I've created hills for planting zucchini. Soon it will time for outdoor planting for us.

:* Jake has two doctor appointments scheduled this week. He will go to the one tomorrow by himself because the dog walker isn't available but I'll go with him on Friday.

:'( Our friends in Peterborough, Ontario told us about the long power outage, terrible storms, and lots of damage over the weekend.

<3 Barbie :)
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    It was a tornado BARBIE that hit the town of Uxbridge. The closest I've been to one! The day started hot and Michael and I sat in the garden and I mentioned I had trouble sleeping the previous night because it was so warm with no air conditioning. Mike phoned Mark to see if he could come over to help place my heavy air conditioner in the window. Mark arrived and was outside steadying it when the wind suddenly rose and it darkened with black clouds scudding across the sky and tremendous driving rain. It all happened so quickly and quite unexpectedly. Mark was coming inside when his shoe skidded on the wet paving stones and he put his hand out to save himself. We were so lucky but still had twigs, leaves and debris flying about but with no electric outage. Michaels electric was off for 12 hours with about 100 thousand still without power in this province. The storm carried on into Quebec.

Of course since the a/c was installed its been downright chilly here. I think we get some warmth, 70F, this weekend. Despite the chilly nights the tomatoes are still surviving. We are better off than Cousin Helen in Australia. she is a keen gardener but because of all the flooding she has about 6 inches of stagnant water around her house. Everyone has, so work crews are going around drilling holes, digging trenches and cutting water pipes in an effort to drain the water away from property. There goes poor Helens pretty garden. I gather the good news is everyone seems to like their new PM.

I have to make out my next order for Friday or Saturday. It has to be sent early or delivery spaces are filled up. Its a job I'm not keen on doing although I try to make out a written list each time I run out of something. This week I am short of coffee for instance.

So must away. Hope Mother Nature is kind to us all this week,

Anne.