Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    I did not have to sit today after all so I did go see Babe to cheer him up. He is fine except for being tired and dizzy. They will give him a sleeping pill tonight and hopefully he will get a good night's sleep.
    John and Laurie arrived when I got home and we are soon going out to dinner.

Have a good evening.
    Sandy
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cold here and a damp cold at that., sweater and jacket and hat and gloves! Slick deck and roads as well. Staying inside.

In reading about Sandy and Babe,I feel so bad for Babe. In less than two years he lost his home, his dog, his son and his health is deteriorating and now the prospect of losing yet another home with Sandy! Sending best wishes for you both, Sandy and Babe. I sincerely hope Babe fient have to live out the rest of his life in a nursing home. It will make life short, depressing and sad for every one in his family.

The flower centerpieces came today. I always feel so great to see this beautiful floral arrrangment. Since John started having trouble lifting things, we stopped setting up the tree. I miss it terribly but the flowers are a great substitute. I avoid anything requiring a ladder.

When Damon comes he will help me with Katie’s grooming. She will let him lift her on the grooming table. One of her protests methods is to turn into a 70 lb. Limp lump. Hard and heavy to lift.

Oh Anne, what a wonderful thing! An electric fireplace. You will love it, I know. We even love our little glowing dish heater. Katie considers it hers. She is always in front of it.

I think we are sort of ready for Christmas. Ours is a minimal holiday. But we are small family. Full of heart and love and lots of good music and good food.
    Patsy😘☘️🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎄🐕

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,910 Member
    Options
    :) Another lovely morning with a fire in the wood stove. Bessie and I have been out in the freezing weather for a short walk and will be going out again in a few minutes when my friend gets here. The only time Bessie barks is with joy when our friend arrives. I leave the door to the mud room unlocked so she can walk right in. The rest of the day will be filled with a meeting on Zoom, lunch, bike riding and knitting while watch Jeopardy, reading, and listening to my latest audio book ( they are about to find out who got murdered and who buried him in the big tree filled with cement), supper, more bike, knitting, and tv and a walk around the neighborhood to see the holiday lights. Early to bed and early to rise makes the dog happy and helps me keep up my average of 15,000 steps a day.

<3 Barbie
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Still freezing so another slow start. By 11am it was about 1C so I took George and Betty out to my car and very slowly eased it across the ice in front of my garage. I had a short conversation with a neighbour I’ve had a long standing issue with after her dog bit me and then threatened to do the same a couple of days ago. I had switched my iPhone to video when I realised the dog was charging towards me but my hero George intervened and leapt In front of him. A long story that only got worse so when I saw her this morning I kept calm in an effort to ease tensions but didn’t get far before all sorts of accusations about my dogs making lots of noise in the middle of the night and how she finds them running about in the parking area and brings them back to my garden!! I can only assume she is taking strong medication of some sort and hallucinating! 😁
    After that bizarre conversation I drove to the top of the moor and we walked for half an hour in the snow, then into town to pick up supplies from the vet and a few groceries at the local store, including a pasty. Not quite as delicious as those I buy at the post office!
    The sun is shining so some snow has melted but I can already sense a drop in temperature so will light the stoves.
    Last day of those Netflix episodes today then hopefully we can all move on and talk about something else. I did watch a fascinating observation from a body language group who pointed out how background music influences how one feels about what is being seen and said. I fear by the time every news channel and paper has dissected it, I’ll think I might as well have watched it myself! 🫣

Happy Thursday.
    Stay warm and safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    JACKIE, I’ve just read the head line “it was terrifying when my brother yelled at me”. I’m surprised the brother didn’t deck him!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Another chilly and possible snowy day. I am not going to my meeting today because John and Laurie are here. I will probably go visit Babe in between therapies if possible. I have to go to post office and make dinner before we go to the light show at Botanical Gardens tonight. Lisa and the kids are going along with her parents, I think Rob has to be at Cub Scouts since he is a leader.

Jackie, that lady sounds like she has problems of her own. I hope George didn't get hurt protecting you, did you get it on video? She does sound like she is hallucinating about George and Betty when it is her dog who is running around unleashed. I will probably watch the Netflix series knowing that not all is true. I always liked Harry's independence but not at the expense of his grandmother.

Barbie, you amaze me with 15,000 steps, I am lucky if I get in 5000 a day. I haven't had time to ride my bike with Babe in rehab but I am managing to keep my weight under control. We will be walking tonight at the light show so that should help a little.

Patsy, yes, Babe has been through a lot this year but he is determined to get stronger and get back home. They work him hard and that is good except for his dizziness. We will see how he is doing in another week or two.

Lin, I do hope you are feeling better today. Sinus headaches are as bad as migraines.

Anne, your fireplace sounds wonderful, I love any type of fireplace, they are just so cozy.

Time to eat and get moving while I have a free day. Enjoy yours.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. I am here. I have been inhaling steam and that has helped. Yes!

So I was on the phone several times today for protracted conversations. Interesting. 🤔

We had light snow all day and apparently it will continue tomorrow. Then dropping temperatures because it is winter!

At least I feel well enough to get back to teapots!

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

76sik8a5y5nf.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Snowy day but not to heavy. The light show was wonderful and managed over 7000 steps. Today I will visit Babe for a short time in between therapies and then we are going to Rob's since Rob couldn't go last night and they want to see him. They leave tomorrow so I will be able to spend more time with Babe except the kids have a Christmas recital tomorrow night.
    The social worker called me yesterday and said the rehab doctor said Babe will probably be released December 26 the day after Christmas. She said if we wanted we could probably have him home for Christmas but Babe said he wants to stay until the 26th. I think it is because he doesn't want to go anywhere for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but I will talk to him about it today. I do not want to give up my Christmas Eve or Christmas morning that we have been doing for years. I know that is selfish but I can visit with him all day Christmas if he wants to stay there.

Lin, glad you are feeling a little better and continue to do so.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hello. Quite chilly, windy and overcast here today. The roads are slippery as the roads were not cleaned and cars turned the nice snow into ice as it froze overnight.

So several more issues to deal with here. My Fitbit watch strap broke and I thought fine, I have a spare, no problem. Yes, I had a spare but apparently the little catch that holds the straps in place in each side of the device is wearing out. Only one is holding consistently now so my Fitbit is falling off unexpectedly. New device require I am afraid. I tried with a prior model to glue the strap in place. Yep, that didn’t work. 🤦🏼‍♀️

And now water is seeping out of the bottom of my washing machine again. The repair guy fixed it in the summer of 2021 but getting a part took more than 6 weeks. Remember my moaning? I am going to have him out to make sure it is not something different. Maybe it can be easily fixed. If not, I will be purchasing a new washer. And of course everyone says you should get a set, should I go against the grain and keep my old dryer? 🤦🏼‍♀️ I started looking at washers online and most everything at a well-known store is out of stock. Several that looked interesting are supposedly going to be in stock mid-January. We will see. They will be coming out next Tuesday afternoon.

Sandy, I am surprised Babe will be discharged so soon. He must be doing well if they believe he can get up 14 steps. That can be a lot, especially after a respiratory infection. As far as the holidays, maybe he just doesn’t want to go to your regular events. But those recovery places are grim over the holidays as I remember it. Low staffing for sure. So no one to help quickly if something comes up. What if you told him that you were going to your regular Christmas celebrations? Would that just reinforce his decision to stay in place? Best wishes in sorting this out.

Jackie, I see Dan Baker is posting again as he and his wife are traveling back to their home. A week’s worth of paperwork to take care of? Yikes, I hope they stay safe. Changing gears, your neighbor is a nuisance. I hope you can avoid her. She gives me the willies from here!

Anne, is Michael enjoying his time off? And what is up for your holiday celebration?’ We have a lot of cold air coming apparently, I hope you do not!

Barbie, excellent routine and very good daily step count. I wonder if I could give up my Fitbit and just rely on my Apple Watch? I am considering it. What type of step counter are you using?

Patsy, when will your lift be installed? I never heard how the appointment with the company that sells them went. Well I hope. Enjoy the gorgeous flowers. They don’t last long.

Well, time to make some lunch and need to put away a few tons of my card making supplies. 😅😂😅

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Some holiday teapots

dqs3ihagwslc.jpeg

• Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Yesterday was an awful day weather wise but not as bad as for some. That dreadful snow storm that was to the west of us finally reached us but whilst most of the province got snow, we just got freezing rain, tons of it. It rained the entire day but this morning it had warmed up and all the frozen stuff has disappeared. No snow shovelling! Needless to say I didn’t poke my nose outside but Mark and Mary Jo popped in for a while.

Mark hurt his back even more helping Michael carry the huge box containing the fire and fireplace inside yesterday. Bad enough to spend the rest of the day in bed. Mary Jo absolutely refuses to let him assemble it as she wants him well enough for Christmas and fixing the basement. Michael says he will come over tomorrow to try and assemble it. If you don’t hear from me you will know I’ve been cooked like the turkey when I switched it on. However, I’ve suggested Mark just sits with the Bean and instructs Michael.

Mike, Jilly Bean and I have been invited over for Christmas dinner but I can’t have the trifle because it was too rich for my delicate stomach. However I am allowed the Christmas pud and sauce! I think the cream, lashings of it on the trifle last year did me in. . Uncomfy night to say the least. Let’s face it, I’m a pig and ate too much. Like I’ve said before, MJ is a VERY good cook.

Just to put your mind at rest SANDY my mom LOVED being in her nursing home at Christmas. It was a family business and the cook was the grandad who had been a ships cook and boy did he know how to cook. His son and daughter ran the business with their son and daughter with numerous dogs in tow. They spent Christmas Day at the home and gave the old folks a wonderful day with even a glass of sherry with their dinner. Maybe it will be the same for Babe. The home is an old Victorian house and only has 16 elders living there at a time. When I travelled from Canada each year to be with my mother these dear people put me up for nothing and in return I helped out a bit folding laundry and entertaining the more active residents, she was a very lucky lady, my Mom. And I was very lucky as well knowing she was in good hands.

And that’s about it from me. Oh LIN, my washer and drier don’t match. Mind you my furniture doesn’t either. Coordinated in colours but two armchairs don’t match each other OR the sofa. You probably noticed in early photos. I like a mish mash.

Anne about to put the kettle on.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,910 Member
    Options
    :)Lin. I have an Omron pedometer that was expensive when I bought it in 2010 and may not be available anymore. I also count steps on the Samsung Health app on my android phone. I carry my phone in my pocket all the time so it works well for me. I balked at the fitbit because I don't like anything on my wrist

<3 Barbie
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Hello sneakers. It continues to be freezing outside so there’s still lots of ice to slip on if not careful. This morning’s walk was round the block only because George’s groomer was booked for midday and I wanted to brush out any debris from his coat that he tends to pick up. I stayed in the grooming truck while he was trimmed and we caught up with our news. The shining sun brought the temperature up slightly but not enough to want to be outside so we kept our coats buttoned up. Lunch afterwards was a bacon sandwich with HP Brown sauce (Anne’s favourite!), fires were lit as the sun went down, I hung a string of lights around the ceiling beams then finally got to sit down with my afternoon cuppa!

I love today’s tea set Lin, especially reminds me of Brady’s present deposited under the dining table earlier!!

Gosh, it’s now past midnight so I need to get us all to bed. I will catch up properly in the morning while sipping coffee but hopefully not waiting for it to stop snowing. I’ve just let the dogs into the garden and brrrr!! 🥶

Jackie 🥰
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Brrrrrrrrrr cold and that damp sort that chills to the bone! No sweater, jacket or coat is enough.

I have been having fun listening to music on Alexa. Katie, however, barks at her when she talks to us. Not sure why but she doesn’t do that when we watch tv or listen to the radio or stero.

We are planning a low key Christmas. Damon is coming and we will see Andrea and grandson. Our SIL feels very uncomfortable out of his house. He is doing okay. The injury from his fall has mostly healed but that lost part of his brain seems lost forever. There are very simple tasks that he. Can’t do. But in general, he is doing fine and made a remarkable recovery.

Back to our Christmas, I decorated but not quite as much as I used to do. I will do a bit of cooking and I will bake a pie. Damon and I are planning the dinner. It will not be Turkey! We are considering Italian again! We all enjoyed it at thanksgiving. Our wonderful neighbor who is a longshoreman, loves to fish etc. he went crabbing and shared some of his catch with us. Fresh crab….what a treat., but messy to get the crab meat out of those crab legs and claws.

I will give our mailman a little Christmas cash in an envelope, so this year, all gifts except for my gifts to John will be checks or cash. I hate doing it that way, but totally clueless about their needs or desires. As my dad used to say, it always fits and the color looks good on them.

I will say, if we had little kids in the family, I would love to be with them at Christmas. That said, I do not think I could ever be away from John on Christmas, if I had a choice. I had told him many times, he is on the list of naughty little boys….
    Patsy☘️🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🐕😖😇

• Sandydur
    Options
    b6hjxsfv6nzi.jpeg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh my goodness. Such a beautiful little girl and her fingers are straight and long already. Maybe she will be a pianist. Life is nothing but possibilities right now. ❤️❤️

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Here I am, still covered in layers because the promised warmer temperatures haven’t arrived yet. George asked to go out about 5am when I noticed the ground was covered in thick ice so decided there and then our doggy walk wouldn’t be happening later. Lots of problems on our roads with accidents and breakdowns which means delays, then the strikes continue, but I did receive a package delivered by the postman which was a pleasant surprise! I’ve made a pot of soup, cut up more kindling and sent a few emails but that’s about all today.

Lin, I did notice Dan Baker was back on YouTube and have arrived In Kyiv today so I hope they will be safe because the city is being targeted with drones. They look happy to be back in their apartment though!

Anne, did you see pictures of the Royals arriving for the Christmas concert at Westminster Abbey? They are continuing the late Queen’s funny habit of sending subtle messages by wearing certain clothes or jewellery. The women turned up in matching burgundy outfits and William and George in matching suits. There’s a lot of beige and white too which all relates to Megan’s comment that that’s all she wore because she wasn’t allowed to wear the same colour as other royals! It struck me as funny. 😁
    A friend was telling me she went to a Christmas lunch last week and because she can’t eat cream, the lady serving the desserts agreed to take a spoonful of custard off the trifle and put it on her Christmas pudding! Cream doesn’t like me so I keep an emergency tin of Ambrosia custard in my store cupboard.

That’s a beautiful photo of little Aloha Sandy and Lin’s right about her fingers; she will be playing the piano by the time she’s 2. 😁
    The neighbour with the out of control dog has been trouble since she moved in nearly 20 years ago

Bedtime and the forecast promises heavy rain tonight so that will be interesting.
    Jackie 👍✊👱‍♀️
  • linder4866
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Jackie, I follow an artist in Cornwall. Here’s her post from this morning.

Bitterly Cold
    Never in all the years we have we lived in this house , when opening the shutters in the morning have we had frost inside the windows ! Thankgoodness for this beauty which we are lighting first thing . Too cold to have been in my workshop which has limited heating. And to top it all I have the North Cornwall current hacking cough ........

dilr2f77w9j5.jpeg

4d2h24ypcjl2.jpeg

• linder4866
    Options
    Hello all. Chilly here. I finally went out for the mail and I started coughing as soon as I hit the cold, cold air. Ick.

Here’s a teapot.

eofnr7blttd2.jpeg

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Jackie and Anne,
    Have you ever see the TV series the Time Master? My son and his wife had me watch a few early episodes and I have to admit I liked it, British humor is funny.
    Sandy
  • Sandydur
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Going to noon mass today but checking in to say hi. Kids Christmas Recital was really cute, always makes me tear up. After mass I have a couple of errands to run before visiting Babe. I am bringing him McDonald's as he is tired of the food there. I asked the nurse if he could have it and she said he is on low sodium but what I don't see is none of my business. I will just do this once to cheer him up because at home he was not on low sodium in fact the neurologist wanted him to add extra salt for his dizziness so who knows who to listen too.

I asked Babe if he wanted to buy me a new monitor for my computer for Christmas and he said yes.
    My son picked it out and installed it for me. It is pretty cool as it curves and is a little bigger than my last one.

Babe is doing well except for dizziness but they are going to try compression socks and a waist binder when he does therapy. I tell him to wear compression socks at home but he keeps saying they don't work. They actually do help keep blood flowing from your feet to your heart, I wear them myself in the winter.

Still not sure if Babe will be home for Christmas, I think he is leaning toward staying there until after.
    He is just not social and feels awkward with people. He has always been like that so that is nothing new.
    It will work out if he stays I will visit him before our festivities on Christmas Eve and after Christmas breakfast with the kiddos I will spend the rest of the day with him and bring him presents.

I better eat and get moving. Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time