Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Whoa Lin, what a horrible experience in the middle of the night. Unnerving to put it mildly but I hope that since he wasn’t targeting you as such, you feel more settled today. I’ve never been into Harry Potter, books or movies, so don’t know the actors. I watch a lot of interesting YouTube videos although have stopped following Dan Baker because I felt Victoria seemed fed up in their latest trip. He doesn’t mention working in England either so although I’m really pleased they reached safety, there isn’t anything interesting in recent videos. I was going to direct you towards the series 3 Happy Valley clips but you got there! It’s not so violent… yet! Fascinating how, after 3 episodes, storylines are merging.

Anne, I’ve never felt like a Jacqueline so rarely use it. Even Jackie doesn’t seem to belong to me so I think mother should have insisted on Jane which she wanted to call me after reading Jane Eyre during pregnancy with me!

Barbie, don’t you feel a sense of relief at getting home after a long day involving hospital appointments? Hopefully that’s it for a while.

Betty just asked to go outside so I got to view a clear sky full of stars until the cold air hit me! I came in and left her to potter but the outer door to the garden room was left ajar so she could get in and bark at the internal door.

It’s only 10 pm but I can see frost already twinkling in the grass. 🥶
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Ah, so I’m not alone JACKIE,
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hi there, we have a light rain off and on. Cold however! I am snuggled in my sweater and under a throw while I plan dinner and text son and daughter. Tonight I will fix stirfry veggies with a couple o those huge mushrooms as a kind of meat substitute. I can hear John already fussing!

I sincerely understand about reluctance to go to the doctor. Both John and I are going next week. John and I both take a low dose blood pressure pill. We have twice yearly blood draw to check out our “engines.” I take the bp pill because I am diabetic. I have good bp numbers but diabetics usually take a bp pill as a preventative. John has had insomnia his whole life and our doc only has morning appointments. This 9:00 am appointment will be a misery for him. But he will nap and it will mess up his days and nights for a couple of days. There are worse things than this, so I will not complain.

We finished watching Yellowstone. Interesting series. Now we are rewatching Breaking Bad. A good series but the drug scene disturbs me, no end. Brian Cranston is quite good in this series. It is several years old but still relevant. I will check out Happy valley, sounds interesting.

The rising sea level has caused some issues here. The plus tides are scary. Beach erosion and it has eaten up some land. Some places are not there anymore. The huge breakers are amazing and the power takes our breath away. This year several of our salmon species are being considered for endangered species status. That will take them off limits for fisheries. Big fuss going on now!

Watched the blessing of the winter fleet on tv rather than stand in the rain. Always an emotional event. We have a fisher person memorial wall in black stone.. Our local Catholic church does the blessing and several families toss the flowers of remembrance.
    Patsy☘️

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) My mother named me Barbara but what she really wanted was a daughter named Barbie. I was a shy child who couldn't explain to the teacher each year to call me Barbie so endured Barbara which especially troublesome in high school where it seemed that there were four girls named Barbara in every class. That helped me feel even more invisible and less unique. My sister was named Heather and she hated her name because it was too unusual and easily rhymed with words that were used to tease her. I started to identify as Barbie after I retired but entirely too many people call me Barb. There is no winning in the name game.

<3 Barbie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    I must admit my real name is Patience Yvonne. A mouthful! As a chubby girl with curly dark hair and dark freckles across my nose, green eyes and always skinned knees and teeth that were too big for my face. My gran said we were black Irish. From when the Moors invaded Ireland. Fact? Maybe…maybe not. A pretty name but I was called Patsy for obvious reasons. However, for the book I wrote, “Women Of The Sea” and the political cartoons and my gallery shows I used Patience. I almost felt it is a secret identity.
    Patsy☘️
  • jacAth3
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I do feel for you Barbie. These memories stay with us. I’m sure one of the reasons I developed a dislike for Jacqueline was my first week at school when we had to write our names on the blackboard and the teacher didn’t show any empathy when I was faced with the likes of Susan, Linda, Anne, Mary etc. in the class, every one much shorter than mine. I was told off for taking too long and being left handed but forced to write with my right obviously didn’t help either! Do I sound resentful?

Sleet and hail falling out of a slate grey sky so none of us in a hurry to go out. Coffee finished and now porridge with stewed plums to enjoy!
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wow, so I’m really not alone in disliking my name as applied to me. Anne’s okay for princesses and Jesus’s grandmother - but me! No. To my family I’m mom but privately I think I’m a Jenny. Must ask the boys if they are happy with their names. I guess Mary Jo wasn’t happy with her real name either! Definite change there!
    We lived in an house named “St Anne’s” with a plaque over the front door which led the doctor who delivered me to ask “ “is the child named after the house, or the house named after the child”. Mmmm.

Anne, the would be Jenny.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Jackie, My older step daughter from my first marriage is named Samantha. She hated that her name was so long and that it took so long to write so she went by Sam for a long time in school. Imagine my surprise when she named her daughter Savannah.

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) I am going to sit for a short time today while Rob takes Charlie for her Covid booster and then to rehab.
    I am the odd ball out I guess, I like my name. My grandmother's name was Alexandra so my mother named me Sandra after her, my cousin born after me was named Alexis. I was called Sandra as a little girl but once I became a teenager I liked Sandy, only my father called me Sandra.
    I named my only daughter Kristy but have no idea why, I hope she likes it.

Have a good day all.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I like my name too. Jeri is very unusual. But here’s the story. I was originally named Jerry but everyone was confused and thought I was a boy initially. Before starting school my parents officially changed my name to Jeri. I got a new birth certificate and my old one was kept as well. After I was old enough to go to bars (21 in those years) I gave my old birth certificate to my younger sister who was a 1 1/2 younger than me. Now Val could go out and have fun too. She surprised my Mom’s cousin that summer. Val was staying with them and they went out for supper. Val ordered a glass of wine with no problem.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    That story about your step daughter made me laugh Barbie. 😆

Anne, my school friend Anne’s dad once told me she was apparently named after a hotel her parents stayed in for a holiday. Take from that what you will!

Jeri, your story reminded me of my Latvian boyfriend in Canada whose name was Janis, pronounced Yani. Everyone called him Janice, a girls name which he hated, so he officially westernised it to John.

It’s been another very cold day but again we managed a walk between hefty hail showers. I’ve made contact with a chimney sweep who will confirm at the weekend when he can visit, my new fan heater for the shower room has arrived that I might be able to install myself and Linda’s son phoned to offer to replace the old vanity unit. The new one has been sitting in my garage for a year! He will pop round when I let him know I’m home from my hair appointment tomorrow.

My battery is dying so I’ll finish and get myself to bed.
    Jackie 🥰
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) According to my mother, they considered many names for me since I was born so soon after my father had served in the Coast Guard with honor during WWII. They wanted to honor the Coast Guard and suggested the names of two of his ships as names for me (Sagebrush and Petaluma) and then settled on Barbara ( apparently Santa Barbara is the patron saint of naval gunners ) and Campbell ( the ship where he received a Silver Star for bravery). Since Campbell soup was a big deal during my school years I often got called Campbell Soup. I love the stories of my name...just not the actual name.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Good evening. What a lot of interesting stories regarding names! I really have nothing to add. I was not named after anyone. I received a very popular name of the times and I have never thought about what name I would prefer. I have had a lot of nicknames, selected by other people. I did keep my last name from my marriage as I do like that.

Well, it rained, the wind blew and the precipitation has now changed over to snow as the temperature is 32 degrees. They still don’t seem to know how much snow we will receive, perhaps around 5 inches rather than 9 inches.

I spent a good portion of the day working on the 3 birthday cards I need for February. Just about finished. And I have some paper out to try to do some stamping samples for St. Patrick’s Day. I hope something works early on. I always have problems with what green to use for St. Patrick’s Day cards. I swear they don’t provide a good option!

I attended some online events today and also watched a summary of Happy Valley Episode 3.

My eyes are tired and I think I will wind things up and maybe take a nap. 😄😄

Be safe my friends.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

j6uveiedca18.jpeg

• Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Options
    BARBIE, how interesting to read about your name history and your brave dad.
    I went back to my maiden name LIN, mainly because no one could have had a better dad than me or grandad and great grandad for that matter. I was blessed with them in my life.

Just done my walking tour of the house and about to eat breakfast. Grocery day and since the grey bearded elderly gentleman who struggles up my new steps always arrives early and he probably will with freezing rain predicted I better get a-moving.

Anne.

PS. SANDY, my BP is now in the 130 range. I guess like my weight it varies all the time but I hope I can stay on the low dosage pill.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Meeting day then to rehab. Just hope it doesn't snow before I get home later.
    It was great seeing two of the three kiddos yesterday. Rob said Charlie was screaming before she got the shot and after she said it didn't even hurt. Anticipating something that didn't happen, don't we all do that??

Anne, I will wait a few days before taking my blood pressure to see how the pill is working, yours sounds perfect. What is your second number? Supposedly we are to be 130/80 or lower to have a normal blood pressure.

Lin, I hope we don't get your snow but it has to happen one of these days, this is a very mild winter for Chicago. As you see on Facebook I have all my names listed, maiden name, first marriage and second marriage. Just in case anyone from my past is looking for me. lol

Jackie, I hope the heater is keeping you warm in the bathroom and your new vanity is installed. How is our little George doing?

Barbie, interesting story but I am glad they settled for Barbara instead of Sagebrush or Petaluma.

Jeri, you little devil you, giving your old birth certificate to your younger sister. My daughter was born December 30 and when she was of school age the cut off date was November 30. I felt she was ready for kindergarten so my MIL boyfriend got me a new fake birth certificate with her birthday being November 30 so she could go to school. Poor girl was confused when celebrating her birthday December 30.
    I was young and stupid but she was so ready for school.

Patsy, hope all is well with you and John. I have a blood test and scan coming up and then back to the doctor with the results. I need to stay healthy to take care of Babe although I am hating all this driving.

Have a good day my friends.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    Sandy, 138/80 this morning, Anne.

• jwubben6600
    Options
    Wow, a sunny morning, but cold ! As everyone used to say….colder than a welldigger’s behind! An saying from the past. Worn out but still funny to me.

Today is a busy day. I had to be up early to bathe, change my toe bandage, gather all the trash and reline the trash baskets, put on a load of laundry, cook Katie’s chicken and fix our cereal. There were a few other little chores as well. Right now I am snuggled up to a huge mug of coffee. I will begin again as soon as I finish this blessed coffee. I feel a bit of energy returning.

My blood pressure is always low. I take the bp pill required for diabetics. In fact I need to keep track to make sure it doesn’t plummet. I have had that happen. Makes me dizzy and I feel like I am going to faint. I have to drink a big glass of water and eat some fruit and sit down for a while then some supported exercise. Something that I can do as I hang on to the exercise bar in the dungeon. Thank goodness this rarely happens.

Damon is coming on Monday. He will take John to eye doctor as well as attend to some little repairs around the house. He said he wants to take these on. It pleases John and Damon wants to keep an eye on his dad. We still see that John has difficult days. At the end of the day, he cannot think. Reason and language is hard for him when he is tired. And he tires very easily. This is something we are not used to, John has always been a dynamo!

Katie is in bad need of another grooming. I still have a couple of toenails to clip. We continue to use the peanut butter trick. She gets so busy licking Damon’s fingers she doesn’t bother much while I clip a couple of toenails. This works for a short time. Then the amazing super canine can spring into action and there is NO containing her. The grooming session is OVER!

Still working on my valentines. I am only making 4 valentines but they are labor intensive. They are really tiny paintings. I am using the littlest brushes I can find. One only has about 10 super tine hairs. Details are needed in tiny paintings to make them interesting. I think Lin will know about this kind of thing.

Sandy: we can’t get John interested in exercise or rehab sessions at all. We would arrange rehab a couple times a week. But John is worried about hurting himself.

Anne: I picture you as an energetic red haired girl with a wicked smile and twinkle in her eyes. Saintly? Not so much, but a good heart and kind but adventurous nature. I don’t think you have time for a longer name! You have to bake and take care of you little genus puppy. A perfect name for you.

Through the years here, I have gotten to know you and your personalities. I have gotten so used to you all and I have mental pictures of each of you. To me your names fit you all perfectly. You are all sweethearts!
    Patsy☘️

• Loveburg87
    Options
    And you are a sweetheart as well dear PATSY. Me and the bean had a mainly quiet day. The excitement for her was a good bark at a different grocery delivery man who came VERY early and then when Mark showed up to do a bit more work on the basement dining room. It was a bedroom but as it is off the basement kitchen which has a pantry, it makes more sense being a dining room except I’ll probably never use it as it takes me all my time tottering up and down the stairs on laundry day.
    Bean has a game with Michael. She gets a milky bone from him and then drops it on his foot which is a signal for him to sit on the floor while she leans against him crunching it. Today she conned a milky bone from me and was hoping I’d play her game. “Forget that” said Anne, “if I get down to your level I’ll never get up again”.
    It’s quite an adventure isn’t it becoming ancient, not to mention challenging.

So you can see nothing exciting in this neck of the woods. Too much excitement for SANDY and not enough for me on a horrid, dark and gloomy pouring with rain day.

Night ladies, time to watch jeopardy and realize how dumb I am. The only things I usually get right are ancient history and Shakespeare. Forget American colleges and football!

Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Good evening friends. The snow is done for now. Just under 5 inches apparently. Heavy, wet, snow with the last of it this morning drifting down in lovely single flakes….that was beautiful.

Patsy, I am in awe of your work on the tiny valentines. I don’t own a brush that small and my eye sight is not good enough for the very small work. How marvelous of you to have taken on a project to make 4 of these tiny tiny beauties.

Anne, your day sounds very nice as well. You cannot let that darling little Bean push you around. She gets to push your boys around, that’s enough.

Sandy, I hope you made it home safely or better yet, maybe the snow missed you altogether.

Hello Jackie, Barbie, Diane, Jeri and everyone!

Be safe

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

18o872t1i727.jpeg

• jacAth3
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yesterday was busy what with walking, a trip to my hairdresser, grocery shopping on the way home then a delivery of logs and coal to be stored away. Linda’s son has done another disappearing act and I’m thinking this is sometimes the problem with friend’s family members offering to do work! If I don’t hear over the weekend I will go back to my original plan of hiring a handyman.

It’s a lot warmer today so we had a lovely stroll this morning in the sunshine. Both pooches raced about, delighted to be off lead. Some of the sitting water is still frozen in places on the higher ground but I think it will soon melt.

Sandy, I didn’t have a chance to fit the fan heater yesterday and today was hovering, waiting for a call from Linda’s son but am about to delve into the wall and plugs to check what’s needed. George is doing well and I would say about 95% so only an occasional wipe required! 🥴

My blood pressure is generally normal but occasionally crashes so like Patsy I drink a large glass of water, sit somewhere and nibble a biscuit or piece of fruit. I’ve learnt to recognise the signs so get ahead of fainting!

I shall search for my trusty screwdriver, switch off the mains and see what’s needed…. Possibly a professional electrician!

Happy Friday. I will weigh myself on Sunday.
    Jackie 🥰