November ETL thread: No nonsense November

Options
tdh1991
tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
oh my!
I don't log in for a week and everything has changed. Hopefully, everyone will find the group and we all figure out how to navigate the new MFP. Will see.

Halloween was a good day for me no candy or junk food. I think that is the first time in my life I made it thru this holiday without any sweets.

so far today;
usual oatmeal breakfast
lunch: butternut squash soup and salad.
now off to the gym

check in later.

have a nice day.

Terri

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,917 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hey Terri! I started a November thread too, but I deleted it and we will go with yours. :) I am happy we have our group back! The prior owner was very sorry she accidentally deleted it. But what the heck, new starts are always good right? November goals, keep up the momentum from the past couple weeks and head into the holidays strong!

I could use some opinions and input from the regulars. The announcements thing is kind of a pain as there is no way to see if new posts are made unless you bookmark them. Then they only go unshaded if there's a new post and it is kind of easy to miss. I think we should probably have new sticky threads for recipes and resources, but I'm hesitant to put introductions up there as it would be easy to miss someone new posting and I don't like when people post and get no response. Thoughts?

ETA: no Halloween candy, Terri? Woohoo! Me either, but I worked late so secretary could go home early and didn't even buy any haha!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I added the basic nutritarian guidelines to the announcements part, let me know if I missed anything or if any of it seems unclear.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest no stickies until they fix that issue, then you can probably sticky certain threads after the fact? Stupid travel laptop..... Glad to be back, though.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I agree Scott... glad you are back too!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yippee! Here we are! I have been having really pretty good ETL days, just diet in general feels pretty good this week. I feel like I have been making really pretty good choices this week, while allowing for some "other" stuff...like the pumpkin pie they gave us at conference yesterday! I have had two pieces of Halloween candy, and I am OK with that. At least, they were really good ones that I deem "worth" the calories.

I am really low on calories today...work was ridiculous. I had my oatmeal/chia/fruit for breakfast, but then I didn't get to eat til almost 6pm, and I had my bean/veggie soup that I had brought. It is filling but low in calories, so when I got home I wasn't really hungry but had had very few calories. I just finished a bowl of popcorn with nutritional yeast as a snack...still low but now I am not having any more.

I have overnight vegan oats from OSG brewing in the fridge, I hope they turn out yummy!

It would be nice to have stickies or something eventually...the go to information for people with common questions. But I can see the problem with not getting notifications. Hmmm. I think in a few places I have seen where stickies were locked? So that they couldn't be posted on any more, but the info was there. That way we wouldn't miss posts in those areas. But for an intro post or something, that doesn't solve the lack of notifications of new posts. Hmmm...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi folks!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Mornin' all. I am going to the office again today. Sigh. Yesterday was not nearly as productive as I hoped it would be, mostly because my boss showed up and I lost my quiet work time. He promised he wouldn't be there today. I am taking tomorrow off though. The EMG on my hands is scheduled for tomorrow morning and I decided to just turn it into a day off since I think I've only taken 3 days the entire year so far. I assume the results will be sometime next week and I'll find out if my doc is right and I have to have carpal tunnel surgery.

Plan a good day. I am going to treat myself to a good breakfast since I got up early. Here's the menu for today:

B: tofu scramble with loads of veggies, hash browns
    L: hummus and lettuce in a spinach wrap, carrot and celery sticks
    D: white bean pita pizza topped with roasted red pepper and caramelized onions
  • Mihani
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Jean, that's a crazy day at work! Hope you get some R&R today, or are you working again? I like the attitude of eating things you deem worth the calories. I try to do that too, if I'm going to blow my calorie budget it ought to be on something worth my while. I can't remember, are you still in the cast at work?

Hi Sabine :)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »
    It would be nice to have stickies or something eventually...the go to information for people with common questions. But I can see the problem with not getting notifications. Hmmm. I think in a few places I have seen where stickies were locked? So that they couldn't be posted on any more, but the info was there. That way we wouldn't miss posts in those areas. But for an intro post or something, that doesn't solve the lack of notifications of new posts. Hmmm...

IMHO, without notifications, currently, the stickies are more trouble than they are worth. If we stick to a monthly thread, + the very few other sitcky-worthy threads, like introductions, recipes, whatever.... there won't be enough threads to clog things up. Then, if one day, MFP fixes the sticky notification issue, those threads could be stickied then.

• Mihani
    Options
    Scott, I think you are saying we could just add introductions, recipes and resources into the general discussion area for now, since we are starting over and there isn't a lot going on to make them get lost, and if it gets to the point where we have more threads filling up the page we'll figure out something then, and hopefully MFP will have caught up? That makes sense. Sound good to everyone?

I do like having a separate recipes thread, because sometimes I will remember a recipe someone posted but I can't remember how long ago and I can't find it.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Hi All,

I agree. Hold off on the stickies until they get all the bugs sorted out. But I do think we should eventually have a few for the rules, introduction, and recipes.

Everyone seems to be doing well right now. I had a pretty good day today.

Finally, some energy for the gym today. Lately, I have been dragging thru my workouts. Only 1 1/2 more months till I can start lifting weights again.

Mahini: sorry you were at work again today :frowning:

Scott, Sabine, and Utah glad you are here :smile:

Have a nice night
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Scott, I think you are saying we could just add introductions, recipes and resources into the general discussion area for now, since we are starting over and there isn't a lot going on to make them get lost, and if it gets to the point where we have more threads filling up the page we'll figure out something then, and hopefully MFP will have caught up? That makes sense. Sound good to everyone?

I do like having a separate recipes thread, because sometimes I will remember a recipe someone posted but I can't remember how long ago and I can't find it.

You're the boss. B)

• Mihani
    Options

You're the boss. B)

So am not.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I'm a bit keyed up tonight, going for my EMG tomorrow morning to test for carpal tunnel. My guess is my doctor wouldn't have told me I have it if I don't, but the EMG will confirm and assuming my doc is right then surgery. This is why I'm working even more than usual. Trying to get on top of things. Which isn't helping the pain in my hands of course. I am turning tomorrow into a day off though. I need some me time.

I don't do well with doctors/tests/medical stuff. So this won't be fun, but I do know the doctor as it is the same guy I saw a few years ago for my sciatica, and he's super nice. Plus he fixed my back problems so I sort of worship him lol.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Good luck today Mahini. Hope your doc can fix you again this time. Our bodies always have a way of telling us to slow down.

goal this week is to be pretty strict ETL. Up a couple of pounds so need to get right back at it. I would like to lose 5-6 lbs by Xmas. So, thankful it is only a few pounds to lose not 50-60.

Last night I felt pretty good exercising again. I was feeling burnt out there for the past couple of weeks. Wish the gyms that I went to would get some other type of cardio machines. Need a little more variety. Oh, well wishful thinking.

Made homemade vegetable broth yesterday. Plan on making a few dishes for the week.

goals Nov. 3-8

Make:
    Three Sisters Harvest Stew
    West African Lentil Okra
    Curried Chick pea and Sweet potatoes.

take a few dishes out of the freezer for lunches.

exercise 3-4 x
    Log my food

• UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Back from the war! :smiley: My overnight oats were/are very tasty, am having serving #2 right now, with some blueberries and raspberries. I worked both weekend days, although Sunday I did get to take a lunch, and had some veggie chili. Also two fun size kit kat bars from somebody's left over Halloween stash, totally worthwhile. We went out for our usual dinner/drinks after Sunday's shift, but I changed things up drink wise, only had one, and had a salad that I have been wanting to try for dinner, and it was terrific. Not a low cal salad, really, but veggies still rather than a bar burger or some such thing.

So good news!!! Since I weighed in after my pretty-normal thyroid tests, on October 23, I have lost 3 pounds! Yay! I was hoping for good news this morning, because for me, good news is positive reinforcement, and it had gotten so discouraging. And it was a challenging week to start with, with multiple 12 hour shifts in a dangerous food environment, some dinners out, and a two day conference with food provided. So I am very happy, and am planning to continue to eat in the calorie range I have been aiming for, and hopefully next week will be good news!

Some exercise planned for today, and getting out to ride later. Lunch is planned, soup/salad, but not sure on dinner yet...hope everyone here is having a good day, and we continue to grow and welcome people back.
  • ilovetoeatsweets
    ilovetoeatsweets Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I am new to the group and am looking forward to finding out more about ETL...
  • Mihani
    Options
    Welcome sweets... glad you are here. :)
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Glad the group is back!!

At some point last week, the juicing just fizzled out. You remember my busy schedule leading up to Halloween? I got nearly everything done - except that I didn't have time to make juice, and I ran out on Wednesday. So then I started just eating scraps of whatever was around. Mostly starchy carbs... Sigh...

My goals for November are basically all in an effort to stop feeling so tired. The lack of workouts and too many starchy carbs really has me feeling pooped!

November Goals:
    - ETL back-to-basics - really focus on the nutritional targets -- Most importantly I have to really pay attention to my starchy carbs and make sure I really only eat 1 cup per day. I know I've been eating way more than that...
    - Morning workouts! I've been lazy and I can FEEL it. I NEED to get back on the treadmill!!!
    - Go to bed at a decent hour!!!
    - Wake up as soon as my alarm goes off - no more being lazy!!!

That's it! Sounds simple enough, right?!?!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Excellent goals Karrie. I could just copy/paste those for my own goals lol.

I ended up NOT getting the EMG this morning. Started looking into the insurance co-pays and deductible and such, and I have not met ANY of my $1,000 deductible yet this year so the EMG would be totally out of pocket. Since the surgeries couldn't be until next year because of time constraints and the end of the year being so busy that I can't contemplate being one-handed during November and December, I just decided to wait until January to get the EMG and then it and the surgeries will all fall under next year's deductible as it resets on January 1. What a complicated mess medical/insurance stuff is.

I did go ahead with taking the day off though. Went to the grocery and stocked up on stuff to make this an awesome ETL week, and going to go have lunch with a friend as planned. I haven't got together with him in a long time and really looking forward to catching up. Then when I get home I think I will do some laundry and tackle the piles of dog and cat hair that are in every corner.