November ETL thread: No nonsense November

Options

Replies

• squiggysmama
    Options
    liapr wrote: »
    I've been reading more about McDougall and his ideas and its relation to ETL lately too. Have any of you guys read much of his stuff? Just curious.

Something finally clicked and yelled at my brain that I need to get off the sugar! So today is day 1.

Yep -- McDougall, Barnard, Esselstyn, Campbell, Fuhrman... they're all pretty much on the same page, with a few variations. I admire and respect them all.

Sugar was my first drop. It's a huge one. When you get past that, you'll see how much it has really been holding you back. Fruit tastes much sweeter -- and is much more satisfying to your sweet tooth -- once you get the refined sugar out of your diet.

It has been a good ETL few days. I crossed over the 75 pounds lost mark (actually 76, putting me firmly into the 150s). I do not ever remember being this weight. Ever. I am pretty sure I was in the 160s even in high school.

I have a meeting/training this evening at work and we're having food catered in (sandwiches). In the past, I would have just dealt with whatever was served. This time, however, I asked the caterer to make sure to throw in vegetarian options. Yes, there will probably be cheese, but I can remove that.

Moving forward... :smile:
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow Squiggy, awesome!! Congrats!! The 150s are my dream goal numbers!
    And awesome re vegetarian requests. Then you can eat something you'll enjoy more too, and a pretty easy request for the caterer.

Wish me luck on the sugar! When I'm determined, I'm usually pretty good. I've been concentrating on how BADLY I feel eating sugar these past couple days, which is always a helpful reminder. I can't wait to be out of the habit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have I mentioned lately how much I love okra? :smile:
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,948 Member
    Options
    Sabine, one of my favorite recipes, and the first time I used okra, and I think first time I ever had it: blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/black-eyed-pea-gumbo.html

I am still fighting the sinus/stuffy thing too. I made this tonight from the OSG cookbook and it is GOOD: ohsheglows.com/2012/11/07/spiced-red-lentil-tomato-and-kale-soup/ She said it would clear my sinuses. I don't know if it did, but it's tasty.

I have read all the vegan guru docs as well. I wanted very much to have McDougall's approach work for me, I love my starches, but I do not lose weight when I eat that amount of starchy carbs. They all have things worth reading though.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Squiggy, that is AWESOME losing 75 pounds. You rock! Congratulations!
  • liapr
    Options
    Sigh, Mihani, that was my hope/fear. Love the idea of being able to eat more starches!!! I think as long as I could keep my sugars down, it would still be okay. Anyway I'm just keeping the different theories in mind. They all have the same basis I guess.

This is semi pathetic, but I managed to get through DAY ONE with no sugary crap or any junky food!!! yay! I'm ready to take on the weekend now too!

Sabine I've never tried okra before!! What does it taste like?

Thanks for the recipe suggestion Mihani, I'm totally making this tonight with my leftover chard...
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It was one year ago last night that I read ETL (at least the first 4 chapters, anyway), and it was 1 year ago today that I started eating vegan. I'm not at my goal, but I'm down 33 lbs. I'd say it was a good year!!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Lia, I guess I shouldn't have said I don't lose weight eating starchy carbs, I don't lose weight eating too much in the way of starchy carbs, and for me eating them just triggers wanting more and more.

But I have been experimenting with other grains and am finding that some, like barley, millet, etc. don't trigger the same cravings so I am going to try to stick more with those and see how I do. And getting through one day is not pathetic in the least. I keep saying I just need to do 1 good day about 100 times in a row lol.

Karrie, I would say this has been an AWESOME year for you... yay! :)

I think I may have pinpointed my sinus flareups, I've been going through closed file boxes to pare them down and send a bunch for shredding, and they are musty dusty files. I went through a couple more boxes today and now I'm all stuffed up again.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Congrats squiggy on your great loss! We win by losing ;-) And congrats to Lia on day 1 of success...cobbling together successful days gets us where we want to go...just sometimes, I drive in the ditch. Or the median. haha.

My dad was off driving restrictions today, so of course, my phone rang at what I am sure he felt as early as is socially acceptable. I helped him haul (with a tractor), split, and stack a big bunch of firewood, so I am thinking I burned some extra calories today. I have to do my official exercise yet...I am late, but, better late than never. When we were almost done with the wood I erupted into a tremendous bout of sneezing..gosh, it went on forever. Followed by my eyes, and a red face. I think it was allergies, with all the wood dust, and the molds/mildews that grow in all the damp leaves and dirt. It did simmer down after I was inside...I was pretty afraid it was a cold that just finally took over my system and announced itself....

Today was pretty successful...although I feel hungry and I had more snacks than usual. Still at my upper calorie goal. Had oatmeal and fruit, a root vegetable stew and roasted garlic bread for lunch, tonight was baked fish with two vegetable "side" dishes...mostly I had the veggies. I feel kind of bad for being higher, maybe it was because for so much of the day I was pretty cold...I even had my snow pants on! Adding more layers tomorrow, going to bed early tonight.

Sure hope everyone starts feeling better soon!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Jean that sounds like some serious calorie burning! I am not adjusting to the colder weather as well as usual either. I seem to be perpetually freezing, except for during the occasional hot flash lol.

Going to do a bunch of cooking today, and laundry, and pet hair removal. I feel like my floors only stay clean for about 2 minutes around here.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I was bored tonight so I made the OSG tortilla soup, finally. Holy smokes it is good. I threw some chopped avocado and crushed blue corn tortilla chips on it. Now I have to revise my diary for the day to add the cup of soup.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    We did wood again yesterday, and are finished...just in time, as it is snowing today...and sticking! Yikes! I am strangely excited about this, don't know why??? I just hope this year it is not so nasty cold, so that we can go out and enjoy it, if it's going to be here til April. Last year we had a ton of snow, but it was so cold, you could hardly get out. Let alone those of us with cold-induced peripheral neuropathy.

I need to look up that tortilla soup, it sounds awfully good and as I finally have the book...I actually had a request from one of the kids to make the texmex casserole again, so that was exciting, lol!

Today am headed to the YMCA and running some errands, then out to ride. Hopefully getting a bunch checked off my list, though trying not to stress out. Happy ETLing!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Jean, that's very cool one of the kids requested the tex mex casserole. It's really good. I have liked all of the recipes I've tried from OSG although I haven't tried too many yet. They have all been very flavorful and filling though, and I like how she incorporates some protein and greens into so many things.

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Sabine congrats on the weight loss
    Karrie: good for you

Mahini: thanks for sharing the recipes I will make the gumbo recipe this week.

I had a eureka moment at the grocery store today. Sometime when I am shopping I make not so great choices in the moment. It occurred to me today to just by a cup of the cut up watermelon to curb my cravings...and it worked! I now have a new game plan for those craving moments is to buy a cup of cut up fruit and a bubbly water. :smiley:

This week looks super busy again at work. I am not sure if I will ever catch up. I will do my best to keep up with everyone.

• Mihani
    Options
    Good morning ETL'ers... had a pretty good weekend and planning on a good week. I'm still up a few pounds from my comfort range and I need to get back into it and then start moving down the scale again.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    I am with you Mahini. Ever since I fractured my elbow I am up a few pounds.

I decided to try to add 20 min of extra cardio in the am before work most days of the week. This way at least I get in 20 min if I get to busy towards the end of the day. I am going to embrace the motto; "early to bed early to rise". I have never been a morning person so this will be a challenge.

Off to do a ton of paperwork. Everyone have a great ETL day.

• squiggysmama
    Options
    Well I had a great meeting on Thursday night... and then my coworkers send all the extra catered food home with me after the meeting. Bleh. I didn't eat any of the meat (ham sandwiches, chicken salad, turkey)... but they just *had* to send home with me the homemade potato chips and tortilla chips. Okay, so I ate way too many chips over the weekend. I haven't weighed myself ... not going to. I'm too afraid I have gained weight from all those chips. Trying to get back up on the wagon today. Fruit for breakfast, and a giant salad for lunch....
  • liapr
    Options
    Hi guys, hope you're all having a good start to the week. Mondays are always a drag, but lucky for me, we actually close the office on Remembrance Day tomorrow, so I have a broken up week. I wish we always were closed on Tuesdays! haha. I have plans to do hot yoga in the morning instead, and then to do lots of cooking, and potentially put up my new christmas decorations! Yes I'm crazy and am already into the spirit and halfway done my shopping (thankful for online shopping...)

I had a rocky on/off weekend. My sugar free lasted until Sunday, which is not long, but I'm back at it today. Yesterday my whole family went out for a delicious breakfast. I ended up with blueberry pancakes, which ended up being the biggest and fluffiest pancakes I've ever seen in my life! And so good. But as a result, I ended being super fluffy for the rest of the day too.

My fiance and I watched Forks Over Knives last night, which I had never seen, and I find those movies always help to remind me why i'm doing this. Feeling motivated for a sugar free week :)

Sounds like everyone is hanging in there and ready to take on the week as well! Great job with the fruit for sweets, Terri, that is what I'm trying this week too! Jean, you must have burned a TON of calories doing all that work! Maybe that's the reason for the extra hunger!? Mihani, glad you got to try the soup! I am still in love with her cookbook. And Squiggy, homemade potato chips would be really hard to turn down!! Back to the grind this week...

<3<3<3
  • Mihani
    Options
    Good luck with your morning exercise Terri... I keep trying to do that, but it's tough.

Squiggy, sounds like a lot of temptation! You'll get right back at it I'm sure.

Lia, you still made it a couple days and every time you make it a few days you're stronger! Enjoy your day off. :)

Great day for me. Not only did I stick to my plan, but I even skipped some of my snacks and that allowed me to eat two bowls of the OSG tortilla soup for dinner which was so filling and good. I topped it with some chopped avocado and a few crushed blue corn tortilla chips. I had no cravings or temptation for pretzels or crackers today and that has been really tough for me lately. Yay! I am really going to concentrate on nutrient dense this week and not worry so much about calories. I'm still going to log, but I am not going to worry about it if I happen to go over. Had too much work to do this evening to get a good workout in, but at least I did my 15 minute yoga DVD. Felt good. Gotta get to bed now. Being tired at work always makes me hungry!
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Please share what main dish you would bring to a large casual party thanks

Made it to the gym yesterday 2 x. Today I plan on going just in the evening. Wed and Friday 2 x. Also, try to not eat any sugar this week.

Lia; I enjoyed watching Forks over knives. Hope it was inspirational for you.

Busy day at work sorry gotta fly