NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,080 Member
    Options
    I was on the leg press doing my workout when a coworker walked by. After I finished, he asked how much I was lifting and how many reps. My trainer answered. My coworker made a slow whistle.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I was on the leg press doing my workout when a coworker walked by. After I finished, he asked how much I was lifting and how many reps. My trainer answered. My coworker made a slow whistle.

That's a nice one!

I sometimes get guys at the gym to high five me on my leg press and dead lifts.......LOL
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

That's a nice one!

I sometimes get guys at the gym to high five me on my leg press and dead lifts.......LOL
    I'm the kind of person who likes to encourage people at the gym too. :)
  • luluinca
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    I get young firefighters walking through during my deadlifts and saying 'holy s$&t, aren't you 60?'

We're breaking the mold you guys!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I get young firefighters walking through during my deadlifts and saying 'holy s$&t, aren't you 60?'
    My coworker is maybe 30 or so. He's tall and a strapping lad but he was over 300 lbs. He asked me about the fitness centre where I work out. I provided him with all kinds of details as well as some info regarding our occupational health coverage (ie: dietitian costs are paid etc). It's good to see him working out and losing weight. He's never asked my age but the gray in the goatee is a pretty solid clue.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options

We're breaking the mold you guys!

I actually had exactly this discussion (argument!) with a college-student personal trainer who subbed for my spin-class instructors during the 4th of July holiday week.

I'd lightly called myself a "li'l ol' lady" - I'm trying to reclaim the term, which I consider a positive - and he said I was not. When I asked why not, he mimed someone hunched, doddering, shaky! I insisted that the terms should be redefined with fit, lively people as exemplars, but he still quibbled.

Finally, I told him that I'm a cancer survivor, so "old" is a victory; and that 18 months ago, I weighed 50% more than I do now, so "little" is also a victory.

I Just. Do. Not. Understand. why our culture thinks "young" is equivalent to "good" and "old" is something one ought to deny. Jeesh, the true alternative to "old" (someday, for all of us) is "dead", plus I wouldn't be 18 again for *anything*.

But I'm all for mold-breaking!
  • luluinca
    Options
    I agree Ann. When someone "younger" than me tells me I look good for my age I tell them they do too!

I'm proud of my 66 years and my choice is to be a fit old lady as opposed to a hunched over one. I think a lot of us think in stereotypes when it comes to age and to be honest after spending so many hours in doctor's offices the past 3.5 months with my husband I can kind of understand why.

My goal is to encourage others our age to become, stay or enjoy being fit. It changes everything!

The reason I'm so active on my newsfeed is because I have a lot of older friends here and I think it's important for them to see what they might be able to do if they put their minds and bodies into it and quit making excuses because of age or aches and pains. Sure, some injuries and illnesses prevent exercise to some degree or even altogether but a lot of it is attitude IMO.

• UncleMac
    Options
    At the risk of sounding trite, it seems like "old" is a state of mind. I'm in my early 50s and have a passion for life. About a year after I divorced, I decided to start dating. Silly me thought it best to look for women around my own age. Imagine my shock when I discovered most of the ones I met were "old" and the one who wasn't old was crazy. I decided to spend a bit more time getting comfortable in my skin and stopped dating.

I think I will follow the example of my paternal grandfather's sister who, at age 97, still lives independently. She's young at heart. Clearly, she's doing something right. This picture is from a year ago when I visited. I stopped to say goodbye as I was headed out on my Harley.

IMG_0866.JPG
  • luluinca
    Options
    She looks great! I had a great aunt who lived to 105 and was still driving at 95......LOL.

I'm hoping I take after her a little!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    At the risk of sounding trite, it seems like "old" is a state of mind. I'm in my early 50s and have a passion for life. About a year after I divorced, I decided to start dating. Silly me thought it best to look for women around my own age. Imagine my shock when I discovered most of the ones I met were "old" and the one who wasn't old was crazy. I decided to spend a bit more time getting comfortable in my skin and stopped dating.

I think I will follow the example of my paternal grandfather's sister who, at age 97, still lives independently. She's young at heart. Clearly, she's doing something right. This picture is from a year ago when I visited. I stopped to say goodbye as I was headed out on my Harley.

(repetition of wonderful photo snipped, for length)
    That's funny . . . I've found men my age (60) a little um, curmudgeonly and under-active (among other things), too. (OTOH, I probably am crazy by most folks' definition, so I won't pot-kettle-black the local guys on that score.) And putting it mildly, younger men are not very interested in older women, so I'm flying solo.

Single life is pretty darn good, though, so I definitely endorse that solution. I've lived alone for 18 years now (after being widowed at age 42). It took a bit to grow into it, but I think I've figured it out now, and I'm probably the happiest I've ever been.
  • luluinca
    Options
    LOL, my youngest daughter started weight lifting about a month ago and is really enjoying it and finally understands why I love it so much.

She just texted me that she dead lifted 100lbs................congratulated her and didn't mention that I'm at 140 lbs on my way back up to 185.....hehehe. I'll save that bit of news for another day! She's 6' tall and outweighs me by about 40 lbs too.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I actually had exactly this discussion (argument!) with a college-student personal trainer who subbed for my spin-class instructors during the 4th of July holiday week.

I'd lightly called myself a "li'l ol' lady" - I'm trying to reclaim the term, which I consider a positive - and he said I was not. When I asked why not, he mimed someone hunched, doddering, shaky! I insisted that the terms should be redefined with fit, lively people as exemplars, but he still quibbled.

Finally, I told him that I'm a cancer survivor, so "old" is a victory; and that 18 months ago, I weighed 50% more than I do now, so "little" is also a victory.

I Just. Do. Not. Understand. why our culture thinks "young" is equivalent to "good" and "old" is something one ought to deny. Jeesh, the true alternative to "old" (someday, for all of us) is "dead", plus I wouldn't be 18 again for *anything*.

But I'm all for mold-breaking!

I agree! I am much more comfortable calling myself the little old lady now. We boomers are redefining expectations. Age is just a number. Wisdom comes with experience, and you don't have much of either at 20.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    She looks great! I had a great aunt who lived to 105 and was still driving at 95......LOL.

I'm hoping I take after her a little!

Unless something changed from last year, Aunt Olive is still driving.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(repetition of wonderful photo snipped, for length)
    That's funny . . . I've found men my age (60) a little um, curmudgeonly and under-active (among other things), too. (OTOH, I probably am crazy by most folks' definition, so I won't pot-kettle-black the local guys on that score.) And putting it mildly, younger men are not very interested in older women, so I'm flying solo.

Single life is pretty darn good, though, so I definitely endorse that solution. I've lived alone for 18 years now (after being widowed at age 42). It took a bit to grow into it, but I think I've figured it out now, and I'm probably the happiest I've ever been.
    Clearly, "getting old" isn't gender specific. I've never asked my great-aunt why she remained single after her second husband passed away but I expect her options weren't appealing so she chose to remain true to herself.

There is a double-standard when it comes to age differentials although it's becoming less relevant (or so I'm told) since the boomers hit their 60s. When I did the online dating thing (ugh!!) I put my age at the centre of the range but I recognize that is not as common. The reason I say "ugh" for online dating is my experience was quite negative. I used current pictures of myself and I was honest in describing my age and so forth. Again, it appears that is not common. Deception or even dishonesty seem a strange way to approach potential relationships.

Faced with a choice between remaining single vs. getting into a negative relationship, I will be single. I got divorced for a reason and I have no intention of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I feel for you Mac., it can't be easy to find someone at our age. Like many here, we don't fit what the expectation is for old folks. Just today I had a Captain ask me 'Holy REDACTED, when did you turn 60?'. I told him May, but I don't act my age. I'm one of the lucky ones, with a great marriage that has stood the test of time and raising three kids. I don't expect to outlive my wife (heart thingy) or to give her any reason to dump me now, but if I did find myself single I don't think I'd be looking to be married again. I'm past the point of changing who I am to meet a new mate half way. For better or worse, I am what I am and it's a take/leave situation at this point. If I had to find someone new, she'd have to be right some tolerant.
  • luluinca
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I feel for you Mac., it can't be easy to find someone at our age. Like many here, we don't fit what the expectation is for old folks. Just today I had a Captain ask me 'Holy REDACTED, when did you turn 60?'. I told him May, but I don't act my age. I'm one of the lucky ones, with a great marriage that has stood the test of time and raising three kids. I don't expect to outlive my wife (heart thingy) or to give her any reason to dump me now, but if I did find myself single I don't think I'd be looking to be married again. I'm past the point of changing who I am to meet a new mate half way. For better or worse, I am what I am and it's a take/leave situation at this point. If I had to find someone new, she'd have to be right some tolerant.

Not sure what I will do if I outlive my husband. I'm not much of a loner but I could live alone. I can't imagine finding a mate again but I wouldn't mind having companionship. I suppose I would move to CO and hang out with my kids but I would try to find an independent group of friends and reenergize some of the hobbies I've given up along the way.

Weird to think about really. With everything going on here I have to admit I have thought about it, somewhat frightfully...........ugghhhh. We've been together for 38 years so it's kind of difficult to imagine anything else really.

I definitely wouldn't want to be hanging out with "old men" or "old women" in the stereotypical sense of those words.
  • UncleMac
    Options

I have no-one to blame but myself as I spent too long trying to make a bad relationship work. One of the fundamental problems was I played along as she tried to change who I am instead of telling her to take or leave. The other fundamental problem was the woman I married didn't exist... "the bride" was an illusion; a mask designed to attract and secure my love & loyalty. The person behind the mask wasn't pleasant, regardless what she looked like...

As mentioned earlier, there is a double standard so I could be looking at someone younger. So far, I've chosen not to do so but that might change. The freedom of being out of that dysfunctional relationship likely earned me an extra couple of decades of life. If some lady is lucky enough to end up sharing part of the journey with me, great!! If not, I'm going to enjoy the ride regardless.

Not planning ahead won't make things easier, lulu. Even if it's not an easy discussion... or if you just choose to explore the notion in the privacy of your own mind, it's far better to have the groundwork in place and never need it than to need it and have nothing.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I have been married 45 years. If anything happened to that I would be ok being single. Don't think I could manage another human being after training the present one so well, lol. On the other note, I don't feel old and I don't think I look old. In fact, I prefer young people, most old people annoy me, talking about their aches and pains. Most don't take me for as old as I am. I try to keep fit, so I don't end up in a scooter like my mom. Unlike Lulu, I am not a fan of weights or any exercise for that matter, but I do it any way. I am not going to be fat again, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Not sure what I will do if I outlive my husband. I'm not much of a loner but I could live alone. I can't imagine finding a mate again but I wouldn't mind having companionship. I suppose I would move to CO and hang out with my kids but I would try to find an independent group of friends and reenergize some of the hobbies I've given up along the way.

Weird to think about really. With everything going on here I have to admit I have thought about it, somewhat frightfully...........ugghhhh. We've been together for 38 years so it's kind of difficult to imagine anything else really.

I definitely wouldn't want to be hanging out with "old men" or "old women" in the stereotypical sense of those words.

Everyone's different, so your mileage may vary, but I have to say that I was wasting any time I spent pre-widowhood thinking about how I'd want to live post-widowhood. I'm a very, very different person than I would ever have imagined I'd become.

Once we knew my husband was, in fact, dying, the most valuable return came from time and energy invested resolving any minor still-open issues between us, and re-appreciating the value and high points of the 20-odd years together. In retrospect, spending energy on those things was what most helped me move forward more sure-footedly later. It was a great gift to have talked about his hopes and wishes for my future, as well.