Holiday Challenge

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The Biscoff truffles are awesome. Will post pics later but they just look like truffles. Making the peanut butter balls now.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Bought my nieces & nephews a package of doughnuts from Wal-Mart's bakery to eat on Christmas morning. They were in the shape of a tree with icing on it & came in a six pack. Well I had two tonight only to make it an even amount for them haha (not).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    Bought my nieces & nephews a package of doughnuts from Wal-Mart's bakery to eat on Christmas morning. They were in the shape of a tree with icing on it & came in a six pack. Well I had two tonight only to make it an even amount for them haha (not).
    You had to test it for poison, obviously.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    For the biscoff (cookie butter) truffles I bought some more expensive chocolate-- Scharffen Berger-- that I happened across at Super Target. I'd never tried it before and honestly I'm not sure it was a lot better than Ghiradelli, which is what I usually get. At the last minute I decided to do peanut butter balls as well so I did the Wilton melting chocolate wafers for that. Surprisingly the melting wafers were a lot harder to use than the plain chocolate bars. You don't have to temper it, which is nice, but it's so thick it's hard to get them coated. I need a tempering thermometer for next year-- mine was close by eyeballing but not perfect. All in all I think that Ghiradelli wins as far as easy chopping/tempering/coating and flavor so I guess I'll go back to it. That probably makes me a chocolate heathen. :wink:

u0eeor2dd5gb.jpg
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Also, Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt has a new limited edition Salted Caramel flavor out. I tried it yesterday. It's decent. Not fantastic, but decent. I think it would be great with maybe some chocolate chips or something added to it to "beef" it up. But it's at least worth a try. I'm still in love with the Caramel Apple Pie flavor though.

I was going to ask how it compares to Caramel Apple Pie - but, you got it covered! I tried Caramel Macchiato and won't go back. Apple Pie it is for me if I want a sweet treat in Greek yogurt (though I like the blueberry, too and frequently have that for breakfast)!

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    There's a brand of Greek yogurt called Stoneybrook or Stoneyfield or something like that-- they have a good caramel flavor. I was getting it really often for my lunches but then with no warning all the stores in my area stopped carrying it. :angry:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    All in all I think that Ghiradelli wins as far as easy chopping/tempering/coating and flavor so I guess I'll go back to it. That probably makes me a chocolate heathen. :wink:

Out here in the SF Bay Area, Scharffen Berger (was Oakland, now SF I think after Hershey bought them) is regarded as higher quality than Ghirardelli (SF), and definitely so for tasting on its own or accompanied by something but still standing on its own (i.e., might serve wine or port with Scharffen Berger alone but probably wouldn't present it so confidently with Ghirardelli). However, it is regarded as more challenging and temperamental when using in many recipes. And I've heard more than a few talented folks lament trying to use SB chocolate in a favorite recipe. SO, you might be a heathen - but the measure of a dessert is how it works overall, and thinking a "higher end" chocolate coating makes or breaks a dessert is probably silly. Yours look great and I bet the taste better!

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    1-tamales
    2-Turkey day stuff. Strawberry cheesecake. Trader Joe's cookie butter cheesecake. Banana cake. Baklava.pumpkin pie.pumpkin beer.more cheesecake.more banana cake.
    3-baklava and more baklava.
    4-strawberry cheesecake, last of the baklava:(
    5-peanut butter pie. Strawberry cheesecake. Banana cake.
    6- 1/2 pint talenti pumpkin pie.
    7- ^ other half of pumpkin pint
    8- whole pizza.
    9- 1/2 pint of old world egg nog and 65 grams of dryers cookie dough.
    10- 2 smores quest bars. 2 home made pork tamales.
    11- felix fire burger
    12- 1\2 pint talenti caramel Apple pie with added caramel from the can experiment.
    13- other half of caramel Apple. Pie.
    14- talenti peppermint bark.
    15- dreyers summer in the city cheesecake
    16- pecan caramel croissant
    17- 2400 calories of all you can eat McDonalds pancakes for a buck. Brown sugar jalapeno Hawaiian pizza for lunch.
    18- everything I looked at. Summer in the city cheesecake.
    19- Captain Crunch cereal.
    20-summer in the city cheesecake ice cream.
    21- work party. Prime rib, crab,oysters, crab mushrooms, bloody Mary's.
    22- cinnamon roll,cinnamon twist,chocolate cake donut.
    23- plain cake donut, dreyers chocolate chip cookie dough, medium popcorn at movie
    24- waffles,butter,syrup..mmmm
    25- monkey bread, sugar cookie dough,caramel sundae
    26- dreyers cookie dough
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    All in all I think that Ghiradelli wins as far as easy chopping/tempering/coating and flavor so I guess I'll go back to it. That probably makes me a chocolate heathen. :wink:

Out here in the SF Bay Area, Scharffen Berger (was Oakland, now SF I think after Hershey bought them) is regarded as higher quality than Ghirardelli (SF), and definitely so for tasting on its own or accompanied by something but still standing on its own (i.e., might serve wine or port with Scharffen Berger alone but probably wouldn't present it so confidently with Ghirardelli). However, it is regarded as more challenging and temperamental when using in many recipes. And I've heard more than a few talented folks lament trying to use SB chocolate in a favorite recipe. SO, you might be a heathen - but the measure of a dessert is how it works overall, and thinking a "higher end" chocolate coating makes or breaks a dessert is probably silly. Yours look great and I bet the taste better!

That makes sense actually. I've heard amazing things about it and it was yummy. I should mention that there was a difference when I sampled it before cooking, I just couldn't really tell a huge difference once was all said and done, probably because the filling stole the show. And it was still easier to use than the cheap stuff. I think going with the mid-range brand for this recipe makes sense on several fronts.
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    1-tamales
    2-Turkey day stuff. Strawberry cheesecake. Trader Joe's cookie butter cheesecake. Banana cake. Baklava.pumpkin pie.pumpkin beer.more cheesecake.more banana cake.
    8- whole pizza.
    11- felix fire burger
    12- 1\2 pint talenti caramel Apple pie with added caramel from the can experiment.
    17- 2400 calories of all you can eat McDonalds pancakes for a buck. Brown sugar jalapeno Hawaiian pizza for lunch.
    23- plain cake donut, dreyers chocolate chip cookie dough, medium popcorn at movie
    26- dreyers cookie dough
    27- brownies, cookies.
  • dunnodunno
    Options
    Had a few servings of Turkey Hill Egg Nog & a homemade Snickerdoodle cookies at work today.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Last night is a blur. There was hot cocoa, fudge and sugar cookies involved though.
  • dunnodunno
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Today so far had another one of the Wal-Mart Bakery Tree Donuts since my nieces & nephews were pretty meh about them, a homemade sugar cookie that was kind of meh, & seven white fudge Oreos. My sister bought me two boxes for Christmas (I looked at Wal-Mart last Thursday & couldn't find anymore boxes of them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Goodies from last couple of days....
    Peanut blossoms and wine for movie watching.
    axk59sq1lp2s.jpg

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Monkey bread for Christmas Eve brunch
    wad6svmnf6p7.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Melted snowman cookies and tiramisu

cdwmnwgb7ew2.jpg
    1ncyd9g0s49n.jpg
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas! Love the Omaha gifts for you and Leo!

Karen that all looks delicious!
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    That Tiramisu looks amazing.
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    1-tamales
    8- whole pizza.
    11- felix fire burger
    26- dreyers cookie dough
    27- brownies, cookies.
    28- everything. Baklava. Cheesecakes. Peanut butter cookies
    29-more than I needed of the aforementioned items
    30- donut. Chocolate a bunch of them.