Jan. 2015 Active Low Carbers

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Hi!
    I've been doing some form of low carb for a year now. (Lost around 30 lbs.) I started out just keeping my carbs under 100 g then moved lower and lower until I was doing a Keto diet, added being (mostly) Paleo/Primal to it and currently am doing lower carb (mostly) Paleo/Primal as with the Holidays I knew that there weren't going to be a lot of good food choices and decided that avoiding the grains was the thing I wanted to worry about the most. Now that most of the parties are over I am trying to see what level of carbs I feel the best on, and if I want to go back to Keto or stay at a slightly higher amount of carbs.
  • VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Hello all..I'm Valerie and I have come back to MFP as of last week. I have been on a form of a LC diet previously and have been successful with it to some degree. I am T2 controlled with medication and would love to be able to reduce the meds I'm on now, or better yet come off them completely. I stumbled upon this group this morning and am very happy I have. I look forward to words of inspiration, motivation, examples, recipies, successes and encouragement from everyone in this group!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    I am Gale (63yo) and when into ketosis as of Oct 2014 after trying all of Aug-Sept and plan to stay with the low carb eating lifestyle because my arthritis pain level is down from 7-8+ to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. I have lost 16 pounds since the first of Oct as a side effect of eating to manage my pain. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know about the info out there one can learn. :)
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Hi! I'm Jaime - I have been on and off mfp for 4ish years but only joined groups and started reading forums at some point in 2014. I've mostly been lurking here... reading everyone's posts, but only today posted for the first time. I have PCOS and am a few stubborn pounds away from my goal. I have never been very over weight, but my gyno told me she wanted me to lose some weight. My husband had some health problems last year (NAFLD) that led to us both using mfp to get and stay on track. Additionally we both tend to feel really sick when we have too much sugar and simple carbs, plus his mom is T2.

We are starting to seriously talk about trying for kids... a close friend of mine with PCOS has been trying for over a year with no luck. I suggested LCHF (which she has done before with amazing results- but said she got bored of her food choices and stopped) since it is supposed to help. So I'm doing it to help keep her on track, to hopefully help me when I'm ready for kids, and to keep my husband healthy as well!!

I am planning to start tomorrow ...
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    So, a question. Does my fitness pal count carbs for you like it does calories or do I need to do that myself. I tried playing with settings but am stumped. I would rather see carb counts than calories.
    Dawl;

As was explained above, be sure your settings are ok and MFP will indeed "count" (track) carbs for you (as "total carbs"). You can add an extension which will calculate and display "net" carbs if you like - I don't ("like"), some others do, choice is yours.

The one thing that you do need to be aware of though (especially if you record "exercise" calories (which I also don't recommend for a number of reasons), MFP will "adjust" your macro numbers (increase cals/carbs/protein/fat) in absolute terms (grams) in order to maintain the same ratio.

This is NOT what you want to do though since carbs and proteins are generally considered to be "fixed" maximums (i.e. 20 or 50 or whatever is your numerical "target". So if you do add exercise numbers, stick to the goal targets, NOT what MFP "adjusts".
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I'm Jenni.. The veggie! I've been a vegetarian since 1995. I started in March 2012 with 100+ to shed. I've been on mfp for 1000+ days. I do LOWER carb and it works for me.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    I was wondering why my goals didn't match my targets!!.. I like to record my exercise but don't believe in eating back the calories for two reasons..1) I know I'm not really burning what it says. 2) my goal in eating is to get my nutrients, I got those... Why eat more. All I burnt was calories and I've got more than enough fat for that. ;)
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    In the past I over rode and posted exercise calories burned as one calorie.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Hola..

My name is Omar, Im 43 from Miami. I've been LC for about 3 months with on and off Keto in between. I transitioned from counting calories cause I was stuck at 228 from 250 and couldn't break. Im now 217 but I can easily gain 7 to 8 pounds in 3 days if im not careful. My goal is to be around 200 (I would be shredded at 200). I'm 5'8 with a muscular frame. I do lift 4 times a week with intermediate cardio in between. Im getting bored with the food and need to learn some new things. Looking forward to participate.

Tight Lines.....
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Hola and welcome, Omar, mucho gusto!
    There, I've used all the Spanish words I know...
    Best2U,
    /tq
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    tq33702 wrote: »
    Hola and welcome, Omar, mucho gusto!
    There, I've used all the Spanish words I know...
    Best2U,
    /tq

Thats pretty good TQ. You could get a long way with those words
    Encantado caballero..
  • KA___
    KA___ Posts: 71 Member
    Hi, I'm Karen, mom of 8, granny to 10. I've been low carb about a year, no particular diet plan, best decision I have ever made. Its a lifestyle change for the whole family, not a diet although I am hoping to drop 15-20lbs this year. I read the forums regularly but don't post much. Generally active on the news feed with mfp friends.This board has been and still is a great place for info. I have the complication that I am recovering from bulimia, LCHF has really helped me with this.I have more energy than ever before. My highest wt was 234lbs( 7years ago) current weight 155lbs, goal wt 137-140lbs
  • deansdad101
    KA___ wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Karen, mom of 8, granny to 10. I've been low carb about a year, no particular diet plan, best decision I have ever made. Its a lifestyle change for the whole family, not a diet although I am hoping to drop 15-20lbs this year. I read the forums regularly but don't post much. Generally active on the news feed with mfp friends.This board has been and still is a great place for info. I have the complication that I am recovering from bulimia, LCHF has really helped me with this.I have more energy than ever before. My highest wt was 234lbs( 7years ago) current weight 155lbs, goal wt 137-140lbs
    KA;

Welcome Aboard, we're glad you are here and look forward to your participation in the LCD "clubhouse" - I'm sure you'll find a number of "like-minded" folks here ready and willing to support your efforts in any way they can.

BUT.....seems like you are WELL on your way, your "progress" to date is a litany many of us look forward to being able to claim as our own one day soon - congrats.

If my quick math is even close it looks like you have only something like 15% of your long term weight loss goal, to go.

Which means you've ALREADY put 85% of it behind you - not to mention all of the OTHER benefits and improved health markers you've garnered along the way.

You've a "right" to be proud of your accomplishments.

• kdj394
    kdj394 Posts: 1
    Hi I'm Ken, 49 years old and lost 77 lbs. last year doing low carb about 20g a day and low calorie about 800 a day, I just Started MFP on Jan 1, 2015. I lost my weight last year on a web site called weight loss wars. I've gained back 30 lbs. and want to get back to a target weight of about 175. I found that the key for me at least, was changing my metabolism while doing low carb and low calorie. I'd like to help others and myself reach our goal weight. I am currently at 203.2 lbs. and have lost 8 lbs. since Jan 1 I know I wont continue losing at this rate but off to a good start. I use a treadmill walking fast for 1/2 hour once or twice a day. Looking forward to losing weight with all of you!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hi everyone :) I'm Nadia. I started LCHF beg. of October 2014, I think. Started with IF eating protocols 5:2 and 16:8 8th of September that broke a 1 year stall/gain. I've lost 13 kg since september, loosely following those three protocols with a couple of weeks diet break in between. In a couple of days I'll get the results from taking exams to be a fitness instructor. I log +1 hour of exercise per day on average.

I do TKD, so I go in and out of ketosis on a regular basis, based on crappy stix. But I can usually smell if I'm back in. I'm still experimenting with carb intake levels, types of carbs and exercise levels to take me back into keto. Think I've been fat adapted since october/november, cause I lost the sense of being hungry about that time.

Although I'm only 4kg from maintenance, I'll continue KCKO because of all the health and general well being that has improved so much for me after LCHF.

Atm I'm an active lurker, due to a family crisis. Just wanted to be on the board for later. I just added a bunch of frds on MFP from reddit, I'm still open for more if you want.

Edit: Forgot to mention I used to be skinny, until quit smoking. In 2008 I was total sedentary and underweight at 47 kg. So having to diet is a new journey for me. Max weight was +70 kg and +27 BMI.

TRIAL AND ERROR FTW
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 590 Member
    I did a lcd back in 2010 and it worked well, I put a stack of weight on during the winter of 2012 and its now time to lose it. I'm not following a particular diet just making soups and having protein shakes if I'm out and about, I allow myself extras based on I'll exercise them off.
    Started Friday morning doing ok aiming to get into ketosis maybe within a few days.

Good luck to everyone.
  • deansdad101
    andysport1 wrote: »
    I did a lcd back in 2010 and it worked well, I put a stack of weight on during the winter of 2012 and its now time to lose it. I'm not following a particular diet just making soups and having protein shakes if I'm out and about, I allow myself extras based on I'll exercise them off.
    Started Friday morning doing ok aiming to get into ketosis maybe within a few days.

Good luck to everyone.
    Andy;

Please DO NOT take this as an "attack", it is NOT meant in that vein and "might" be simply me misreading your first post here. (Which we are VERY glad to have you here - WELCOME).

While there is nothing wrong with "rolling your own" particular diet protocol (as opposed to adopting one of those already "pre-designed") you "might" want to at least consider taking a look at some of the options available.

Things have changed since 2010 and I think you might be glad you spent some time looking into the "basics" of at least a couple before jumping in with both feet.

Specifically, "....making soups and having protein shakes" and ".....I'll exercise them off." doesn't really sound even close to what most would suggest for "any" version of LC, LCHF, VLCHF, or any of the other "flavors" currently recommended.

If what you were doing back then was based on the "low carb, high protein" ideas, you need to know that more recent research has proven such a regimen to be potentially dangerous (for most).

Depending on the specific method you decide on (even if it's one of your own design and just "close" to one of the more recognizable ones) - none that I'm aware of would "require" protein shakes or soups (although if by "soups" you mean "broths", I stand corrected).

Have a look around the group, especially the older threads (click the "see all discussions" link for back threads), and the LCD Launch Pad (click the title of the "Start Here" post at the top in the "Announcements" block.

Again, we really ARE GLAD you're here and post back with any questions you might have after checking out those links (please start a new thread with the title referencing your question).

See you soon

• Wow! So many awesome folks, support, and information here! I just joined a few days ago but have been LC for a few weeks. Coupled with more intentional exercise I've lost 18lbs since the end of November. I'm somewhere between Atkins, Paleo, and "clean".

I'd love to connect with like minded folks!
  • deansdad101
    Wow! So many awesome folks, support, and information here! I just joined a few days ago but have been LC for a few weeks. Coupled with more intentional exercise I've lost 18lbs since the end of November. I'm somewhere between Atkins, Paleo, and "clean".

I'd love to connect with like minded folks!
    Scout;

You just did <BG>

Many folks here have opened their diaries if you'd like to take a peek at meals for ideas and most will gladly accept "friend" requests.

I do, but if you're looking for a "friend", you'd probably do better at the dog store since I'm not much on the whole facebooky thing. Don't take it personally, just not enough hours in a day.

Kidding aside, we're very glad you're here, have a look around and don't be a stranger - there are indeed many really "awesome folks" here.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Hello all, I'm Sugarbeat. I've been T2 diabetic for years and sorta low carbed it but I tend to have a hard time sticking to it, despite the necessity. I consider myself low carb though I don't follow any specific plan. I've found that the weight comes off and the sugar stabilizes if I keep the majority of my diet to lean protein, healthy fats, lots of veggies (but no corn), and limited dairy/starch/fruit. The super low carb diets annoy my stomach so a little starch is necessary. I've been off and on MFP for a few years. My weight pretty much fluctuates and I've not had a lot of success losing it, but I blame myself not the diet. I did lose 5 of the 7 pounds I gained over the holidays, so some success! Anyway, feel free to friend me if any would like. I don't always get to the boards, but I usually check the MFP app/home page.