Jan. 2015 Active Low Carbers

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    My name is Monica and I'm 26 from Louisville KY. I started March at 200 pounds, lost about 28 pounds following a basic carby diet while working out. Stalled out around July and switched to lowering my carbs. Had some personal issues in September and kind of "gave up" at life, and gained about 7/8 pounds back. Starting this new year with a low carb diet but not low enough to claim keto, around 60G a day.
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    My name is Natasha and I am a "newbie" to LCHF. I'm a 28 year old woman. I've yo-yo dieted all my life. My lowest adult weight being 180 my freshman summer of college when I couldn't drink alcohol legally yet. HAHA Alcohol is def my weakness when it comes to dieting. Id be a skinny Minnie for sure if I didn't drink booze! I have always known that I ate a large amount of carbs and sugars so I decided back at the end of October 2014 that I wanted to start getting rid of the carbs in my life so I started with the basics-bread, potatoes, milk (LOVE ME SOME MILK) and have been trying to incorporate the fats back into my life that I have been told have been so bad for me. I was doing very well on it up until Thanksgiving and the holidays. Now that its a new year and a new start im def getting back on the band wagon and keeping my carbs less than 20g a day except for the nights when I indulge in my "liquid bread". Im hoping to see a big difference by my birthday in April. Im also getting my boyfriend on board with this new way of living as well as he has joint issues, high blood pressure and other ailments that I know are attributed to his weight.
    So glad to see so many people out there doing the LCHF!
  • I'm Sue and have been doing LCHF on and off (mostly on) since April 2014. I lost about 24 lbs then went of vacation at an all inclusive in Nov. I was out of control since then until Jan 2 when I realized that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I gained 8 lbs. I am again in the foothills and doing induction once again. I am in Ketosis and have lost an unbelieveable 4 lbs since Friday. This group is helpful in that I keeps me focused.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Welcome, Ms Sue...!
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Hi, I joined the group end of December. Been on low"er" carb since August (goal 50 grams) per day. A couple splurges over the holidays remind me I feel much better without the extra carbs. I'm more of a reader than a writer.
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Hi, I joined the group end of December. Been on lower carb since August (goal 50 grams) per day. A couple splurges over the holidays remind me I feel much better without the extra carbs. I'm more of a reader than a writer.
  • melyndavaz
    melyndavaz Posts: 67 Member
    Hi All, I changed my way of eating to lchf on Jan. 2 of this year. My goal is to make healthier living a habit. I am 41, 5'1 and 173 lbs. I would love to initially lose 45 lbs and see how I feel. I joined MFP in 2013 at 189 lbs but didn't take my weight loss seriously. Now I am determined.

I would really like some like minded friends to keep me accountable and I will return the favor.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    edited January 2015
    Frob, thank YOU so much for starting this thread. It's a great mix of old and new and I think everyone will benefit from this strong networking opportunity.

As for me, I'm Darlene, DAM5412 being my initials and wedding date. I joined MFP a few years ago, right before my wedding, for the reasons most brides join a weight loss forum. I started counting calories and working out like a fiend. Lost a little weight, felt stronger, healthier and fit the dress...after the wedding, worked out still but lost my commitment to eating healthy and for the next year or so let myself go a bit. Then in April of last year, realized I was at my highest non-pregnancy weight ever and after going through multiple health scares with my obese and diabetic mother, decided I couldn't follow her path. Started slashing calories and working out again. For a few months that worked fine, but soon enough, I found that the more I worked out, the more I wanted to eat and in September decided to try managing my diet 1st and then exercise second. So for then next 2 months went KETO and what a lifestyle change that was. I lost the about 15 lbs during that time, just about the same I had lost in the 5 months prior though calorie restriction and exercise.

I'll be honest, after Thanksgiving, I gave myself a pass for the holidays and stopped eating KETO. And continuing in the honest vein, I started to feel like crap! I gained back 8 lbs and ate (and drank) whatever I wanted. My energy lagged, my sleep patterns returned (the are bad) and I realized that Keto just makes me happier.

So January 1st, back at it and very happy with the ease I've had during this transition (no keto flu!!) and have already dropped 3lbs.

I love this group, I have learned so much and I know that I will continue to learn and succeed. My next goal is to get down to 155 lbs, while also incorporating more exercise, though I truly believe (now at least) diet has the biggest impact.
  • karietate
    karietate Posts: 39 Member
    Hello all, I am so excited I found this board. I have been a MFP'er for a couple years now and have left and come back many a times. Trying LC after doing research on it and seeing the amazing benefits my father in law has had with it. At my heaviest weight of 201 and have never been more depressed in my life about it. It is time to do something about it in 2015.

Good Luck to everyone :smiley:
  • Japkoo
    Japkoo Posts: 34 Member
    My name is Kelly and I just started LCHF 2 days ago. Have been tracking but need a change in my WOE. I strive to eat cleaner and get in shape. 10 years ago I lost 40 lbs doing WW but slowly gained it back plus some. 2 kids later and approaching 40 I want to change my life for me and my kids. Next week will be 8 weeks quit smoking. I started tracking so I wouldn't gain, joined the gym and am now motivated to lose 40-50 lbs!!
    Feel free to add me as well as it is motivating for everyone!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I'm Melanie and I have on and off MFP for a couple of years now. I'll get in the momentum, have a hurdle, and then be off for a little while.
    I used low carb years ago to lose 90 pounds. Felt great, maintained (yes I even ate carbs again), and then I got pregnant with my son (who will be 3 in summer....EEEEEK) and I ate EVERYTHINGGGGG. I have been trying to lose the weight since.
    I have tried low calorie diets (on and off MFP), and I just don't like it. I like feeling fuller with low carb and feeling better. My macros fit a keto WOE for right now, may adjust in future.
    My goal for 2015 is to get under my prepregnancy weight which would mean ONEderland. With my son turning 3, we are ready for #2 but I refuse to do that even close to the weight I am right now. I also need to get more active CONSISTENTLY. I would love to complete a half marathon in 2015.
    I hate being THAT person, but yes, New Year's resolutions brought me back to MFP after a hiatus LOL
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    I'm Tracy. I am starting up again with low carb pretty much as of today and this time my husband is on board which makes it much easier (although our goals are different). My goal is to get into ketosis and improve my health, lower sugar cravings, reduce inflammation, etc. and of course lose excess body fat. I have lupus and some other health issues (including hormonal) and I have about 75 lbs to lose. I'm six feet tall. I have two kids and most of it is baby weight I have yet to lose, my youngest is 8 months. I live in Las Vegas and I'm a lawyer.
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hey y'all! I am Candice, I have been doing LC this time around since November 2014. I have had a few setbacks with the holidays, but I am ready to press on this month! I have a vacation in February that I would reaaallllllly like to lose some weight for. I don't follow any specific plan, similar to atkins, just trying to stay at or below 25g carbs for now. LC living is my goal long term, not just doing it for a quick fix. My vacation is good starting point to get me motivated this first true month. Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend if you need a buddy!
  • jharvey22289
    jharvey22289 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I'm Jamie I've been active for three days now my last stint was in feb to September of last yr I lost almost fifty lbs I have gained quite a bit back and am determined to reach my seventy lb goal this time!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm Sabine. I'm NOT a low carber. I just like you guys. :smile: I do try to eat "slow carb" most of the time.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I'm Sabine. I'm NOT a low carber. I just like you guys. :smile: I do try to eat "slow carb" most of the time.

:+1:
    The feeling is mutual. :mrgreen:
  • maewest131
    maewest131 Posts: 1 Member
    My name is Penny and I'm from northeastern Tennessee. I've been low carbing off and on for two years. I joined MFP today. Still trying to figure everything out on here. Hoping there is a way to configure the food log a bit better for us low carbers. Good luck to everyone on their woe. :)
  • lifeofheart
    lifeofheart Posts: 13 Member
    I am new to Myfitness Pal and to the lowcarb, high fat, mod protein lifestyle. I would love some support and don't mind sharing ideas and sending encouraging words to those involved in the struggle to go low carb and stay there! Please let me know how I can be added to this group.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Hi all. I'm Linda and have been lchf since August. I took off 10 days during Christmas and, unfortunately, really enjoyed it. So I'm working my way back.

I'm in my mid 40's, married, 4 kids, and am a small business owner.

And...it's so awesome to see this forum active!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I am new to Myfitness Pal and to the lowcarb, high fat, mod protein lifestyle. I would love some support and don't mind sharing ideas and sending encouraging words to those involved in the struggle to go low carb and stay there! Please let me know how I can be added to this group.

Hi Life! you are already in this group if you read along! It is not such a formal process.

I am Cheryl and I have been low carbing since about March 2013. Not VLC though, as I live in Japan and am surrounded by rice... ;) So I eat between 50-80 grams of carbs per day, mostly from vegs. Stopped sugar and processed carbage mainly, and I am feeling much better. I started out at 82 kg, now down to 70-71 (gained some water weight over the holidays) kg. The nice thing is that my blood markers have all improved since starting this way of eating, and I feel much less achy and tired. I love reading the forum, so will be here forever, probably! Feel free to friend me. My diary is open.