Jan. 2015 Active Low Carbers

Options

Replies

• MynameisKimba
    Options
    Hi everyone. :) I'm Kimba, and I was first introduced to low carb via Atkins about 6 years ago. My wife and I went on it together, lost a lot, then we fell off the wagon and gained all of it back (and then some). I went back to low carb in November and have since lost 12 lbs. I'm sticking with it for the long haul this time. It's a way of life. :)
  • alisonclarec
    alisonclarec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Alison, I started low carb in october at 40 g now hover around 60g. Lost 19lbs with another 20 to go but this is a way of life/eating now so will carry on logging. Happy to share my food diary with anyone.
  • naomig04
    Options
    Hi, I'm just starting out. Have so far just cut out processed carbs eg bread, pasta etc. need to find out more about how to do this properly!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Just checking in as a lurker.

I used to be vegetarian, and was chronically tired, fatigue...I started eating more animal protein, when doing intensive training, and the chronic fatigue left. I realized that I could not do the things I need to do on a vegetarian diet. (Note, everyone is different, maybe full vegetarian works for some, not me).

Feeling much better now on low carb diet.
  • kkann91
    kkann91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello all! New to the group, and trying to cut my carbs down! I'm a huge carb junkie, easily over 150g of carbs per day, and that's when I was "trying to cut carbs" I've been eating much healthier over the past year, and I love the way I feel better since changing eating habits! Anywho, trying to keep my carbs under 40g per day, we'll see how it goes :) getting married in August and want to drop a few pounds :)
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm moonius and I just found this group last month. I started on Atkins in 2008, lost 40 pounds and quit. Last year I lost 47 pounds on a medically supervised program. Since then I have returned to eating LCHF. I have T2 diabetes and I keep tweaking my macros until I find the right balance for personal weight loss. Currently I'm eating 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs, use intermittent fasting and I get a minimum of 10,000 steps in each day.
  • Y0NSTER
    Y0NSTER Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My lifestyle is LCHF primal. I have lost 50lbs and will lose another 70lbs this year. I am a FitBit fan and aim to get 10k steps every day. Please feel free to add me! Always looking for support and motivation.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Just checking in as a lurker.

I used to be vegetarian, and was chronically tired, fatigue...I started eating more animal protein, when doing intensive training, and the chronic fatigue left. I realized that I could not do the things I need to do on a vegetarian diet. (Note, everyone is different, maybe full vegetarian works for some, not me).

Feeling much better now on low carb diet.

We love lurkers. Heck, 75%+ of the people in the group appear to be lurkers*.

I am an ex-vegetarian myself. I also had issues with energy and vegetarianism. While it may be possible for some people to live healthy lives, I truly believe it is not possible for all people. I actually have strong doubts about the health claims of vegetarianism. Granted, I have gone to the other extreme, so it's certainly not because I believe in the middle way. LOL

* I base the 75%+ estimate on the fact that over 400 people have joined so far this month and around 100 people have posted in this thread. There are probably many more people who have been lurking for longer than that. On top of that, many of the posts here are by "would-be" lurkers under normal conditions.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    kkann91 wrote: »
    Hello all! New to the group, and trying to cut my carbs down! I'm a huge carb junkie, easily over 150g of carbs per day, and that's when I was "trying to cut carbs" I've been eating much healthier over the past year, and I love the way I feel better since changing eating habits! Anywho, trying to keep my carbs under 40g per day, we'll see how it goes :) getting married in August and want to drop a few pounds :)

Kk,

Stick with this group. I just found it right before NYs day. They are supportive and informative. I know low carb, but am learning more about fat/protein ratio as a thing to watch as well. I do not lose much at 40g/day but this may be fine for you.

-Dawl
  • bkaye1984
    Options
    new to this group but i have also LC off and on for years. It really works well for me. lastyear in oct i started my weightloss journey at 218. and I got down to 138 with two thirty min exercises (first in morn and last at night) in my bedroom-in front of a mirror.. ( just cardio and some weights.. and dancing) .. also I did low carb meals and snacks and i had protien shakes as well. it worked wonders for me. Recently i moved in with my love and well,,, you know what they say- once youre happy and in love and living w your mate- here comes the pounds... -_- .... I have only gained back ten lbs but my knees feel it and my body is turning to flub cause i stopped working out since ive been so busy with my two lil boys and my love lately.. not a great excuse- i know! but .. I am back on LC as of yesterday and starting tomrw,,, I will be incorporating my exercise routines as well.. I am excited because I know how great I felt when I worked out an toned up my body before. feel free to friend me and follow my journey.. I love meeting new people on here and watching your stories and progress as well :wink: .... heres to a new year!!! we got this!! =D[/b][/b][/b]
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'm Jess. Or you can call me Bacon.
    I turned 36 today, Jan 1st. Ugh.
    I've been ketoing for 7mo. With exactly 2 cheats. And they are all done. I've lost 72lbs and have 30 to go. And they are being a bear to get rid of.

At the end of May 2014, I ran into a progress pic online of a paleo/keto girl. My husband actually found it and sent it to me. So I found r/keto on Reddit, read up
    on it, joined a LC forum on another site. I had great success just counting carbs until about the 3rd month when I started to stall. So I joined MFP to log my calories as well.

Low-carbing has been great for me. I have so much more energy, cravings disappeared, my ADD (induced by antidepressants-a big sarcastic 'thanks' to my dr...pfft) has improved greatly, my moderate Chronic Fatigue is much better as well, and this way of eating has been effortless for the most part. I really like eating like this way. After I ate my cheat meal last night, I was really wishing I ate a steak smothered in cheese and mushrooms and some creamy greens!!!

Here's some advice: No matter what happens (scale stalls, life drama, the sky falling) take one day at a time (or even one meal at a time if you have to) and Keep Calm and Low-Carb On.
    So, a question. Does my fitness pal count carbs for you like it does calories or do I need to do that myself. I tried playing with settings but am stumped. I would rather see carb counts than calories.
    Dawl;

As was explained above, be sure your settings are ok and MFP will indeed "count" (track) carbs for you (as "total carbs"). You can add an extension which will calculate and display "net" carbs if you like - I don't ("like"), some others do, choice is yours.

The one thing that you do need to be aware of though (especially if you record "exercise" calories (which I also don't recommend for a number of reasons), MFP will "adjust" your macro numbers (increase cals/carbs/protein/fat) in absolute terms (grams) in order to maintain the same ratio.

This is NOT what you want to do though since carbs and proteins are generally considered to be "fixed" maximums (i.e. 20 or 50 or whatever is your numerical "target". So if you do add exercise numbers, stick to the goal targets, NOT what MFP "adjusts".

Deansdad, I can not figure out how to count net carbs. Is there FAQ answer out there?
    -Dawl

Deansdad, I still have not figured out how to do the net carb "extension". My atkins bars count as 23 carbs, when really the net would be 3g. I would like it to show the net carbs.
    Also, what is the proper protein to fat ratio? I am kinda guessing here. Never knew that too much protein could stall weight loss.

Thanks,

-Dawl
  • VirtualMaddy
    VirtualMaddy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto since mid-August. I'm also a former vegetarian and eating meat is my biggest challenge. Mostly I stick with nuts, cheese, and lots of eggs and butter. Since many say cheese and nuts will stall weight loss, I'm try to do some days without them and to add meat. I heard Carl's Jr now has a grass-fed natural burger, hope to try it today. At my highest weight, my BMI was 26 and now I'm at 22.5. I'd love to lose 10 pounds. Unlike most women, every ounce of fat I have is in my stomach, yuck! I shoot for macros of 80/15/5. I love this diet, I cheated with some Cheez-Its the other day and realized I don't even like them anymore. I don't exercise, but might start soon. I'm always looking for friends, add me!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    I've been on Keto since mid-August. I'm also a former vegetarian and eating meat is my biggest challenge. Mostly I stick with nuts, cheese, and lots of eggs and butter. Since many say cheese and nuts will stall weight loss, I'm try to do some days without them and to add meat. I heard Carl's Jr now has a grass-fed natural burger, hope to try it today. At my highest weight, my BMI was 26 and now I'm at 22.5. I'd love to lose 10 pounds. Unlike most women, every ounce of fat I have is in my stomach, yuck! I shoot for macros of 80/15/5. I love this diet, I cheated with some Cheez-Its the other day and realized I don't even like them anymore. I don't exercise, but might start soon. I'm always looking for friends, add me!

Looking for fellow low carb friends- will friend you. :-)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I've been ketoing for 7mo. With exactly 2 cheats. And they are all done. I've lost 72lbs and have 30 to go. And they are being a bear to get rid of.

At the end of May 2014, I ran into a progress pic online of a paleo/keto girl. My husband actually found it and sent it to me. So I found r/keto on Reddit, read up
    on it, joined a LC forum on another site. I had great success just counting carbs until about the 3rd month when I started to stall. So I joined MFP to log my calories as well.

Low-carbing has been great for me. I have so much more energy, cravings disappeared, my ADD (induced by antidepressants-a big sarcastic 'thanks' to my dr...pfft) has improved greatly, my moderate Chronic Fatigue is much better as well, and this way of eating has been effortless for the most part. I really like eating like this way. After I ate my cheat meal last night, I was really wishing I ate a steak smothered in cheese and mushrooms and some creamy greens!!!

Here's some advice: No matter what happens (scale stalls, life drama, the sky falling) take one day at a time (or even one meal at a time if you have to) and Keep Calm and Low-Carb On.
    So, a question. Does my fitness pal count carbs for you like it does calories or do I need to do that myself. I tried playing with settings but am stumped. I would rather see carb counts than calories.
    Dawl;

As was explained above, be sure your settings are ok and MFP will indeed "count" (track) carbs for you (as "total carbs"). You can add an extension which will calculate and display "net" carbs if you like - I don't ("like"), some others do, choice is yours.

The one thing that you do need to be aware of though (especially if you record "exercise" calories (which I also don't recommend for a number of reasons), MFP will "adjust" your macro numbers (increase cals/carbs/protein/fat) in absolute terms (grams) in order to maintain the same ratio.

This is NOT what you want to do though since carbs and proteins are generally considered to be "fixed" maximums (i.e. 20 or 50 or whatever is your numerical "target". So if you do add exercise numbers, stick to the goal targets, NOT what MFP "adjusts".

Deansdad, I can not figure out how to count net carbs. Is there FAQ answer out there?
    -Dawl

Deansdad, I still have not figured out how to do the net carb "extension". My atkins bars count as 23 carbs, when really the net would be 3g. I would like it to show the net carbs.
    Also, what is the proper protein to fat ratio? I am kinda guessing here. Never knew that too much protein could stall weight loss.

Thanks,

-Dawl

I think that he's in Mexico on vacation. My web has been down so I haven't been able to do anything. I'm planning on working up a FAQ on Net carbs this week.

By "extension", do you mean the scripts? Sometimes it's a matter of trying different ones and finding one of them that works with your browser. I personally arrange my carbs and fiber columns right beside each other and just subtract them so as not to fool with scripts that may or may not work with my browser.

I think you need to install the Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey extensions before the Net Carb hack to get it to work properly.

Anyone else have any more experience with this?
  • fleasonfluffy
    fleasonfluffy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Diane. I have done Atkins on and off since the mid '70s. I don't seem to lose as well as I used to, so I am using this site to try to keep better track of my food intake and exercise. I try to keep my carbs at 20 and under, but I think I also need to watch my calories more than I have in the past. I am down about 30 pounds from my highest weight and hope to lose another 55 pounds this year to get to 150. I am 60 years old.
  • angela_carreen
    angela_carreen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Angela. I'm 31 and a mom to 4 kids. I was low carb after my 3rd mostly for 2 years. Got pregnant with my 4th and "enjoyed" my pregnancy. I'm just getting back in and need to stay this way. My old eating habits are very unhealthy and not sustainable for me to have any energy to enjoy life. I'm not really counting carbs at the moment, just macros. I have keto sticks ordered and I'm focusing on hitting up the gym this month. Very happy to find this group! Especially when I have my mom tellin how wrong every thing is with my food. She's in WW.
  • lucysmommy2007
    lucysmommy2007 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi im kirsty - mum to one girl aged 7 - i am starting back low carb on monday - please feel free to add me just now or you can wait till monday if you want thanks - oh and i have 80lbs to lose :blush:
  • PeaceLoveNDaisies
    Options
    Hello all.....Brandi here. I have been doing LC for about 4 months and down almost 40 pounds depending on the day. Hubby and I were working with a weight loss clinic and as of this weekend will start trying this without the accountability of the clinic weigh ins every week. I am afraid I will not be as dedicated without that accountability, but can't keep paying them forever. I welcome any friend requests....will need all the help I can get going forward!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Dawl;

-Dawl

Thanks,

-Dawl
    Dawl;

In the Launch Pad, scroll down to "Miscellany"

I've not used that specific set of instructions but if you run into "issues" with the script downloads someone should be able to help, happens frequently (changing mirrors).

In fact, I've pretty much given up on the whole "net carbs" thing - too much work, "breaks" too often, and too confusing. Much simpler to just stick with "total" carbs. I think it's still on one of my browsers but next time it breaks, it's history.

On protein, you will get suggestions all across the board from 150g/day to 50 or so.

I'm in the 0.6 - 1.0g/day/pound, Lean Body Mass @ Target Weight for all but the most extreme of exercisers.

LCHF has demonstrated that the body utilizes protein much more efficiently when fat adapted and excessive protein levels will impede B-OHB ketone body production kicking one out of fat adaptation.

Much like carbs, there is a specific "threshold" or "tolerance" level for each person and they vary quite widely so there really is no "right" number for anyone but you.

Too little isn't good and too much will impede ketosis. It's actually pretty tough to not get enough, more difficult to not exceed the upper limits. For "most" people 65-95g/day is probably a reasonable "range" estimate.

Also like carbs, protein should be viewed as a "hard" number rather than a percentage. Once you've found your tolerance numbers (say 25 carbs/85 protein, e.g.) you'll see them as a percentage but if you change total cals in, the percentage will change but leave the 25/85 as they are.

Here's a very well thought out "outline" of the basics I follow.

No Sugar No Starch

While no two people can (or should) follow exactly the same "rules", these guidelines are a good start. They were compiled by the Clinic at Duke University which is where Dr Eric Westman has done his research.

That, plus the fact that the music is AWESOME makes it (IMO) a worthwhile "take" - enjoy.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just joined the group recently. I have come to low carb gradually...in fact, I have probably been more in the moderate carb bucket for most of that. I first got interested for weight loss purposes. At my high, I weighed 267 pounds...I'm 5'10, but that is still well into the obese category. A couple of years ago I made an effort to cut back on sugar and wheat and starchy vegetables. There have been some stops and starts along the way, but this morning I was 180.6.

The past three or four months, I have gotten more focused on further reducing carbs. I have generally been at 100-150 grams per day. About a week ago I decided to try to consistently stay under 100 total...six days so far at that level. I still haven't decided if I ultimately want to try to get under 50. But if I do, I want to make sure I can stick with it long enough to make a fair judgement of how I feel doing that. I know I definitely feel much better limiting carbs, so I'm open to the idea if it makes sense for me. My interest now goes well beyond weight loss. I have much more energy this way, don't get tired after meals...my skin even looks better though I can't prove that is a result of reducing carbs. :)