January ETL - Nutritarian New Year!

Options

Replies

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I had/have a fitbit! I found it a lot of fun and really interesting for the first couple months! I was really interested in seeing how much I walked on an average day and also an idea of calories burned! But then I just started wearing it less and less lol. Let me know what you think :) And I second Sabine, super super easy.

Mihani, so happy your hands are less pained though, that is great news! Crossing fingers for your work schedule too. Do you feel like you are used to it after a few years of busyness?

I had the best hot yoga session yet last night! I was dreading going because I know after the new year, it would be SO busy, and it was, but I felt really good and had so much energy during and even AFTER which never happens. I like to think that maybe the plant-based nutrition is helping! Even if it's just placebo effect?

Calico, delicious drink idea, I love that.

Karrie, that is awful about your back!! Sorry to hear that. How is it feeling today? It's so scary falling in the winter. My secretary fell on ice and fractured her shoulder, which has made her forever nervous, and now me nervous too.

By the way, I suck at salads... in writing my meal plan, I was realizing that I basically alternate between vegan caesar and boring romaine + veggies. I usually use Newman's Own Balsamic Light (thanks to Mihani I think) or the OSG caesar dressing recipe. I am going to be adventurous and try out the ETL Micro Orange Salad from the ETL cookbook. But I was thinking that, especially in the winter, I really enjoy my veggies cooked or dipped in hummus! Haha.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A great day for me today. Big and delicious smoothie for breakfast, and some nuts. Lunch was a huge kale salad. Dinner tonight is cauliflower pizza crust pizza with some beautiful vegetables. And olives for dessert. And ONE glass of red wine.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I am surprised how long the fitbit holds a charge.

Karrie the wellness challenge sounds like a great idea.

Lia, I have resigned myself to having no life. I keep telling my boss if I ever decide to go out and get a life he’s going to be extremely screwed. Awesome yoga! I probably did mention the Newman’s light balsamic… that’s my favorite store-bought dressing.

I made the Veganomicon Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry tonight and served over brown long-grain rice. It was delicious. So warm and comforting and I needed that. We had several inches of snow by yesterday morning. Then today it got bitter cold, in the teens all day, and tomorrow it is supposed to be -25 with wind chill. I have been bundling up and going outside with the dogs so I can get them to hurry and come back in, but even just a minute out there and they come in limping. Poor pups. I may have to look into some booties for them. I believe my shepherd would be very resistant to the bootie concept though. I think I’m going to sleep on the couch downstairs tonight because it is warmer.

So another good food day behind me. I have felt really focused and in control the past week. I have no idea where this is coming from. I’m as clueless when I’m on track as I am when I’m off.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    I am surprised how long the fitbit holds a charge.

Karrie the wellness challenge sounds like a great idea.

Lia, I have resigned myself to having no life. I keep telling my boss if I ever decide to go out and get a life he’s going to be extremely screwed. Awesome yoga! I probably did mention the Newman’s light balsamic… that’s my favorite store-bought dressing.

I made the Veganomicon Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry tonight and served over brown long-grain rice. It was delicious. So warm and comforting and I needed that. We had several inches of snow by yesterday morning. Then today it got bitter cold, in the teens all day, and tomorrow it is supposed to be -25 with wind chill. I have been bundling up and going outside with the dogs so I can get them to hurry and come back in, but even just a minute out there and they come in limping. Poor pups. I may have to look into some booties for them. I believe my shepherd would be very resistant to the bootie concept though. I think I’m going to sleep on the couch downstairs tonight because it is warmer.

So another good food day behind me. I have felt really focused and in control the past week. I have no idea where this is coming from. I’m as clueless when I’m on track as I am when I’m off.

That curry sounds great!
  • liapr
    Options
    I have felt really focused and in control the past week. I have no idea where this is coming from. I’m as clueless when I’m on track as I am when I’m off.

Lol that made me laugh. I think I am like that too. For no rhyme or reason, I will suddenly be really determined. And just as easily find ideas to stray too. Great week for you, Mihani and Sabine!!

I know I am down a few pounds of Christmas weight, which isn't that exciting, but still good. I am trying to weigh myself less often because I would really like this to be a permanent change this year; last year I started off the year really thinking more quick-fix I think, without really realizing it.

Mmm I haven't had the red lentil cauli curry in awhile! I made curried green lentil soup last night, yumm. Also -25 here with the windchill, and I can't get enough warm foods and liquids into my body!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    liapr wrote: »
    I have felt really focused and in control the past week. I have no idea where this is coming from. I’m as clueless when I’m on track as I am when I’m off.

Lol that made me laugh. I think I am like that too. For no rhyme or reason, I will suddenly be really determined. And just as easily find ideas to stray too. Great week for you, Mihani and Sabine!!

I know I am down a few pounds of Christmas weight, which isn't that exciting, but still good. I am trying to weigh myself less often because I would really like this to be a permanent change this year; last year I started off the year really thinking more quick-fix I think, without really realizing it.

Mmm I haven't had the red lentil cauli curry in awhile! I made curried green lentil soup last night, yumm. Also -25 here with the windchill, and I can't get enough warm foods and liquids into my body!

That sounds far too cold for me! In C or in F!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The thing is that I think it would have been better if I fell. I think trying not to fall hurt a lot more! My back was definitely better this morning. Still stiff, but I had more mobility first thing in the morning when I woke up than I had even yesterday. So that's a good sign. I am going to start on the treadmill on Sunday, but I'm going to take the first week nice & easy to ease into it.

I haven't tried the OSG caesar dressing yet, so I will definitely have to add that into the mix - Caesar salad used to be my #1 favorite, so I'm really surprised that I haven't tried it yet. I guess I'm skeptical that I'll like it, so I've shied away from it...

How do you make a cauliflower crust for pizza?? I am very intruiged!!

I think it's -40º with the wind chill here this morning. It's really freakin' cold!! I am only down 1 lb of the xmas weight so far. But at least it's going in the right direction. But this cold weather DEFINITELY has me wanting my comfort foods!! Last night I tried the OSG smashed potatoes with garlic avocado aioli. SOOOOO tasty!!! I highly recommend it!! I made a couple extra potatoes yesterday so I can have it again tonight (I still have a TON of aioli left too - will have to drizzle that one a couple of other things too, I think. Oh! I bet it would be amazing in a veggie sandwich!!)

The cold also has me knitting up a storm. My basement is where I sew, but it's too cold down there right now, so I have been staying upstairs on the couch with a blanket, and I've been making socks and boot cuffs. Nice, quick projects! I should have a very nice pair of cabled socks and cabled mittens by the end of the weekend. So I'm almost ready for a bigger project. Last night I bought some lace yarn and I'm going to make myself this sweater for spring! I'm a bit bustier than that, though, so it'll look a bit different. And mine will be all one color - a very deep, dark violet.

Alright, I have to get to work. Everyone have a great day!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The thing is that I think it would have been better if I fell. I think trying not to fall hurt a lot more! My back was definitely better this morning. Still stiff, but I had more mobility first thing in the morning when I woke up than I had even yesterday. So that's a good sign. I am going to start on the treadmill on Sunday, but I'm going to take the first week nice & easy to ease into it.

I haven't tried the OSG caesar dressing yet, so I will definitely have to add that into the mix - Caesar salad used to be my #1 favorite, so I'm really surprised that I haven't tried it yet. I guess I'm skeptical that I'll like it, so I've shied away from it...

How do you make a cauliflower crust for pizza?? I am very intruiged!!

I think it's -40º with the wind chill here this morning. It's really freakin' cold!! I am only down 1 lb of the xmas weight so far. But at least it's going in the right direction. But this cold weather DEFINITELY has me wanting my comfort foods!! Last night I tried the OSG smashed potatoes with garlic avocado aioli. SOOOOO tasty!!! I highly recommend it!! I made a couple extra potatoes yesterday so I can have it again tonight (I still have a TON of aioli left too - will have to drizzle that one a couple of other things too, I think. Oh! I bet it would be amazing in a veggie sandwich!!)

The cold also has me knitting up a storm. My basement is where I sew, but it's too cold down there right now, so I have been staying upstairs on the couch with a blanket, and I've been making socks and boot cuffs. Nice, quick projects! I should have a very nice pair of cabled socks and cabled mittens by the end of the weekend. So I'm almost ready for a bigger project. Last night I bought some lace yarn and I'm going to make myself this sweater for spring! I'm a bit bustier than that, though, so it'll look a bit different. And mine will be all one color - a very deep, dark violet.

Alright, I have to get to work. Everyone have a great day!!

That does NOT sound fun. Hope it's improving quickly.

Here's the cauliflower pizza crust recipe I used yesterday (i've been trying a few). It's a great way to get a whole head of cauliflower into your day!)
    http://detoxinista.com/2012/01/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Thanks!! I will definitely be giving that a try!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    EtL pals, a questions: coconut water, yay or nay?
  • Mihani
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lia, yay for Christmas weight coming off. I think I may have had the same idea in my head, that I would just hurry up and lose weight. This week is really reminding me that a big important part of all this is how great I feel and how much energy I have when I eat right.

Karrie you are so multi-talented, and that sweater is beautiful. I was looking at that potato recipe the other day, now I will have to try it after your review.

Sabine, I can’t wrap my head around a cauliflower crust pizza, but it sounds interesting. I’ll likely try it eventually. Oh, edited to add that I've never tried coconut water.

Another good day. Same ol’ breakfast and lunch. Dinner was about half a serving of leftover lentil soup. Plus I had a bag of steamfresh asparagus in the freezer so on a whim I looked up vegan hollandaise sauce. I found a recipe and followed it fairly closely, but cut the oil in half. The end result was so delicious. I scarfed down that entire bag of steamed asparagus with the sauce. I don’t know whether I’ve ever had real hollandaise so I can’t say whether it tastes like it, but it was really good. I’ll post the recipe.

Oh, and the grocery had mega deals on citrus fruit so I have oranges and grapefruits galore. Going to try some new smoothies using some of them I think.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The cauliflower pizza crust is DEFINITELY worth a try. If you like pizza (of any kind) but like eating healthy, it's worth trying.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Okay, dinner tonight: off pattern. Not in a SAD way, but off pattern for me and BLECH can I feel it. Too much cheese. Note to self: don't do this again for a long, long time.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Just briefly checking in. Sorry I have been mia been under a general malaise lately. So.... tired. I figure it is time to start logging again to make sure not too many slips.

Had a great trip to Florida for Xmas going back next Thursday yeah. I am not a cold weather gal.

My son has been home for college break so glad we have spent a lot of time together.

made the dr fuhrman vegetable lasagna last night. it was pretty good.

Have a great day.
  • liapr
    Options
    Nice to hear from you Terri! Glad you had a nice xmas. So jealous of you going back! Hope you get lots of fun and sun. I had the coldest walk this week this morning. My whole body was aching with the wind and cold and snow. I keep wondering why I live here... lol

Mihani, mmm that hollandaise on asparagus sounds brilliant! How yummy. I was super boring and peckish but not hungry last night so I had roasted chickpeas and some raw veggies. I also had a couple chocolate indulgences yesterday. Not enough to put me over my calories but enough for me to kick myself... I am obv still haven't trouble cutting it totally!

Sabine, thanks for posting the cauli crust recipe!! I have always wondered about it. Good to know from someone that it is yummy. I use coconout water randomly, only in tropical smoothies really. I don't use it or not use it for any reason, only because it was in a smoothie recipe! Lol. So not much help..

Wow Karrie I am blown away that you can knit things like that!! Beautiful sweater too. And I'm the same, going crazy for comfort foods!! Luckily there are lots of healthy soups and stews at least. Stay warm today too!
  • whats_her_name
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have coconut water in my green smoothies (prefer it over the almond milk recipes), but I have never just had it to drink on its own, sorry! And mmm... steamed asparagus - I love it!!!

I do enjoy making things myself. I am always so amazed that you can take yarn (a long string) or fabric (long and flat and shapeless) and turn it into a gorgeous 3-dimensional garment. Truly blows my mind a little bit when I'm trying on the garment for the first time... Crafting also puts me in my happy place. I'm a happier me when I have time to make something.

I'm hosting a potluck dinner tonight for my card class. Trying to plan cooking/baking along with designing cards for class has been a huge challenge for me this week. I didn't manage to find enough time all week, so as usual, I'm rushing at the last minute. I'm going to do an OSG recipe (the black bean quinoa salad I've been enjoying), some vegan chocolate chip cookies, and my old standby: veggies with hummus. So at least all my food requirements will be met for a lovely 3-course meal. :smile:

I *always* wonder why I still live here - EVERY. SINGLE. WINTER. WTF?!?! I can never understand why the settlers didn't leave after the first winter. I get not wanting to give up everything you worked so hard for all year but REALLY!?!?!?! I woulda hit the road as soon as the first flower poked out of the ground that first spring!!!

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    WOW! 42 new posts to read this morning! I have gotten behind...Too many to address individually, but I hope the injured among you are feeling better, and Mihani, I think lia is on to something with the intervention ;-) I can understand waiting til things calm down, but your work never seems to calm down, lol!

Welcome to our new addition, and I hope Scott doesn't stay away too long, though I feel where he is coming from. Sometimes I think about it too, just staying away for a bit, doing my own thing and no logging...not that I have been logging beyond about breakfast lately. Eh. I am not allowing myself on a scale until the end of January. I can tell I am not gaining, but if I am staying the same I also don't want to tap into a certain mindset. I am doing a workout set I got just before Christmas, trying to just focus on emphasizing vegetables, water, and listening to hunger cues, making smart decisions. I fall off here and there with grabbing stuff before my thinking brain has a chance to realize what my primal brain is doing...but, instead of feeling guilty am trying to focus on staying on the rails the next time the decision happens, and kind of trying to preempt these situation.

One of the things I think that really helped me the first time I connected with ETL was listening to some guided imagery. It was aimed at people having anxiety issues with riding horses, and while it helped with that, it also made me so much calmer all the way around. I would really like to get back to that. Unfortunately, it is an hour long and with having this contractor running around my house all the time, I am not having success fitting that in. But I am going to keep looking for a way to do so.

Anyway, happy Friday, stay warm everyone!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Mornin' ETL'ers! I have to get to the office so just a quick hello and hope you all have a great weekend.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Utah I am with you. I have been avoiding the scale, my reasons may be a little different. I am scale addicted so I tried avoiding the scale but I think I need the scale to keep me in check. I tried the not logging and not stepping on the scale and I know I have gained some weight. So back to the grind. Maybe one of these days I will break my food addiction cycle.

Unfortunately, over the holiday's my parents ended up not being supportive. Ending up eating a SAD diet. Amazing how few vegetables they eat. So happy to be eating big salads again and veggie soup.

So, my plan is to start logging again. Very time consuming but it does keep me honest. Of course back to the gym. My work projects are winding down so my goal is to go 3-5 days a week.

DD decided to come back from her study abroad early. Ending up doing 1 semester in Germany and she will be back on Feb.2 . Can't wait to see her again. Have not seen her since last July.
    DS just left yesterday to go back to college. The house will be very quiet again.

Back to Floriday on Thursday. Can't wait to get out of the cold for a few days. This will be my last trip there until Mothers day. Plan on going again in May.

Everyone have a nice Sunday.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Wow, have I been feeling WELL these days. It's such a nice change of pace from fall where I was cranky and tired (menopause) all the time. Eating a more plant based diet again REALLY does agree with me these days.