January Chat

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,114 Member
    Options
    oh yes, joan and all -- real change is possible. we can do it!!!

I'm back after going it on my own for a few months, and ready for some help getting through winter. it is miserable out today, but I'm heading for a walk in the woods anyhow!

happy new year, all

liselyn in quebec
  • RLF022012
    RLF022012 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

Thanks for an awesome start to 2015, Wooken. I'll be smiling all day now.

Rose :)
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to all! Loved the intro, made me smile. Well - made it through the holidays maintaining, no gain - whooot whoot. Ready to knuckle down and get some more off. Ya'll have a wonderful new year.
  • keyauwee
    keyauwee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love winter ... but it is rather mild here in North Carolina. I live in the woods and thrilled that hunting season is over so I can roam without worrying about being mistaken for a deer or bear! Hope everyone has a fantastic week!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! I believe this is going to be the year in which I reach my goal weight AND maintain it once I reach that goal. I do believe real change is possible --- and for me it has gotten so much easier to eat healthy since I watch my carb intake carefully and avoid sugar at all costs. This has removed cravings completely and for me, a true sugar and carbohydrate addict, this is quite an accomplishment.

Kathy in Worcester, Massachusetts

73739389.png
  • Othermama7
    Options
    thanks. That's a fun poem!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I had a Dr. appointment today for follow up on labs. He was very positive about my numbers and my weight. We talked about how I'm losing it and MFP. He mentioned that many people have problems after they reach their goals. I told him that I knew this was a "life journey" and he seemed to really like that. My A1C has been at 5.5 for over 6 months and today was at 5.2 so I get to cut my Metformin back to 1 a day. woopeeee !!! Before I reach my goal weight, I'm hoping to be able to get off it totally plus a couple of other meds that I take. Not to mention, my back and joints should get much better, not carrying around all this extra weight. Life is good! Thanks for all the support.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mxchana
    Options
    Fabulous, Janet, great job bringing in those numbers!!
  • RLF022012
    Options
    Kathy, It sounds like you've got a good plan and a great attitude. You're off to a good start in 2015!

Janet, Congratulations on bringing your numbers down! Keep up the good work.

Rose
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great progress posted here - mentally and physically. I'm hoping I can catch up with you all on both counts.

At the moment I seem stuck. I'm really gung ho and have changed my food and exercise quite a bit.

For the past couple of years, I was taking a healthy carb/but much lower carb approach, keeping them 80-100 grams/day. This has made weight loss pretty easy. (Problem being I fall off the wagon in a big way at certain times of the year and regain.)

BUT I've been really unhappy with the decline in my mental abilities. Now I've noticed that by elevating my carb intake (all healthy) to the MFP recommendations, I'm functioning MUCH BETTER - a really noticeable difference. Funny it had never occurred to me that it might be connected to nutrition!

However, my weight loss has stalled. The only solution I can think of is to ramp up the exercise. I would be curious to hear what approach others are taking re carb intake.

Joan
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Joan, what an interesting observation about carbs. Makes sense, but I never thought about it.

I have never liked "white flour" stuff too much except for pasta occasionally and pizza crust. I have always eaten whole grain breads, etc. Even as a child when Wonder bread was king, we always had whole grain bread in my house. I do like potatoes, but I had my first baked potato in forever last night. I don't count sweet potatoes in that group as they are so healthy, I think of them more as a veggie than a potato and I still don't have them very often and never sweetened more than they naturally are. I try to get most of my carbs in veggies and a little fruit. So, I don't limit carbs, but find I pretty much stay within and/or around the MFP guidelines.

You got me looking on-line and although I don't find where carbs help mental abilities as much as fish oils, proteins, etc, because they do give us energy (and complex carbs give us the energy more evenly over a longer period of time than simple sugars) the energy helps with our alertness. Let's face it, we can't think if we aren't alert. animated-sleep-smiley-image-0029.gif

This is one of the things I love about MFP and about these forums. First, we seem to become much more aware of what our bodies are telling us and then we have the advantage of learning those things from our friends here. Thanks, Joan, for the insight!
  • mxchana
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks, Rose!

Joan, I try to keep carbs at each meal to no more than 30 (most comfortable in the 20 - 25 per meal range). My goal is to not exceed 90 total per day. I haven't noticed that it has caused any problems with my mental function ... I blame that on stress! :# But I do find it interesting that you noticed such an improvement by increasing your carbs.
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    Low-ish carb or High-ish carb and the brain.... as usual... there's controversy. I found this that came down on the side of Low Carb is OK. Since they're referencing "ketones". I presume they're talking about a very low carb diet. Very short in case you're interested.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2013/11/12/do-low-carbohydrate-diets-make-you-dumber/
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a type2 diabetic.
    I'm a carboholic.. I've always been...

I'm not making excuses. Overall I do well and my numbers are ok.
    Sure. They could be better... and I could weigh a lot less too.

But that is one of the struggles of being a diabetic.
    For me.. it's not just solving a "hunger" problem.
    It's...a craving. It's a constant battle against bad habits and a constant fight
    with the mysteries of my inner chemistry and a thing I call the Black Corner, which makes me run to food when I want comfort or reassurance. (and I don't find lettuce very reassuring) I'm a lot better at avoiding that now.
    :p

Sometimes I think it's like being an alcoholic. In fact.. I sometimes wonder if the two things (diabetes and alcoholism) aren't somehow weirdly related.. genetically and chemically.

Both of my biological parents were alcoholics. And..my older son is a recovering alcoholic.

Me? I like a nice glass of wine with dinner for a special occasion, but show me a hot crunchy loaf of sour dough bread and a hunk of butter and.. I'm done.

>:)

I've had my best success when I have internally "re-invented" myself.
    Instead of seeing me as a the carb craving sour-dough-bread-munching maven I know I am, I pretend to be somebody else who is already thin. That person picks at her food, eats salad for lunch, and wears skinny jeans.

o:)

• IceyKwl
    IceyKwl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am restarting the slow downwards slope once again. I will be 68 at the end of the month and I dont know where all the time has gone. I dont plan on starting seriously until monday January 12, as I had rotator cuff surgery in December and my first doctor appointment post op is this Friday and I am not allowed to take my arm out of the sling yet, or to move my shoulder at all, until he gives the go ahead. Also my son who has been taking care of me, doing all the things I am unable to, is going home this weekend, then I will be on my own without all the temptations around.a

I would like to lose 136 pounds..and I am going to start with a 4 week no sugar challenge..as I wont deny I am totally addicted to sweets. At the beginning of December I started cooking without salt...it is amazing...i hardly pick up the salt shaker any more, finding everything seems way too salty as it is,

-36C here tonight with windchill...too cold to even consider going outside, my balance is not that good since I had dual knee replacements about 8 years ago.

Glad to find a seniors group here, that can relate to health and wellbeing problems

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and to the weight slowly melting away.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard....... you will love it here and I am sure you will achieve your targets when you can get back to normal......breaking it down into small targets sounds like a great idea

Jean
  • RLF022012
    Options
    Hi IceyKwl! Welcome. :) This a great group -- very supportive and you'll find lots of inspiration to hang in here. -36C :o Wow! Keep warm and good luck with your doctor's appointment.

Rose
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    Hi IceyKw -- welcome. I think you came to the right place. I have balance problems too, so I can relate. -36 !!! Where the heck are you???

Joan in RI and (whenever possible ) VT
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cris: Alcohol is a sugar, so I think It makes sense that one is similar to the other. If I really overcarb (and I'm not a low-carb dieter), I feel hungover the next day. EXACTLY as if I were hungover -- headachy, nauseous, lethargic, dizzy. I have known a few recovering alcoholics and they all became huge sweets eaters instead.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Welcome IceyKw, you must be in the Rockies or up in Canada is my guess. We get those type temps in Colorado all to often. Glad you found us. Feel free to friend me if you like.