January Chat

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Finally, the day has come! My first Tai Chi class tonight! I will be so serene that my 4.5 pound weight gain this week will not even phase me!
    Taichi-Skeleton-66610.gif
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi IceyKw, it's 15 degrees here, going to 0 tomorrow will be in the - with the chill factor. Sweets are my downfall also. I made my trail mix for Christmas and forgot to pass it out to the family, have lots left over as a result. I love it and struggle to leave it alone. I'm going to dinner for my granddaughter's 10th B-day tonight. I'm giving the rest to my son-in-law and get my sanity back.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Crap.
    I had some hot tea with lunch. An hour or two later I was feeling really weird...Looked it up and it turns out that Constant Comment tea has more sugar in one cup (11 g) than 4 graham crackers. :s

Another "legal" item goes into the trash.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cris, where did you see that? MFP says 0 and so does the nutrition info on the Bigelow website. Could the sugar grams have been posted as "sweetened?" If something had 11 g of sugar, wouldn't it have to have about 45 calories? I don't have to watch "sugar" per se, but to me, sugar=calories. I like Constant Comment and would hate to give it up.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Welcome, IceyKwl - glad you have a plan in place and are here to share adventures in improved health with us. happy-051.gif

Just dipped below zero here in Worcester, MA ... -21 with wind chill. Still, the dogs have to go out one more time tonight ... but it will be quick!!
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In case you're interested, this short article ..."Where Does Fat Go When You Lose It?" -- although a better title would be "How Does Fat Leave Your Body". The answer was news to me!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/12/16/where-does-the-fat-go-when-you-lose-it-hint-the-fat-fairy-is-not-involved/
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Thanks so much, Joan! I was actually thinking about that two nights ago and meant to google the question. I thought the kidneys. Although, I must admit, the fat fairy was not even on my list of ideas.
    animated-fairy-image-0096.gif
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I thought the kidneys also. In fact I thought that was primarily why the rec was for 6-8 glasses of water a day.
  • CrisEBTrue
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok, I read the chart wrong when I added the tea...MFP does show "zero" sugar for the tea. My mistake. I was just... DRUNK from the sugar in the @#$(#$$$!!!! tea.

There is also nothing on the box of Constant Comment to indicate that there is "sugar" in it.
    But. The ingredients are: ' black tea, rind of oranges and sweet spice. '

Sounds innocuous enough..

But I did some digging, and, it turns out that many companies use other ingredients (including artificial sweeteners) to "sweeten" their teas.

These ingredients, in small amounts, are not enough to worry about if you don't have diabetes. But I let my guard down when I bought this box and...

Ok. Here's the link.

http://www.thesweetbeet.com/herbal-tea/

Mind you.. I am not the kind of person who freaks out over using artificial sweeteners; I use a modest amount of Splenda on oatmeal once a week. (I'm re-thinking that but that's another story.)

I'm not sure if, for me, the "natural" sweeteners (sweet herbs) are actually sweeter than plain old sugar or.. what. Whatever is in this stuff.. it's poison for me.

As a type2 diabetic, it turns out I have a very negative reaction to these "healthy" teas.
    My blood sugar skyrockets, I get a massive headache, I feel dizzy, disoriented, sleepy..The reaction I get from this tea is about the same as what happens if I eat something with a lot of high-fructose corn syrup ( pancake syrup, for example) or a cornstarch-thickened sweet and sour sauce at a Chinese restaurant. :s

If you aren't familiar with this feeling, I'd say being drunk is probably similar (I've never been drunk).

I can eat a candy bar, a cookie or a bowl of ice cream with chocolate topping and have less negative post-sugar reaction than I get from a cup of seemingly innocent tea.

I guess I will have to stick with plain hot water with lemon when I want something hot and decaffeinated. HOW DEPRESSING. *scream*

Ok. I'm sorry for the rant, I guess I should have done this over on the diabetes board but I don't lurk there much.

The point is:
    If you are watching your sugar for any reason, but especially if you are a diabetic, you have to be REALLY REALLY CAREFUL to watch out for "hidden" sweeteners. What if I were a brittle, insulin dependent diabetic? What would happen?? How many more foods like this are out there waiting to pounce on us? I thought I was careful.. and this one really caught me by surprise.

In other news, there is some ice on our pond this morning. It was 11 degrees last night.

brr. Time for a cup of...

HOT WATER..

dammit.

>:):p

• Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    @JoanLovell and @Crisbtrue

Thanks so much for posting the article links, they were great reads with my (not natural at all) morning coffee. I’ve learned so much from the Monthly Chat page.

I was able to reduce my intake of diet soda to just occasionally a few years back, but have not been able, or willing, to give up the morning coffee.ermm.gif

Regarding weather…Phoenix set a new record high of 81F yesterday — come on down!!

~w3coffee.gif
  • IndianaPapaw
    IndianaPapaw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Cris. I see a companion marketing opportunity to go along with the food safe. Sell a fancy two pound hammer "for emergency use" when you just can't take it any more. :D

Thanks for posting your concerns about the ingredients in the teas and elsewhere. Fortunately I don't have to deal with the diabetes but my Dr. scared me enough last May and that's what eventually let me to MFP. He told me if I didn't loose weight I'd have "full blown diabetes" by next May. There is a family history with diabetes so I knew that was a road I wanted to avoid if at all possible. In October my glucose and cholesterol had made significant drops as a result of weight loss, exercise and healthier eating. I'm down 41 pounds since last May (32 since starting with MFP) and would like to drop another 15 by my next Dr. visit in May.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Like I had said, i understand that hungover feeling from carbs. Although there are no carbs in artificial sweeteners, some theorize that once the tongue tastes "sweet" it releases insulin just as if it were eating sugar. If you are diabetic or insulin resistant, that will then play havoc with your blood sugar. So sugar or not, sweet is recognized as sweet.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    LOL @ the emergency hammer!!! Good one!!!

Congratulations, Papaw, on your weight loss!

Everyone here is an inspiration. I'm feeling a lot better about myself and I am going to fight to win the battle for real this time. <3 Thanks for *weighing in* B)

"some theorize that once the tongue tastes "sweet" it releases insulin just as if it were eating sugar."

I've read that, too. This..this is just different. If that were happening with me, I'd keel over from eating an M&M, right? This is definitely my body's chemical reaction to something in that blasted tea. Ugh.

I've cut back on diet soda, (not hard during the cold winter months) but I will not be giving up coffee any time soon. o:)

• Myrtbbk
    Myrtbbk Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello, just checking in. It's day 3 for me, here and things are going fairly well. Not too many cravings, but it's the weekend and that's my danger time. I keep reminding myself of why I'm here. Because of health issues. The end of last Oct. I had to have emergency surgery for peritonitis and ended up with an ostomy. I MUST lose at least 30 lbs in order to have it reversed. The surgeon is afraid that with my excess abdominal fat, the surgery could fail and I would need a permanent ostomy. No way! Once that's done, I need to lose the other 90 lbs., so I'll be sticking around here for quite a while.

My hubby has some health issues, so I make a lot of foods from scratch. Is there any way to find out or estimate the calories in the things I make? I make a couple of types of sausage, using extra lean meats. I have the feeling I'll just have to figure it out for myself. I also make a lot of chicken soup and chill it so I can get rid of the fat, so don't know how I can figure the calories in that, either. With the weather here, in the Chicago area, hot soup is a necessity, especially with it so cold this week.

This looks like a nice board, with people in my age range and with many of the same problems. I look forward to chatting with you.

Jan
  • IndianaPapaw
    IndianaPapaw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Myrtbbk. My wife cooks a lot of items from scratch as well. I do a lot of comparing items in the database. Look for "homemade" as folks have entered a lot of different items and compare them to pre-made foods. Homemade usually are fewer calories and less sodium than store bought. Sometimes I just make a judgement call then overestimate eaten calories and underestimate exercise calories and figure it will "all come out in the wash". I try not to get too hung up on precise calories on any given day. I figure I'm in this for the long haul and as long as I can keep exercising and stay under my calorie goal, the pounds will come off. After four months it's still working. Darrell
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hi Myrbbk,

MFP has a nifty built-in recipe tool…

In the light blue header click on: Food

In the dark blue header click on: Recipes

Either cope and paste the URL and then click the Import Recipe button

OR

Click on the “Add Recipe Manually” link located right below the URL import recipe box

I have used the Import Recipe a lot as Hubby gets most recipes off the internet.

However, It is really easy to edit quality/replace/remove each ingredient in either import or manual database.

Give it a try, I have been surprised by how one low fat/calorie replace can really drop the per serving numbers.

~w3
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,114 Member
    Options
    Hi all -

Why do I always get back into MFP just as work is ramping up again? It has been a tough but good week, with the wonderful gym just a few staircases away, but the terrible schedule and workload making it hard to get there. In any case, it has been a good week, and logging has made me more accountable. It is cold, snowy, icy and difficult, but the gym is warm and the showers are awesome.

I still insist on living in yoga pants! No one can stop me!!!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Joan, I'm not great at tracking carbs, sugars, fat, etc.; it's very confusing for me. I've found that keeping under my calories and exercising for 30-45 minutes 3 days out of 5 works best for me. Good luck to you.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Chrisbetrue, I'm another craver of carbs and fat, too, unfortunately. However, I do force myself to go down to the basement (walk-out, so I can see outside) and treadmill for 30-45 minutes several times a week. When I go down to do laundry, I spend 10 minutes with a weighted hula hoop every time I switch out the loads--not too much stress and lots of fun. I'm sick of the cold weather--I haven't been outside in 3 days because of the frigid temps here, but we have sunshine today and that helps.