January Chat

Options

Replies

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Good for you, gramanana! It sounds like you're on the right track!
    My elliptical machine and stationary bike are downstairs. My old ipad is right there on my elliptical, and I have a TiVO app on it.. so I can watch tv programs while I'm pounding away.

I want to get back to doing 35-40 minutes a day; so far I'm only up to 25. Sometimes I work 10 minutes on the elliptical, and 15 on the bike.. the bike is a lot easier.

Also. it looks like I lost 2 lbs since I restarted a couple of weeks ago. But I'm not logging it because I'm superstitious...LOL

Go, us!

B)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I had worked up from 100 reps on my cardio-glider to 300 reps. Yesterday I went to 400 and today did about 550. I started out trying to make it to 10 minutes and today went for 25, so I know I can do it. So many women on here do so much exercising that it is inspiring. I just have to give myself a swift kick in the butt, sometimes.

Here's hoping we are all losers! (for those of us that want to be.)

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Gramanana, I was just thinking of you the other day and your hula hoop. I still haven't done it yet, but think about it. Glad to see you are still doing it!
    animated-woman-image-0025.gif
  • Myrtbbk
    Myrtbbk Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Darrell and w3, thanks for the tips on finding recipes. I know I can do this, I've done it before. I just need to get to the store for more veggies, once the weather breaks a bit. Right now, I can't get out easily because of the cold, snow and ice. It's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow and Monday, so I'm making a shopping list and planning meals and snacks. I really like cold, crisp-tender veggies, so want to keep a supply of those on hand.

Any other tips, hints or suggestions are welcome!

Myrt
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The Wednesday weigh-in really keeps me motivated to keep going, and of course meal planning first, then writing down every little thing I eat afterwards, is really what is making this work for me.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Good morning!

Sunday is my weigh-in day. I've lost 3 pounds. That feels good.
    The Actual Number is so ghastly that I have no reason to feel "good" about it, since I should not have gotten that high in the first place. :\ *sob, moan, kvetch* It was my own fault of course.

In a further attempt to Get Real... I dug out the old spreadsheets I used to track my weight.
    Ahem.

It's ugly. It would be easy to sit here and say "if only I had not gained back that 25 lbs I lost 10 years ago" but that ship has sailed and it's another day.

So. I'm off to exercise.

Live long and prosper... o:) Have a great week!

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Great progress Crisbtrue.

Glad to see you posting more Gramanana. Good to hear you have worked out something that fits your lifestyle for working out as well.

I have managed somehow to stay the same since before Christmas. I'll take that for now. I had my intro to the Silver Sneakers program and the weight room training session is on Tuesday. After I get to attending the SS progam classes I hope to see more downward movement. I have found that eating less does just so much, I have to exercise or I stop losing.

Charlie liked the idea about the spreadsheet for restaurants. I have tons of info like that and I add meals I enjoy eating out to my meals as well.

Have a great day everyone.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Thanks Crisbtrue and Grandmothercharlie and retirehappy for your support and encouragement. I was missing from the community for awhile, but now I'm back and glad you are all still here. I didn't exercise today and the calories prove it. In order for me to be under in calories I need to burn between 150-200 calories in exercise and I gave myself off today. Exercise is proving to be a very important part of my program. We can do this together!
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    And the older I get...the more this seems to describe me! :D

1013615_905712979479284_5566941034917170380_n.jpg?oh=d23ab5e3a8e03d7e21fd2c5b78aa83c9&oe=552B99CB&__gda__=1430101941_3560cef56ee88a75d33a51ff9dbbc2e4
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Love it, brought a big smile to my face.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    That's a good one!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Very funny, but very true.
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't like or want to share my food diary. Somehow it creates a form of pressure and lack of privacy that I am apt to rebel against. Knowing folks can see it, makes me not want to log. Can I turn off the visibility of it?

That said... I was checking out Barre workouts today on MFP, since my gym is offering them, and found this info: "Recently, our data scientists crunched some numbers and unlocked an astounding fact: MyFitnessPal users who share their food diary with friends lose twice as much weight as other users."

Maybe I should reconsider.
  • IceyKwl
    IceyKwl Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    good morning everyone..I am glad others are posting, it is encouraging to read how everyone is doing..

I started yesterday, again... but because of meds from recent surgery, I am sleeping alot and that causes me to miss meals..I need the sleep more than i realized. Also I am not allowed to exercise for another few weeks, doctors orders..then physio, I will ask when i start physio how to get started.

It has been nasty cold here but today is the start of a warming trend which i am glad to hear as winter is way too long in the cold north..lol
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    JoanLovell wrote: »
    I don't like or want to share my food diary. Somehow it creates a form of pressure and lack of privacy that I am apt to rebel against. Knowing folks can see it, makes me not want to log. Can I turn off the visibility of it?

That said... I was checking out Barre workouts today on MFP, since my gym is offering them, and found this info: "Recently, our data scientists crunched some numbers and unlocked an astounding fact: MyFitnessPal users who share their food diary with friends lose twice as much weight as other users."

You can change your diary settings under "settings" at the top of the page. You can select private, public, friends, etc... I keep it open for my friends only, I have received a lot of good support that way. You can try it and it you don't like it, turn it back off.

• retirehappy
    Options
    JoanLovell wrote: »

You can change your diary settings under "settings" at the top of the page. You can select private, public, friends, etc... I keep it open for my friends only, I have received a lot of good support that way. You can try it and it you don't like it, turn it back off.

I share with friends only. Works best for me. I will not eat some tempations simply because I don't want to log it, but that is just me.

One of the things I did when I started out on MFP was check the success stories people's diets. I got some good ideas on what to do and some good ones on what not to do as well.

If you are not comfortable sharing it with anyone, then just set to private. Even if you can't exercise, are missing meals, just get in the habit of logging. It does make a difference. I stopped logging for months and put back on some hard lost poundage. That is why I am back and I log the good, the bad and the ugly. Just do it til it is like brushing your teeth, just something you do every day.
  • DamitJanit
    Options
    Greetings all. It's nice to see more posts.

I have been stuck at 201 to 202 pounds since Jan 1st. Today I stepped on the scale and it read 199.5. I am so excited to finally be under 200! I went shopping for some new pants and didn't have to shop in the Women's department. That was equally exciting. I just hope the weight loss will continue now that it has finally started again. My cruise on Feb. 7th is fast approaching.

I'm concerned about not being able to log my intake on the cruise. I will keep a written record but thats not the same. I know, for me, I will continue it for years to come, once I get on maintenance. Without it I'm afraid I'd slip in to some old bad ways.

I wish you all health and happiness.
    Janet
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Great milestone for you. Congrats!

Logging on paper can help on the cruise, it is better than not staying aware. Voice of experience saying that :s . Just log as best you can. You can even enter it in MFP after you get back.

Is this the Cuba trip you mentioned earlier, I am so jealous if it is B)
  • DamitJanit
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not Cuba, just some of the Bahamas. But 7 days on the ship is the best part to me. Come on, you can go with us. :)

I can understand someone not wanting to show their food diary, but why do so many people not even have their profile visible? Sometimes I look just to see where someone is from and nothing shows?? Just curious.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group today and am impressed by all the discussion- It's like having a cup of coffee with friends after dinner LOL. I am 66 and have 30#s to lose- we won't discuss how many times I've lost and gained. I have been a member of mfp for the last year and find it very helpful when I use it. Unfortunately I get it in my head I don't need mfp and the weight sneaks back on. My profile and diary are open to friends. I hope to make mfp a part of my life I don't want to do without and I'm hoping this group helps me to do that I am looking forward to starting with the weigh in tomorrow. I like exercising but am on hold with that due to recent surgery-but should be able to get back to it next week- I'm finding it REALLY difficult to stick to 1200 calories- but I HAVE to start losing weight. Take care all and I hope the scale is friendly to all of us tomorrow!