Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    It' so sad she is gone. :(

Hi everyone, having a hard time getting back into posting here. The weather has been hot and humid as usual. We transplanted our friends crape myrtle tree into our yard last evening to the front but left side of the house. When the new fence goes in it will be in front of the side fence area that has no gate to it. It should get plenty of sun daily but it is on the NE side because that's how the front of the house sits. By reading up on them I guess they can handle a lot of cold and we don't freeze here often so it should be okay.

Been having some fun getting back into the farm game. I wasn't on it long before the hurricane and internet being a slow to come back service.

Arobed-Hubby's work is good. Their systems were down for about a week and he took vacation for the week anyway. There is still some cleanup to do but most of it is completed. It doesn't help that our front yard isn't big enough to handle too many fence sections.

Sannferris-I hope John enjoys the puzzles and the new highlight magazine.

Have a great night everyone.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited September 2017
    Good Morning. Ha, since I mentioned that I had not received the puzzles yet...they arrived in yesterday's mail. I'll still save them for cold, wet winter days, but the boxes look good. 63 piece barn scene and one with kid's raking leaves, lots of pile of leaves, that one will be fun to put together. A big one of the United States, states labeled, that will help me relearn geography too. There's a 24 piece puzzle of 1937 cars that I think will really interest John. I got a value pack of 24 pieces each of the seasons, summer, (a glass of lemonade with a burger and slice of watermelon), autumn, (basket of fall flowers and basket of apples and a pumpkin), winter (gifts and poinsettia) and spring (bouquet of tulips and basket of colored eggs). Plus, I forgot to tell you that we also get a 2018 wall calendar with the Highlights subscription, so there will be more new stuff to find in pictures each month for the next year. I think we're set.

Debora, I share my comments with Nancy and I received this email last night, in reference to Paige:

Was it the same kid who swallowed a nickel a few months ago? If so good for him/her. He/she is moving up to some serious cash. Keep the gold bars locked up.

I'm still laughing, picturing a kid with a big ol' gold bar.

One of our neighbors is getting a new roof put on. Every few minutes from John I hear, "what's that noise?" I say Brett and Gayle are getting a new roof. "Oh yea", as soon as the hammering starts again "What's that noise?" Yesterday, they were stripping the old roof off, really loud bangs as the scrap hit the dumpster, "What's that noise?"

Anew, continued prayer as you continue to clean up. We had a tornado come through near the Salem area. Long way away from us but very close to Brent and Beth. I emailed them and they were shocked, had no idea that the NW has tornados. We are not like the Midwest, but every so often one or two come through. Usually, it's a water funnel at the coast and doesn't make it this far inland. Anyway, not anything like what you went through with Harvey.

Today will be a day at home, catching up on stuff. I have phone calls to make and more appointments to set up. And, a whole bunch of emails that need to be answered.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Hi Ladies! Just checking in on you all! I hope everyone is good, it's really hot here and isn't fall like at all :( It was 93 today and going to be like that all weekend. I love the cooler crisp weather! DJ is at a harvest party and they are planning on a big bonfire but I don't think many kids will want to be around the fire with the heat the way it is. Austin is working all weekend so I have peace and quiet for now! :)

Sheryl--you are always so busy! I found Suzanne's email odd. Maybe I just don't know enough of Marcie's back story to think she had a 'not happy life'. I might be over thinking it...
    Congrats to Norma on her engagement. I didn't know she was dating anyone now! That's wonderful news. I was very happy to hear that your medicine is working so well! Glad John went with you, that makes you worry less I know!

Debora--you are busy as usual and have so many interesting stories with your kids/grandkids! Glad to know the 4 H club is thriving as always. Poor Paige--DJ ate a dime when he was 2 and we had to get xrays and watch for problems. He was/is a talker so he had put the dime in his mouth and went to tell me something and swallowed the dime :neutral: Glad the hamburger helped!

Anew--glad you got the crepe myrtle transplanted. I hope it takes well and blooms for you all. So glad that things are slowly getting back to a new normal.

I will try to check in again soon! Have a great weekend :)

• sannferris
    Good Morning. Jannie, nice to see you here. Especially nice that you have some quiet time for yourself, however, I know that you thrive on your boys' activities. Great that you still have them home right now. I know that Blazin is going through the empty nest syndrome.
    Thanks for the congrats, I'll pass that along to Norma. You're right, we kept this guy under the radar. After talking about Simeon so much and nothing came of it, Norma didn't broadcast the news about John until it became serious. She met him through eHarmony also, but this one is a gem. She had to go through a whole bunch of dud leads to find him. I could hardly believe how so many scam guys got on that site. Actually, many got kicked off while Norma was corresponding, asking for money. As soon as that happened, she ceased communications.

Having grown up with cats in the household, I fully know about the way they take over your life. I could completely feel Marcie's comments about contorting in bed to accommodate Cisco and Simon, heaven forbid that we disturb our critters. Well, John is learning that...Kitty is in bed with him right now and John doesn't want to move or push her around. So funny, she comes in early with me from feeding the birds, gets her own breakfast and then goes in our bedroom and makes herself comfy around John's legs.

I lost track of time regarding Isabella's trip. I hope she's having a great time and I think that I remember that she may be returning this weekend. It will be great to hear all about it. I hope she reconnected with loads of family members.

After many weeks with no rat activity, HE'S BAAAACK. I just don't know what's so attractive to bring him into the barn, I've got all the food source secured in plastic bins. He may be getting into the old cars and chewing up the upholstery and/or wiring, but I can't put surveillance cameras on each vehicle, inside or out. I really need to get John to let me get rid of this old clunkers.

My plan today is catching up on emails. Yes, I said that yesterday, but there was no way to do it all at once. I can't believe that I let it build up so much, I have over a hundred emails in my inbox to look through. Most of them are articles regarding cancer or dementia or nutrition, newsletters that I signed up for, but can't read them all. About 15-20 are cousins and friends that I had planned to answer more extensively. Like my cousins in Grants Pass that wanted to come visit, but we couldn't find a time best suited for all of us.
    And, Carla, dealing with her recent breast cancer diagnosis, we have even more in common now.

Anyway, time to refill my mug...

(Ha, I can always find any excuse to sit with my cup of coffee)
  • sannferris
    Oh yea, Jannie, Suzanne's comment about Marcie's unhappy life threw me for a loop too. The only thing that came to my mind was how much Marcie missed her Mom. Marcie was always so upbeat for us, but, we never know what goes on in all our private lives.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    The 4-H stuff has been turned int. It had a couple of twists in it but I turned them in on Friday and now it’s out of my hands and I can move on to the next thing. I was able to go to Bible study Thursday night – didn’t miss as all but me brought snacks and we celebrated my birthday. Fun plus a good study. Friday morning I went to town by myself cause Ralph was driving semi for corn harvest – it was a long day but they got done. Yay. Now there’ll be a break until the soybeans are ready. I was home just three hours in the afternoon so worked on my Saturday list and putting away what I had bought. And then my sister and I headed to Sunrise. Junior High football game at 5 and high school at 7 so got to watch both boys play and they both did well. They are on the field a lot of the game. It would be fine with me if they didn’t play football but they do. Junior high lost and high school broke the tie with a touchdown in the last minute. Not sure if we would have stayed for overtime cause it was 11 before we got home as it was. Paige also did a deal at halftime with the junior cheerleaders.
    Today was getting the house finally straightened from last Sunday – Ralph still has book stuff to get out of the living room. The basement took a strong 30 minutes so hope they don’t get as much out tomorrow. I tell them I’ll clean up but some weeks are easier than others. Tomorrow is Jeremiah’s real birthday (turning 13) so fixing things I know he likes (angel hair pasta with herbs, ham, crockpot corn, watermelon and pudding pie).
    Ralph and I went to Old People’s Day today in Potwin – it’s for those 65 and older (I can go cause Ralph is older but I have to pay) who have lived in or around Potwin. They’ve been doing it for 107 years. There was a decent turnout. They serve the same meal every year. Theme this year was a day in Paris. They kept the program short so there was more time to visit.
    Tomorrow is church and the evening is the Sunday School picnic. I forgot about it so didn’t buy anything specifically but have thought of something to take. It’s fun to eat and visit. And it’s supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow (just in the 70s) so that will be nice. Have quite a bit of going this week but also hope to get back to things I put on hold while doing 4-H stuff.

Sheryl, so glad you got a good report from the doctor and can continue as you have been. Hope it will continue to work well. Thanks for sharing what you heard from Susanne and her dad. I always thought Marcie ate very well and has lost weight since she got diabetes. But I never saw her either. She seemed well-liked at work but not a lot of social life outside the office but she sure was fun here. Still hard to believe at times. So nice of her dad to reply back. What a shock for him. Glad he has good support from the neighbors.
    The puzzles sound fun. I’d enjoy them. I suppose it will take a couple of months for the magazine to start coming. Again you’re doing better than me at getting your appointments set up. Maybe this week. I said I would help babysit every other week for the Tuesday morning Bible study so will have to find out when I start so I use the right mornings or do a different day.

Anew, how nice that you could plant some of your friend’s crepe myrtle in your yard. With your green thumb it should do well. Thankful your hubby Is able to work. With all you’ve been through and done, it could take some time to enjoy the things you did before. And if the internet is spotty at all, that wouldn’t help either.

Janie, good to catch up with you a bit. What kind of work does Austin do? It’s been awhile since you told us so I’ve forgotten. A harvest party is always fun. How are you doing pain wise? Your hip doing okay.?

Sheryl, I didn’t realize Norma was using eharmony. That’s how Alan and Katie got together but he was the first and only one she connected with. Glad she’s found the one so she doesn’t have to mess with it now. That’s so cute that John doesn’t want to disturb Miss Kitty. She worked her way into your hearts. I think Isabella gets home this weekend too. It will be fun to hear about her trip. Only a hundred emails. That’s not bad. I’d trying to stay more current with my new address but have lots to go through with the one I’m changing from (slowly).

Thomas came out for a Youth Group party so guess he’s going to spend the night here. Won’t drive any less by waiting till tomorrow but will drive in daylight.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. I slept in until 7 am and by the time I fed the birds and came back in, John was up already too. So, this will be short. It's chilly again, so we started a fire in the woodstove. I love watching that fire, changing to the new stove with the glass door was one of our better decisions, so enjoyable. We may have bypassed Fall and jumped right into Winter. They are talking about snow at Timberline already and that makes the ski resorts very happy.

Yesterday, I helped John outside and got bit by something. Probably a spider because I remember as a kid, I'd have reactions to spiders. I had a big red spot that grew into a bump on my arm. I put essential oils on it last night and the bump is gone and the redness is gone, but, wow, does it itch. I have to check my oils to find something good for itching.

I guess that's it for right now. I hope to be back later, once John is either outside or watching football.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hi all, so shocking to hear about Marcie! I saw Sheryl post about it on face book as I was looking for family pics from the reunion. I can't believe she's gone. She will definitely be missed. It's amazing how much someone you've never met can become part of your life. I too was surprised by Suzanne's comment that she did not have a happy life. I thought about how much she missed her mom. Sheryl, you'll have to let us know if/when you hear anything from Jim about cause of death. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him when he found her. :'(

Sheryl, I have read that lavender oil is good for itching as is lemon oil. You can also make a blend of lavender, lemon and peppermint oil for itching. Lastly I read that geranium oil is good for bug bites.
    So happy to hear that the CT scan shows that the tumors continue to shrink. What a blessing! I was surprised and sorry to hear you mention that Carla got a breast cancer diagnosis. You probably have some good info to share with her and can be a good shoulder to lean on. Those pics of Kitty sure were cute. Marcie would have loved them. I think the Highlights idea is brilliant! Everyone always loved them and has great memories of them. I would definitely still enjoy them. You just may have given them an idea to start another age group magazine.
    So excited to hear about Norma and John's engagement! The ring is pretty and the dress is stunning. She will look amazing!

Debora, nice that Ralph found more of the chicks that he wanted and on sale too! Good that he got his physical over with. How was his family history meeting? What did you buy when you were out with your sisters? I can't believe that you guys are harvesting again. Seems like just yesterday you were talking about the harvest and Ralph driving the trucks in to town. My how time flies!

Anew, so good to hear from you and that the damage was relatively minor for you and hubby. Nice of you to help your friend and good that you were able to transplant the crepe myrtle into your yard. Hope it thrives. Do you have to replace drywall in the laundry room? Did you get the shed and other items back where they belong?

Jannie, so nice to have you pop back in. Thanks for bringing us the news about Marcie. Your boys sound like they are doing great. How have you been doing?

Now about my trip. I arrived in NJ very early Wednesday morning. The limo driver was waiting for me at the baggage claim and all went well. My brother Joe did a pretty good job cleaning up for me. At least in the living room and bathroom. We didn't spend any time in the kitchen. We had a great time together every day. Some of the highlignts were: we went to a pinball museum a couple of days. For the admission fee you could play as many pinball games, skeeball, air hockey, pacman, foosball, etc. games as you wanted. We were like kids again and had a great time. We walked along the Long Branch and Asbury Park boardwalk. Had pizza and subs. He had won a gift certificate to a very nice Italian restaurant so we went to dinner there one night. It was fabulous! We went to lunch and to Costco with an old friend named Helen. Then the reunion was Saturday. It was amazing. I would say there were approx 50 people there. Just about everyone I was hoping to see came. The last remaining sister (88 yrs old) beside my brother and I was there and she shared stories with us about growing up in the house with all the other siblings and stories about our dad. They all called him Pop. I didn't get a chance to talk much to one of the nieces I really wanted to spend time with but that's how it goes with so many people there. The food which was Italian of course was wonderful too. After the reunion was over my nephew Steve who sponsored the reunion invited Joe and I to the large condo they were staying in to hang out with his family and all his siblings. We had a really nice time there as well. The next day Sunday, I went to church with Joe, we went out to lunch, played miniature golf and got home just in time for the limo to pick me up and take me to the airport. I got back late Sunday night the 17th. SO worth it!

Well, I'm making a new recipe this evening for dinner. Chicken cacciatore. My niece Judy Lynn gave me the recipe. She used to make it for my brother Tony on his birthday and he said it was just like his mom made. I'll let you know how it turns out.

God's blessings to you all for a great week!
  • sannferris
    edited September 2017
    Good Morning. Belated welcome home, Isabella. I'm so glad you were able to go and see family. Sounds like a great time. How many siblings do you have? I met Joe, but sounds like you had much older brothers and sisters as well. Regarding your niece that you wanted to talk more with and didn't have the chance, can you email or phone her now that you've made the connection?
    Thank you for the info on Birch Oil for gout, but Mom is stubborn and says she can't do anything like that, can't open bottles, can't rub her hands, she is just going to waste away, doing absolutely nothing for herself. It's so sad. One of my PTs recommended Cherry Juice for gout also, but same thing, can't open the bottle, can't pour it into a glass, etc. The PT said they have really good 100% juice at Trader Joe's, I got some for myself. I have arthritis in my hands and from Mom's description of what she feels in her hands, I thought maybe I have some gout too? Don't know for sure, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have some cherry juice every day anyway.

It's been a busy week, but very fulfilling and good. Monday, I had lunch with Carol, what a treat. I sure enjoy visiting with her and of course, also eating out, you know me, everything revolves around food. Since it was great weather, John kept busy outside and didn't even miss me. Although, he did say there were things he wanted to show me...but can't remember what.
    Tuesday, I got to Bible study, been several weeks since I had gone and thoroughly enjoyed getting back to it. When I got home, same thing, John said there was something I needed to look at, but what? can't remember. Oh well.

Wednesday, we got a load of hay, nice quick outing to get John out of the house. I can certainly do that job on my own, but I tell him he needs to go, just because. And, with the truck out of the barn, John likes to sweep out all the debris that accumulates under the truck, that keeps him busy for a little bit. Then, all afternoon, I told him he needed a haircut, beard trim and a shower for Thursday. Finally, we got that done, he makes it so difficult and acts like it's so hard to sit still in a chair and such a chore to clean up. Sounds just like Mom. He looks and smells so good right now.

Thursday, I had an appointment with my oncology surgeon, 6 month check-up after surgery. The scans and tests all look very good, I've "graduated" to "Stage 2, benign". I had massaged out that thickness of scar tissue that was in an incision on my left breast, but discovered a lump near an incision on my right breast. I assumed it was also scar tissue, since I had not had any cancer on my right side before. Doctor said it's a fatty mass and can be massaged out, I just need to be more forceful and massage harder. I use oils for that too.
    The more I take John out and away from his comfort zone, the more I can recognize how he's deteriorating. He reads everything and either takes it literally, or doesn't understand and asks lots and lots of questions. On the receptionist desk at the oncology office, there's a sign that reads "if you have waited more than 15 minutes, please let us know immediately". Well, this particular doctor is notoriously late for every appointment, but that's because she spends whatever time is necessary with each patient. I like her very much and don't mind waiting, I plan on waiting, but John reads that sign and asks "has it been 15 minutes yet?", "hasn't it been 15 minutes already?", "shouldn't you tell them it's been 15 minutes?". I just tell him that I'm not going to say anything, I am happy to wait, they see us sitting there, right in front of them!
    After my appointment, we went for an adventure. Stopped for breakfast and had another revelation with John and ordering food. He just can't do it anymore, but that's not going to stop me from taking him out as much as I can. We then drove to a new Nature Park that just opened in Gresham, Oregon.

https://greshamoregon.gov/Hogan-Butte-Nature-Park/

It was a very nice afternoon, walking and looking at scenery and answering lots and lots of John's questions. He is so inquisitive, but wants details that I can't give him. This place is so new, that the ground cover and shrubbery along the path has not grown yet, brand new seedlings, so John could see the tubing for the drip system they put in for the plants. hundreds and hundreds of feet of tubing..."how much water does it take to get through all the tubing?", "how much PSI to push all that water through the tubing?" I DON'T KNOW!!!!

At the Volcano Viewpoint, you can "see" the major mountains of the area. If you stand in front of a plaque that faces the mountain, it gives you all the statistics of that mountain. Well, Mt Hood and Mount St Helen's and Mt. Adams, closest ones, are very visible. But, Mt Rainier and Mt Jefferson were not and it was hard to convince John that they are there, we just can't see them, either too hazy or they were just too far away. The plaque did state that we were 100 miles away from Mt. Rainier. We walked the 1/2 mile loop and had another nice drive along the river on our way home. It was a nice day, but I was exhausted.

We're staying home today, the weather is forecast to turn and rain is in the forecast. The last 3 days were like summer again, in the 80's.

No rat activity, just that one morning several days ago and now they're gone again.

Kitty is still hanging around, but she is not a lap cat. She wants to be close to us, but prefers to lay at our feet. When we put her in our laps, she very quickly jumps down. It's still all good, she's nice to have around. John keeps tabs on her constantly.

Well, John is up now, so I better close this out. And, my mug needs a warm-up.

• sannferris
    Good Morning. Yesterday wasn't so bad, being drizzly outside and having John in the house for almost all day. He kept busy with the cat, where's the cat, the cat is sleeping on the bed, finding the cat, telling me all about the positions of the cat. Looks uncomfortable, but evidently is very comfortable. Why does the cat lay like that? That's just what cats do.

Isabella, I also meant to mention about the oil for my spider bite. Interesting, I looked up bug bites, spider bites and itches and discovered one book recommended Basil and another said Holy Basil. I looked up those 2 and found they are different, I had assumed they were referring to the same oil. Anyway, I have Basil and used it and it worked very well. I use lavender all the time for so many things, that I have lots of that oil on hand.

Debora, I also meant to mention long time ago regarding Norma's using eHarmony, that she originally started with Christian Mingle, wanting to find a Godly man with the same beliefs and convictions. They were not to be found there. The profiles that she read were mostly "Christians" in name only, they did not regularly attend church and were not active in spiritual activities. So, she went to eHarmony and found a better selection. But, also, found a lot of duds to sift through. It was so worth it though with the gem that she has found. He is terrific and she is so happy and full of joy. God has blessed them both. Her John is also so happy to have found Norma and asked her "where were you forty years ago?" She answered, I was a happily married woman and would not have given you a second thought. God has perfect timing and a purpose.

Please continue your prayers for Christina, I got a message from her yesterday that she had a splitting headache and CS fluid was coming out of her nose. I'm not sure but I assume CS might be cranial spinal fluid? whatever it is, it's definitely not good. I don't know how she endures all that she goes through. She is also now caring for her 14 year old niece, became her legal guardian because this poor girl has no one else. Her parents are drug addicts. Taking on more responsibility and dealing with all her health issues, but she just couldn't leave this girl in such a bad situation.

John is up now, came out to find the cat and went back in the bedroom to get dressed. If it rains today, at least there is college football on tv. I hope that keeps John occupied and I can answer more emails.
  • isyvanek
    edited September 2017
    Hi ladies, I had a couple of out with the girls invites today but am getting over a minor cold/sinus infection plus since I worked 9 hours last Saturday I haven't really had a day home since I returned from NJ so I declined. I just want to rest and nest and hang out with Dan. I slept in till 7:15am then had cereal and got caught up on facebook. My Nephew still hasn't posted the group photo they took. I took one also but of course it doesn't have me in it so I'm hoping he is going to post the one his sister in law took soon. Other than that, Dan and I will do our usual shopping later then have dinner and watch a movie. I just got Trader Joe's fearless flyer with all things pumpkin in it so I can't wait to try some new stuff this week. I plan to buy something for dinner tonight also.

Here is my pic of the "Richichi Clan" group photo. Of course I am not in it since I took the picture.
    q1f54rh5fzs3.jpg

Sheryl, I am the baby of 10 children, 6 girls 4 boys. My father married a woman named Carmela when he came from Italy to NJ. She had a son Frankie and died in childbirth along with the 2nd child. He then went to Italy and married my aunt Isabella and brought her to the US and she had 7 children. During their marriage they tried to bring my mom Maria to America but could not get a visa for her. My aunt Isabella was killed in a car accident in which my brother Tony was driving. My dad went to Italy and married my mom Maria and brought her to the US. She had my last brother Joe and I. We are much younger than our other siblings. My dad passed away at 63 when I was 3 yrs old and Joe was 7. My brother Joe still lives in the same house we all grew up in.

Sad that your mom is not willing or able to try some of these things that might help her. I have a friend whose son drinks cherry juice from Trader Joe's for gout. He says it helps. Glad the basil worked for your bug bite. Is the bite gone now? Sounds like you had a wonderful week. That Gresham park sounds lovely. Congrats on being stage 2. God is SO good. So sweet about Norma and John. I have a co-worker who got married a couple of months ago (she is 60). She met her new husband thru e-harmony a little over a year ago. She joined free for the weekend just to see what it would be like. He was the first and only profile she responded to and they are now living happily ever after.

Poor Christina! I don't know how she does it. Can only be through the grace of God. I can't imagine her having to take on the responsibility of her niece but am hoping that it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and that her niece will be able to help her. I will continue to pray for them all.

Christina Archer from NM needs prayer also. I don't remember if you saw her post on the FB NM site but her grandma just died then Christina had to go to the emergency room because her liver was bleeding. She also needs our prayers.

Debora, I'm sure your week is hectic and crazy as usual. Look forward to reading your post when you are able.

I keep looking for Marcie's post. I still can't believe she's gone. :'(

Well, have a blessed day ladies. I'm going to go sit outside with hubby (although I should be cleaning!). :)
  • arobed53
    As usual, another week has sped by. Sunday was Jeremiah’s actual birthday was on Sunday so fixed things he liked. Dessert was pudding pie and he always reminds me of the time I used banana pudding rather than vanilla. This time I only used chocolate pudding and we finished both pies. But I had enough rolls, ham, and watermelon (sister showed up with some too) to have enough food to take to the Sunday School picnic that evening. Weather was perfect for it and there was a nice turnout. Lots of good visiting and good eating.
    Monday afternoon we went to Lucy’s volleyball game. Probably should have stayed home cause it rained so hard. I was glad Ralph was driving. Actually, I went to the game and he ran some errands. I also took a load of laundry by Lori’s and washed it since I broke the knob off the washer. Ralph thinks he can fix it with superglue. After we got our laundry, we ate at McDonald’s and then headed home.
    Tuesday was half price day at the thrift store so shopped there. While looking at the books, a lady came up to Ralph and asked if he was the man that sent books to Kenya. Turned out she had about 8 boxes of books in her car that she was going to donate but wanted to let him look though them first. We filled two boxes from her and bought 1 box full and I got about 40 pencils for OCC. In the afternoon I met with a friend to put together a prayer guide for our church. She had just moved so it was fun to see the house they are in. Beautiful place and nice large rooms.
    Wednesday morning I worked on the Echoes and in the afternoon we met about Good News Club. Thursday morning I got the invitations for Good News Club run off at church and then delivered them to the two schools. Now to see what kids come next Tuesday. In the afternoon we went to Lucy’s volleyball game and found out that there was no B-team game. Each of her parents thought the other one was telling us. So we watched the first game of the A-team, watched the high school girls practice a bit (son-in-law is coach), stopped by Lori’s house for a bit, ate at Taco Bell and then I was dropped off at Bible study on the way home. I was early so used the time to walk. I got started logging my food again this week and I need all the steps I can get to have more calories to eat with. We’ll see if I can get the pounds I’ve put on back off.
    One of Ralph’s cousins passed away Thursday evening. He had been diagnosed with a stage 4 metastasized cancer less than 2 months ago. A rare kind with no treatment but they thought he would have 3-6 months. He lives in CA so won't go to the service.
    Friday morning I did errands all by myself since Ralph went to go get soybean meal. I was home the rest of the day and all day today. My list for here doesn’t seem to get shorter but I have gotten some little things done. Tomorrow I’m doing a pork (beef is too expensive) roast with potatoes and carrots, canned peaches, and thin mint cupcakes. Friday I forgot to but our pizza – Ralph tolerated my substitution (liver and onions) but I’d better remember the pizza next week. Ha.

Isabella, your trip sounds like it was wonderful. Good times with family, good food, good visiting. I’m so glad you were able to go. Did hubby enjoy his time at home?
    You asked what I got – I got a simply fit board. I’d been watching the ads and thought it looked fun so my sister got it for my birthday. I got on it once – takes some balance but was fun but have not put the dvd in yet to learn from it. I also go a sink strainer that has a chicken on it that I’ll use when the one I have in the sink now wears out. Had more fun just looking.

Sheryl, already enjoying your woodstove – how fun it is for you. Glad you were able to take care of the bite you got. I have a friend who takes cherry juice for his gout. Too bad your mom isn’t willing to try but you shared the thought with her so did your part. So nice that you had lunch with Carol and Bible study and John was okay while you were gone. Yay on the haircut – I did that his week too. I did not know you could massage scar tissue out. Yay on being at stage 2. Does it bother John when you can’t answer his questions? It so neat that you can have such good times together – getting hay or walking in beautiful places. Maybe the rats were just checking to see if you’d slipped up and left anything out for them. And they found out you hadn’t.
  • isyvanek
    Debora, another busy week but sounds like it was a good week for you. I remember when you made the cream pie with the banana pudding! :) Yes, my trip home was really good and well worth it. No, hubby did not do well while I was away. He was very stressed and anxious the entire time I was gone. He was very happy to have me home. He is also stressing about the money I spent for the trip and while I was there and says we REALLY have to tighten our belts for a while and cut back on spending on everything. I'll see if I can figure out how to spend less on the groceries this month...

OK, just to let you guys know, I did clean my house today - I did the chores I neglected yesterday. Glad I got that off my chest! ;)

Have a wonderful week ladies!
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. So much to say, but I'm speechless. Just can't get my brain to work this morning. John has been up and back to bed, so maybe, I can pull my thoughts together.

Isabella, now I see how you are so close to Joe, you are closest in age. Nice big family, but almost like two families when there are many years between kids. Gayla is like that too, ten kids, but she is the baby and has nieces and nephews who are older than she is. What a wonderful family photo, great gang. My Mom came from a family of 6 siblings and my Dad, five, so I guess they wanted a small family, just Norma and me.

Speaking of Norma, tomorrow is a BIG day, Wedding Day. Yes, I said wedding day, it's happening fast, but it is so right, why wait? The pastor that Norma wanted to officiate was not available, so they decided to go to the courthouse in the afternoon and get married and then, have a reception in March when the kids and everyone else can be there. It's turning into a wonderful ceremony anyway, 2 of Norma's closest friends from church will be there to be witnesses and Norma and John will dress up even for the courthouse. They will go to dinner after and then to another friend's house (with a gorgeous yard) for pictures. All the while, I'll be at the dentist, thinking of them. I can hardly wait to see the photos.

I just can not say enough how happy I am for Norma. I love to talk to her, the joy in her voice beams through the phone. Oh yea, almost forgot, Mom met John Sunday afternoon. Mom seems genuinely happy for them. I'm so happy for that too, since Mom has been so jealous of Norma's friendships and activities, she could have put a damper on things. Although, Norma won't let that happen anymore, she is too elated for anyone or anything to bring her down.

Yesterday, I went to Bible study, it sure is good to get out and enjoy. I hope I can continue, but I told Mom yesterday that I'll see what happens as the weather gets worse. Right now, John can go outside and barely misses me, but if he's stuck in the house during winter, he'll go all over the house looking for me. I have caught him searching for me when I'm out of his sight now. He forgets to check the bathroom and thinks I've gone outside. And, when I have gone outside, (he forgets that I told him where I was going and why), he greets me at the door and says "I lost you, I looked everywhere".

This last load of hay is excellent, the llamas are eating every last bit of it, no waste. That's always a pleasure to see, no hay strewn all over the ground and picked through and stomped on. Nice!

Like all of you, I sure miss Marcie's comments. I haven't heard from Jim or Suzanne yet, but they both said it would be awhile. I trust Jim is doing OK, he has Cisco and Simon to keep him busy. I wonder if I can locate an obit. I assume I can get the Sacramento Bee (local newspaper) on-line.

I saw a Facebook post this morning that Carla has her mastectomy scheduled for next Tuesday. She has opted for the full removal of her right breast and no reconstruction. I'll be praying that all goes well and she's satisfied with her decision. She did not want radiation or chemo due to her other issues. She has Myasthenia Gravis and doesn't want to aggravate that problem. My Mom had the same procedure many years ago, opted for full removal and then did not need any other treatment. That worked out well for her, no other cancer in all these years.

I better wrap this up, I hear John again. And, my mug is empty.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. What a morning, John got up before me today, so everything is topsy turvy. The 3- day 2017 The Truth About Cancer seminar started this morning and I've missed most of it already, but am trying to listen to some of it now, many distractions, so I'll try to watch the rerun tonight. Ha, probably won't get to watch that either. Well, the break is over and another speaker is ready to start, I'll check back later (or tomorrow).
  • isyvanek
    Good morning ladies! I'm going to go to the farmer's market shortly then later this afternoon Dan and I will do our now usual Saturday routine of going to Trader Joe's and Sprouts. Then I'll make dinner and we'll watch a recorded movie. Such creatures of habit! :)

Sheryl, I can't believe you said married!!! I agree though, when you know, why wait?! I am so happy for them! Look forward to seeing the pics when you get them! God is SO good!! Will they live in Norma's house? When will they honeymoon? Details please. We all need this wonderful good news! I also have many nieces and nephews older than me. It was weird when I was younger so I used to call them my cousins (which they also were) but now I'm good with it. I saw the notices for the truth about cancer seminars just today so I won't be participating this year. I can't imagine what it is like with John looking for you. Hope you will still be able to go to bible study during winter. Even in our little house Dan will come looking for me sometimes. I'm usually in the bathroom! ;)

Debora, hope you're having a wonderful week. Look forward to hearing from you.

Love you ladies! Talk to you later.
  • sannferris
    edited October 2017
    Good Mid-Morning. Late coming over here today because I did have a chance to watch some of the cancer seminar. They are now at lunch break, they are in Florida this year. (last year was in Texas). John got up at 4 am, so it's been a very looong morning.

Here is a photo that Norma sent me Thursday night...more to follow.

wj0j62jcw6ck.jpg

For the time being, John moved in with Norma, since this happened so fast and they don't want to rush into a big move, finding another house, right now. But, Norma does not want John living in Don's house, so eventually, they will buy a home of their own, together. Most likely after Norma retires in March and then they could possibly move out of the area. John was not a fan of Southern California, however, since that's where Norma is, he has changed his tune. He came from Iowa and was from NY originally. They did spend Thursday night at a hotel, but really have no plans for a proper honeymoon. Will have the big reception in March and could possibly plan a honeymoon then. They do have plans for a week up here between Christmas and New Year. Also, Norma had already planned and paid for an Alaska cruise with friends in July that she is now trying to get John a ticket to join them. That could also be considered a honeymoon, just a little delayed.

I think the seminar is getting under way again. I thought this would be pretty much the same info as last year, but it's different, I'm learning more about various topics. One thing I may try, that I said I'd probably never do, is fasting. I'll see how I feel about it as I get more information.
  • arobed53

Hi everyone. It’s a sunshiny day here after a rain last night. It’s the yearly festival in one of our small towns so we’ll be going into it when Ralph gets done with the farm work. Another week has flown by and, even I, think it was a busy one. Sunday was good. We had enough leftovers to keep me happy.
  • jlhawki
    Hi Ladies! I'm trying to check in more but for some reason I forget about it until my days off. I don't forget about you all, it just the logging in to my fitness pal that slips my mind until I'm ready for bed.
    I did think of something that I forgot to tell you. Austin got his Eagle Scout! He made footstools for the hospital I work at-- the footstools are used in our NICU for the breastfeeding moms. He had finished the stools almost 1.5 years ago but just wouldn't do the paperwork. My friend Chris started pushing him (I gave up because my nagging wasn't helping) and she actually drove him to turn in the paperwork. We had his COH a month ago already and it was wonderful! I am so happy for him and was very proud that he wrote his thank you notes within 2 weeks. I know that my boys hate writing thank you's but I feel that you have to for certain things (weddings, graduation, baby showers, etc). I am so shocked how many people DON"T write thank you notes any more. Why am I spending my time and money if you are not going to thank me? I make special wedding 'sayings' (usually a heart shape with the couples favorite things written in it) as wedding gifts and send them if I can't go to the wedding. I've done 4 of them so far and got 1 thank you note. They take a lot of time and thought and I just want to know if they arrived and if the person liked it. I guess nowadays that's too much to ask. :/

Norma looks wonderful Sheryl! It so nice she found someone to spend the rest of her life with. I hope they have many happy years together! So glad you got to get out and see the new park! I have been so worried about the National Parks being downsized with the new administration that it's nice to see a new one opening. We have beautiful parks in the USA and I want to see them thrive for eternity.

Sheryl--Have you ever seen the 'Llama, llama red pajama' books? They are cute books about a very dramatic baby llama. The only reason I ask is that when you talk about your Llama's that book jumps into my head. Anyway, Ludacris the rapper has a video on you tube where he raps the book. It is funny to hear a book I read to my kids being turned into a rapping version! :)

Isabella--your trip sounds fun, busy but fun! Your family history is very interesting with your dad marrying your aunt and mom. That probably wasn't that unique years ago but you never hear about that today. I don't have a Trader Joe's close to my house but would love to be able to go more often! We have a place opening called 'Fresh Thyme' that is suppose to be Trader Joe like. I want to go and see what they have. I am already missing blueberries (I hate to spend over $2 for them)

I gotta go, will try to come back later and finish my thoughts. Have a great day ladies!
    v0rjfmg6i1za.jpg

• jlhawki
    I'm checking back in to finish my thoughts from earlier :)

Something in my kitchen stinks! Seriously, I've cleaned the trash cans, the garbage disposal, checked all the cabinets for food but can't figure out where the smell is from. I did notice that the Keurig was used and it was full of hot chocolate left over--I cleaned the tray and ran vinegar through it three times and am hoping that was the smell. It's a musty wood like smell. I was sure it was going to be a leak but if there is a leak, it's inside the cabinetry because nothing was wet. UGH, I hate when I can't figure out what is causing the smell! About 2 months ago I had a weird pantry smell and found a decomposing sweet potato. It must have gotten pushed off the shelf and fell behind it. It was a weird color and smell :(

Deborah--sorry I didn't get to 'talk' to you earlier! You are busy as usual :) Your Sunday dinner sounds delicious! Sorry to hear about your cousin, sad that he went so fast. I still can't believe Marcie isn't going to check in here anymore!
    You asked what Austin's job was. He's working at a Country Club as a bar back. He helps the bartenders get their supplies to the 'outdoor' stations and then is a busboy after he is done helping them. He is also working one day a week downstairs at the country club checking in members and shining shoes. He likes it because he works mostly weekends and gets all his hours in that way. Plus, he has a more set schedule and a lot of free time. He's a senior this year and is planning on going to the junior college here next year. I hope he can do more days next year but we will see if he's still there!

My hip is better most days but still causes me pain sometime throughout the day. It's mostly annoying but some days it's almost as bad as when it first happened. I am still hoping for a hip replacement but none of the doctors seem to want to do it yet.

Ok ladies, that's all for a while! Take care :)