Recipe share

Options

Replies

• FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Megan~ That sounds DELICIOUS!!! I LOVE shrimp!!

Karen~ I don't know if you have a place on the west coast but we have a place here called the HEALTHY BUFFALO...it's a butcher shop and they have all kinds of exotic meats...grass fed as opposed to the steroid/antibiotic stuff we get from the regular grocer. We have tried ostrich, buffalo, elk and alligator from them.
  • Femmigirlz
    Femmigirlz Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to check that out Cindy. I'm looking to save some money too as meat is very expensive.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Going to our local butcher here in town is not much more expensive than the grocery store. Buffalo is about as exotic as they get. But their meat tastes so much better. It is the only place I will buy meat.
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Liz my buffalo meat that I saw was too expensive for me. Just found it today. Oh well. Chicken is good.
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    Karen~ I don't buy it all the time but it's a nice change sometimes. We can actually buy buffalo at our regular neighborhood grocery store...it's comparable to good beef prices here. But my favorite is still chicken because you can eat it every day of the week and not have it taste like you are eating the same thing! There are so many different ways to cook it!
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Karen it's cheaper than almost all of trh other meats but initially it was a lot more expensive.

Cindy your butchery sounds awesome.

Liz I agree that meat is so much tastier from the
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Alice; 2 lbs of it here in California were about 20 bucks.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That is expensive Karen.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Megan, can't wait to try that shrimp recipe!
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Vegan Southwest Skillet
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 45 Minutes
    Ingredients:
    1 Cup Orzo Pasta
    1 Cup Frozen Corn
    1- 15 oz. Can of Black Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
    2 & 1/2 Cups of Water
    1/2 cup Container of Salsa (ALWAYS buy the freshest salsa you can… Usually found near the deli section or the produce aisle. The brand I use is called “Garden Fresh Gourmet” and is generally available at Kroger, Meijer, or Jewel).
    1/4 Cup Cilantro (Washed & Minced)
    1 Box of Morning Star Spicy Black Bean Vegetarian Burgers (use all 4 patties) (Cut into Cubes)

Directions:
    Add all ingredients, except for the Cilantro and Morning Star Burgers, into a pot and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once ingredients come to a rapid boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow contents to simmer about 30 minutes (This is a really great time to prepare the cilantro and the Morning Star Burgers to cut down on prep-time!). Make sure to stir the pot occasionally to prevent scorching. Once the Orzo is tender, add Cilantro and Morning Star Burgers (there should still be a little liquid visible in the pot, this is what is going to help cook the Morning Star). Cover and allow contents to cook 5 minutes more. Once the time is up, remove the lid, turn the heat off, and let stand for 5 minutes.

This is a meal my younger son made for us while he was home. It is now a family favorite.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That sounds great mystic!
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    Thanks soooo much for the share Liz!
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Liz; I've seen this recipe before and it looks delicious to me. I may have to try it for myself. My gf has diverticulosis and she cannot eat corn and she doesn't like Salsa ( I know right who doesn't like salsa?) LOL
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Cindy; Oh my I'm going to have to try that squash recipe. YUM!
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    Karen~ Let me know if you try it...what you think! I love it!
  • Femmigirlz
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's a very filling low calorie recipe that I made up. Only 339 calories.

Half a cup of mixed veggies of your choice I used roasted asparagus red onion mushrooms, tomato , fresh garlic. You can leave yours is vegetarian but I also top mine with 1 ounce of chopped baked chicken and then three chopped green olives on top.

I used three light rye Wausa crackers. I rub them with a half of tomato and fresh garlic just rub it right into the cracker.

Then I talked each cracker evenly with a sautéed vegetables.

I evenly distributed half of a slice of provolone cheese. 1 tablespoon of shredded Parmesan (fresh) and some Romano cheese.

I put them in the oven at 375 until the cheese was melted and boy were they delicious and extremely feeling.
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    ew3r4rroal9h.jpg
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    That looks amazing Karan! I can't wait to try it.
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Thanks Liz. It's very good, feels like eating 'clean' pizza if you know what I mean and very filling.
  • barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm Karen thanks for sharing this. I have to try that!