Options
mygnsac
mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
Any tips you want to share?

Replies

• mygnsac
    Options
    There are a bunch of how-to videos on YouTube. Here's one...

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thank you Marcie, this is so helpful. You are going to be my "go-to-gal" when I am floundering. I'm getting started on my learning curve now.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Adding foods to your diary.

Do you find you are having problems finding foods you already added to your diary while typing an item to search? Let's say you click the Recent Tab, or the Frequent Tab, etc?

What comes up is in the order of either Default (which is not alphabetized) for the foods you have already added making it time consuming to find what you want to add to your diary.

So, let's fix this problem.

When you add food to your diary you see all of the choices in blue tabs. The last tab to the right you see is Recipes. Look above that tab and you will see a Sort By choice where I discovered mine was on Default, which meant I saw the foods as I had added them and it meant they were not in alphabetical order.

To fix this problem.

I Clicked on the word Default in Blue and the choice came up to choose by Name in blue. Click on that blue word Name and it will alphabetize all of your foods you have added and any new foods you are looking for. This will include the recipes you have added.

Now when I add a food it is alphabetized and much easier to read making it much faster to add the food. I am not searching for the first one I added on the 10th of January after I joined MFP.

The one I am looking for comes up first because I type in what I want and do the search, this brings up what I am looking for in alphabetical order.

I can also add a recent food by clicking on diary and choosing the recent, frequent, my foods(if you add them), meals and recipes tabs. All blue tabs and when you click on either tab your foods will show up without having to type out the food you are looking for.

This is beginning to look a little more like NM making it more understood. Now I'm going to go back and rename all of my recipes and menus with the category it belongs in. Dinner items will have Dinner in front of the name, Lunch in front of the names, Breakfast in front of the name and Snacks in front of the names of the recipe or menu. I did this on NM so it was easy to plan a meal.

Yay! It's getting better here on MFP.
    Update:

The Meals Tab does not come up alphabetically, My Foods won't either. I found a question and answer regarding the non alphabetizing of My Foods and Menus. Below is the answer I copied and pasted.

Known Issues: Website
    If the issue you're reporting is listed below, it's on our radar and under investigation. Where appropriate, we will note any temporary workarounds. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by these issues.

We will update this article each time we release a fix for any issue described here.

Bug: My Foods and My Meals tabs not alphabetizing

Pagination and alphabetization of My Foods and My Meals lists is currently broken. We plan a fix, but must first complete an update of our food search technology.

Unfortunately, this is not a simple update and while it continues we are unable to fix the sorting issues on these lists. Once we are able, we will deploy a fix.

Workaround: While these lists are currently calamitous to browse, users can successfully search for My Meals or My Foods by typing the name in the search bar.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    From a post in the main forum...
    echofm1 wrote: »
    To edit a recipe on the website:
    On the top blue bar, click "Food" then when you're at that page, click "Recipes" on the darker blue bar that is below it. Click on the recipe you want to edit. Towards the top of the nutrition fact, just to the left, is a link for "Edit recipe." There you can edit or add ingredients.

To edit a recipe on the app - specifically iPad, but it should be pretty similar.
    Go to (or pull up) the left hand menu. Towards the bottom there should be what looks like a little cog. It may say "Settings" next to it. Tap it. Tap "My Foods and Exercises" and then "My Recipes." From there, click on the recipe you wish to make changes to and you can do so. Though it's trickier to get to, I find recipes easier to edit when using the app.

mygnsac wrote: »
    And, another post out on the main forum regarding another recipe calculator here on MFP.
    daw0518 wrote: »
    Is it the new calculator on MFP you're having trouble with?

There's no longer a way to get to the old MFP recipe calculator from the site I don't think, but I have it bookmarked & it seems to still work! I beg MFP to never remove the old calculator because the new one is completely unusable to me (and a lot of others, apparently!)

Anyways, here's the link I have:

It's much easier to use, in my opinion. myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • mygnsac
    Options
    And another one, on adding your own exercises...
    Onesnap wrote: »
    seasidesue wrote: »
    How do I log 30 minutes of exercise on the NordicTrack? I dont see it as an option anywhere...

You look it up online and log it (add it). That way it's always in your personal list to log as an estimate each time you do that workout!

calorielab.com/burned/

• sannferris
    Options
    Thanks Marcie, I guess this is the way I have to go. Calculate what I am doing and input it myself.

I had no problem at all with my food yesterday (of course, it was pretty straight forward, not creating a recipe or anything), but the exercise sure has me stumped.

Like everyone else...I MISS NM!!!!!
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Everyone, if you find a post out in the main forums that you want to follow, be sure to click on the little star that is across from the title of the post (the star will turn gold colored) and that will bookmark it for you). Later when you want to see if there any new comments on that post, click on the star at the top of the page (its right next to the bell symbol). Those are your bookmarked posts. When you dont want to follow a post anymore, just click on the star across from the title again.
  • sannferris
    Options
    Thanks again, Marcie, your tips are making this site so much better for me.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    Just figured out the star thing. I'd clicked a couple but finally got on to the bookmarked place. Thanks Marcie for the hints.
  • arobed53
    Options
    Marcie, I thought I had watched the youtube video you posted here. Guess I hadn't. Picked up a little more info. Going to go try making a meal of my breakfast. Logging isn't bad and their database is good.
  • arobed53
    Options
    Duh, took me forever to find quick tools - guess I kept clicking on other things and it wasn't where the click was at. Finally got my most used breakfast together as a meal.
  • methomas1111
    methomas1111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are great tips, thank you for posting this.
  • sannferris
    Options
    Welcome Maria.

We all need help during this transition. Marcie is the most experienced on this site and is guiding us through it. We miss NM so much.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Recipes are missing. When I want to add a food to my diary and I want a specific recipe I find that many of my recipes don't show up in the choices. If I go directly to recipes I see the recipe on the list. How can I fix it? The same for snack, sides and breakfast recipes.

Update:
    I found it, apparently they introduced a new bug in to the system with an update and the fix is coming next week.
  • tlspindor
    tlspindor Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I was able to pre log a day a head of time. :) I wonder if you can do more days a head of time. Of course right now I don't need to do that but I will have to check it out.
    There is a down fall to food logging that I found so far and that there is no way to do a search through your recent foods, instead you have to scroll through the many pages which really does take up time. I guess maybe I should purpose this and ask if they plan on putting in this feature a search button.
  • arobed53
    Options
    At least the foods you've used the latest are closest to the front. I tried alphabetical for awhile and that was harder for me.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could change it Aero--mine is alphabetical. I sure like the quick tool that lets me copy a whole meal over. I'm pretty boring and eat the same things especially when I'm working! Tammy, good to know you can pre log your food. I'll have to try that :)
  • arobed53
    Options
    When you're selecting your foods, at the upper right it says sort by - default or name. Name makes it alphabetical. I tried it and did have to go through the pages more. Default puts the more recent to the to and since I too eat the same things a lot, they are more likely to be in the first pages. Somehow I lost the meal made of my main breakfast so need to set it up again. That would be a good thing after Sundays when we are using the leftovers. Prelogging might work then too. Good thoughts.
  • arobed53
    Options
    Jeannie Peel showed a nutrition report. She gets it on her phone. Can I get it with my desktop? I'm probably missing something simple but can't find a graph like she has.