June check in and chat:June-o mess with these chicks

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    95lbs is effing unreal for OHP! Great work lady!!

And just to add.....

The only person any of us should be comparing ourselves to is the person we were yesterday! Keep grinding and you will set your own personal bests all over the place!

Lift on friends :happy:
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Vegas - agree 100% !:happy:
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    All of you ladies are role models for me. It's not about competition, but seeing where this journey could possibly take me. I'm slowly adding weight, and one day I hope I'll be posting some incredible numbers too. Thank you all for sharing your successes and motivating me to keep pumping. :flowerforyou:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of Kira-is-cranky-and-wants-to-squat workout:

Leg curls 3x8 @80
    Leg extensions 3x8 @80
    OHP (I did it standing, which I know was bad, but I didn't get hurt! I just couldn't figure out how to do it seated). 544 @75 - not bad for my first attempt at that weight.
    Lat pulldowns 3x5 @42.5 - dang, these were hard!
    Pushups (one-legged to spare the toe) 3x10
    Russian twists with a 10lb weight 5x10
    Back extensions 3x10 with a 10 lb weight

Better burn than last time, but I'm still having trouble scratching that all-over-exhaustion itch that squatting and deadlifting gives you.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    cleo that OHP is out of this world!!

I am so impressed that you got in there kira and figured something out to work your muscles. I am so sorry about your toe!! You will heal though and be able to get back into SL with out losing anything. Great job!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Workout B today

Squat: 145lbs 3x5
    OHP: 65lbs 3x5-- this one was pretty tough. I didn't think I could do it, started seconded guessing, then did it anyway.
    Deadlift: 175lbs 1x5---So tired after this. It's warm outside and I just want to take a nap.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    And just to add.....

The only person any of us should be comparing ourselves to is the person we were yesterday! Keep grinding and you will set your own personal bests all over the place!

Lift on friends :happy:

I agree :happy: It still won't quash the competitive side in me though.Yesterday's me better watch out cause she is going DOWN! :laugh:

Had a good, if not short, gym day after a mess at work in the morning and a child complaining of a sore throat at school. I haven't actually lifted on a Thursday with my new plan yet so it was nice to see what I could potentially do with a pure legs day. Squats and Deads were on the menu for me. Squats today were a 20% deload from Tuesday's "heavy" day so that I can work on control and explosiveness. All squats were a squat and hold for 3 seconds before starting back up.

Squats 1x5 @ 80, 90, 100
    DL 1x5 @ 155, 175, 195 - felt good for the most part, just having an issue with my knees caving in on the first pull at the higher weights. Thinking it is an issue of not engaging the proper muscles at the start. I'm going to get that worked out before moving up any further and probably add some adductor accessory work to help.

I had to work in with someone for the first time while I was doing DL. Good thing he was lifting the same weight as I was :bigsmile: Didn't really have to keep swapping out the plates.

Finished up with 2 rounds of 30 squat jumps up and over a step bench (alternating what leg is lower) and 3 reps of a 25 count goblet squat and hold with a 16 kg (~35 lbs) kettlebell.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh Hai! Is this the thread with ladies that can press 95 lbs over their head? Cuz I did that this morning! I did 4x5 @ 85 lbs, then decided to see if I could get a single rep @95 up. AND I DID.

Show-off. :huh:

Also, CONGRATS!!! :drinker: Great numbers!

@Vegas -- Nia Shanks is still rolling around in my brain, and when I get a free second I'm going to make a decision on which program I want to buy, and then go for it. But, I've spent last week grieving, and this week getting a home business out of the starting blocks, so Dani has like no free time right now and for the foreseeable future. It's a wonder I can even lift, bro. :bigsmile:

ANYHOO .... I found out today that later this year there will be a ladies' only power lifting meet at our church !!! I'm beyond excited !!! *happydance* My friend suggested I compete, but I think they'll just laugh at my piddly 85 pound squats, and so I may just end up helping out this year and then train in earnest for next year. We shall see.

I'm back to my old squat and bench numbers finally, and am playing around with Romanian deadlifts right now, which is fun. Happy to be getting back on track ... mostly.

Kira and Chubby -- great numbers!

jstout -- I think it's time for you to get serious about training for competition and quit fiddling about :flowerforyou:
  • jstout365
    Options
    jstout -- I think it's time for you to get serious about training for competition and quit fiddling about :flowerforyou:

But I like to fiddle about :bigsmile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

@Vegas -- Nia Shanks is still rolling around in my brain, and when I get a free second I'm going to make a decision on which program I want to buy, and then go for it. But, I've spent last week grieving, and this week getting a home business out of the starting blocks, so Dani has like no free time right now and for the foreseeable future. It's a wonder I can even lift, bro. :bigsmile:

I think you should buy BB....it's 19 workouts so it's plenty to keep you occupied....and hold your attention for awhile :laugh:

My resistance bands came in the mail today!!!!! WHOOP FOR PULLUPS!!!!!!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I've been thinking the same thing. About the competing.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I haven't been thinking about competing....YET.....but I did find a few gyms in the area for Olympic lifting so yay! Maybe in the fall I will be able to get someone to train me on proper form :happy:
  • jstout365
    Options

I just have to get off my butt and start checking out the local groups. I know the University has a powerlifting club that is open to students and faculty, but I don't know about alumni. I figure I can email them and see what my options are. Even if I can't compete with them, maybe they can point me to another group in the community. Or, I can just start my masters and be a student again!

Vegas - I'm torn between powerlifting and doing olympic lifts. Well, those and boxing. I still have the desire to pick that up. Maybe once the hubby is back I will see about checking out the local boxing gym and see if it is something that I would like.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I just have to get off my butt and start checking out the local groups. I know the University has a powerlifting club that is open to students and faculty, but I don't know about alumni. I figure I can email them and see what my options are. Even if I can't compete with them, maybe they can point me to another group in the community. Or, I can just start my masters and be a student again!

Vegas - I'm torn between powerlifting and doing olympic lifts. Well, those and boxing. I still have the desire to pick that up. Maybe once the hubby is back I will see about checking out the local boxing gym and see if it is something that I would like.

Yes, boxing is on my list too and I was supposed to start this month but when Mini Vegas decided that she wanted to do cheer, my boxing got trumped because it's on the same night :frown: I'm hoping I can do it in the fall now.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Checking in! Love reading the encouragement everyone gives.

Week 4, workout A:

Squats 5x5x90

Bench Press: 5x5x70

Pendlay Rows: 5x5x90 (ouch-think I need to stay at this weight next week. form wasn't great towards end)

Push ups: 1x10

I got to use my upper body strength on Wednesday. Friend and I were trail running, got caught in a thunderstorm. The muddy inclines we had to climb on our way back! Literally pulling myself up that last one. Was so glad I had the strength because my feet kept slipping in that mud. We got a good laugh out of the adventure.
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Just checking in, my past two workouts have not been great... Today was workout B:
    Squats 60 5x5
    OHP 60 3x5 and 55 2x5. I had to drop down on the last two sets because my arms felt like jello. I was seriously disappointed.
    Dead lift 140 1x5.

I thought my squat form was getting better but my right hip flexor is so sore that I'm actually limping a bit. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to make an appointment with a physiotherapist tomorrow. So I'm pretty frustrated, disappointed and in a ton of pain. :cry:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Hello *waves enthusiastically* I am new, but I lurk a lot. Been doing Stronglifts for a while so thought I would say hi.
    Your numbers are all so inspiring, I will get there one day *Rocky theme*
    Today was a B day for me and I did:
    88lbs Squat (5x5)
    44lbs OHP (5x5/3/4/2/2 - Not good!!)
    Deadlift of 132lbs (2x5 - I do extra 'cause I love it) All time PB for me there :smile:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone who is newly joining in!!

Yesterday I went and trained. It wasn't as hard as it was on Tuesday to get myself there. Once there, I still felt stiff and creaky but again, not as bad as Tuesday.

Squats 85 lbs 3X5 I'm surprised how much I've lost in my squats.

Bench 60 3X5 this wasn't too hard, but 78 lbs was *killing* me last time, so I was cool with 60

Power Cleans (I am doing Starting Strength) 35 lbs for 3X3 and 45 lbx for 2X3. I felt pretty good about these, they were probably the highlight of my workout.

I did steady-state cycling on a very low setting for 20 minutes afterwards. And then later I was walking, running, and playing at the dog park for a while.

I had had some gluten while i was on vacation, and some foods that I normally wouldn't eat. This week has been mostly about trying to get my eating back on solid footing. I had glutenb(a lot of it) on Tuesday, but none since, and I am feeling better little by little. I think by the time the weekend is finished I'll be back to the regular me.
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

No progress this workout - I lowered my row weight to work on form.

Squats 135lbs 5x5 - I think I'm starting to get the hang of these. Got a bit lower this time
    Bench 75lbs 5/5/4/4/4 Such a weak upper body!
    Rows: 65 lbs 5x5 technique better at this weight, but I'm still not sure....

Off to get some fractional weights today!!

Happy first day of summer!

Joanne
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am a lurker too but decided it is better to be a contributing member to this group. I really receive a lot of inspiration from you ladies and it keeps me going. Hopefully I can inspire other women as well, especially those 50 and older since I am 56 years old.

Okay here are my stats:

Squats 105#
    Bench Press 55# (had to de-load because form was wrong)
    Pendlay Rows 65#
    Overhead Press 42#
    Dead Lifts 110#

As you can see my weakness is upper body strength but I am working on it slowly. Don't want to injure myself because it takes longer to heal.