June check in and chat:June-o mess with these chicks

Options

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just have to get off my butt and start checking out the local groups. I know the University has a powerlifting club that is open to students and faculty, but I don't know about alumni. I figure I can email them and see what my options are. Even if I can't compete with them, maybe they can point me to another group in the community. Or, I can just start my masters and be a student again!

Well, I'm being told by a local coach that numbers are irrelevant. I gave him my piddly numbers, and he says I should sign up for our PL meet and go for it anyway. The association that is doing our women's meet in September really just encourages any female of any age to grab a barbell, start lifting, and get into the spirit of competing just for the fun of it (and because it's awesome).

So if my piddly numbers are competition material, then you really don't have an excuse. So get on with it already and inspire our gender to show the boys that barbell training isn't just for the swole dudes with the chicken legs. Girl power!! RAWR!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

So if my piddly numbers are competition material, then you really don't have an excuse. So get on with it already and inspire our gender to show the boys that barbell training isn't just for the swole dudes with the chicken legs. Girl power!! RAWR!

^^I agree!!!

I don't think I'm fully recovered from my OHP adventure on Wednesday. Squats @155 felt hard but I feel like I kept good form. Then bench--I've done 1x5 at 115 a couple weeks ago. I did 3x5@105 last week, so I decided to do 110 today. I failed on the 4th rep of the first set. I really wasn't feeling the upper body strength today, so I did the next 3 sets at 100. Rows were OK at 105. Then a few sets of good mornings and glute bridges.

I am off to Portland, ME this weekend to support my BFF who's doing an Ironman distance fundraiser for Alzheimers. I won't be doing anywhere near the full distance, but I might join her for part of one of her bike loops or run a few miles :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Yes, Ma'am! :flowerforyou:

And just for the chicken leg comment:

funny-leg-day-skipping-gym.jpg
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ahahahahahaha that is an awesome picture!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Wonderful numbers from all the ladies! Although I would really like to see the word "ONLY" not at all be used in this thread anymore in regards to amount of weight the ladies are smashing! :noway:

Nia Shanks squat and reverse lunge workout today. Holy eff. I gave a solid fist pump when I finished today's workout :laugh:

I'm also very happy that my resistance bands have arrived so I'm totally set to start chin-ups on Sunday :bigsmile: I have like 130# of resistance so I hope that is enough :laugh:

Happy Friday all!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options

@Vegas -- Nia Shanks is still rolling around in my brain, and when I get a free second I'm going to make a decision on which program I want to buy, and then go for it. But, I've spent last week grieving, and this week getting a home business out of the starting blocks, so Dani has like no free time right now and for the foreseeable future. It's a wonder I can even lift, bro. :bigsmile:

I think you should buy BB....it's 19 workouts so it's plenty to keep you occupied....and hold your attention for awhile :laugh:

My resistance bands came in the mail today!!!!! WHOOP FOR PULLUPS!!!!!!

@Dani: I totally second the recommendation for Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass. That's a whole lotta workouts for $34. I actually bought her (S)hero program with it, for an additional $11 bucks or so, and that's the program I'm doing right now. I like the simplicity but with a bit more variety. I'll do this for 16 weeks and then start one of the other 19 programs. Holla!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

@Vegas -- Nia Shanks is still rolling around in my brain, and when I get a free second I'm going to make a decision on which program I want to buy, and then go for it. But, I've spent last week grieving, and this week getting a home business out of the starting blocks, so Dani has like no free time right now and for the foreseeable future. It's a wonder I can even lift, bro. :bigsmile:

I think you should buy BB....it's 19 workouts so it's plenty to keep you occupied....and hold your attention for awhile :laugh:

My resistance bands came in the mail today!!!!! WHOOP FOR PULLUPS!!!!!!

@Dani: I totally second the recommendation for Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass. That's a whole lotta workouts for $34. I actually bought her (S)hero program with it, for an additional $11 bucks or so, and that's the program I'm doing right now. I like the simplicity but with a bit more variety. I'll do this for 16 weeks and then start one of the other 19 programs. Holla!

Yup, I think that any of her workouts will be worth it! I didn't end up buying (S)hero because I wanted primarily barbell workouts. I only have up to 30lb dumbbells and I am really not interested in spending more money on DB's right now! I've heard that it's awesome though!
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Checking in! Workout A today. Initially didn't think I'd do that well, but pleased to say I improved weight on squats and row - woo hoo! It's also the first time I think I've actually enjoyed being in the weights room. I finally remembered to bring some music and earphones, which helped (my gym doesn't have a great atmosphere), and I felt confident in what I was doing. Also - between you and I - I did feel a *little* bit smug watching this wannabe hard man next to me, constantly strutting around, checking himself out, pulling off awful form. Guilty pleasure over, tee hee.

Squat - 28kg (dumbbell)
    Bench - 16kg (dumbbell)
    Row - 22.50kg

... Also was naughty and did overhead press - beat my last weight! 15kg.

I know you're only supposed to do OHPs on B days, but does anyone occasionally do them on both? I mean, surely the rest day still gives my arms enough time to recover? Especially when it's like now, and I won't be working out again 'til Monday.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    A day for me, building back up from deload. 3x5 for: squats 52.5kg, bench 32.5kg, pendlay rows 37.5kgs, all felt goood even with my slightly tweaky back (yes I know I'm naughty). It was too hot though to do the HIIT. The women's change room was -cold- but the main gym was on a different circuit. grr.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I just made my target of my husband's bodyweight (or more) being my working weight... he made it easier for me by losing weight lol... he's currently 153lb and I just did 1x5 160lb :happy: I should have done it yesterday, but I didn't have enough plates so I had to go out and buy some more.

yesterday I did squats 115lb 5x5. (less good on the OHP though lol)
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I know you're only supposed to do OHPs on B days, but does anyone occasionally do them on both?

I did OHP 3 times a week for a long time and didn't seem any worse off for it.

A typical workout for me would be squat, bench, deadlift, then OHP.

Or squat, bench, power clean, row, then OHP.

The Stronglifts police will not come after you if you OHP more than "you're supposed to" per some spread sheet. It's a fabulous lift, and if you have flabby underarms and weak shoulders like me, then the more OHP, the better, far as I'm concerned.

The A/B workouts are designed with the thought in mind to increase your strength as quickly as possible by keeping the workouts short and manageable and by giving your muscles plenty of time to recover. It's a very effective system which, like Starting Strength, is specifically geared towards giving you the most amount of strength in the shortest possible time.

But, if you have a lot of patience and don't particularly care to get uber strong in 12 weeks ... then do OHP every workout, if you love it. Cause, why not?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I took a week off, due to vacation.
    Decided I did not have time or envy to drive to my parents in this heat. I have to go there to do session B, which is what my app says I am on.
    I am at low enough weights I can still do my 5x5 at home with the Youth Weight Bench, but not Deadlifts.
    So I did A at home on the back porch, in this summer heat. jotted it down on the dry erase board.
    My weights are the same, didn't go down with a week off, like I thought I might!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah!!!! I got 5x5 on my OHP today! I'm so excited.

Workout B
    Squat 65 5x5
    OHP 45 5x5 !!!!
    DL 105 1x5

I'm pretty pleased with myself. I hope you all had a great Friday. :flowerforyou:
  • DaniH826
    Options

I'm definitely going to get and do BB. I do have dumbbells that go up to 35 lbs and so I might shell out the extra few bucks for (S)Hero just as a long-term thing. I did a few sets of dumbbell rows with 25 lbs yesterday and those felt pretty badass compared to my tenners, so I'm definitely hooked on heavy dumbbell work now. Bring it!
  • JamBlaze
    Options
    I know you're only supposed to do OHPs on B days, but does anyone occasionally do them on both?

I did OHP 3 times a week for a long time and didn't seem any worse off for it.

A typical workout for me would be squat, bench, deadlift, then OHP.

Or squat, bench, power clean, row, then OHP.

The Stronglifts police will not come after you if you OHP more than "you're supposed to" per some spread sheet. It's a fabulous lift, and if you have flabby underarms and weak shoulders like me, then the more OHP, the better, far as I'm concerned.

The A/B workouts are designed with the thought in mind to increase your strength as quickly as possible by keeping the workouts short and manageable and by giving your muscles plenty of time to recover. It's a very effective system which, like Starting Strength, is specifically geared towards giving you the most amount of strength in the shortest possible time.

But, if you have a lot of patience and don't particularly care to get uber strong in 12 weeks ... then do OHP every workout, if you love it. Cause, why not?

Thank you! That's a great response and you're right. I started this program because I wanted to feel myself getting stronger - I have no time limit or deadline, I just want to do my best, so thanks. I'm going to up the frequency :)
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi! I started strong lifts yesterday (was going to start NROL4W, but I need too many accessories so figured SL 5x5 would be a better place to start me off).

I am training at home and am pretty sure I'm going to be addicted to lifting. I'm starting with basics (also seeing a PT to discuss form and technique) and hoping that I can start seeing a difference in my body composition in the not too distant future.

My stats:

H: 163cm
    SW: 105.7kg
    CW: 101.5kg
    GW: 65 - 70kg
    BF: Not sure where I am up to at this Fat2Fit stuck me at 54%, but I'm seeing someone next week with calipers who will hopefully give me a better idea (I know these methods are not totally accurate, but it's better than not knowing).

I'm also 30, married and a mum of 3 from Australia.

Anyway can't wait to get more into the program!

Tam :smile:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    My status this morning in case you aren't on my fl (and if not, why not?! Add me you gorgeous BAMFs!).

I've recorded the full horror of the EIGHT pound gain I've had over the last few months of uncontrolled eating, inadequate logging and lack of cardio work. The only consolation is that the heavy lifting has minimised the impact of that on my clothes. Today is day one of being disciplined with eating and logging. If I don't close my diary out please kick me! Also I need to think of a way to add in more cardio than a quick HIIT session on the bike, preferably without compromising my lifting, which I am loving Soooo much! Tl;Dr version: I've been a pig and put on some timber, time to sort it out! Keep me accountable :-)

I'm not overly worried but need to get everything lined up and under control. I don't want to compromise my lifting, but do you think I should drop a session for cardio or try to add in some finishers? I work out late and don't eat until 9pm those days as it is...
  • JamBlaze
    Options
    My status this morning in case you aren't on my fl (and if not, why not?! Add me you gorgeous BAMFs!).

I've recorded the full horror of the EIGHT pound gain I've had over the last few months of uncontrolled eating, inadequate logging and lack of cardio work. The only consolation is that the heavy lifting has minimised the impact of that on my clothes. Today is day one of being disciplined with eating and logging. If I don't close my diary out please kick me! Also I need to think of a way to add in more cardio than a quick HIIT session on the bike, preferably without compromising my lifting, which I am loving Soooo much! Tl;Dr version: I've been a pig and put on some timber, time to sort it out! Keep me accountable :-)

I'm not overly worried but need to get everything lined up and under control. I don't want to compromise my lifting, but do you think I should drop a session for cardio or try to add in some finishers? I work out late and don't eat until 9pm those days as it is...

How much cardio are you currently doing? I wouldn't drop a weights session. Personally, I do 2 sessions purely weights, then 1 session there I do a 15 - 20 minute run afterwards, and then I do a workout DVD OR go for a run on the weekend (I lift Mon - Weds - Fri). Seems to be working fine for me.

Sorry to hear about your gain, but good for you for tackling it head on! At least it's just single digits, hey?
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Just Hiit after lifting (about ten mins on the bike). With a full time job, 2 small girls and a husband who runs it is hard to have a regular schedule and a little bit of a life! I know food is the biggest element of this..
  • JamBlaze
    Options
    Honestly, don't beat yourself up about it. You realise where you've gone wrong, you're on it - everyone has periods where they go off track, get fed up, complacent, distracted, whatever. The weight will come off again.