Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

@deksgrl Awesome!!! Are you taking any of the supplements we’ve discussed, or ‘just’ doing LCHF?

Just doing LCHF. I do take a B Complex vitamin and D (when I remember to take it).

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Good morning/evening ladies.Just had to share. My mum called last nite to talk about this "thing" I'm doing. She wants to lose her tummy roll so wanted to know if I thought the belly fat eating foods Dr.Oz recommends would work. Strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, & avocado. I tried to explain LCHF, again. Then told her about the Rhodiola & Ashwaganda some of you are trying. She's going to talk to her pharmacist about the supplements, but because it came from Dr. Oz, she feels fruit is the way to go. I might have said he can be a bit of a quack sometimes (no filter), but do what she feels is best. I told her my weight & measurement loss numbers. At least she's becoming a little more open to this woe, just not understanding fruits & veggies have carbs too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well, eating fruits can be an improvement depending on what she is currently eating. Next time she asks, show her the "butter made my pants fall down" video. :)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, we are a chatty bunch, aren't we! So fun to read everyone's comments, but I have to admit my head gets muddled with who said what. I'm the old lady of the bunch, though, so hope you pardon me. ;)

@deksgrl Fantastic that you're on a losing trend now! All of us well know the weeks of....nothing! Yay for you!

@Liana and @Janice Would love to see your gardens! You have my utmost respect for the hard work that goes into growing beautiful flowers and vegetables.

@May I loved your exercise tour as far as I could watch it---I'm very prone to motion sickness and yep, it started, so I had to end my tour. I love the lush, green landscape though. I could make a movie about buses, planes and boats, but you wouldn't want to watch it. :D

@Kate How exciting that your mom is asking questions! Good for her. After she finds out that the berries don't really cut it, she'll be back to learn more, hopefully.

I skipped the ashwagandha yesterday b/c I was feeling 'speedy' and didn't know if it was from that or just my periodic feeling of being hooked up to an electrical charge. I took it this morning though, so we'll see how it goes. I really want something to work!

Remember I told you my son was newly diagnosed with diabetes? I adjusted his meals (disability requires that I help him) and in just two weeks he's lost 12 lbs! He's so proud of himself, and my husband and I are proud of him too. It's been quite an adjustment for him and he hasn't been happy about it--at all!--but he's doing it. He has had the 'carb lesson' from me before, but now he believes it and is voluntarily dropping buns from his burger sometimes and passing up donuts at the community center he goes to twice a week. So proud of him for doing that! I told him he's done in two weeks what's taken me almost 5 months to do. He said, "sorry, mom" and then laughed with delight that he's beating me. :) It makes me so happy that he's doing this. His blood sugar is testing fine.

@karla I'm so sure that your scale will be down soon if it hasn't already gone there. I guess it's not surprising that a gain would come back after such a huge whoosh. You're doing so great, and I know it will continue!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's a photo of my rhubarb this year...just a test because I don't have any photosharing site and just set one up now. A royal pain in the *ss btw. Yaaay! It worked. Its obviously a 4 foot stepladder and my size 9 gumboot for size reference. Tender & sweet too!
    002%20800x600_zpsjgpvid4m.jpg
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Ellen, love that your son is doing so well with his decision to fight the blood sugar! It's so great that he has your knowledge to help him. My family is enjoying the butter on their toast (ugh!). Carb addicts United and decided they couldn't do that. Whatever. We can't make everyone do this, just live by example is my choice. The scale will move again. It's worrisome, but I don't dwell on it or allow it to make me begin to make poor food choices! :smiley:
    @Janice, I understand the frustration. My mother said, "We went a year without eating any bread, pasta, potatoes and didn't lose any weight." The problem was they replaced those carbs with fruit carbs. So yeah, no weight loss expected. They choose not to listen. I've chosen not to talk about it and not allow their choices to cause stress for me. :smile:
    @Liana, your rhubarb looks to be blue ribbon size! My great grandfather grew rhubarb in his garden (in Dayton, Ohio). I always think of him when I see rhubarb. He was an amazing man that I was fortunate to know for 19 years of my life. Thanks for the picture and the awesome memories it brought up for me! :smiley:

I went to physical therapy for the headaches today. The therapist did a bit of massage and when in was finished I felt like I'd been drugged for a bit I thought of the earlier conversation about this and was glad to know it happens. I've learned so much from all of you and this group! I know it takes time and commitment to mfp to maintain the friendships here, and I appreciate all of you! It seems we have a 24/7 support group (instead of the once a month option at the surgeons office) and I love it!! My son is now gone from Monday morning to Thursday evening each week (hubbies parents live five minutes away from the college campus), so it's like he's away at college. Sort of empty nesting going on. His schedule will change each semester, so it won't always be like that. Is it a bad thing to not miss him very much? I feel like it's a break for me. It's nice to be able to just worry about my needs.

Anyway, have a great day everyone! {{{{HUGS}}}}
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I soo love reading everyone's posts. My name is Karen, but my family calls me Bop. This past weekend, I only work Sat & Sun 16 hrs each day, was so stressful that I fell face first into a pint of Delcu Des Leches icecream Sunday night. Oh well. Back on the horse I go. Have been having good weight losses so far. Have a great week.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies sure have been busy while I was at work today ! I've had a kind of a break from work today, and attended a Non Violent Crisis Intervention course. I think it's the 4th time I've taken this, but it's been a few years. It was good to be away from my scheduling. I took advantage of going home early and sat in the sunshine on my deck and promptly feel asleep. It's a different kind of tired that my regular routine, since I'm not used to being in a classroom, or boardroom in our case.

It is wonderful to read everyone's posts, isn't it ? I love it.

My garden really isn't that special, I don't think anyway. It might be better than a vacant lot overgrown with weeds but that's about it. I just plant stuff I like, mostly vegetables and a few flowers mostly in pots and containers. My hard work is over for a while, so just watering mostly now. I'm looking forward to the cucumbers the most, but like to look at the flowers while I sit on my deck. At my mother's place the garden is more elegant and ordered ( rose bushes, geraniums and calla lilies) except the wild flower garden. I started to weed that bed, but didn't get very far and now the mosquitos are too thick back there. But I can see the irises peeking up through the tall grass....kind of like a wild prairie, kind of pretty now. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the yellow ladies slippers and now they are done, but shasta daisies and Queen Anne's lace, poppies and other flowers whose names I don't know are coming up. The real work will come later when the veggies need harvesting and I get the pickling and canning bug.

I gave myself a little pick-me-up last evening and went to visit the workplace I left 14.5 months ago. I have lost 41 pounds since these people last saw me. But when I went to work yesterday I had numerous technical difficulties which resulted in not being able to log onto my program to work on my current employees' payroll, and after 2 frustrating calls to the help desk, I was left with access to my old workplace instead. So I figured I should visit the old workplace and surprise them. It was a boost to my ego, since they didn't want me to leave them, so I know they'd be pleased to see me, but also because I wanted to show them what I look like now. Hee, hee.

So I came in the front door, and the receptionist who has known me for years had her face all screwed up in confusion and honestly didn't recognize me until I was right up at the desk in front of her and spoke to her to get her attention. We hugged and chatted, then I moved onto a unit to start looking for staff. I went unit by unit and hugged everyone and they all told me how great I looked. It was so nice to see them. Such fun to see their reactions ! There were little squeals of delight as I entered each unit. They asked me how I am losing weight, so of course I told them...but you know how it is, most people don't believe it when I tell them what I eat and they stop listening. Some told me that I shouldn't lose more weight, that I look fine now, but that's only because they have only seen me obese. I'm still obese for Pete's sake ! I want to lose 50 more pounds and see how I feel. When I tell them that I weigh 203 pounds, they can't believe me. I am sure that this woe makes us more compact than carb eaters. I know that I was 25-30 pounds lighter the last time I wore the clothes I am now fitting into...it's kind of a miracle. But as I looked at most of them, they all had "wheat bellies". I just told them that I will pop back in to visit with each 20 pounds I lose to show them that I still have a long way to go. I want to see how it feels to be a normal weight.

I should wrap this up now and have a bath and an early night. Good evening/morning everyone.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hallo Ladies, received a lovely email message from @GrannyMayOz inviting me to join your group. My name is Pam, and I live near Swansea in South Wales, U.K., I am 64 and although I live in Wales I am English from the "Black Country" I married a Welshman deceased, which is how I ended up in Wales, I love gardening and have a Greyhound *kitten*, really enjoying this WOE, I always ate meat every day and preferred the fatty meats anyway, I eat chicken when no other option appeals, not a huge fan of fish but try to have it once a week, I have been low carbing since easter and have lost about 20lbs :) still finding my way with some items, but nice to know I can ask, what may seem a silly question and get a proper answer, looking forward to getting to know you all in time.
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @GrannyMaeOz, I am celebrating on July 21st :) I think it must have been really hot the year I was born cause I just love the heat and sunshine !!
    The scale is not moving this week but I have had a couple drastic drops so I will just keep doing what I am doing until my body adjusts and catches up. I think while clearing out the driveway
    circle yesterday I found a hornet's nest in the moss, heard a lot of buzzing so I just ran for the house lol! I think I will get fully dressed, tape up the openings around my wrists and ankles and investigate !! My son who lives a a
    boat ride up the coast is coming for an overnight visit today, some mother/son time :) Bringing some fresh seafood and I have the rib eyes already, can't wait for dinner time ! Hope you all have an amazing day !! Oh, the picture (hope this works) is part of the driveway circle, it was 3 years overgrown and my project is getting it back down to the ground. just over 1/2 way there (this is the "good" side). The undergrowth was 1 1/2ft high !!
    6mftrjnf14r9.jpg
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    HI Everybody!

Thanks, May, for the invite. I am Low carbing. It has been helpful. Funny how the body changes as we mature, isn't it. Before, I could tolerate carbs better and my glands were more active. ;)

Now thanks to low carbing, I am losing weight and inches. I have a nice workout plan to maintain my muscle mass (perhaps increase it) and maintain my bones. I found some neat back exercises online Youtube Eric Goodman--has really helped me.

Now I am focusing on my health--physical, spiritual, mental, emotional. I look forward to going back and reading the previous pages and learning form all of you.

Have a good one!
    Pedi
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    @Karlotta I love that video too. It was filmed in a part of England that I didn’t ever visit (by someone I don’t know on YouTube), but the country lanes are similar to the area I lived in as a teen before coming to Australia. The English countryside will always have a special place in my heart. And men… oh boy! I forgot the option where he suddenly has a bright idea, that was exactly what I said to him 2 minutes ago, or the option where he tells me I was wrong and feeds back a reworded version of exactly what I just said aarrggghhhhh! I guess they’re all the same ;) So pleased the valerian is helping you. I’m happy so far with my Ashwaganda complex. Waiting to measure on Friday and see whether to increase my dose. Hope you’ve been game to weigh and been rewarded with a good result. How are the headaches today? I do hope they’ve finished torturing you. And no, it’s not bad at all to be enjoying your new freedom, please don’t feel that. It’s a long, long time between giving birth and getting genuine time to yourself once more.

Thanks for the clarification @deksgrl.

@Kathie I hope that your mum works her way through the other options fairly quickly and then listens properly to what you’re trying to tell her.

@Ellen yes, we are chatty. It’s a shame that ‘chin wagging’ isn’t a high calorie burning activity! I’m so sorry the video gave you motion sickness. Of course I’m moving too when I watch it so I haven’t had that outcome. Your transport movie sounds interesting to me. I’m sure your transport is different to mine. I hope you went better with the Ashwaganda, or whatever was causing your speed yesterday. And wow, that is *fantastic* about your son’s change in diet and weight loss!

@Liana that is the biggest rhubarb I have *ever* seen. My father used to grow it when we lived in England. You hardly ever see it here in Australia, tinned or fresh. You can upload photos directly into thread posts (you just can’t do it in personal journals). Let me know if you want instructions.

@KarenBop whoah – 16 hour days? No wonder you fell face first into something. I hope you are feeling refreshed again by now.

@Janice So glad you got a break for your normal routine, and that is so fantastic about your visit to your old workplace. I love that they were all so happy to see you, and happy for your victory! My cousin is the worst one for telling me I shouldn’t lose any more and am already too skinny when nothing is further from the truth. As you say, it’s what they’re familiar with and they don’t want their boats rocked tee hee!

@Pam so happy you’ve come to join us. I do love your avatar, it’s so cute! I was born in England too – High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire to be exact. Visited Wales once and stayed on a farm with a scout troupe (my dad was a leader with them) and it was so beautiful. The farm lad taught me to count 1-10 in Welsh but I found out later that he’d actually taught me ‘One tooth in a cow’s head’. I can only laugh! Your weight loss to date is really good. I’ve lost 6.9 kgs (16 lbs I think?) since 23rd January. Ask whatever you like here, nobody is going to laugh. Please do tell us when your birthday is so that we can do birthday wishes when the time comes! And roughly where in the world are you?

@Cindy thank you for your date. I beat you by 3 days. I love the sun too but it’s mid-winter for my birthday here in Oz. So pleased you are staying cool about your weight. We all seem to get these undeserved plateaus, but we’re all in this together and all understand. I hope there weren’t any hornets. My husband sprays them with insect surface spray and it kills them instantly, but he’s still more game than I am to mess with them. I’m chicken, and then some! Your garden looks amazing already. That driveway circle is beautiful.

@Pedi welcome, it’s so good to see you here. I will look at Eric Goodman, thank you. Please do tell us when your birthday is so that we can do birthday wishes when the time comes! And roughly where in the world are you? ‘Have a good one’ sounds Aussie to me. My husband is a bus driver in Perth city and hears that 50 times a day, it’s so cute.

I hit a new low this morning so I’m very excited about that and, as well all do, hope it’s the beginning of a massive losing streak ROFL I’m not expecting it to be, but, little by little I’m chipping away. 6.9 kgs lost and 9kgs (roughly) more to go. Oh well. I’m enjoying the journey with you all by my side – thank you for the friendship <3
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well, it's definatley a hornet nest in the ground, I raked lightly around the area I thought it was in and a few started buzzing around so I left them alone. Have to figure this out LOL!
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Welcome aboard to all the new ladies. You have found the best subgroup there is. These ladies are pretty amazing and I look forward to checking in just to see what everyone is up (or hopefully down) to. Amazing support system and not only with food/weight.

Storm Bill didn't drop as much water on us as expected so that's a huge positive for the South Texas area! It is actually really nice and sunny out there right now and it's only supposed to be mid 80's today. Great day for a walk I hope.

Looks like several of you have found what works for you with the weight loss victories. I'm afraid to step on the scales right now but I'm celebrating the fact that I feel pretty good considering.

Hope you ladies have a great day. I've got to at least pretend to work some...........
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    May, I am from Amarillo, TX. Thanks fr the welcome.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Well GrannyMay it was an unusually difficult day. No I normally can make it without difficulty but not last weekend. But forward not backward.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    May, I am from Amarillo, TX. Thanks fr the welcome.

*waves from Midland*
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Hi everyone, and welcome Pedi and Pam. Had a not-so-great night last night after being awakened by pain, but actually lost a little (old) weight. I was surprised at that since I usually gain, esp when I don't sleep well.

I have 3 more days to finish out my month trial of ZC. Since I've lost only 1 stable pound and don't have a clue as to what to do, I've decided to stop logging my food until the end of the day. I want to make sure I'm eating by hunger, not by watching macros and calories. Seems that most ZC people don't log food, they just eat meat and don't worry about macros or calories. That's what the meativore challenge was supposed to be, I think. I still want to know what I'm doing so I don't go way off kilter, but I'm in such a going-nowhere place I might as well see if I'm really eating by hunger or unconsciously trying to keep calories low so I don't gain weight. Years of doing that can sneak up out of habit. I watch my protein macro and that's usually the first thing to be used up. Not wanting to have too much protein, I'm often low in fat b/c most things that have fat also have protein. There's only so much oil and butter I want to eat. What I've been doing isn't working, that's for sure. I ought to at least be losing some inches if not weight. My husband is getting concerned b/c he sees the way I eat. There's no apparent good result, so he's concerned that I'm harming myself by eating such a restricted diet. If he saw results, I think he'd be ok with it.

Sorry to be a one-note nelly all the time. I'm just so frustrated and feel like I've hit a wall since March. I'm not going to take any more supplements to try to help things along. I'm reacting negatively to them and am wasting money too. I'll just have to see what my body will do on its own. I hope it will eventually do something!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Wheatless, are you doing straight meativore right now, no veg?
  • wheatlessgirl66
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Wheatless, are you doing straight meativore right now, no veg?

I'm not eating vegetables, but have had macadamia nuts and avocados sometimes. A bit of sour cream and cream cheese. But mostly meat.

Edited to say I get tired of simply meat. I was always a veggie/fruit lover.