Exercising

arobed53
arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
Sheryl and I are going to work on encouraging each other in our exercise and would love to hear from any of you. Even though you can lose without exercise (I'm proof of that), there are many other benefits. I've heard recently from two different sources that we should do a minimum of 30 minutes a day five days a week done in one 30 minutes session or three 10 minute sessions. It can be walking, running, chores when consistently moving, etc. etc. I know some of you do much more and I'd love to hear about it too. Just pop in whenever you do some and post what you did.

Sheryl got us going by doing 1 mile with Leslie today. Go Sheryl Go.

Replies

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for posting this, I was hoping you would when you mentioned it in the PBSWC thread. I came across my stepper with elastic cords in it's box the other day. I pulled it out and set it up. I had forgotten I had that, it was in storage for so long and saw it caught up in all the boxes I had to go through. I gave it 5 minutes and the burn was intense. I will have to work up to more time on it though. I think I am going to sell my Trikke and just use this stepper because I can do that indoors and it won't matter what the weather is like.

I can only use the Trikke in the winter when the weather is decent and there are no mosquitos because those things make a meal out of me the instant I step outside. So with the my recumbent bike and my stepper I may be able to get all the exercise I need daily. I sure hope to have stronger legs by May so the walking and standing will be easier for me. I also have a pilates machine but cannot use it. I can't get up from the floor because it is just too low for me. If we put it on a stand I might be able to use it too. Otherwise I will probably just sell it and it has only been used three times and is still in the box. I also have the jump board that comes with it.
  • arobed53
    Great job Anewstart22. 5 minutes is great for the first day. It would be great to have your legs stronger. Maybe you can do 6 minutes tomorrow or another 5. Baby steps.

I got out Leslie and did the warm up and the blue mile and it was harder than I thought it would do. It's more of a workout than just walking. So I got 17 minutes with it and 11 minutes when I set up chairs at Good News Club - I keep up a steady back and forth pace so got 28 minutes. I got other steps in but those are the minutes I can count.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    This is great, thanks Debora, I need the accountability.

Yesterday, I didn't get to the dvd, but PT was intense. This morning, I did the Wednesday 1 mile, ON Wednesday. I'm remembering that last year, at this time, I tried to get into the habit of daily walking and couldn't even get through the warm-up portion without having to sit and rest. That's when I knew something was seriously wrong with me. What a difference a year makes.

I will continue to try to do the walking first thing in the morning, otherwise, it seems that I don't get to it.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    I got 6 minutes in today, I used a timer this time. I went three sessions at two minutes each. The burn is really bad though and alot of it is from my Fibromyalgia so I just have to get through it.
  • arobed53
    Sheryl, I think PT counts cause it is a workout. So cool that you can do the warm up and a whole mile.

Anewstart22, great on the 6 minutes. It all helps. Be careful not to overdo while you're getting going.

I'll have none today. I'm getting steps but not pushing things. I did have a fever last evening so skipped walking and slept in this morning.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Debora, I'm glad you are letting your body heal.

Walked briskly around the State Capitol Park at lunch today. Didn't have my pedometer with me, but it's about 1 mile around and about 1/4 mile back to work. Perfect weather for it right now.

2d4meojya2r5.jpg
    path.jpg 209.8K
  • sannferris
    Marcie, you remind me of my sister, walking at break time and lunch time. She calls me on her cell and I marvel that she can walk briskly AND talk to me at the same time. I get out of breath just talking. You have a beautiful walking area, looks like a lovely place.

Portland has Forest Park, a 5,100 acre park within the city limits of Portland. I've heard of it for years, but we never visited. I checked it out on the internet over this past weekend, thinking that we'd drive there on Sunday. Found out that it's all hiking trails, you have to walk, bike or take your horse. No motor vehicles. So, that will be a destination for John and I this coming summer, Sunday was too cold to be out of the car for very long.

Anewstart, I agree with the others, don't over-do. You don't want to push so hard that you can't make your up-coming trip. Congratulations on what you've done, good work.

Debora, saw your fb comment about entering Kentucky, congratulations. Take it easy, a fever is nothing to fool with.
  • sannferris
    I feel rejuvenated, did another 1 mile this morning. Thursday was listed as 2 miles, but after telling you guys not to over-do, I decided I'd better stick with my original plan and only do 1 mile each day all this week. I'll have to start logging the extra exercise, I've been skipping the extra logging, only duplicating the PT calorie burn each day. That needs to change too, they increased my weights and changed the stretching to more strenuous.
  • arobed53
    Good morning. You're right, Sheryl, the sooner you get the exercise done the better. I walked a mile with the DVD (20 minutes) and then 10 minutes of just walking in the house so I've met my 30 minute goal. The rest of my steps will just be steps.

Marcie, beautiful walking spot. Nice that you can use your lunchtime. With your commute, your evenings go quickly.

Sheryl, cool on having a neat destination for the summer for you and John to go to. Great on the mile along with the PT stuff to do. Are the weights held or hooked to your arms?

• sannferris
    The weights are hand held dumbbells. I am at 3 pounds now. And, I've graduated to the blue resistance band, stiffer, and therefore, more resistance.
  • arobed53
    I don't do any resistance stuff and know that's something I need to work on. What do you do with them? You may be doing it for PT but it could work for me too maybe.
  • sannferris
    edited February 2015
    Did my 1 mile this morning and am headed to PT. Debora, I'll try to explain the resistance tomorrow, I'll be gone almost all day today.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, I didn't get to the dvd this morning, but I have a moment to talk about the resistance exercises that I have as PT homework.
    zgt9dxgjwhzm.jpg

I actually keep my arms at waist level, (they call it "rowing motion"), since I can't raise my left arm that high yet.

psf9i08rn4c6.jpg

This is side motion, both inward and then outward.

The other exercises, that I don't have the diagrams, is using a broom stick to raise my arm up. In the gym, it's a pulley system, but at home, I use a stick. I'll see if maybe I can find a photo on-line for these others. And then, the hardest one right now is putting my arm behind my back and holding on to the end of a towel or pillow case and using my right hand, on the other end of the towel to pull up my left arm and stretch it up and behind my back.

Laying flat on my back, I do the same side motion as the bands, but using the weight instead. Boy, this is hard to explain.

• arobed53
    Hi, it's lunchtime here and I'm doing eating. I did walk Friday morning so got 35 minutes in. I haven't done anything yet today - maybe when hubby goes off to chore. It's easier when I'm here alone for some reason.

Thanks for explaining the resistance stuff. Strengthening is important I know. Maybe I can baby step my way to doing something.
  • sannferris
    I agree, Debora, it's easier when alone, unless your partner is going to walk with you. But, I don't want to hear John's little comments if he's watching.

Here's a link to the stretch using a towel

Towel-Shoulder-Stretch

I copied a couple diagrams using the weights, but it won't let me put them here. Must be a copyright thing or something.
  • sannferris
    I printed out the photo and then scanned it back into my computer.

The center picture and the one to the left of center is with weights.

stjzqm3l11uq.jpg

• arobed53
    Thanks again. Hubby left so I went downstairs and did the Thursday walk since i's a 2 mile. I forgot the green walk has those grapevine steps - took me several times to figure them out. :) I did both miles. I don't think we ever get to walking that fast at church. I'm so thankful you gave me the push to get back to doing it.
  • sannferris
    Looks like we all took Sunday off.

I put in Monday's tape, but only did about 1/2 of the 3 miles, resting when they got into really fast mode.
  • arobed53
    I pretty much always take Sunday off. Today I walked 30 minutes with my friends and then when I had Ava at speech I walked for 10 minutes around the conference room. Not sure what will happen tomorrow cause I'll go with hubby to an appointment in the morning and have Good News Club in the aftenoon. Great for doing 1/2 of the 3.
  • arobed53
    This cold is hanging around - makes me feel like not pushing so hard so just planning to do three 10 minutes segments - 1st 10 minutes walking around the house done.