Exercising

Replies

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Walked this morning - foot is not hurting as much. Just did 3 pushups (from knees). Will keep trying for more. Great job on the lawn Sheryl. That's a lot of grass.
  • arobed53
    Still walking with friend when we can and with Leslie other days. Step total is down with my heel but still trudging along.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Good for your Aero! I did water aerobics for the first time in 2 weeks (no bouncing just tried to follow without hurting my hip) and cut the front lawn today. We will see how my hip feels tomorrow!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    I hope that heel of yours heals soon Debora! It's funny. I think it was yesterday that I asked you in my Fitbit comment to send me some of your rain, and it was raining when I got up this morning! Ha! I only go a little over 6000 steps in yesterday, but I guess thats better than nothing. I took a walk at lunch today, so my step count should be a little higher today.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Mowed more lawn again yesterday, some of the area around the apple trees that I did before and then a new area that took longer and more energy because the grass was so high. The next area to do is where my new garden will be, if it ever gets planted. That grass is knee high now and will burn a lot of calories.
  • mygnsac
    edited May 2015
    Just got back from my walk during my lunch break. The going was great. Full of energy and almost skipping down the streets (note "almost"...my skipping days ran away from me decades ago!). I went further than normal today (discovered a cool looking art museum I never knew about. Will have to check them out one of these days.) and about a quarter way back to the office the pep was definitely depleted! Ha! On my way back, I walked through the courtyard of a luxury apartment complex (they have their courtyard open to the public) and sat down for a few minutes on one of the fancy-dancy benches. Got 5000 more steps in though. Yay! If I'm feeling up to it tonight, I may take a walk around the neighborhood after sunset. I want to try and beat my 12,000 step day.

Jannie, I hope your hip is feeling better!!!

Sheryl, you are so lucky that you enjoy working in the yards. Great way to get in some exercise. Will you be planting anything this season?

Debora, I'll have to look into the Walking With Leslie thing. Be nice to have around the house as a back up.

The new walking shoes I just bought a couple days ago are just not getting it. Today I went back to using my old New Balance shoes (men's size 10.5 wide). I looked online and of course that model isn't being sold anymore. I guess I'll stop by a couple more shoe stores this weekend and look around. My New Balance shoes are still pretty good, but they are getting old and need to be replaced.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    I did water aerobics again and without the bouncy/jumping, my hip is better! Yeah me--it was getting so painful that I really thought I'd have to have it replaced soon. I would like to hold off to my mid 50's so I get the best use of the new hip. I've had arthritis since I was 9 and this is the hip it started in so I'm sure it's worn out.

Marcie--did you try 'Joe's New Balance Outlet'? They have a pretty big selection of shoes and are usually cheaper than other places. It's a website only, no brick/mortar store to go to. I have to wear New Balance as I have a 3or 4 E width. I used to be a D but the walking on concrete floors at the hospital have done me in. I also have very flat feet so that is a challenge too.
  • mygnsac
    edited May 2015
    jlhawki wrote: »
    I did water aerobics again and without the bouncy/jumping, my hip is better! Yeah me--it was getting so painful that I really thought I'd have to have it replaced soon. I would like to hold off to my mid 50's so I get the best use of the new hip. I've had arthritis since I was 9 and this is the hip it started in so I'm sure it's worn out.

Marcie--did you try 'Joe's New Balance Outlet'? They have a pretty big selection of shoes and are usually cheaper than other places. It's a website only, no brick/mortar store to go to. I have to wear New Balance as I have a 3or 4 E width. I used to be a D but the walking on concrete floors at the hospital have done me in. I also have very flat feet so that is a challenge too.

Dad was telling me about Joe's New Balance (he orders his shoes (same model every time) from them). I checked it out last night. They had the model I want, but they are out of stock. I told dad i just cant find that model anywhere, and he said he'll bet he can find it! We'll see. I have to where 4E too. Arthritis since you were 9?! Wow! I'm glad the water aerobics is helping.
  • mygnsac
    edited May 2015
    Whew! Made it to 16,072 steps today (5.07 miles). Dad and I went out for dinner and I made him park way out so I could get more steps in (luckily he loves to walk). Then after the sun went down I walked around the neighborhood for about an hour. Then I grabbed the dog and we walked around the neighborhood for awhile (much slower as he feels it's his duty to pee on everything!).

Dad searched the web and, like I had told him, the model shoe I like is no more, but he did find something very similar on Joe's New Balance Outlet. I placed the order. Hopefully they work out.

• sannferris
    edited May 2015
    Hi, didn't get any yard work done yesterday, but got walking in by doing errands. We had a gorgeous day and it got up to 80 degrees, so actually, it may have been too hot for me to work in the yard yesterday. Boy, does that sound whussy! I used to work all day no matter what the temp, even into the 90's, when it hit triple digits, I'd take the day off. But, hot weather usually didn't stop me, I feel very old these days.

I also am looking for a good pair of shoes, like some of you, I usually buy men's shoes because they are wider. I have been told about a place called "When the Shoe Fits" and finally found it here locally and plan to go there soon. I'll let you know what I find.

Today will be mowing again.

Marcie, I think you'll like Walking with Leslie...it's so much more than just walking. The first time I tried it with Granny (she brought the video with her when she came to visit) I about died and I had thought I was in great shape back then. It's quite a workout.
  • arobed53
    Walked with Leslie this afternoon.

Marcie, I wonder if my foot will ever not hurt some but it's improved. If I ever get up in the morning and have no pain, you might be able to hear the cheers. Yep, any steps are better than no steps. I think you're doing very well.

Sheryl, mowing lawn is hard work. Hopefully, once you get through it all, you can back to it before it gets so tall again. I guess it depends on the rain.

Marcie, I love the description of you walk on Friday. Always more energy at the beginning - ha. In today's age, I'm surprised the apartment courtyard is open to the public but nice for you. Hope the shoes you find work. Makes me think we need to buy several pair since styles are always changing.
    If you look up Leslie Sansone, you'll find she has lots of DVDs. The one Granny, Sheryl and I all have is Just Walk - Ultimate - 5 Day walk plan. I like it cause there are walks of different lengths and you can even set up you own walk.
    16,000 steps. You are stiff competition.

Jannie, so glad to hear your hip is better. Water aerobics should be a good way for you to exercise.

Sheryl, walking while shopping can sure add up.

Looks like we're keeping on the move. Keep on keeping on.
  • mygnsac
    Debora, I looked up Walking With Leslie on YouTube and found videos like this one there. I'm bookmarking it to use later

• sannferris
    Yup, that's Leslie, even John recognizes her voice.

Got in a little yard work, less than an hour, actually got too hot for me yesterday.

I did get all the dishes done and the kitchen cleaned, that' a big one!!
  • arobed53
    Not doing anything strenuous today - just moving a little most every half hour since family left.

Yep, you found Leslie. I like the DVD because I can do it in the basement but I'll keep this in mind when I think I want a change up. I've been thinking of getting another one but could do this upstairs - probably just have to walk in place rather than do some of the moves. Thanks. I enjoy working with her.

• sannferris
    Mowed more lawn yesterday afternoon. I usually don't like to work on Sunday, but Saturday was too hot for me and yesterday was overcast, making it the perfect temperature. And, rain is in the forecast, so I wanted to get that tall grass down before it gets too wet again.

Here are before and after photos.

ul3xbqw8husq.jpg

0i6gic1p4jfi.jpg

John got help from a few chickens while he knocked down some blackberry vines growing in the fence line. I couldn't run the mower through there because of the big hole from when we had that tree removed. This area will be my future garden, plenty of sun and easy to fence off to keep the animals out. The big pile under the tarp is barkdust. I'll spread that under the front trees to keep the weeds down.
  • sannferris
    That's our neighbor's house that you see, our house is behind me on the other side of the driveway. The properties are long and narrow, so our neighbors are much closer than I would like, but out back, in the pasture, it's more like country living.
  • mygnsac
    arobed53 wrote: »
    Not doing anything strenuous today - just moving a little most every half hour since family left.

Yep, you found Leslie. I like the DVD because I can do it in the basement but I'll keep this in mind when I think I want a change up. I've been thinking of getting another one but could do this upstairs - probably just have to walk in place rather than do some of the moves. Thanks. I enjoy working with her.

I have a chromecast device in my TV so I can just send the Youtube video from the computer to any of the TVs in the house.

• mygnsac
    edited May 2015
    Hi everyone.

I hope you had a nice weekend. I ran a lot of errands and did a lot of shopping, so my wallet is happy I'm back to work! Yesterday I went clothes shopping, needed some more work, exercise, and "around the house" pants, ran to the grocery store to get some turkey for the week, and then to the pet store to get Simon some more cat food. I sure wished they would sell his food in the grocery stores! Saturday was shoe, grocery shopping, got gas, and got my car washed.

I made no pot of something this week. Just boiled some eggs, steamed some whole green beans, and roasted some potatoes. I think Dad and I need a break from the pot of something this week! We have lots of canned beans in the pantry if he wants beans this week. He needs to get those eaten anyways. I always make beans, so the canned ones aren't getting eaten. Maybe I'll blend some up this week and make a bean hummus. That's always good.

While I was out and about yesterday, I noticed the Hallmark store that has been by my grocery store forever, is closing. Seems like every time I blink my eyes, a store around here is shutting down. Recently Radio Shack, and now Hallmark. The lady at Hallmark said they are closing because the people who own that franchise are retiring. Everything in the store is 40% off, so I bought dad a couple t-shirts and stocked up on some greeting cards.

I was going to go to the bank to deposit that check for the Fitbit that Debora sent me, and then my Dad asked why I don't just use the Credit Union app on my smarthphone to deposit it. Takes me awhile to catch up to these new fangled things! Really cool. Just had to take a pic of the front and backside of the check and it was deposited. Too easy.

It took Cisco the other night a couple minutes to figure out where his tuggy-rope was. Ha! He's so cute. Every night he either brings me his favorite ball or his tuggy-rope and lays it down at my feet. But, as soon as I bend over to pick it up, he dives for it. It's one of his favorite games. Make em bend over for nothing! Once I get the other end of his tuggy-rope, he latches on the other end and tugs until I cry uncle. The vet said tug ropes are great for them, but we should never tug on our end. Just let the dog do the tugging. Works for me.

It was nice seeing you all over on OKP. I hope you make it over there as you can. I posted a few recipes today, and answered the Weekly Food Challenge. So far, it's just Sheryl and me on that challenge. Last week it was just me. Hope more reply this week.

Sheryl, what a great area for a garden. I wished I had that kind of space in my backyard, but then again, my skin would yell at me working in the yard. Great pic of John and the chickens. We used to have blackberry vine along our fence in the backyard, but Dad pulled them out a couple years ago and they haven't returned. The bird and other critters usually got to the berries before us anyways. The hole where the tree was...was that the tree you showed a pic of that had been leaning and that you were trying to save, or another tree?

Debora, I hope to hear those cheers about your foot not hurting soon! I doubt I'll be that much competition on Fitbit. I had a big walking day on Friday, but then didn't go for any walks this weekend. I plan to take a nice long walk today at lunchtime, and maybe another one tonight after it gets dark. Trying for at least 10,000 steps today.

Well, I should close and get back to work now. You all have a wonderful week!
  • mygnsac
    Eeesh. I meant to post the above comment in the Pot Bellied post. And yet another senior moment. :(
  • sannferris
    We NEED to embrace our senior moments...or we'll go CRAZY!