Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I wonder if a bunch of people from in here answering this "informal poll" in the cesspool would make any difference in the attitudes out there?

No, but I did it anyway. I think everyone responding restricted carbohydrates, LOL.

It makes me laugh when they say "I eat at a deficit" when they don't know that. They eat less, for sure, and the lose weight, but saying it's at a deficit is just retrofitting a hypothesis to the data. The same people would expect too large a deficit to stop weight loss, go figure.
    Ah, yes, it's CICO, except when it isn't. That one is baffling too.

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

DittoDan wrote: »
    I was accused of demonizing carbs.... What ever that means.

Demonizing...really??? Sheesh.

Fat has been demonized for over 30+ years and their complaining about demonizing Carbs? The truth is that, for a lot of people, Carbs should be demonized. The whole obesity-metabolic syndrome-insulin resisitant-diabetic epidemic today is caused by carbs. The solution, for some people, it to lay off the carbs and start eating much more fat.

Dan the Man from Michigan

Yes the solution for some people is to eat more fat and less carbs, but we don't have adequate data to claim that carbs are responsible for obesity. We have population data from people who eat a predominantly carbohydrate rich diet who do not suffer from the issues you list at the same level as the US. That alone should indicate that the problem is not carbohydrates.

I am going to have to agree with SideSteel on this one. LCHF works for ME. For medical and physiological reasons. It doesn't mean that I think carbs are the devil for everyone, I really don't know of anyone without some sort of underlying medical issue who got fat eating fruits and veggies. Processed foods on the other hand, and by that I high fructose corn syrup laden crap in a box and the like...well, that is a whole other story. Even then, if done in moderation and you have NO UNDERLYING MEDICAL ISSUE, those things won't hurt you. I do not always agree with CICO, as there are so many variables involved in weight loss and the CICO model wants us all in a little box all labeled nice and neat, preferably with nutritional info on the side. I also don't agree with attacking anyone for any way of eating that is healthy and sustainable for them, regardless of what they call it.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    We are all human. We do not all have the same chemical soup, inherited genes, familial and cultural history regarding food preferences, and medical conditions (physical and mental) to deal with. If it works for you fine. That doesn't mean you are an expert in all ways to tell someone else how to treat their problems. Sharing is nice, bullying is bad. :s
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Figured I'd add this here in anyone didn't see it. It actually went surprisingly well, until the dudebros showed up to hijack it at the end: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108477/why-dont-the-low-carb-folks-believe-in-cico/p1
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The expression "shirtless mafia" makes me chuckle. Aside from shirtless selfies, what are the trademarks of the shirtless mafia?
  • JPW1990
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    The expression "shirtless mafia" makes me chuckle. Aside from shirtless selfies, what are the trademarks of the shirtless mafia?

Answering questions about sugar, low carb, cardio, cravings, etc, to tell people they're doing it wrong, without offering any actual advice aside from eat whatever you want as long as you have a deficit. They mysteriously don't show up if someone lists a medical condition in the title or OP, it's like magic. Apparently, it's ok for someone with a medical condition to "do it wrong" even if it might actually hurt them, but if it's someone just trying it with no worse side effects than not losing for a few weeks, they must be "educated" for the greater good.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Answering questions about sugar, low carb, cardio, cravings, etc, to tell people they're doing it wrong, without offering any actual advice aside from eat whatever you want as long as you have a deficit. They mysteriously don't show up if someone lists a medical condition in the title or OP, it's like magic. Apparently, it's ok for someone with a medical condition to "do it wrong" even if it might actually hurt them, but if it's someone just trying it with no worse side effects than not losing for a few weeks, they must be "educated" for the greater good.

Yes, I don't really understand why it's ok to do low carb if you have a medical condition (and you are required to announce to everyone in the main forum exactly what that is) but there's "no need" to do low carb otherwise. Last I checked carbohydrate are not an essential macronutrient. So really, there is "no need" for anyone to be eating carbs at all!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've noticed an increase in shirts on their profile photos. I'm guessing they figure they resemble the nickname. :D
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There was another active thread last night - someone asked about a low carb breakfast without eggs. So me and another person replied with several suggestions. Someone else posted a pic of a bacon sandwich, so I said that would be ok without the bread. Somehow I was magically supposed to know the OP may or may not have "unhealthy" eating habits and I shouldn't be telling her how to eat low carb as she needs more calories. IIRC, my post that stated low carb does not equal low calorie. The thread kind of went off the rails and now appears to be pulled completely...all because someone asked about a low carb breakfast without eggs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Low carb is definitely not low calorie, as anyone can easily tell from my food log (when I bother to log at all). I easily average 2,600 calories a day. No anorexia here.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »
    We are all human. We do not all have the same chemical soup, inherited genes, familial and cultural history regarding food preferences, and medical conditions (physical and mental) to deal with. If it works for you fine. That doesn't mean you are an expert in all ways to tell someone else how to treat their problems. Sharing is nice, bullying is bad. :s

This. So much this. Live and let live. The world is full of people attacking others for being different in some way. Do what works for you and let other people do what works for them.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Yes the solution for some people is to eat more fat and less carbs, [...] the problem is not carbohydrates.

If for some people the solution is to eat less carbs, it is also evident that at least for them the problem is indeed their previous carbs intake (elementary, my dear watson)

I was specifically addressing the claim about the obesity epidemic and insulin resistance/diabetes being caused by carbohydrate.

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Figured I'd add this here in anyone didn't see it. It actually went surprisingly well, until the dudebros showed up to hijack it at the end: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108477/why-dont-the-low-carb-folks-believe-in-cico/p1

The OP question is asking why don't low carb folks believe in CICO, or why do they say that CICO does not apply when going low carb.

What is a good answer to that? Or is the question itself flawed or loaded in some way?

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    For me CICO which includes over 20 carbs a day leaves me starving at the lower level of CI of 1000 to 1300 a day to lose weight. I can not sustain the continual feeling of hunger.

On Low carb, 20 carbs or under, high fat or higher fat and not worrying too much about calories in I can easily eat about 1300 calories a day or less and never feel hunger or have a feeling of being deprived in any way. I usually end up not eating the full 1300 calories because I am never starving. This way of eating is sustainable for me even if my weight loss is not really fast. I have health issues and I am in the older age group and age does make a difference in the rate of weight loss.

On CICO I gain weight at 1000 to 1300 calories a day. The carbs make me hungry. Apparently my body does not process them well.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

The OP question is asking why don't low carb folks believe in CICO, or why do they say that CICO does not apply when going low carb.

What is a good answer to that? Or is the question itself flawed or loaded in some way?

We don't believe that Calories Out is independent from Calories In, nor do we believe that Calories Out is an easily known or predictable value. It's not that we don't believe you are burning more calories than you're eating, if you're losing weight. Likewise, if you're not losing weight, we [generally] believe that you're eating as much as you're burning (or more than you're burning).

Basically, what your body does with the food you eat is determined by more than a simple prediction based on population statistics and just total calories in. If you reduce your calories below a point where your body can compensate, you'll lose weight regardless of the quality of the calories. No one is denying that. We just don't think that's the best way. You may be able to eat more food and lose the same amount of weight. Or, you may be able to eat a different combination of foods (with the same calories) that makes losing weight easier and makes you feel better at the same time.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat, have you ever taken your temperature on your current diet?

I ask because calorie restriction has been shown to lower body temperature. Likewise, high-protein diets have been shown to raise it (but I don't know for how long).

Just one way your metabolism might adjust to input. The other way would be to lose or gain muscle mass. FIT_Goat should be able to leap tall buildings pretty soon. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I'm never really sick, so I don't ever think to take my temp. I just took it now, 98.6 deg_F. That's "normal." But, it's possible my temperature runs higher after meals. It's been a few hours since I have eaten. I'll test out my ability to jump buildings tomorrow, when it's light out. ;)
  • JPW1990
    Options

The OP of it intended it to be a loaded question, and thought he was going to get a flood of people telling him he was stupid and mean. Instead he got 12 pages of people explaining that what he thinks people mean when they say CICO didn't work for them isn't actually what they're saying. Then the rest of the dudebros showed up to troll.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    FIT_Goat, have you ever taken your temperature on your current diet?

I ask because calorie restriction has been shown to lower body temperature. Likewise, high-protein diets have been shown to raise it (but I don't know for how long).

Just one way your metabolism might adjust to input. The other way would be to lose or gain muscle mass. FIT_Goat should be able to leap tall buildings pretty soon. :)

I have been a calorie restrictor, sometimes to the extreme, for a very very...sigh...very, long time. My body temp runs anywhere from 95.9 to 97.6. If it goes higher than that, it means I am probably sick. Hoping that this woe can help me undo some of the damage I have done to myself.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    I hope so too, UndrCnstruction. There's hope that it does. Back when I was at the tail end of losing weight by restriction alone, I was gaining weight at 1800 calories a day. Now, I am slowly losing at 2,500 despite being older and smaller. Of course, I did it for a shorter period of time than you likely did. It may take longer to heal for you.