Daily check in

Options

Replies

• venuila
    venuila Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lower fix extreme and 10 min hardcore done. Still bummed about the scale not moving. I look sooooo different though. People say I don't need to lose anymore weight but (according to my numbers) I am still technically overweight, and my goal is to lose 20-30 more lbs. so it's a tad disappointing it hasn't moved in about 10 days now. Hoping to get some bike action or do an insanity workout tonight but I am tired, kids are sick and baby was NOT happy this morning at 5am. So debating on going to bed super early instead. We'll see!
  • TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @jpkrueger Thank you so much for the kind words and helpful hints! I have a bag of Shakeology my cousin gave me that I'm using as my breakfast. Once the bag is gone I'm going to try Raw Meal as my breakfast, I guess that's another question I have, does anyone know what Raw Meal would fall under? I'm assuming its going to fall under Red but I'm wondering if it satisfies any other container requirements. Thanks again and happy Thursday all!
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would count the Raw Meal as a red alone. There aren't enough calories or other nutrients to have it fall into another category as well. But as long as it still tastes good, perhaps you can blend some other containers in there - some spinach or kale to satisfy a green, or some fruit to fill a purple.
  • RandomA1
    RandomA1 Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just started yesterday and am already making rookie mistakes lol. Oops! I didn't consult the eating plan and just assumed that regular peas would be categorized as a "green" but it's actually a "yellow". The portion seemed huge but I just went with it until I Googled it a few minutes. The portion I ate yesterday and today is 2.5 times what it should have been lol (at least I can fix today though since I haven't eaten any other carbs). Lesson learned - I'll consult the eating plan from now on.

I think I'm just going to focus on the meal plan and either not do any exercise at all or just do my own thing at the gym. Yesterday I tried doing the 1st dvd (total body workout) but because of my bad knee, I was having to modify a lot of the already modified moves. Maybe I'll skim through the other workout and see if any of them aren't as knee-centric. I already recalculated my caloric range to take out the "fix burn" number so I'm down a level but I'll recalculate again if I end up working out regularly.
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    @RandomA1 don't be hard on yourself, it is a lot to learn in the beginning! Your "rookie" mistake is just that, a rookie mistake. But you learned about what you ate, and you learned to always consult your guide, and you won't make that mistake again. You'll probably make others, but that's ok too - it's a journey, not a race.

I would say the first workout is probably the roughest on the knees...maybe that one and Cardio Fix. Though Autumn does seem to like lunges in all her workouts. Maybe @SatiaRenee can talk about that a bit because I believe she has mentioned knee problems.

When I started, I focused on the meal plan first and then I added in the workouts in my second week. It was just a little too overwhelming to do it all at once. Now it's second nature to me and it all makes sense.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    @TheFo1dOut I agree with everything @jpkrueger said. I'd add only that it sounds to me like you would do really well if you were to plan out your meals ahead. You may still skip a container here and there but you're less likely to do so if you have your day's meals and snacks planned out. Even if all you do is plan out how many containers of each type you'll use for each meal and/or snack, you'll be better able to keep on track. Also, have you tried putting raw spinach in your Shakeo? Jam the green container with the leaves then toss it all in a blender with some strawberries and/or a banana. My daughter-in-law hates spinach and she tasted and loved the shake I made for her. There are sneaky ways to get those greens in.

Late Start

Technically, I had a super early start. Both Holly and Snowdoll have diarrhea and Holly had me taking her outside very 15-30 minutes. I was utterly exhausted by the time the sun started rising and still managed to push play but then I had breakfast and took a nap. Not sure that I'm really awake even now. LOL!

Morning Workout

21DFX: W2/D4: Lower Body Fix Extreme & 10 Min Hardcore
    Have I mentioned that I am feeling my biceps again? When I first started 21DF, I felt them a little but not very much. Then again, when I added in PiYo, I sorta felt my biceps. But this week I was really feeling them after doing UBFX and Slim in 6. Whew! Nice to feel them. Feeling my legs, too, of course. Ankle is hurting a bit after walking around the neighborhood on Saturday. I really need some new sneakers. I just hate hate hate shopping.

Got through 10MH fine although those side plank dips are killing me. I can only imagine how much easier 21DF is going to feel after a few rounds of 21DFX. Not that I will be taking 21DFX with me on my trip but if I were . . .

Slim in 6: W3/D4: Thin Thighs Guaranteed, Slim & 6-Pack, Slim & Limber

Yep. It's leg day and ab day here in my world. Feeling fine though. Not like I'm doing too much so that's something. I just wish I had been able to get to my goal weight for the end of this month. I won't because there's not enough time between now and the end of the month but I closer than I was at the start of the month. So that's something too!
  • germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Pilates Fix done...proud of myself for comming home at 8 pm ( leaving the house at 6am) and still pressing play. I know 6 weeks ago that would have been the last thing on my mind.
  • Northern37
    Northern37 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Cardio fix is done. I am exercising but my eating has been out of control the past couple of days. I really need to meal plan again to get me back on track. Don't want to gain back what I lost. Have a fantastic Friday everyone!!!
  • RandomA1
    RandomA1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jpkrueger wrote: »
    @RandomA1 don't be hard on yourself, it is a lot to learn in the beginning! Your "rookie" mistake is just that, a rookie mistake. But you learned about what you ate, and you learned to always consult your guide, and you won't make that mistake again. You'll probably make others, but that's ok too - it's a journey, not a race.

I would say the first workout is probably the roughest on the knees...maybe that one and Cardio Fix. Though Autumn does seem to like lunges in all her workouts. Maybe @SatiaRenee can talk about that a bit because I believe she has mentioned knee problems.

When I started, I focused on the meal plan first and then I added in the workouts in my second week. It was just a little too overwhelming to do it all at once. Now it's second nature to me and it all makes sense.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you very much, jpkrueger!
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @RandomA1 I did the same thing even though, because my husband is diabetic, I know that peas are high in sugar. But then sugar snap peas are a green and pumpkin is but also isn't. Cubed pumpkin is a green but pumpkin puree is a yellow. And it makes sense. Cubed pumpkin is not going to be as many ounces as puree. And guess what? That's not even in the book! I heard Autumn talk about it in one of her videos on youtube.

Did someone say, "Delicate knees"?

I learned something invaluable from Chalene Johnson in PiYo. If you have knee problems you know you can't go too deep in a lunge so the natural instinct is to not go as long into the lunge, narrowing your step rather than really stepping forward or back.

No no no no no! Step forward and back as far as you can go and then drop into a shallow lunge. The challenge to the knee is on how DEEP you go not how far apart your feet go. Also, back lunges are easier on the knees so don't be afraid to do back lunges. Believe it or not, you will get stronger and be able to do forward lunges with confidence. Also, drop the weights. Even if Autumn says grab the light ones, don't do it unless you truly feel strong enough to do so.

Last but not least, and I'm still investigating this one but, there seems to be a new school of thought on squats. I've always heard that if you have bad knees you never ever go into a deep squat so stop at 90 degrees or higher. That's probably what you've heard too. But I recently came upon an article that cited some research that says stopping near 90 is harder on the knees than going lower, say to 75 degrees. There seems to be a sort of sweet spot of 115 or above (high squat) or 75 or below (deep squat) that is better for the knees than say hitting 90 degrees each and every time.

My first reaction was to call BS and forget it but the more I thought about it the more I find myself wondering. It does seem that at 90 degrees there's a lot of pressure on the knees and yes, going past that point is hard but it does change the type and amount of pressure on the knees. Have I begun doing deeper squats myself. No. As I said, I'm still looking into this. However, if it stands up to more investigation, I may give it a try. Without weights, of course, and probably with a chair nearby because of my balance but still . . .

I'll keep you all updated.

Puppies Are Well

The dogs are fine. Nobody woke me up last night and they both ate. This morning, while I was making my coffee, Holly came into the kitchen to investigate so she must be feeling better. Yesterday, we cooked dinner and she didn't even come into the kitchen. This is not typical of our little vulture puppy.

Morning Workout

21 Day Fix: W2/D5: Cardio Fix Extreme
    I have such a hard time coordinating the burpee shuffle. That's not surprising. It's easy to follow along with things when you don't have to modify beyond the modifier but when you have to figure out how to change things to protect your knees or whatever, it takes a few rounds to really get the right rhythm. I don't think I'll get it right before the end of my first 21 days but that's okay. I kept moving and that's all that matters, right?

Slim in 6: W3/D5: Ramp It Up
    Skipped out on a few reps with the leg lifts on all fours and some of the push-ups but I think I will be able to do the entire workout from beginning to end by the end of the six weeks. I'll be bringing my set with me on my trip home, along with some resistance cords. I'm going to ask my mother to give me one of her yoga mats for the first couple of days of the visit but I plan to buy a new one (if there's enough room in my bag) while I'm up north, probably when we are at Omega Institute where I'll be doing yoga (I hope) or hiking (at least that's my plan) in lieu of my workout programs.

Can you tell, I plan ahead?
    • I leave on July 1, a Wednesday.
    • Thursday and Friday, I can do Slim in 6 in the guest room. (I'm hoping I haven't overestimated how much floor space I have.)
    • Friday we leave for Omega.
    • Saturday and Sunday, I'll replace my Slim in 6 with yoga, hiking, etc. at Omega.
    • Monday through Sunday (July 6-12), I'll do Slim in 6.
    If I've underestimated the floorspace in the room, then I may have to make some of the movements smaller but my goal is to finish out 21 Day Fix Extreme before I leave and finish up Slim in 6 while on vacation. The Saturday and Sunday I won't be doing Slim in 6 are the days I would be doing Thin Thighs Guaranteed (I think hiking is a good substitute, don't you?) and Slim & 6-Pack and Slim & Limber (the morning yoga will replace the latter). I may sneak in an ab workout over the weekend but certainly won't force myself to do one while at Omega. It is my vacation after all. LOL!

• venuila
    Options
    Cardio fix extreme done. That was fun! Haha.
    Pissed the scale still hasn't moved. Like WTH!? Even after doing insanity for a bit and extra cardio on the bike at night I expected to move a bit.....not nothing!!!! Not like I'm eating terribly either. I always stick to my 1200-1380 calories and even trying to focus more on my macros. Sigh. Totally bummed.
  • germany03
    Options
    Sorry to hear your frustrated @venuila but stick to your guns. You know it's only going to be a temporary plateau and then it will start moving again..I know you can overcome this !
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @venuila Have you read the food plan that comes with the program? I ask because Autumn specifically says that if you do more than 21 Day Fix (and I believe the book actually lists Insanity as one of the other programs) then you should consider going up a food bracket. If you aren't providing your body enough fuel to build muscle, you won't lose as much fat.

Also, have you checked your measurements? Are you losing inches?
    What about your weights? Have you increased your weights? Are you using heavier weights?
    How are your clothes fitting? Are they the same? Looser? Tighter?
    Have you looked at your before pics? Have you taken any recent after pics? How do they compare?

When I hit my plateau, I was gaining inches and weight. My clothes were getting tighter, not looser. Yes, I was using heavier weights but I could feel that I was not progressing in the right direction. In other words, the scale was NOT my only means of gauging my progress! A stalled number on the scale is nothing. No gain is better than a gain. And any loss, even a small one, is progress. Weight loss is not a linear journey. Nor can progress be measured using only one tool.

Holly had me up all night, again.

We had Holly's diarrhea under control but it came back and she had me taking her out every 15-30 minutes until 1:30ish. Then I got an hours sleep. A whole straight hour. Woohoo! Rob took over for me at 3am, when he got home from a gig. And I took over again at 5am. Still got my workout in. Yay?

Morning Workout

21DFX: W2/D6: Cardio Fix Extreme
    After last week's experience, I decided to drop back to my lower weights (3/5#) and it was a good decision. Those moon curtsey lunges had my shoulders screaming. Still can't do the Renegade Rows with the push-ups.

Slim in 6: W3/D6
    Thin Thighs Guaranteed
    A little over one week from today we'll see if I'm actually losing inches in my thighs which is where I've been gaining since May. It says "Guaranteed" and I'm obviously counting on that!

Slim & 6-Pack
    Couldn't get myself situated for the second side plank series. I just kept losing my balance. (Can you say "not enough sleep"?)

Slim & Limber
    Ahhhhh . . . stretches. And tomorrow is Yoga Fix Extreme. More stretches!

And as if that were not enough . . .

My walking buddy and I went to a water exercise class so I added another 45 of exercise. (It was supposed to be an hour long but the instructor apparently skipped a few things.) Regardless, given how much I'd already done and my lack of a good night's sleep, I think I did great today. I just hope that all this effort is enough to wow my family when I see them in July.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Holly Sick With Diarrhea Still

When we first rescued Holly it took forever to find the right food for her, something that wouldn't give her diarrhea. I am pretty sure that we are okay and that her food is not the cause but something definitely has her digestion messed up and, as a result, my sleep is a mess as well.

Weekly Weigh-In

No loss. No gain. I am disappointed but not enough that I will not have my treat meal tomorrow. It's just I am soooo close to having my BMI change from overweight to normal that I am itching to cross this milestone. Ugh. Maybe next week . . .

Morning Workout

21DFX: W2/D7: Yoga Fix Extreme
    I love yoga. I do not love this workout.

But I did it.

• germany03
    Options
    It's the weekend...I always had trouble with weekends...and bang....yet another fall of the wagon....took Jr. And his friends to a pizza buffet place for his birthday....bad choice for my new way of eating.....but it was so sooo yummy. Atleast I regret something that was yummy. Plus I did get one bowl of salad in and some veggie pizza :) my little ray of sunshine ...haha.

I was sick Friday so I couldn't press play. Ive decided not to skip fridays workout and keep going with the regular excersise schedule on saturday hoping I could double up ..no luck...after Cardio Fix I started to feel queezy again. Hopefully today I will be able to double up so I can consider myself back on track.
  • venuila
    Options
    Thanks @germany03 hoping to see some movement this week. Not giving up and trying to stay positive. :)

@SatiaRenee yeah, I have read the food plan and actually have bumped up my calorie intake from 1200-1380. I have taken pics more regularly and can definitely see a difference and have lost inches...it's just the number on the scale that hasn't budged that is bugging me. I know some people say it's just a number and to throw out the scale but , like you j am also itching to have my bmi move from overweight to normal. :) going to try and use my frustration as motivation to work harder though.

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    @venuila try not to let BMI get you down. For certain populations, it is not accurate. My trainer is a perfect example. At 6' tall and 217 lbs, his BMI is 29.5 (overweight )...but he has under 10% body fat. At his "ideal" bodyweight of 185 lbs, he looks painfully thin.

I'm 5'2" and about 190lbs. I'm obese...wearing a size 10. Most people think I weigh about 150-160...
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Not happy with myself today :( But its a new day and a new round. I won't be posting ANY results from my round of extreme, I had too many off weekends, and it just hit me. The scale is up - and we also got a NEW aria scale, which has my weight higher too. So today is a new day, and day 1 of my next round. I have three weeks until vacation so I am going to push HARD.
  • TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oy vey! Went on a mini vacation with my fiance's family this weekend so sticking to the meal plan was hard if not impossible and forget working out. However, with a air temp of 95 and a heat index of 115 I sweated like crazy and got over 10 miles of walking in on Saturday and Sunday so I don't think I did too bad. I am so exhausted today, didn't get in until after 11 last night so I didn't make myself get up to workout. I plan on getting back on track tomorrow morning, I think I really need to listen to my body today and relax and recoup tonight.
  • cupcake570
    cupcake570 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's been forever since I checked in here! Been so busy. I'm supposed to be on my last week of round 3 but I've been a slacker on exercise and now I'm sick for the 2nd time in a month. Viral laryngitis this time. I. Going to follow the food plan and do some light exercise this week and start round 3 over next week.

@dkwi04 I have the aria scale too. Mine was also higher than my old scale but I love that it automatically syncs to my fitbit and MFP.