Average weight loss on KETO??

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Small Sustained Changes in Energy Intake or Expenditure
    Myth number 1: Small sustained changes in energy intake or expenditure will produce large, long-term weight changes.
    Predictions suggesting that large changes in weight will accumulate indefinitely in response to small sustained lifestyle modifications rely on the half-century-old 3500-kcal rule, which equates a weight alteration of 1 lb (0.45 kg) to a 3500-kcal cumulative deficit or increment.5,6 However, applying the 3500-kcal rule to cases in which small modifications are made for long periods violates the assumptions of the original model, which were derived from short-term experiments predominantly performed in men on very-low-energy diets (<800 kcal per day).5,7 Recent studies have shown that individual variability affects changes in body composition in response to changes in energy intake and expenditure,7 with analyses predicting substantially smaller changes in weight (often by an order of magnitude across extended periods) than the 3500-kcal rule does.5,7 For example, whereas the 3500-kcal rule predicts that a person who increases daily energy expenditure by 100 kcal by walking 1 mile (1.6 km) per day will lose more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) over a period of 5 years, the true weight loss is only about 10 lb (4.5 kg),6 assuming no compensatory increase in caloric intake, because changes in mass concomitantly alter the energy requirements of the body.

Read and grasp the entire context of that Artical.

1. They are telling you where the 3500 cal rule came from or at least how it was figured out initially.
    2. What they are predicting is that if you start off by burning 100 calories a day that in 5 years time that same 100 calories expended will be less do to changes in your body mass. What it is saying is that your TDEE changes as your body mass changes.
  • Camo_xxx
    edited April 2015
    It is not saying that 3500 calories do not equal 1 pound of fat. It is confirming that we need fewer calories as our body mass decreases.

• Camo_xxx
    Actually I am a proponent of Keto and love eating Keto. But I also understand what it is and why it works.
    I am fine with being labeled a CICO fascist if that makes you feel better. Spelling Nazi. LMAO
  • Camo_xxx
    So now that we have the silly name calling out of the way.

How about somebody else besides me answer the OP's question.

I will stick with my answer but am more then open to hearing other people's Answers.

How many pounds a week should the OP average if she eats 20g of carbs per day ?
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    I think the point is, there is no answer to that question.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,044 Member
    It will be totally different for everyone, despite the philosophy of CICO. I can't comment on anyone but myself though, so can't anticipate what you might expect to see in terms of your own weight loss.

I can truly see a huge difference in my own weight loss when eating LCHF. I've done the other way mentioned and it just didn't work for me. I never felt satisfied, I felt like I was deprived, and the low fat diet I was eating the last time was detrimental to my body and mind's ability to function optimally. This is not just about simple math, it is about nutrition the body needs and each body has different needs. It is about eating until you have had enough, but still being able to lose weight. It is not about simply eating less calories and not caring about the kinds of foods you eat and how they interact with each other and what your body needs, merely to take in less calories than you burn. I have found that if I eat exactly the same amount of calories and burn the same amount of energy through exercise, that I will lose more weight eating LCHF than eating a crappy SAD diet.

Here's what happened to me recently. I lost 13 pounds in March doing keto. I'm aiming for under 20 g carbs. I lost 7 pounds in the first week, then 0 pounds in the second week, then various amounts through the rest of the month, for a total of 13 pounds. I am sure that each individual may expect various results depending on many different variables.

If folks who like CICO find it works for them, that's wonderful. But they shouldn't put folks down who wish to eat LCHF. Of course there must be a deficit in order to lose weight, but it just is not as simple as CICO fans make it out to be.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

All of them!!

:neutral:

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

All of them!!

:neutral:

LOL! Good answer Kirkor!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Twibbly wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating? What's your deficit? Are you drinking enough water?

Im eating maybe 1300-1600 cal 20 deficit and water is a struggle.

@MariaMia816

Water will make or break you on Keto. Take half your weight in pounds (for me, 240) and drink that many ounces of water a day (120 ounces). That is your minimum. There are great water reminder/tracker apps for iPhone and Android (water my body).

I can speak to this aspect personally, as I've gained 7 pounds in a week from water retention alone because I have an unavoidable water restriction (due to a once a year weekend job), and I'm still struggling to get back to my water habits, though today has been noticeably improved!

Ok, Im going to start really trying hard to get all the water in....ALL 105 oz.....DANG!!! Thats a lot! lol

Add it in slowly. Add 4 oz every other day.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    How many calories are you eating? What's your deficit? Are you drinking enough water?

@MariaMia816

Water will make or break you on Keto. Take half your weight in pounds (for me, 240) and drink that many ounces of water a day (120 ounces). That is your minimum. There are great water reminder/tracker apps for iPhone and Android (water my body).

I can speak to this aspect personally, as I've gained 7 pounds in a week from water retention alone because I have an unavoidable water restriction (due to a once a year weekend job), and I'm still struggling to get back to my water habits, though today has been noticeably improved!

Ok, Im going to start really trying hard to get all the water in....ALL 105 oz.....DANG!!! Thats a lot! lol

Do you have a water bottle? I've found it's a lot easier to remember to drink water since I started keeping one with me at all times, instead of using smaller drinking cups. Mine holds 32oz and is insulated, so if I put ice in, it stays cold for hours. I only have to refill it a few times, instead of staring at an empty cup 10 times a day, not wanting to stop what I'm doing to go refill it.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    JPW1990 wrote: »

@MariaMia816

Do you have a water bottle? I've found it's a lot easier to remember to drink water since I started keeping one with me at all times, instead of using smaller drinking cups. Mine holds 32oz and is insulated, so if I put ice in, it stays cold for hours. I only have to refill it a few times, instead of staring at an empty cup 10 times a day, not wanting to stop what I'm doing to go refill it.

This is what we do. We all have metal water bottles, cause of the plastic/estrogen issue, and we refill these a few times a day. They are insulated so you can put as much or as little ice as you want and it stays cold. I take it with me everywhere and keep it with me when I am home. Daughter has mixins for her as she is trying to get used to plain water but it is a slow process. It really does help!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    And be willing to try different temperatures when you don't "feel" it... Sometimes I like room temp water, and sometimes I love it cold. Also, find a good reminder app. I like "Water My Body" for android, and I've heard good things about "Waterlogger" for iPhone....
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    25 pounds in than 3 months. The first 20 were in 2 months. Yes, it's slow but it's safe and not drastic. And OMG I can eat so much. The last monthI have gone more lowcarb...but I think I need to go back to full-on keto.
  • michie_b2015
    michie_b2015 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't really know the answer either. I know the deficit theory and it makes sense to me. HOWEVER, isn't that the same controversial subject that Dr. Atkins encountered? He said that one could eat as much as one wanted as long as the low carbs were followed. Science tried to explain away the successes of the weight loss that MANY people were achieving while defying the science of the deficit theory.

Personally, I believe when we reduce high GI carbohydrates, less insulin is released therefore less or no fat is stored. As well the consumption of protein releases a hormone that says burn fat, essentially ketosis. We also know that eating high fat is a more stable ketosis scenario than protein as excess protein is converting back to glucose. I think if you are not loosing weight and your protein is more than necessary for your physical constitution/composition it could be slipping in unexpected glucose.....

I would love to learn about those who have lost weight on a high fat diet and no calorie restriction or if there is one, what was it for them?
  • jelaine98
    jelaine98 Posts: 1 Member

1503 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (5%, 80 kcal)
    103 g Protein (27%, 412 kcal)
    112 g Fat (68%, 1011 kcal)

You're eating too much protein. That's why your weight loss is slow. Your protein shouldn't almost match your fat grams.