ok bike question

Options
i have a 5 gear bike and i need to get to work but i want to know what is the easiest gear for me to ride my bike on and also how do you make your crotch stop hurting on a bike

Replies

• love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If your bike is only a 5 speed, then it must be pretty old. I would get a newer bike, you don't have to spend a lot. What speed you will use depends on if you are going uphill or downhill. Uphill, lower speed, downhill, higher speed. As far as the crotch issue, bike shorts are a good investment, and making sure your seat is adjusted properly. :smile: Hope this is helpful to you!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your budget is or anything, but you could look at getting an entry level bike for around $500. This is true especially now as bike shops are clearing the 2012 models out for the 2013. Depending on how much you intend to ride, that should be a great investment. In a bike shop, you will get properly fitted. Frames come in many different sizes and what size works for you is more than just a matter of how tall you are: how flexible you are, how long your reach is, your inseam, etc. all impact what bike size will work for you. Basic fittings are usually included in the purchase. The bike shop will adjust every aspect of your bike from handlebar position to seat position so it's perfect for you. If a new bike is not in the cards, then I would invest in bike shorts and/or a padded bike seat. You could also see if a bike shop will adjust your current bike for you. Good luck, and have fun riding.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    There is no one easy gear. You want the one that lets you spin the pedals and not "mash" them. In other words you want to be able to keep a comfortable rpm that is sustainable.

As far as the crotch.... Ride more and make sure your bike fits you. Your "tender bits" literally have to toughen up. If you want to go for padding, get it in your shorts, not the saddle. A squishy saddle will actually increase chaffing and make your hiney hurt more. People are amazed at how hard a cyclist seat is...
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    As far as the crotch.... Ride more and make sure your bike fits you. Your "tender bits" literally have to toughen up. If you want to go for padding, get it in your shorts, not the saddle. A squishy saddle will actually increase chaffing and make your hiney hurt more. People are amazed at how hard a cyclist seat is...

Only partly true. Squishy saddles are bad, since your sit bones sink into the smooshy stuff and that smoosh gets displaced and pushed up into your privates. A firmer saddle is better. But if by "tender bits" you mean external reproductive area...yeah, that doesn't toughen up like sit bones. Mucous membranes can't be toughened.

OP, if your crotch is hurting, then you definitely should look for a different saddle and possibly bike shorts, depending upon the length of your ride. A saddle with a cut out or relief divot/channel might be good.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    All true. I was think more in the line of sit bones and surrounding area. You are correct if it is you reproductive parts you need to get it fixed ASAP before damage is done. (numbness, bruising, friction etc)
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    i have a 5 gear bike and i need to get to work but i want to know what is the easiest gear for me to ride my bike on and also how do you make your crotch stop hurting on a bike
    its like the crotch muscles that hurt the most and the uphill kills my legs
  • zoom2
    Options
    its like the crotch muscles that hurt the most and the uphill kills my legs

Sounds like you need to be in an easier gear. By "crotch muscles" are you talking inner thighs? I get gracilis muscle pain if I'm on a saddle that is too pear-shaped (gradual transition from the saddle nose to the wider rear) vs. one that is more t-shaped (abrupt transition from nose to rear). I'm thinking if you're pushing too hard a gear you could have all sorts of muscle pains, though.
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options

im sorry but i have just noticed that the bike has 3 more gears on the other side!!!
  • zoom2
    Options
    Ahhh...15 speeds, much better! I think I would shoot to be in the 2 smaller rings on the front for a while. If you really wanted to invest in a good tool, I cannot recommend a cadence sensor enough--it helps you to stay in a pedal rotation range that is kinder to your knees. Common wisdom is generally that anything slower than 70rpm is mashing (that's about where I stand up to pedal). I can't even do 70 for very long. 80-90 is where I am happiest.